Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 548213 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2005, 07:50:00 PM »
Mr. International contest run by Eddie Sylvestre........great contest with awesome trophies.

I beleive the hype between Oliva and Arnold was somehow prompted by Dan Lurie........or the fact that Oliva competed in the NABBA Universe with Pearl and Arnold chose to go into the Olympia thus leaving Pearl,Oliva,and Park to compete alone.

Kevin,Was Reeves first flick "Hercules"........I `m thinking it might have been a bit part in "Athena" but I`m not sure.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2005, 07:52:28 PM »
I have a few pics of Bill Pettis I will add to this thread when they empty the pic uploader.

Bill still competes at the Muscle Beach event that is put on by Bill Grant on the beach..........formerly promoted for years by Bill Howard.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2005, 08:02:23 PM »
Wes that would be great.  This guy was big and strong.  More I see all your guys pictures I wish I had a camera back then to take some with.  Hindsight you know.  PLus a picture is worth a thousand words and my posts would be shorter

619Rules

« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2005, 08:18:19 PM »

5.  George Effirmen had a gym in Vegas
6. I told him I would never wear a pair of Speedos.  I could barely keep "Moby" in the shorts I wore let alone try to keep him in a pair of Speedos (hehe).

Moby...and OP posing trunks.....oh sh*t is that funny.....pulleeezzeee.. .I am laughing my ass off, that is too damn funny.........let me know next time you unleash the funny stories so I dont toss my dinner from laughter...
 ;D ;D ;D

Mike Dayton was the hangman-used to do that as well as break handcuffs-in the front, not behind his back-....Dayton also sold a book called something like "Chi Mind Control" back in the day for $40 (that was serious cash back in the 70's), Dayton had a martila arts background.....Don Ross also used to do the strongman type stuff...Dayton also trained at Clancy Ross's Mr America club in 79-when Don Ross was manager....Dayton and his sister were editors of a number of small time BBing magazines, have not heard anything about him in some time..

Eiferman had a Las Vegas gym for years-he moved it over to Orange County CA and had one there for the last 3-5 years he was alive-Eiferman was a great guy and one of the best ambassadors for the sport there ever was....

Reeves first feature was Hercules, and it was dubbed for America-but Reeves had small parts before the Hercules role...including a role in for the worst Hollywood director of all time Ed Wood-cant recall the name off the top of my head....

Onlyme..you should be a comedian...really......

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2005, 08:24:28 PM »
619 the funny thing is, is that is actually the major reason why I didn't compete.  I felt embarrased to wear those things.  I jsut couldn't imagine walking around with this bulge in the front.  Plus I was worried about getting excited too.  That material was so soft and slippery I firgured with it rubbing me I would get exctied.  Jsut think if I didn;t care who knows I could have been Mr. Olympia.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2005, 08:26:24 PM »
onlyme,I`ll post Pettis and Dave Johns pics along with some of Mendenhall once they fix the friggin` uploader...........great thread,I love the stories guys.

Dayton could also bend or tear coins in half and he was also going to try jumping off the Golden Gate bridge but was stopped by authorities.

I don`t think anyone ever survived the jump Chi mind control or not.......I think he got lucky that they stopped him.

I also have a pic of Dayton hanging himself.

It would be a plerasure to post them all and I will tomorrow......if they fix the damn uploader!  :)

619Rules

« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2005, 08:34:23 PM »
onlyme,I`ll post Pettis and Dave Johns pics along with some of Mendenhall once they fix the friggin` uploader...........great thread,I love the stories guys.

Dayton could also bend or tear coins in half and he was also going to try jumping off the Golden Gate bridge but was stopped by authorities.

I don`t think anyone ever survived the jump Chi mind control or not.......I think he got lucky that they stopped him.

I also have a pic of Dayton hanging himself.

It would be a plerasure to post them all and I will tomorrow......if they fix the damn uploader!  :)
Please post the Dave Johns pics-he is not that well known, but he was bigger than anyone in the gym...and I really admired the guy, he died so young...

I had forgotten about Dayton and the bridge stunt, Dayton trained at Clancy's gym then, so did I, and he was going to hang himself as he jumped off the Golden Gate, was supposed to snap the rope and then survive the fall.....I had not thought about that for 20 years, I am surprised anyone can remember that stuff.....thanks wes.......how did you know that if your on the east coast...

Don Ross used to bend steel bars and tear the phone books and such-and as I recall gossip was he used to smoke PCP right before he did the stunt, so he had the power-that is secand hand hearsay talk-I have no idea if he actually did that....but I have seen Dayton break the handcuffs and hang himself.....

