Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 549806 times)

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2005, 09:17:05 AM »
Here's another TRUE STORY that some of you will find it hard to believe.

I have a good bud who was a national contender for many years and he has a good number of "overalls" to prove it. You all know him.

OK, it's Ernie Santiago,

We were sitting on the beach one day soaking up the rays, when we see this unreal looking musclehead kid of about 18 - 20 strolling up the beach looking around as if he lost his favorite dog.

Eventually he sees us sitting there and makes a beeline as fast as he can.

Wothout a word of introduction, he flops down on the sand like a big overgrown puppy and says, "WOW! I finally found you guys. I been looken ever since I left New Jersey!" (We happened to be 5,000 + miles west of NJ at that time in a place called Hawaii, so we were damn impressed.)

Then he starts talking faster than a speeding bullet about how much he appreciates and respects Ernie  and he wants to find out all he can so he can go back to N J and be just like him.

Well this kid was pretty damn close to Ernie's contest condition already so we told him it would only take a matter of weeks if he would start cutting up on a raw  fish diet.

And he did just that. And joined us on the beach each day to talk about his diet and his gains and his plans for the future. But he refused to talk about his past!

All we knew was that he was a musclehead kid from NJ who decided to search for his hero and found him in Hawaii.

It didn't take Ernie and I too long to realize that we wern't talking to a rocket scientist here. Just one big loveable kid whose heart was in the right place and enoyed our company talking about stuff he loved more than anything else in the whole wide world. And that included Bodybuilding and anything and everything and everyone  that had anything to do with bodybuilding.

This mutual friendship went on for about 6 weeks and "Stan" became our closest new friend and confidant.

One day Stan asked me if I would drive him to the other side of the island to see the big waves he had heard about.

So we hopped in the car and headed north to see the 20+ footers that were hitting hard.

Stan was super impressed and got very emotional. "I never thought I'd live to see the  the day these monsters hit the beach! This is so unreal!" .

And he took my hand and shook it hard and thanked me profusely and told me he wanted to take me someplace good for lunch to show his appreciation.

So on the way back, we stopped at someplace good for lunch and Stan asked me if he could tell me a story about how he lived in New Jersey (Mamouth, I beleive).

And so his story strted, but only after he made me promise not to laugh ......

"Kevin, I've always believed in Superman and ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to be just like him. When I was still in grammer school, my mom knew just how I felt, so she made me a Superman costume for Holloween. It was great and fit perfectls and was warm enough to go trick or treating without a jacket.

I loved that Superman suit so much that I decided to wear it every day and even to school, but my mom convinced me otherwise saying that if I wore it to school, all the other kids would learn of Superman's real identity.

So I gave that some thought and quickly came up with the idea to wear my Superman costume under a suit of clothes just like  the "real" Superman did.

So the next day, I got out of bed and put on my Superman suit and then hid my identity by wearing my one and only suit and tie.

And then I found an old pair of glasses.

And off I went to school, checking for telephone booths along the way.

Kev, I did this for three years straight! I was fine in winter but I almost died during the hot summer months. As far as I know, no one discovered my true identity except some neighbors in the area who had to call on Superman for help on a few occasions!

The neighbors who learned my true identity promised never to tell and I  soon became the neighborhood hero.

Then I got a job at the local newspaper ,,,,,,, NAH, only kidden, But I did get a job with the railroad loading and unloading heavy gear  and it soon became evident that I could never unload heavy geat like the real Superguy could, so I started lifing weights and eventually grew out of my Superman costume and Clark kent suit and got a chance to cool off a bit during the summer months.

Then I saw some magazines with Ernie's pictures in it and dicided to take off work and find him and shake his hand.

And now look! You guys are my best friends of all time! That's a real super accomplishment in itself!

And then, for some unknown reason, Stan started talking about steroids. Their chemical makeup and how they worked in the human body and stuff that I figures only an educated physician should know.

