Author Topic: School can expel lesbian students, court rules  (Read 7712 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: School can expel lesbian students, court rules
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
I disagree.  This isn't a difficult case at all.  

1.  "The school's 'Christian conduct' code said students could be expelled for engaging in immoral or scandalous contact."

2.  Lutheran's teach that homosexuality is immoral, like pretty much every Christian religion that uses the Bible.

3.  The school determined the girls were either homosexuals or engaging in homosexual conduct (same thing if you ask me).  One of them told the entire world she was a bisexual.  The other told the world she was "not sure" about her sexual orientation.  According to the school, they both admitted that they told others they were lesbians.  

This is a no brainer.  

They should have gone to a public school once they became confused about their sexuality.  

It would benefit the school to explicitly list all such transgressions.  If not they open themselves up to lawsuits when one "objectively immoral or scandalous" activity is overlooked while another is punished.  The key is consistency and like anything else in life and certainly in the legal system, more precision is better than less.   

Also, if they are free to conduct themselves in a way that would be illegal for a public school then they should also forfeit all interaction of any kind with the public school system.   This should be within the rights of the public to demand such exclusion.   The religious schools can ignore rules that apply to public school and public school should have the right to exclude that school from interaction with them.  That would be totally fair.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »
It would benefit the school to explicitly list all such transgressions.  If not they open themselves up to lawsuits when one "objectively immoral or scandalous" activity is overlooked while another is punished.  The key is consistency and like anything else in life and certainly in the legal system, more precision is better than less.   

Also, if they are free to conduct themselves in a way that would be illegal for a public school then they should also forfeit all interaction of any kind with the public school system.   This should be within the rights of the public to demand such exclusion.   The religious schools can ignore rules that apply to public school and public school should have the right to exclude that school from interaction with them.  That would be totally fair.   

The school should continue to do exactly what it has been doing, which the court said was legal.  I haven't heard of any laundry list of lawsuits about people trying to force private religious schools to compromise their beliefs and teachings. 

The school doesn't need to do anything to appease paranoid anti-religious extremists.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 05:10:40 PM »
The school should continue to do exactly what it has been doing, which the court said was legal.  I haven't heard of any laundry list of lawsuits about people trying to force private religious schools to compromise their beliefs and teachings. 

The school doesn't need to do anything to appease paranoid anti-religious extremists.   

The public schools should definitely have the right to exclude the private school from any interaction with the public system. 

That would be completely fair and consistent for both the public and private school.

Would you agree?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 05:18:28 PM »
The public schools should definitely have the right to exclude the private school from any interaction with the public system. 

That would be completely fair and consistent for both the public and private school.

Would you agree?

most private schools that i know of at least here in texas only participate in sports and such with other private schools. In response to your question its up to both schools public and private to decide whether or not they will have interaction if the public school see something they dont like then they can choose not to associate with the private and vice versa.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 05:27:07 PM »
most private schools that i know of at least here in texas only participate in sports and such with other private schools. In response to your question its up to both schools public and private to decide whether or not they will have interaction if the public school see something they dont like then they can choose not to associate with the private and vice versa.

I grew up in TX too (Dallas area) and our school participated in activities with Jesuit High School and I think a few other large private schools. 

The public school system as a whole should have the right to exclude any school which does not comply with the laws that apply to public schools.   

I'll go even further - I think it should be required by law that if a school does not comply but the same laws that apply to the public school system then they should have no interaction whatsoever with the public school system. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 05:38:19 PM »
I grew up in TX too (Dallas area) and our school participated in activities with Jesuit High School and I think a few other large private schools. 

The public school system as a whole should have the right to exclude any school which does not comply with the laws that apply to public schools.   
cool im from houston been to dallas many a times gotta say that freeway system was designed by a moron though.

Yea same in houston the jesuit school is the only one i know of personally though. The district probably makes a decision so again if they see something they dont like they can choose not to affiliate with them.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 05:40:43 PM »
cool im from houston been to dallas many a times gotta say that freeway system was designed by a moron though.

