Author Topic: OBAMA TO SEEK 80% REDUCTION IN US NUCLEAR WEAPONS - TIMES UK  (Read 2167 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
OBAMA TO SEEK 80% REDUCTION IN US NUCLEAR WEAPONS - TIMES UK
« on: February 04, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »
Content from the Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph newspapers and video from Telegraph TV. 

By Jon Swaine
Last Updated: 1:05AM GMT 05 Feb 2009

Barack Obama has been hit by a series of set-back in his presidency Photo:

AP Mr Obama will move to open fresh arms reduction talks with Moscow and seek an agreement to cut the number of warheads to 1,000 each, according to The Times.

The two countries must have cut their stockpiles from about 10,000 to 5,000 by December under the 1991 US-Soviet Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (Start).

Mr Obama promised to make the reduction of nuclear weapon numbers a priority of his presidency.

An unnamed administration official is reported to have told the newspaper: "We are going to re-engage Russia in a more traditional, legally binding arms reduction process.

"We are prepared to engage in a broader dialogue with the Russians over issues of concern to them. Nobody would be surprised if the number reduced to the 1,000 mark for the post-Start treaty."

A review of the Bush administration's plan for a missile defence shield in eastern Europe could be central to any deal between the countries.

Last week, Moscow shelved plans to install its own missiles near Poland after the White House signalled it would at least delay the system, which was due to be installed in the Czech Republic and Poland.

It is believed a decision to abandon the missile shield altogether could remove a key impediment to Russia's participation in new nuclear reduction talks.

___________________-

CONGRATULATIONS YOU MORONS WHO VOTED FOR THIS TRAITOR.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: OBAMA TO SEEK 80% REDUCTION IN US NUCLEAR WEAPONS - TIMES UK
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:55:15 PM »
Great news. Most the world will be thrilled to see the only nation to ever drop the atomic, the nation that is always in perpetual war, the nation that has killed many, the nation that has and talked of more invasions of nations as they have WMD - to stop the nuke building themselves. The US has long expected to build a nuke arsenal while getting pissed when anyone else gets them.

"Defence" is a non issue - be real, USA is untouchable on large scale, this is a great move. Cessation of large scale murder is always good - no matter who is doing it.

Waiting to be flamed to death for this post now ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:56:52 PM »
"MAD" worked very well and resulted in far fewer deaths than if it did not exist.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »
"MAD" worked very well and resulted in far fewer deaths than if it did not exist.

I'm betting it's safe to say that even with only 20% of our nukes, we could still take out the entire world.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:12:18 PM »
I'm betting it's safe to say that even with only 20% of our nukes, we could still take out the entire world.

When China, Iran, India, France, Pakistan, et al all agree to go along with this /i would look at it.  But to initiate this garbage with Russia alone seems not only reckless and insane, but sending a terrible message to our enemies.

This jerk really needs to read Sun Tzu.

He seems to have not realized he is the Commander in Chief yet.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »
I don't understand why anyone cares about this issue.

If we have enough nukes to kill every living thing on the earth, isn't that enough?

I mean, extra is just a waste of money, right? 

If Obama said we should spend billions on extra "spare" anything, we'd call him a wasteful fool.  Yet Bush spends that much on something spare that we'll never need, and it's patriotic?

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 07:43:48 PM »
You guys just don't get it - the guy with the biggest arsenal wins. How will those conservative church goers feel when they know the US has less weapons of mass destruction than our enemies - it brings a tear to my eye ... sorry ... i can't go on  :'(

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 07:44:30 PM »
Great news. Most the world will be thrilled to see the only nation to ever drop the atomic, the nation that is always in perpetual war, the nation that has killed many, the nation that has and talked of more invasions of nations as they have WMD - to stop the nuke building themselves. The US has long expected to build a nuke arsenal while getting pissed when anyone else gets them.

"Defence" is a non issue - be real, USA is untouchable on large scale, this is a great move. Cessation of large scale murder is always good - no matter who is doing it.