All at once he became a PHD. The transformation was amazing. But then he almost cried a bit and said, " I think lots of friends I'm gonna have some day will get sick from taking too much steroids! And I don't want to see that happen."

And then he became good old Stan once again, like a big puppy wanting to take a run on the beach.

One day Stan was gone. He took off and went just like he appeared.  We think he went back to packing trains on the East Coast but none of us are sure.

But we sure did miss him and we sure were glad he was a part of our lives for a few brief weeks.

Now whenever I trip over to the North Shore to see the big waves of winter, I look around to see if Stan is also  there enjoying it. So far I have not found him.

I'm grateful that this sport gives us this kind of opportunity to meet the good guy characters that it attracts and generates. They bring back memories that are worth repeating

Thanks, Superman! You saved the day even if you  couldn't leap over tall buildings with a single bound! And I'm still waiting for that picture of you in the telephone booth.

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2005, 09:35:30 AM »
Thanks for your responses, all.

JAILBAIT is now available on DVD. I got a copy but I can't recall where I found it. A Yahoo search may help. Also got a DVD about Reeves exclusively. I think I got that at the MuscleMag store in Venice.

HEY! Reeves has a major part in ATHENA. I got an autographed VHS copy of that movie and I do recall seeing in it a major theater on Market Street in San Francisco the year it came out.

I personally think he was in his best shape of all time in that movie. It is still available on VHS if you search hard enough.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2005, 11:14:35 AM »
Maybe this might help when pointing someone out in this photo.

If you're good....name them all.

[attachment deleted by admin]

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2005, 11:18:44 AM »
This one is much easier...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2005, 11:45:18 AM »

Thanks knny........here`s who I got:

1-?
2-?
3-?
4-Ken Waller
5-?
6-Andreas Cahling
7-?
8-Lisa Lyon
9-Louie Ferrigno
10-?
11-Mike Mentzer
12-Ray Mentzer
13-Bob Jodkiewicz
14-Bill Grant
15-?
16-?
17-?
18-Tom Platz
19-?
20-Chris Dickerson
21-Dave Mastorakis
22-Ron Tueful
23-Mike Torchia
24-?
25-?
26-?
27-?
28-?
29-?
30-Manuel Perry
31-Bill Reynolds
32-?
33-Kent Kuehn
34-?
35-?
36-?
37-?
38-?
39-?
40-?
41-?
42-?
43-?
44-Pete Grymkowski

The others......I have no clue!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2005, 11:49:53 AM »
Yes 619 Eddie G and Zabo (Chief) worked the front for Joe at World's.  I think Eddie still does work at World's.   And Zabo is still alive I am sure he is there too.  They were Joe's best and most trusted friends.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2005, 11:49:57 AM »
The second photo is much easier as they are all well known.

1-Samir
2-Greg Deferro
3-Platz
4-Rachel McLish
5-Ricky Wayne
6-Ed Giulianni
7-Bob Paris
8-Joe Gold

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2005, 11:52:24 AM »
My eyes are failing.  27 is David Paul I think and 28 is Peter Paul

SHRREDDitUP

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2005, 11:55:05 AM »
Okay here is a parking lot story kind of.  As 619 said the parking lot was small and at street level.  THe gym was built above it.  There was a small store you could buy food at on the diagonal corner.  It was so funny looking down out the window towards that little store when guys would walk across to get something to eat or drink.  All the traffic would stop people getting out of their cars to take pictures it was something.  Anyway, me, Ron Depolito (who actually got me into the sport and paid my fees ($150 for the year), and I think Manny Perry.  We were downstairs in front of the gym looking at one of Manny's custom Cadillacs.  We're talking and all of a sudden a car come out of the parking lot and almost hits us.  They didn;t stop or anything.  Waller starts yelling at them and cussing then starts running after the car.  We are looking at Kenny running after this car and couldn't believe he was running so far.  We look at each other and jump in the car and take off after Kenny.  We catch up to him maybe a few blocks up.  They turned right and Kenny kept chasing them.  Well finally when we get to Kenny, Ronny yells "get in the f**kin car dumbass"  Kenny slows down and sits on the curb.  He is so out of breath.  Ronny gets out and asks Kenny "what the f**k are you doing".  Kenny say (out of breath) I thought they'd hit a red light or stop.  It was so funny.  Kenny liked to fight and had a short fuse.  Does anyone remember the name of Waller's gym under the hotel along the 405 freeway.  I read somebody wrote that they think Kal has a gym I think this may be it.  Kenny also made the bestr tank tops.  The spagetti string, low cut ones.  KW Enterprises.  They were great.

