Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 549484 times)

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #425 on: May 15, 2005, 11:02:47 AM »
Damn great stories & pictures.

It's been a few years....I need to visit Venice again

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #426 on: May 15, 2005, 11:07:55 AM »
Thanks, Knny!

Crown, I think that the armless gent is now in Las Vegas on the Strip. RIght in front of Harrah's or a bit further south if I recall correctly. I understand that he is doing well and someone picks him up late at night in a limo. Or could that possibly be another guy?

I forgot to include one important picture. The current status of World Gym. Now a gymnast center. The building is still owned by Arnold I think.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #427 on: May 15, 2005, 11:45:31 AM »
Here's the turban guy, Crown. I understand he has a colorful background but I forgot that story. Can anyone fill us in?

And how about the bodybuilding significance of the hotel I posted too???!!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #428 on: May 15, 2005, 11:52:50 AM »
OK, here is a contest........... What Venice gym used to be located in the vicinity of this clown?

619Rules

« Reply #429 on: May 15, 2005, 01:50:39 PM »
More great pictures.

The Marina Pacific Hotel. Catered to the BBing guys that would come in from out of state to train for a few days to a few months.

Joe Bucci used to have ads in all the muscle magazines promoting this hotel. I ran into Joe at Gold's Venice in the mid 80's, and he was a pretty cool guy-big guns (but nothing else). I do not think it is the Marina Pacific anymore though. I think it is now a Best Western Inn, or used to be. But these medium sized hotels change ownership, and names, very often these days.

The Bridget Fonda movie that was filmed in Venice Beach is "Point Of No Return", a remake of the European film (scene by scene copy really) of "La Femme Nikita".

The fact is, Venice Beach has had so many films, commercials and Music Videos shot there it is impossible to keep track of them all. Y & T did a music video of their hit song "Summertime Girls" at Venice Beach. "White Men Can't Jump" -all Venice beach locations. The classic summer movie with Linda Blair "Roller Boogie" was all shot at Venice Beach (man does Linda have a smoking body in that show-meowwww!!).

The Venice Beach boardwalk is a bit much for me, I can only take so much of the goofy people there ;D, but the ones I remember are;

1. Skateboard Granny
2. Chain saw juggler
3. The black guy with the flat top hair cut that had all these wild dance moves (name=Flat top?)

WHo can add to this list?

BTW-the Venice Beach "PIT" was completely redone in the early/mid 90's-who remembers when it was just a little tiny little square area with a couple of benches, a pull up bar and a plate loaded lat machine? All fenced in with cheap, waist high, cyclone fencing! The equipment was AWFUL, but back then all the BBers trained at Gold's or World and would only hit the PIT for fun.

I have to say thanks to Ironage for the info about Gold's #1 and Gold's #2, they have some serious info on that site. I knew Ric Drasin designed the Gold's Gym "Baldy" or "Guido" t shirt, but I did not know he was posting on Ironage and that is where I learned he was on TV shows now!

World Gym #2, 826 Main Street Venice. I too went by there when I was in Santa Monice/Venice, and that kiddie gymnastic studio is still there. Arnold does in fact still own that building. I would like to know the story on why World Gym was kicked out of there. If anyone has the inside scoop please post. World Gym moved into that place sometime around April of 1987. I have no idea when they went over to the Marina Del Rey location, maybe 5 years after (1992?). They were not there very long though. I was in there right after World Gym moved in 1987 and I saw Big Lou! The problem with that place is (the building was made for World Gym on a build to suit)  the parking problem, it was not cured. This location was 3-4 times as big as the original, but the place had about the same number of parking spots, again under the gym- 5-6 spaces.

If you had been to World Gym #2, Arnold had one of the 6 parking spaces reserved for HIM! The first spot next to the stairs had that big (bronze?) plaque laid out right in the middle of the space- RESERVED FOR ARNOLD.....LOL...I am going to have to see if that plaque is still there next time I am in the area (it was cemented into the space).

The old sign from this location was left there by Joe Gold when they moved over to MDR. The owner of the kiddie gymnast studio listed it on EBAY for 99 dollars. Took a long time to sell, but finally sold. That sign was huge-all the letters from the name were 3 feet high and about 2 feet wide. I was thinking of buying it, but then I was thinking where the hell am I going to put a sign that is 40 feet long ;D ;D Would have been cool to buy it though-but no room at my home.

619Rules

« Reply #430 on: May 15, 2005, 01:59:01 PM »
One last thing, the house picture you have, where you said the models would model the clothes for sale inside-I am pretty sure this is the house of Bidget Fonda's charachter in "Point of No Return".

The following photo used to be the business location where male and female models w. ould model the clothes that were sold inside the shop.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #431 on: May 15, 2005, 03:41:33 PM »
Yes, Crown, I do know all those people you have mentioned. Not personally though, but I think I have photos of most of them.