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2005, 08:53:52 PM »
619,I started training back in 1969, and would voraciously read all the musclebooks they put out.

I read a lot of that stuff in the mags.

I get most of my pics from the web.

I was actaully in a scene in the movie Pumping Iron where Katz poses at Mt. Park ion Holyoke Mass............my hometown is right next door.....met Arnold,Franco,Lou,Leon Brown,and a ton of other guys there when I was a kid.

Saw Franco blow up a hot water bottle until it popped,and becd some re-bar in his teeth.

I`ll even post the pic of me from Pumping Iron if everyone promises not to laugh!!  ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2005, 10:30:09 PM »
Wait Wes if I remember right in Pumping Iron Arnold met a guy in the gym named Wes.  He showed him how to do the Archer pose.  Is that you

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2005, 11:40:32 PM »
Does anyone know the story with Ray Mentzer and the bank

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2005, 01:09:13 AM »
Does anyone know the story with Ray Mentzer and the bank

Damn I've been busy for two days and this thread has gone crazy.

The incident at the bank was Mike not Ray. I've told it before on here. I asked Mike if it was true and he told me it was him and said "it sound like something Ray would have done but it was me".

I went to dinner and country/western dancing with Pete Siegel and Rachel McLish one time. Rachel was very cool and a lot of fun. I used to see her at Gold's all the time when she was "with" Ray.

Gary Strydom ALWAYS stopped in the middle of his workout and came over to shake my hand. That always impressed me because "who the f*ck am I" for him to do that.

Onlyme remember Sousolito South the fancy Resturant right in from of Tequilla Willies. Waller and Tony used to go there all the time.

Anyone remember the Swedish Inn Smorgesbord in Lincoln accross form Loyola? Ken Waller and Tony got banned from there because they ate to much. That place had great food.

Also right near the hotel were Wallers gym was Dinah's chicken had (and still does) all you can eat chicken on Monday or Tuesday. All the guys from Golds used to go there.

619rules Dave Zackery is a good guy and big mofo. He trained in Redondo for a while. He was working for Icarian the last I saw him but moved out of the area.
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2005, 01:22:57 AM »
Yes Saulsilito South was where the Raiders had an open tab.  That ended after just a few months because they would go in and bring everyone they knew to dinner and the bills got to be so much the team decided to close the account.  That place was good.  I remember Dinahs.  On Tuesday we'd go there about 10 of us and eat about 60 punds of chicken.

Yes it was probably Mike but I think Ray told me the story.  It's about the robbery note right?

Ray when he was heavy on the shit had a bad time with Rachel once at a 6th story hotel room.  I guess he had her over his head going to throw her off the balcony.  He was a little nuts.  DO you remember a guy named Dave Prokop (?).  He wrote for one of the magazines.  I have a little story about that.  And were you there when Gene Mozee came to take pics of me working out.

And as a little kid I ate at that Smorgebord.  I ate at one in Hawthorne called Sir Georges Smorgebord quite a bit with my friends.  There were 4 Samoan brothers who used to come with us.  hey would eat so much food the managers always warned us.  They would go into the restroom and throw up everything they ate so they could eat more.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2005, 04:41:37 AM »
Some pics to go with the great stories.
Dave Johns.
And Dave checking out Sandra Kongs "trophies".

[attachment deleted by admin]

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2005, 04:47:05 AM »
Dave Johns winning the Mr America
Rachel DeLish.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2005, 04:49:44 AM »
Mike Dayton.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2005, 04:52:48 AM »
Not many people can say that they were in Pumping Iron,but Tim Wescott (Wes),is the guy in red in the middle with the tache.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2005, 05:01:13 AM »
Thanks Shep......that saves me some pic posting time!!  ;D

onlyme........no I`m not that Wes from PI,but he did log on to ironage one time about a year ago......can`t quite remember what he said he was doing these days, but I know it is something to do with the fitness industry...........perso nal training, and selling an equipment line of exercise machines.........I think,my memory is shot.

Here`s a  pic of Bill Pettis.......then a close up of his bicep!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2005, 05:08:54 AM »
Shep,now my name is out............I`m gonna` get flamed!!  ;D

Actually,I`m the geek with the weird part in my hair,in the maroon shirt.........the black kid in the blue sweater, was my training partner, Ray Harris........one of the hardest trainers I have ever seen bar none,and stronger than hell.

Another shot of Dave Johns,and one of Mendenhal!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2005, 05:25:18 AM »
The Mentzer brothers!