I'd see Kenny every now and then at the club I was a bouncer at and at the movies.  I was always with a different girl and he would come up to whomever I was with and tell them I was a slut and be careful.  He was bad for my love life.  And I talk to him on the phone every now and then when I order some shirts.  He runs Extreme Activewear who makes Gold's Gym shirts.

That Ken Waller story was great !! Any more about Waller? Onlyme any pics of you back in your prime Days ?

SHRREDDitUP

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »
Onlyme' in this pic you look like one CRAZY SOB... ;D

619Rules

« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2005, 12:21:44 PM »
I actually have an 8x10 of this pic and I had to pull it out to see it

4-Ken Waller
5-?
6-Andreas Cahling
7-?
8-Lisa Lyon
9-Louie Ferrigno
10-?
11-Mike Mentzer
12-Ray Mentzer
13-Bob Jodkiewicz
14-Bill Grant
15-?
16-Claudia Wilbourn-1980 Ms. California
17-?
18-Tom Platz
19-?
20-Chris Dickerson
21-Dave Mastorakis
22-Ron Tueful
23-Mike Torchia
24-?
27-David Paul- Barbarian Brother
28-Peter Paul- Barbarian Brother
29-?
30-Manuel Perry
31-Bill Reynolds
32-?
33-Kent Kuehn
34-Jon Loyd
35-?
42-Ed Connnors-Gold's Gym co-owner
43-?
44-Pete Grymkowski-Gold's Gym co-owner
45-Tim Kimber-Gold's Gym co-owner

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2005, 12:59:07 PM »
A couple of you guys might be interested to know that last month on ironage.us,we had a web chat with Eddie,Zabo,Manny Perry,Bill Smith (Rich man,Poor man) and Rick Wayne.If you look in the forums section under Special Guests,its the first post there.Here`s a couple of pics from that day.
Bill Smith,Jim Morris,Manny Perry,Chuck Fautz,Zabo.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2005, 02:14:19 PM »
Wow I love this thread.  All these pics are awesome.  I don't have any pics of me back then.  I never took any and I don't really like my pic taken.  Most of the pics I have of me are taken by others and then mailed to me or sent to me.  I did have some of me back when I was playing ball and a couple others in a portfolio when I girst started acting.  I gave it to Jean Claude and I never got it back.  I lost another portfolio when I was storing some off my things in a storage unit with Tony Halme.  He got in a fight with his girlfriend then (she ran Crazywear and was from Finland) and she or he threw everything away that was in the unit.  I remember that because I had so many pics and other stuff in there.  Now pics I get I scan and have them on my computer and a CD so I won't lose them.

You know like when you have something you don't think about it much.  Like living in LA I still didn't see everything there was to see.  When I was in Florida all those times I never went to DisneyWorld.  I always thought I'll do it tommorrow and then I ended up never going.  It is like that with me and pics.  So many things I have done and seen or whatever but I never think about taking a picture.  All I can do is rely on my memory.  Which at times is failing but comes back to me in the middle of the night.

