Author Topic: Obama to unveil new Faith-Based office  (Read 2228 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama to unveil new Faith-Based office
« on: February 04, 2009, 03:44:53 PM »
Obama to unveil new Faith-Based office
Posted: 12:37 PM ET
(CNN) – President Obama will unveil a revamped office of Faith-Based Initiatives Thursday, and a new approach to the controversial program established by former President George Bush.

The office, tasked with steering federal funds to charitable organizations tied to churches and faith-based organizations, will be headed by Josh DuBois – a 26 year-old Pentecostal minister who was in charge of religious outreach for the Obama campaign.

According to a White House official, the basic structure of the office will remain the same as it was under Bush, but Obama is introducing a new component: an advisory council of 25 leaders — secular and religious — who will help inform the Office and provide advice on other policy issues.

According to a person familiar with the makeup of the council, some of the 25 members include:

–Rabbi David Saperstein, head of the DC Religious Action Center of Reform Judiasm
–Judith Vredenburgh, CEO of Big Brothers and Big Sisters of America
–Bishop Vashti McKenzie, first female Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church
–The Rev. Joel Hunter, the senior pastor of Northland church in Orlando, Florida
–The Rev. Frank Page, the conservative past president of the Southern Baptist Convention

The official announcement of the revamped office is set to take place Thursday at the National Prayer Breakfast.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/02/04/obama-to-unveil-new-faith-based-office/#more-38582

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Obama to unveil new Faith-Based office
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:12:49 AM »
Controversy surrounds Obama's faith office

• Story Highlights
    Bush faith office allowed religious groups to discriminate in hiring

During campaign, Obama said federal money shouldn't go to discriminatory groups

Obama faith office's position on the issue is unclear so far

Religious, secular groups take stands on both sides

By Alexander Mooney
CNN
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama's newly revamped Office of Faith Based Initiatives is reigniting a contentious debate across the ideological spectrum over whether religious organizations that accept funds from the government should be allowed to discriminate when hiring.

In one corner is a string of religion-backed organizations that have accepted federal funds from the 8-year-old program to advance their secular charity work. President Bush issued an executive order in 2002 that allowed these groups to continue their practice of discrimination with respect to hiring. Specifically, many of the organizations carry policies against hiring outside their religion or hiring homosexuals whose lifestyles conflict with church doctorines.

In the other corner are separation-of-church-and-state advocates and human-rights organizations that say the government must constitutionally compel these organizations to follow nondiscrimination laws if they accept federal funding. Anything less, they say, would at best be a violation of church-state separation and at worst an implicit endorsement of discrimination.

"[President Obama] is under heavy pressure from those who support faith-based hiring in these enterprises to not just eliminate it," said Ira C. Lupu, a professor at The George Washington University Law School. "Others say that hiring on the basis of religion is discriminatory and that the government should never subsidize that. As a political matter, there is a lot of pressure from both sides."

Obama himself waded into the debate during the presidential campaign, delivering a widely viewed speech in Zanesville, Ohio, during which he endorsed faith-based programs, but said the beneficiaries of such government aid should be forced to cease discriminatory practices.

"If you get a federal grant, you can't use that grant money to proselytize to the people you help and you can't discriminate against them -- or against the people you hire -- on the basis of their religion," Obama said in the July 1 speech at the East Side Community Ministry.

But since Election Day, the president and his aides have been far less clear on whether the new faith-based initiatives office will significantly depart from the Bush administration's policy.

In an executive order to be announced on Thursday, Obama does not rescind Bush's provision to allow faith-based groups to discriminate in their hiring practices, but does provide a legal process for organizations to go through in order to that ensure hiring is legal and non-discriminatory.

Administration sources say the new legal safeguard is a "key step forward" in addressing the thorny issue of faith-based hiring.

But Dr. Joel Hunter, a senior pastor at Northland Church in Longwood, Florida, who will be part of a 25-member council of religious leaders in the faith-based office, said the issue is a particularly tricky one for religious leaders.

"We're going to have to work that out, because on the one hand, you don't want to use federal funds to discriminate. But on the other hand, we can't have religious organizations taking money on the condition that they will hire people who live a lifestyle contrary to what they teach," he said.

If the Obama administration moves slowly on resolving the issue, the new president risks alienating a large bloc of his supporters, many of whom are already wary of faith-based funding from the federal government.

"In an ideal world, there would be no faith-based office," said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State.[/b] "But if we must have this office, certain steps must be taken to bring it into line with the commands of the Constitution."

For the faith-based groups, the issue is not so clear-cut. Under the Civil Rights act of 1964, faith-based organizations have a right to discriminate in hiring with respect to religion. Many of these organizations argue they risk losing their fundamental identity if the government forces them to hire individuals outside their faith.

"To us, it's not a matter of discrimination, it's a matter of our faith ethos," said Samuel Rodriguez, the president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference. "What they are telling us is to negate who we are in order to acquire federal grants. ... That's just unacceptable."

Rodriguez, whose organization represents more than 19,000 churches, said he and other religious leaders have directly communicated their concerns to the Obama administration and are confident the president will not seek to rescind the policy.

"President Obama understands he's at risk of alienating the vast majority of the evangelical community," Rodriguez said.

But opponents argue organizations use the right to hire within their religion as an excuse to implicitly discriminate against gays and lesbians -- many of whom may share the same faith as the organization but are deemed not good practitioners of it.