Gary Strydom!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2005, 05:28:24 AM »
I remember Mike Dayton broke his leg in many places doing one of his bridge jumps.  His picture was in Iron Man in a cast from ankle to hip.

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2005, 08:08:24 AM »
WOW!  So many memories come back since my last post yesterday. I gotta touch on a few here.

You're all wrong on Steve Reeves' first feature film and I don't know if Ed Woods produced it or not, but his first film was "Jailbait" in which he played kind of an assistant detective to the main character.

Don't doubt me on this one cause Reeves told me all about it personally.

They even wrote a scene into that movie where Steve is shirtless, but I forget the reason why. I think he was changing his shirt to go solve a murder or something.

It probably was an Ed Woods film because I do recall it being among the worst films I have ever seen.

Yea, Only, it was George who had that gym in Las Vegas. When George was alive he gave me a George Eifferman Gold Medallion. His wife told me it was quite an honor cause it didn't give them out randomly or without a lot of pride.

When Steve Reeves passed away, George was in a hospital or care home and a couple of us planned to find the facility (in Las Vegas I believe) and pay him a visit. One of the family members notified one of us on the visiting details and asked us not to mention Steve Reeves' death as it would have an adverse effect on George who was a very close friend of Steves.

For reason beyond my recollection, we never got the opportunity to make that visit and I sincerely regret is to this day.

I last heard that George's wife is living someplace in So Cal now or is it Hawaii, Only Me?

Matt Mendenhall ..... Matt is an old friend I have not seen in a real long time. I was in contact with him until he departed Texas for points unknown. I have some spectacular shots which he sent us before he appeared on the national scene.

Jeff E can tell some great Matt Mendenhall stories. I'll try to drum up a few and pass them on. I guess you all know that Matt worked in the Weider offices for a spell.

I have been told that it was not uncommon for visitors to the Weider office to see Matt in the cornor standing on his head. It was the new Weider Principal or something.

Bill Pettis ...  I haven't seen Bill in many a moon. But back about ten years or so he was always hanging out at the Pit. Gonna head down that way today and see if anyone is still around.

BTW - The last time I was at the Pit there was a huge black bodybuilder there who must have had a 26-28 inch waist. I never got his name but it looked like he was from Jamaca someplace. Anyone know who I am speaking of.

Dave Johns - A great guy who I have mentioned on this thread or another recently.
His good friend was Dave Shaw (thanks somebody) who was an other spectacular person in his own right.

Billy Grant - WOW! I knew his sister too! (Phyllis?), but that goes back so many years ago. he was still a kid. He wanted me to start a new organization and promised me that all would join up, I was too busy doing other things to take him seriously though.

Hey, OnlyMe, tell your Alan I. wedding banquet story!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2005, 08:17:28 AM »
Great stuff Kevin..........keep it coming please!!

I do remember hearing about "Jailbait" but don`t recall ever seeing it!!

Bill Grant and Steve Reeves!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2005, 08:23:33 AM »
I`m sure you guys know most of these people.............Dave Mastorakis is a good friend of mine.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2005, 08:36:20 AM »
World Gym group................... early pic of Ric Drasin,Waller,and Arnold at the original Golds!!

619Rules

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2005, 09:04:04 AM »
World Gym group................... early pic of Ric Drasin,Waller,and Arnold at the original Golds!!
Eddia Gulliani is in the back row-used to be the manager of World Gym-great guy. First time I made it to World Gym, I was a little puny 21 year old kid, I asked Eddie if I could llok around, and he said yes, and then Eddie asked where I was from, and I told him I was from Nor Cal, and he said "go ahead and train for free", I will never forget that.

In the gold's Gym Pic, in the back on the right you have the Grymko, and looking at the pic on the left of Grymko is Ed Connors and on the right is Tim Kimber. Behind Chris Dickerson is a big guy in a red tshirt-thats Jon Loyd, managed the first Licensed Gold's-San Francisco Gold's on Valencia Street.

Here is the Steeve Reeves film directed by Ed Wood, (of which there was a movie made about Ed Wood starring Johnny Depp a few years back-worst dirctor of all time)-

Jail Bait (1954)

Directed by
Edward D. Wood Jr.

Vic Brady draws young Don Gregor into a life of crime. He then blackmails Gregor's plastic surgeon father into fixing up his face so he can evade the cops. This is Steve Reeves' first speaking part.

Lyle Talbot   ....    Insp. Johns   
Dolores Fuller   ....    Marilyn Gregor   
Herbert Rawlinson   ....    Dr. Boris Gregor

Steve Reeves   ....    Lt. Bob Lawrence