You guys with all the pics you are the BEST.  I love seeing those.  I can't belive Zabo is still alive, he must be 100.  I thought he was old in 79'.  Manny looks allot different.  I would never recognize if it wasn't for when I se him in a movie occasionally.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2005, 02:55:12 PM »
You know I was sitting here thinking.  The others on here (Wes, Kevin, 619, Max, Crown, Kenny and Ric Drasin, others) are real pieces of Bodybuilding (history even).  I never competed or lived the lifestyle (except for a little over a year when Tony Pearson had me on that frickikng diet) I just went to the gym and wanted to be big, strong and look good.   I was fortunate to be able to talk, meet and become friends with allot of sport superstars including all of bodybuilders.  I know I was given the chance because of my athletic achievements but I don't a 1/1000 of the stories these guys have.  So I'm glad you like the little ones I do have cause it's great recalling them in my mind.

Okay, Gene Mozee.  Most people won't knwo who he is but the old timers will.  When I knew Gene he was helping at a club I was going to.  He used to tell some of the most outrageous stories of his past that were incredible.  Now you have to imagine what he looked like (back then).  He was probably in his late 40's, around 165, 5'7" or so, tan, not many teeth, bleach blond hair, and always wore long sleeve shirt or coat.  One of his stories involved a barbell with 405 lbs. on it laying on the ground.  Gene he was the only person he knew who could crawl under the bar then press the weight up off his chest.  This was a feat I never tried cause I could'nt see my head even fittng under the bar.  He had a million bodybuilding stories.  He was great friends with Arnold and others.  He told us he had the first set of 19" (could have been 20") arms and weighed under 200 lbs.

One day Gene asked me if I wanted to go the Mr. California contest with him.  I said yea of course.  Gene didn't drive cause I think he lost his license from to many DUI's.  SO we leave the gym and go to the show.  If I remember right it was downtown LA somewhere.  The whole way down Gene is telling me to just hang with him and we can get in.  He didn't have any tickets.  We get there and was walking up the street and everyone who is anyone in bodybuilding was there.  I saw everyone I seen in magazines.  I swear to god everyone there knew Gene and allot of them went out of their way to come say hi to him.  I couldn't believe it. He really was someone important.  Now to tell you the truth I can't even remember if we went to the show.  I don't think so cause I think I would remember something about it.  But I think Gene just wanted a ride there so he can see everyone.  Anyway, I did take him home.  He lived above a garage in a little place.  When I went inside, this place was covered with pictures on the floor, walls, on tables and chairs.  He probably had every bodybuilding magazine ever printed in this place.  It wa slike a bodybuildinng library.  He always told us about things he had done that sounded so outrageous but here was all the evidence he was telling us the truth.  He really has been around.  And I saw the pictures of him under the barbell pressing it up.  He had a great body back when he was younger.  Does anyone have any pics of Gene back in the day.  He also told me he was the first person to interview Arnold.  He wrote for Weider but he told me Weider didn't pay him several articles so he quit writing for him.  But I see he is back writing for M&F and others.  I'm glad he is doing good.  Pete G told me he saw him at Artie Zeller's funeral.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2005, 03:19:07 PM »
onlyme,thanks for the props bud!!

Gene Mozee is a moderator on Iron Man magazines forum.........I`ll get a link for you later.

He has posted some great photos from Calif. in the 60`s.

He posts there a lot and so does Jerry Brainum.

Here`s the link:

http://www.graphicmuscle.com/forum/default.aspx

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2005, 04:20:22 PM »

I filled in 3, 7, 15, 17, 19, 24, 25, 26, 36, 41  You’ll all enjoy some of my comments.