The shop that you mentioned was possiby either one of two shops that used great looking ladies to model their goods. I got a photo of each of those shops and will post them shortly. Turban guy on roller skates has been on Venice beachwalk for many years. I have photos of him someplace too and will post them if I can find them.

The following photo used to be the business location where male and female models w. ould model the clothes that were sold inside the shop. Later on it became a leather jacket shop and now it is nothing at all. There is another shop further north that could possibly be the shop you are referring too. They hire a good looken guy and a beautiful lady to model their wild clothes. The guy is a ripped up bodybuilder (most of the time) so he always models a shirt half unbuttoned. If I recall right, they do stand motionless. Can't find a photo of that shop though.

Great stories and pics guys.

619Rules I think that the Gold's moved to Hampton drive in 1981 not 1982 as you mentioned because when I trained with Samir and watched Platz train it was in 1981 and it was the Hampton location.

The house in that picture was also used in a 1980's (maybe early 90's) with Bridget Fonda were she played a hit woman.

Oh man the guitar playin turbin mummy guy. Man is he still around?

Anybody got pictures of Flattop (Rueban) performing on Venice beach?

Man this thread just took on new life! 
and keep moving!

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #432 on: May 15, 2005, 06:50:25 PM »
World's current location......

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #433 on: May 15, 2005, 11:02:41 PM »
Bix, strange that  you posted that new World Gym photo! I had just talked to Keith telling him that I regreted not having gone to the new location and shooting some photos. And then I come back on and there it is! Thanks!

So you have the exact location (address)? How many square feet does it have inside? Good membership? Any pros? Is it hurting Gold's?

Thanks, Bix!

Rules, I never had the honor of meeting Ric but I've heard a lot about him. Too bad there ain't no such thing as T-shirt residuals though.

I did not check out Arnuld's parking star but that's pretty typical in La La Land.

I never did meet Skateboard Granny but I did know Chain Saw Juggler (he got cut short) and Flat Top too! Flat Top did one hell of a great act at a few of the contests I attended. He's one of the best at what he does.

How about the little Italian guy who would follow you down the broadwalk and mimic your ever action? I saw and watched him for a couple of hours one afternoon and fell on the ground laffing a couple of times.

Did you ever join in at the sunset drumfest down by the seashore? A few years back there were thousands of people there doing things that people do in tune to the chanting rythem of a couple of hundred drumming drummers. The police officers were wise not to participate and I never saw a problem of any kind. Is that tribute to the setting sun still happening?

You are correct abut Joe Bucci and the Marina Pacific Hotel but do you know who opened the restaurant there? And it is now a Best Western and looking good.

I've been going to Venice Beach the late 50's  and have met and seen some damn impressive bodybuilders there even before the Pit was constructed. Most were visiting kids fom the mid west. Country boys who bailed hay and hearded cattle and got drunk on Friday nites and married on the following Saturday with a father in law toten a shotgun.

I recall two guys in particular .......... one was about 6 foot, 220, with the smallest waist I've ever seen. And a pair of shoulders that never ended. And damn impressive arms too. And as ripped at a competitive bodybuilder at prejudging.

I asked him how long he'd been training and he answered like this, "Don't train at all. Daddy's just too poor to buy a bailer so I gotta do all that work and all that loading by hand and I've been at it since I was a kid! I can't even break a sweat lifting these here weights!"

The other was an impressive lanky  kid who looked like he was turned inside out proving to the world that you can survive on zero percent bodyfat. This one told me he wanted to be a Superhero.

White Men Can't Jump - Here's a picture of one of the courts on which that movie was shot. I did fail to shoot a picture of the main court for some reason, so this one will have to do.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #434 on: May 15, 2005, 11:28:13 PM »
I've mentioned The German's earlier. This is the spot where it was located just a block or so north of the Marina Pacific Beach Hotel,

It was another bodybuilder :dining" hangout. I only had breakfasts there and can tell you for a fact that they served 12 egg omeletes with all the trimmings for about $3 and the biggest bowl of strawberrys I've ever seen for a buck.

The place was always full with hungry bodybuilders and surfers refueling up.

And I'll let someone else tell you about Schatzy's cause I never had a meal there

Larzker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #435 on: May 16, 2005, 06:10:23 AM »
Any guesses on which famous Southern California Gym this now the interior of? ???

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #436 on: May 16, 2005, 08:20:54 AM »
I've mentioned The German's earlier. This is the spot where it was located just a block or so north of the Marina Pacific Beach Hotel,

It was another bodybuilder :dining" hangout. I only had breakfasts there and can tell you for a fact that they served 12 egg omeletes with all the trimmings for about $3 and the biggest bowl of strawberrys I've ever seen for a buck.