"The Bush administration's policies and initiatives that have allowed religious institutions to discriminate against [lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual] Americans with public money are not consistent with the values espoused by President Obama and his Administration," Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign said. "We are hopeful that the new administration will take the necessary steps to address this critical issue of fairness expeditiously."

At Pastor Rick Warren's presidential forum in August, then-presidential candidate Obama said a distinction should be made between how federally funded groups hire within their own mission and how they hire when it comes to secular charitable work.

"The devil's in the details," he said then. "What we do want to make sure of is that as a general principle we're not using federal funding to discriminate, but that is only when it comes to the narrow program that is being funded by the federal government. That does not affect any of the other ministries that are being taken, that are taking place."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:21:16 AM »
The government has no business getting involved in this nonsense.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:24:09 AM »
The government has no business getting involved in this nonsense.

I agree - we shouldn't spend 1 cent of tax payer money on this kind of nonsense.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:00:11 AM »
I agree - we shouldn't spend 1 cent of tax payer money on this kind of nonsense.

This is why I dont want the polticians to get any more $$$ from us.  They waste everything.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
Obama has delusions of grandeur.  I mean, he thinks he's some kind of rock star or superhero and he's determined to do everything bigger and better than his predecessor.  Bigger and better!!!  That seems to be his mantra.  And why the hell shouldn't it be?  He's got a blank check signed by the American taxpayer.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »
Barry Lynn.   ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:33:54 AM »

I am a Goldwater Conservative. 

This type of garbage has no business being paid for by taxpayers.

Obama should be ashamed of himself for pushing this type of nonsense that the left would scream about if it were Bush doing this.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »

Obama should be ashamed of himself for pushing this type of nonsense that the left would scream about if it were Bush doing this.

I've thought this was ridiculous since the day Bush established this (apparently his first official executive order)

It's completely innappropriate and shouldn't get a cent of tax dollars

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:17:02 PM »
Barry Lynn.   ::)

yeah - too bad there aren't more like him.  One of the rare rational christians in this country.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:20:13 PM »
yeah - too bad there aren't more like him.  One of the rare rational christians in this country.

::)  He's an extremist.  He ought to go work for the ACLU. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »

Actually, Obama seems to be setting up the US Govt to be the next major religion in this world.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
::)  He's an extremist.  He ought to go work for the ACLU. 

your definition of extremist seems to be anyone who disagrees with your extremist view

textbook example of projection

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 12:55:26 PM »
Actually, Obama seems to be setting up the US Govt to be the next major religion in this world.

my comment was in reference to Barry Linn

how can the US Govt be a religion?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:58:26 PM »
your definition of extremist seems to be anyone who disagrees with your extremist view

textbook example of projection

My definition of extremist includes Barry Lynn.  And the ACLU.  And you.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »
My definition of extremist includes Barry Lynn.  And the ACLU.  And you.   :)

like I said classic projection:

In psychology, psychological projection (or projection bias) is a defense mechanism in which one attributes one’s own unacceptable or unwanted thoughts and/or emotions to others. According to Wade, Tavris (2000) projection occurs when a person's own unacceptable or threatening feelings are repressed and then attributed to someone else..[1]

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »
 ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 01:02:30 PM »
my comment was in reference to Barry Linn

how can the US Govt be a religion?

Are you serious????????

Many people even on this board fit the definition of following the Obama and USG religion.

They worship the state and and place all their hopes and wishes in the ability of the USG to provide everything and anything, all wishes, all needs, all sustinence.

They look to Obama and DC for everything,

They think their rights to life liberalty and the pursuit of happiness come the government.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 01:09:19 PM »
Are you serious????????

Many people even on this board fit the definition of following the Obama and USG religion.

They worship the state and and place all their hopes and wishes in the ability of the USG to provide everything and anything, all wishes, all needs, all sustinence.

They think their rights to life liberalty and the pursuit of happiness come the government.

There may be some Obama worshipers here and certainly there are in this country but (as I've said before) I think they will be disappointed when they realize he's not Super Lib and the republicans may come to grudgingly agree with him ....when he actually starts doing something and getting tangible results.

There are already a few things he's done that I don't like at all ....including perpetuating this Office of Faith based crap.  I'm also not a fan of his pick for Commerce Secretary and a few other things. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
This religious BS has got to go.
Embarrassing.
As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »

Bush did do/start this shit.  Am I missing something?  No I'm not happy it's going to the next stage. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 06:03:40 PM »
Bush did do/start this shit.  Am I missing something?  No I'm not happy it's going to the next stage. 

I dpnt remember.  If so, it was wrong.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 06:19:52 PM »
Are you serious????????

I dont think so.    We went from having the most corrupt 8 yrs in recent history to having someone speak up as to matters that matter.  As you can see hes catching hell for trying to push in packages like canceling e-verify and sodding the concrete lawn.
The bottom line is we had to listen to bush tell us the market is strong, while we were wondering what goddamn planet he was living on.....then mccain did the same thing and sealed the presidency for obama.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 06:24:02 PM »
I dpnt remember.  If so, it was wrong.

Not only did Bush start it.

It was the first friggin thing he did.

Apparently Bush thought the most urgent issue facing the country at that time was the lack of an Office of Faith Based Initiaves.

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/2001-wbush.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 06:24:46 PM »
Not you, but others.

Obama is going to be a monumental disaster.

Look GWB screwed up big time, no doubt, but Obama, after only two weeks, is showing he is racing to match GWBS terrible record, only years and years sooner.