1-?
2-?
3-Chick who was doing Waller
4-Ken Waller
5-?
6-Andreas Cahling
7-Rita Brown (who was married to Don Ross when he passed
8-Lisa Lyon
9-Louie Ferrigno
10-?
11-Mike Mentzer
12-Ray Mentzer
13-Bob Jodkiewicz
14-Bill Grant
15-Eric Sternlict (sp) former author for Ironman, Nutrition PHD from UCLA, Tom Platz’s training partner at the time of this photo, (was also shtooping Tom’s finace’) who can tell us (I do know the answer) what contest nutrition concept Eric was famous for coming up with.
16- Claudia Wilbourn-1980 Ms. California
17-Tom Plat’s Fiance’
18-Tom Platz
19-Stacey Bently
20-Chris Dickerson
21-Dave Mastorakis
22-Ron Tueful
23-Mike Torchia
24-This guy had crooked teeth, Bad breath and was from New Jersey
25-Dave (worked the desk for about five years, smoking hot polanesian gf, became a chiropractor
26-Mike Clancy
27-?
28-?
29-?
30-Manuel Perry
31-Bill Reynolds
32- Denny Malloy (Trained with the Mentzers)
33-Kent Kuehn
34- Jon Loyd
35-?
36-Bob Reis
37-?
38-?
39-?
40-?
41-Remember the story I told about Pete G, a chick and a German Shepard in the park? Well that is her.
42- Ed Connnors-Gold's Gym co-owner
43-?
44-Pete Grymkowski-Gold's Gym co-owner
45-Tim Kimber-Gold's Gym co-owner
and keep moving!

619Rules

« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2005, 04:52:33 PM »
Max-I am glad you pegged Bob Ries in the #36 spot.

When we get all the names down I am printing this out and putting it with this 8x10 pic I own.

You know Bob Reis was living in San Diego in the mid 80's, and he was HUGE, and in contest shape year round-and back then only Gaspari and Haney were in contest shape year round. He had taken 2nd to Lance Dreher in Nationals I think-or the USA-cant recall-but he never really recovered from that. When I saw him in San Diego around 1987 he said he had won Mr World and was private training an executive and his family in Rancho Sante Fe (big bucks). He was married and always brought his wife to Mission Beach (where I lived at the time). Cool guy, and probably the biggest guy in San Diego at that time.

Dave Zachery was living in San Diego then too-was a small owner of Gold's Gym Pacific Beach(Dave originally worked at Venice Gold's and was buddies with Ed C.)-and your right he is still working for Icarian-which was just bought out by pre-core fitness.

And for those of you who know Eddie Guilliani from World Gym where he was the manager back in the early 80's-your not going to believe this one- I just called World Gym in Marina Del Rey at noon today to see if they had any warm up jackets,  and the guy said he might get some but to call back tomorrow and talk to Eddie-I said "you dont mean Eddie Guilliani do you" he said"yep, thats Eddie"....I cannot believe Eddie still runs that place-he was running the place back in 1982!!!! I am driving out there next week and going to tell Eddie about when I met him and buy a warm up jacket, and get a pic with him before he quits....

I see the pic posted of Bill Smith the actor/BBer. He fought Clint Eastwood in the movie "AnyWhich Way You Can", was in a Joe Nameth biker movie called "CC Rider", and has been in tons more (Conan), he used to live in Marina Del Rey and Dave Zachery new him. Guy has pics somewhere from when he was younger-dont know if he ever went into shows-but he was a BBer......cool to see him today........

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2005, 07:47:47 PM »
Ask Only Me to show you his high school picture. You wouldn't believe it if you saw him today but he was one hell of a cute kid. It's a great shot so I think he'll show that one. He kind of reminded me of Beaver Cleaver.

Bill Smith was working at Universal in the 60's and was probably the best built actor at that time. He made an unreal movie before doing that TV movie playing the part of a killer but I forget the name of it and I can't find it on IMDB.

Wes, 619, help me out here and get Only Me to post his HS picture and tell us all the story of his adventures at Alan Ichiniose's wedding reception and even better - the night he fought Cassius Clay, AND don't forget the elevator story when you all got stuck.

CLASS - BE PREPARED TO LAFF IF HE TELLS IT RIGHT!

That one always has me rolling on the floor.

Thanks for those great photos.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2005, 07:53:46 PM »
I`d love to hear those stories and see the pic too.