The place was always full with hungry bodybuilders and surfers refueling up.

Ken Sprague and " The German's"...

"The only good thing about Zucky's was that it was only a few blocks from the 2nd Street location----unlike "the German's" in Venice, it was clean (didn't matter).  But there was never any doubt our preference, it was the German's---it was within walking distance of the original Gold's location and a block from the beach and the outdoor weight training "pit."

We could train in the morning (dips, chins, abs) about 9:30, head to the German's for breakfast (steak, eggs, coffee, and toast for$.99), go to the beach for sun, back to the German's for a late lunch, back to the gym for bodyparts.  A great life.

No need to change clothes, shower, or any other niceties.  Train-eat-sun-eat-train.  That was the pattern for the early 70's."

There was a simplicity to bodybuilding then.  Any wonder why so many embrace those times!

Raw-Iron.com

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #437 on: May 16, 2005, 09:10:16 AM »
Any guesses on which famous Southern California Gym this now the interior of? ???

Vinces Gym.
and keep moving!

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #438 on: May 16, 2005, 10:52:40 AM »
Thats the exact shop Kevin,cheers for that,and the roller skating guy.I also remember a guy who had a stereo sound system that was about 4 foot wide and 4 foot square and he had it on wheels and just dragged it around with him.Also a big fat guy who must have weighed 25 stone,and he was sat there holding a cardboard placard that said something like "I`m anorexic,please give me money for food".Is the flat top guy someone who used to stand there motionless,and then all of a sudden start doing robotics,cause i remember seeing a guy do that.I did have all these sights on videotape,but a couple of years ago i borrowed it out and never got it back.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #439 on: May 16, 2005, 11:22:56 AM »
Does anyone remember the guy that used to do the demo for the "special stach" pipe in Venice. It was like watching one of those old 1960's style "veg-o-matic" commercials except that it was live. The guy was good.
and keep moving!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #440 on: May 16, 2005, 11:47:13 AM »
Jeff,  Perfect way to describe it .............. Much simpler back then and I agree entirely.

But everything was much simpler way back then. Santa Monica was actually just a sleepy little beach city except on warm weekends when the inner city arrived for a short stay.

We discussed how much simpler things were back then during a walking tour through Santa Monica and down to Venice Beach last month. I'll try to write something about those differences in a future post.

Glad to see that someone else on here fine dined at the German's.

Was my $3 price estimate for the dozen egg omelete too high? What years was that place in business? Who ran it and why did they go out of business? I'm gonna guess that it was some sort of young religious group who started it up  but I'm not too sure about that either.

I agree with Max on Vince's Gym, but if we are correct, here is the big question ....... where did that door lead to?

Stach pipe??????  Vegomatic??? I must have been someplace else at that time.

Crown, the guy with the huge stereo (or someone with the same act) is still there and always draws a big crowd. I was gonna shoot a photo of his act but the crowd was too thick to get a good spot to shoot it, so I just passed him by. He's been there for years.

I think that the "fat guy" lost weight and now wears a sign saying. "I'm a drunk. Please help me stay that way." He does a good job collecting coins from kind hearted people.

The motionless/robotics guy could have been Flattop. He sometimes does that in his act.

Best act on the broadwalk last month was definitely the lady who sang some unreal songs in the vicinity of the Sidewalk Cafe (photo below). Sorry now that I did not take her photo too.

Will get back to ya , Crown

619Rules

« Reply #441 on: May 16, 2005, 12:29:04 PM »
Flat Top was the guy that did the robotics-that guy was AMAZING. I think he is the best street performer I have seen at Venice Beach-and probably the best anywhere.

Cool picture of Aronld's restaurant Schatzi on Main. Arnold actually owns that entire block (along with the 3 story building) that Schatzi is located on. This is where Arnold's office is too (Oak Indsutries, Inc.). Has the top floor as I recall. A guy who produced the USA when Mike Mattarazo won also had his office located there-I think his name was Mike or Dave Zelon, did anyone/remember know him? He put on a good show. Flex Wheeler was supposed to win that show but came in second to Mike. This was at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in 1991 I think-can't recall the exact year now-should check it on Muscle Memory if I get time.

Memories.......

Larzker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #442 on: May 16, 2005, 12:49:49 PM »
Vince's Gym is correct. Dave, were you ever inside when it was still a gym?

Stuntmovie, I should have asked about that door. They still have a skylight.

Here's a view out the front window:

1993...O.J. Simpson used to train there. I've wondered if that was his white Ford Bronco in back.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #443 on: May 16, 2005, 12:53:04 PM »
Rules, How come the Zelon name is familiar?

Flat Top actually did his act at the Arnold a while back but don't ask me the year. He still wears that wild "Zoot Suit"!