You seem to have a massive grudge with the USA and every single action it takes.

jimijimi

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »

i like living in a free country, this country will be weak with your beliefs and the rest of you far left idots.
that's the only reason i picked mc caine because he would't let that happen. what is wrong with you people
there is so many radicials who want us killed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 09:05:51 PM »
i like living in a free country, this country will be weak with your beliefs and the rest of you far left idots.

If we have enough nukes to blow up the world/MAD at only 20% of today's stores...

why waste the $ to have 5 times that, just sitting in silos?

We'd never need them - experts agree on that.

it's just about funneling $ to the defense firms dude.

jimijimi

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 09:12:03 PM »
whoever is for cutting 80% of weapons is weak and probaly would run before they fought for freedom.
why do you think we are the strongest country in the world. tell obama we just can't sit down and sip tea
with these nuts

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 09:21:30 PM »
whoever is for cutting 80% of weapons is weak and probaly would run before they fought for freedom.

I don't understand that.  You're not addressing my point.

If 20% is enough to adequately defend the USA, why would you waste the $ and go for 100%?

jimijimi

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 09:41:16 PM »
I don't understand that.  You're not addressing my point.

If 20% is enough to adequately defend the USA, why would you waste the $ and go for 100%?

240 their not talking about building new weapons their talking about destroying 80% of
what we have, so lets say Russia has a 1000 warheads and we have 4000 warheads so
by destroying 80% that would leave us with 800, correct me if i'm wrong

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 09:44:28 PM »
240 their not talking about building new weapons their talking about destroying 80% of
what we have, so lets say Russia has a 1000 warheads and we have 4000 warheads so
by destroying 80% that would leave us with 800, correct me if i'm wrong

Right.  And I'm saying that if 800 warheads is still way more than what's required to destory the planet - why spend the $ on more.

I'm not advocating going below MAD levels.  I'm saying if you have 3000 nukes that would never be needed in a conflict, why waste the $?

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 10:24:36 PM »
240 is spot on here.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 10:51:03 PM »
When China, Iran, India, France, Pakistan, et al all agree to go along with this /i would look at it.  But to initiate this garbage with Russia alone seems not only reckless and insane, but sending a terrible message to our enemies.

This jerk really needs to read Sun Tzu.

He seems to have not realized he is the Commander in Chief yet.

What is with the hard-on you have these days for Sun Tzu?

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 11:57:03 PM »
I want nu-clear weapons for every hard working American in this great country of yours.

jimijimi

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 05:38:13 AM »
240 is spot on here.

Are you nuts? so you want other countries to have more warheads than us, go back to your little safe world.
if you far left wacko's had your way we would't be free, you probly believe in globle warming to? well it's 25 degrees
here in south florida.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 06:01:51 AM »
What is with the hard-on you have these days for Sun Tzu?

I re-read the book the Art of War recently and know that what Obama is doing is not only projecting weakness, but is leading us to even worse disaster than GWB.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 06:31:57 AM »
Good point.

And I'm sure it will save the military lots of money to put into other projects - more elite tactical forces eg.

But as far as where the military would get the most bang for the buck, I really have little clue, I will admit.

But I fail to see how nuclear weapon capacity beyond a certain point would have any meaning.

As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 06:33:53 AM »
Let's wait and see what our military thinks about this.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 06:54:48 AM »
Its about getting ur birds out of the silo's before the other guy can hit u. If u have 20 nukes and the other guy has 20 and then u cut to 8 apiece...but he launches first...then u might not get to hit back. Further wrapped in this will be cuts for new and better weapons systems.
L

jimijimi

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 07:51:23 AM »
Stay strong USA, and don't listen to a bunch of cry babies

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »
Good point.

And I'm sure it will save the military lots of money to put into other projects - more elite tactical forces eg.

But as far as where the military would get the most bang for the buck, I really have little clue, I will admit.

But I fail to see how nuclear weapon capacity beyond a certain point would have any meaning.

Correct.  I just don't get when I hear:

so you want other countries to have more warheads than us

It doesn't matter who has 'more', as long as we have enough to eradicate them if need be.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 11:15:21 AM »
Let's wait and see what our military thinks about this.

I agree.

I somehow think that once USA have "enough" nuclear power to destroy the world, wouldn't anti-nuclear tech be where it's at?

Like robot shields and shit?
As empty as paradise