Yea same in houston the jesuit school is the only one i know of personally though. The district probably makes a decision so again if they see something they dont like they can choose not to affiliate with them.

yeah the freeways are f'd in that city.  I left for college and came to CA and never went back (other than to visit). 
My whole family is still there in various cities.  My brother lives in Austin and that's probably the only place in TX I'd want to live

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 05:46:19 PM »

Would you agree?

No. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »
yeah the freeways are f'd in that city.  I left for college and came to CA and never went back (other than to visit). 
My whole family is still there in various cities.  My brother lives in Austin and that's probably the only place in TX I'd want to live
ya austin pretty cool ive got a few friends that live there, houstons not bad its actually gotten alot cooler and more edgy with places like mid town and rice village and downtown bars and clubs if i had to pick a city id pick new braunfels though I love that little town man.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 05:53:20 PM »
What's the big deal?

I'm forced to agree with BB here.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
Why not?

Because it's unnecessary and really doesn't make any sense.  A public school interacting with a private religious school in no way results in the public school endorsing the private school's teachings, practices, etc.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
I've given my reason why the public school should have the right to exclude them and even (IMO) they should be excluded by law.  It's there choice but it's fair.   If they choose not to comply with the laws that apply to public schools then they forfeit the right to any interaction with the public school system.

At the very least the individual school or school system should have the right to make that choice although personally I think it should be part of the law

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 05:56:31 PM »
What's the big deal?

I'm forced to agree with BB here.

lol.  Oh c'mon.  It's not that bad to agree with me.   :D  lol . . . .

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
Because it's unnecessary and really doesn't make any sense.  A public school interacting with a private religious school in no way results in the public school endorsing the private school's teachings, practices, etc.  

Interaction with a school that chooses to discriminate in direct violation of a law that applies to public schools could absolutely be viewed as tacit approval and a forced assumption of approval at that.

It really shouldn't be a problem for the private school.  Their religious ideals should easily outweigh any benefit of credibility that they get from interaction with public schools.  

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
lol.  Oh c'mon.  It's not that bad to agree with me.   :D  lol . . . .

It's still distasteful, LOL!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
It seems inconsistent that openly gay and lesbian people are allowed to be members of the Lutheran Church yet children who are just suspected of being gay are not allowed to attend a Lutheran School.

Maybe that school didn't get the official statement from the church from back in 1996:

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America officially and unequivocally welcomes gays and lesbians and their families. In an open letter in 1996, the Lutheran bishops reaffirmed this message and condemned homophobia and anti-gay discrimination:

“To gay and lesbian members, we write to you in hope and out of faith. We all live with the pain of a church that experiences sharp disagreements on some issues. Yet we walk beside you and we value your gifts and commitment to the Church. … We repudiate all words and acts of hatred toward gay and lesbian persons in our congregations and in our communities, and extend a caring welcome for gay and lesbian persons and their families. We call upon all our pastors, as they exercise pastoral care, to be sensitive to the gifts and needs of gay and lesbian members

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »
Good Job posting that. I thought of it earlier, ...but was too lazy to research what the Lutheran Church's official position was on gays and lesbians.
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
I've kissed my mother. I've kissed my sister, I kiss my neices all the time.
Does that make me an incestuous lesbian?  ::)

maybe

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »
maybe

If that school is a private entity, they should be able to refuse service to anyone they like.  Whites, blacks, gays, jews.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
If that school is a private entity, they should be able to refuse service to anyone they like.  Whites, blacks, gays, jews.

fine

just make the list

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 10:56:01 PM »
fine

just make the list

It should be the same with any private business.  If I own a convenient store and I refuse business to someone based on their skin color, I can be sued big time.  That isn't right, it is my business.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 11:15:13 PM »
It should be the same with any private business.  If I own a convenient store and I refuse business to someone based on their skin color, I can be sued big time.  That isn't right, it is my busiitness.

what skin color would you refuse in your imaginary store?

just wonder'n

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 11:39:24 PM »
what skin color would you refuse in your imaginary store?

just wonder'n

I would probably refuse hadji's.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2009, 03:01:22 AM »
Does the school teach tolerance, ...or love thy neighbour as thyself?
give me a break  ::)
!