This thread is great by the way........I hope it continues.

Thanks for sharing the memories guys!!  :)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2005, 09:58:26 PM »
Okay, first off I very rarely drink.  Since 1984 I have been drunk maybe 3 times to this day.  And the only other times I'd get drunk was in Palm Springs where I was the unoffical Margarita maker and the town gave me the nickname of Tarzan.  i never wore a shirt or shoes.  Infact many of the restaurants on Palm Canyon had shirts that fit me in their closets or wherever so I had something to wear when I came in to eat.  Well the worst time being drunk was at the wedding of Alan Inchinose (Mr. USA and Judy ?) now officially called the most boring wedding and reception in history.  Everything was in japanese.

ANyway.  I am sitting with Kevin, my friend Sal and Pete G.  Pete says this is boring lets drink.  Well it had an open bar.  A quick sidenote:  I had a very successful company called Purely Hawaiian.  I had a party to celebrate it's creation.  Close to 600 people attended and it was at the Tahitian Lanai on the beach.  It was catered and everything.  Well the manager comes up to ma and asks me if I wanted an "open bar".  I said of course everyone will want to drink.  In fact the picture below is of me and Gary Proper (the creator of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) at the party.  Well a long story short, at the end of the night the manager comes up to me and want $8,300 and something.  I said what I already paid for the food and stuff.  He said it was for the drinks.  I said what why am I paying.  He said because you said you wanted an open bar.  Well f**k me I didn't know what "open bar" meant.  I thought he wanted the bar to stay open to sell drinks.  Well f**k I had no money on me so I talked my asshole attorney to put it on his American Express card.  Man that was a huge and expensive lesson.

Now back to Wedding Nightmare.  Well the few times I have been drunk I always had the same philosophy, why take so long.  If I'm going to get drunk I want to do it now not in an hour or so.  So Pete calls over the waitress and everyone orders then I order 2 shots Bacardi 151 and a Lite beer.  The girl delivers mine first and by the time she had finsihed seving the others I had already finished all mine.  If you know Pete you know how he gets excited.  He couldn't believe it.  So he told the girl to bring me the same.  A long story short again.  In between the 13 shots of Bacardi 151 and a 6 pack of lite beer I was feeling good enough to dunk the free cream puffs in the bacardi and light them on fire then eat them.  I must have had a dozen or so of those little things.  Anyway, I am now drunker than I have ever been.  Pete now wants to take me out.  SO we all get up and leave and of course I give my regards to the bride and groom.  Anyway I get into Petes Rolls and we go to Black Orchid which is a fancy club Tom Selleck owned.  My other friends took my Bronco.  Well the line was really long but since they all knew us we went to the front of the line.  There was agirl in line that knew me and wanted to get in so she started to hang all over me so I would bring her in.  She was dressed (I remember this for some reason) in a skin-tight red leather jump suit.  It was unzipped all the way doen to her belly button and half her boobs were hanging out.  Anyway, She was hanging on to me (or keeping me up) when all of a sudden I throw up with so much velocity and volume it was unreal.  It went all over the place but at least a gallon of it went directly into her face and down her top.  She was soaked in it.  The next thing I know I am sitting in the club in a booth with Pete, Kevin, Sal and I think my buddy Wayne G.  The girl comes out of the restroom to say she was sorry (for some reason) and left.  I saw her many times after that and she says nothing about it.  Anyway we closed the placed just hanging out.  Everyone makes sure I'm okay and they give me my keys.  I said I was alright.  It took me 3 hours to get home when I lived only 20 minutes away.  I fell asleep in my shower and woke up very sick.  It was the worst I ever felt.  Anyway that was my experience at Mr. USA wedding.

The other pic is Alan Inchinose and me.  Recognize that jacket.  Me and Tyson and Don King all got one at the same time.  The only thing is mine was custom made by Tony Alamo and it was a size 4X.   It had 3500+ Austrian Crystals and weighed close to 12 pounds.  Cost $4,000+  I didn;t have to pay a dime.  I loved it.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2005, 02:32:20 AM »
A couple of pics of Bill Smith from his younger days.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2005, 02:38:32 AM »
With Vince Gironda,any one have any stories about Vince to tell.
Over here in the UK on saturday night was a programme called Arnies Millions,where they traced his career and add up what money he made from bodybuilding,films real estate etc,and Gene Mozee was interviewd on this programme.I`ll copy the video onto DVD,then i can post some screencaps of what Gene looks like now.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2005, 04:35:15 AM »
Great stories onlyme.....you lived a hell of a life bro!!

Would you like some puke with your boobs miss!!  ;D

Kevin

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2005, 09:15:25 AM »
Wes, he has many better stories than that one.  Only Me used to hang around with Mohammed Ali and the Karate Guy with the Cowboy Hat whose name I always forget. And if you ever go to Vegas with him, you are in for a load of fun. Especially at the Craps tables where everyone seems to know  him well. If I am there as his "bodyguard", I don't play but I am treated like royalty .. food and drinik and whatever cause they take care of Only Me and his friends real well. Another thing about going to the casinos with Only Me ........ the car is always parked right outside the front door precisely when you want it, cooled down ready for us to leave.

I dont know how they do that!

Yes, Shep,  I knew Vince! He was quite a guy. He totally beleived that no bodybuilders should ever squat.

It enlarged the hips, he said. Or domething like that.

Vince had a gym on Ventura Blvd pretty close to Universal Studios. I looked for its location yesterday (on the Ventura  curve), but had a hard time identifying the exact location.

I also stopped by Jerry's for old times sake. If you ever were a bodybuilder in Southern California, you know Jerry's and if you go back long enough, you know Zucky's too! They are/were good places to eat but Jerry's was redecorated and it just ain't the same no more.

I can't recall a time when I ate a pastrami sandwich at Zucky's when Arnold wasn't there holding court. They made great sandwiches and the best Jewish Chicken Soup. If you had a cold, it was gone an hour later after a bowl of that soup.   How did they do that?

I sat with Vnce at a contest many years ago and one of his members was in it. It was definitely one of his guys cause he didn't have a decent pair of legs. The rest was good but the legs were lacking.

And Vince kept poking me in the ribs saying, "He's got it! He's got it!"

Well, he did "got" second place and that really upset Vince a lot.

Larry Scott used to train at VInce's Gym. I only watched Larry do arms there once but I understand he trained elsewhere on leg days.

Other than that, Vince was at least 20 years ahead of his time and he had a lot of advanced thinking on protein assimulation - when to take it and what to take it with, etc.

Sorry, but I presently can't remember too much else to say about Vince but I'm sure that others on this board will have much more to offer.

New subject ...... Who remembers Rheo H. Blair ? Dale Adrian? Bill West? George Frenn? Judy Miller? Solo El Fenzy? Harry Pearl? Wayne Bouvier? Gus? John Corvello? Bill McArdle? Odd Lifts? Carl Norbert? Gypsy Boots? Doug Strohl? Lisa Lyons? Ed Holvochik? Ked Schoming?

Still waiting for Only Me to tell us all the story about his "fight" with Cassius Clay and the elevator episode and Clay's huge bodyguard.

I plan to drive around and shoot some pictures of these old spots and post them here to show you how they look today. Does anyone have the original address of The Dungeon in Santa Monica?

Been a kick in the ass recalling this stuff and hearing all your stories and comments.  If you have a old time question, go ahead and toss it out. One of us should be able to provide an answer.

I'll be as honest as I can without causeing anyone too much trouble. And believe me, there was a lot of TROUBLE going on back then!

THANKS!!

SilentMethod

• Getbig III
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2005, 09:35:54 AM »
Great stuff gentelman.
U dont work, U dont eat
U dont grind, U dont Shine