I thought I had a photo of Arnold's building but I don't. I only have a photo of the restaurant awning with the building in the background which I'll post here. I think he owns more properties on Main Street too.

I don't think I posted the Muscle Mag store yet either, so here goes. It's right down the street from Arnold's building.

Back in my days, Main Street was dead man's row and the Circle Bar (still there) was the main business establishment. Does anyone recall the first "trendy bar/restaurant" that opened there? Wasn't it a place called Merlin's? The guys from Gold's used to be the "front door persons" there. And does anyone recall an in-spot called the Jaguar??? That one does go back a while..... very early 60's.

619Rules

« Reply #444 on: May 16, 2005, 12:54:18 PM »
Great pic Larzker-

I was going to suggest to post the old pics of Vince's Gym with the new ones and you have it done already-good job.

Hey-did anyone catch that PERSONAL TRAINING $20 ad that is hanging on the front of the gym?

That white truck/bronco looks pretty new-what year was this pic taken?

And what was the final year of Vince's Gym before it closed-anyone?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #445 on: May 16, 2005, 01:12:41 PM »
Larzker, I trained at Vince's and I do believe that that door led to a series of steps going up to an office or small apartment on the second floor. I recall Vince going up there to answer a ringing phone. WOW! That was way back when.................

One thing I definitely remember .......... it was real dark inside Vince's Gym. I don't even think there were glass windows looking out on Ventura Blvd back then.

If there was glass, he definitely has some pretty thick curtains across those windows.

I do recall Bill Smith's photo/photos on the wall because was a friend of my best friend who passed away years ago. I thnk Bill started off as a stuntman at Universal and got a major break in that TV series that was so popular a while back. Bill also played the part of a muscular killer in some Hollywood movie which name I don't recall, but he was impressive in that flick.

I bet ya that was OJ's car.

I looked for the old Vince location last month but gave up after a couple of attempts. The place has changed a lot and there used to be a coffee shop almost directly across the street but it is no longer  there.         But Jerry's Deli is still doing well down the road even though they "Modernized" it way too much.

OK, took this photo on Venice Beach directly down from the Firehouse/Rose Cafe. Anyone want to guess who it is. You're damn good if you come up with the correct name.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #446 on: May 16, 2005, 01:16:48 PM »
That second photo of the bodybuilder with the sunglasses was taken right on Santa Monica Muscle Beach. I am sorry that I forget his name but he had just recently won his class in an NPC event promoted by John Lindsay south of LA.

He was on the beach working with a group doing a filming project for a class at UCLA if I got the story right.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #447 on: May 16, 2005, 01:24:37 PM »
Kevin again,,,,,

And before I take a break, here's a photo of an upcoming guy who visited Cal last year and enjoyed it a lot. He and his girlfriend showed up in LV to watch the USA. He was in great shape when he first showed up but someone took him to a LV buffet and he got addicted and blew up within a few days of "fine grazing".

Great kid to talk to and loads of potential. They both loved their So Cal visit and all that food in Las Vegas.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #448 on: May 16, 2005, 02:11:05 PM »
Dave Zelon was involved in promoting a lot of the BB shows in the early 80's. Then he developed some connections to Hollywood and went on to work for Columbia Pictures in the production administration department.

He was involved in the production of NOWHERE TO RUN with Jean Claude Van Damme, LAST ACTION HERO with Arnold, THE NET with Sandra Bullock, DESPERADO with Antonio Banderas, TO DIE FOR with Nicole Kidman, THE CRAFT with Neve Campbell, and CABLE GUY with Jim Carrey.

and keep moving!

619Rules

« Reply #449 on: May 16, 2005, 03:06:33 PM »
Dave Zelon was involved in promoting a lot of the BB shows in the early 80's. Then he developed some connections to Hollywood and went on to work for Columbia Pictures in the production administration department.

He was involved in the production of NOWHERE TO RUN with Jean Claude Van Damme, LAST ACTION HERO with Arnold, THE NET with Sandra Bullock, DESPERADO with Antonio Banderas, TO DIE FOR with Nicole Kidman, THE CRAFT with Neve Campbell, and CABLE GUY with Jim Carrey.

Thanks Max_Rep.....Dave Zelon. I knew someone would remember that guys name. The USA that year was a good show-and having it in Santa Monica was a great call-home to Gold's and World.

I always wondered what happened to the guy....that is cool he was able to hook up with some film connections. I mean, like who WOULDN'T want to be in the movie business.

Stephen Cannell and Stu Segal (spelling?)have a film production company here in San Diego-and it is always cool to see them shooting at the local beaches or where ever (lots of beach filming though). "Renegade" "Silk Stalkings" "Pensacola Wings of Gold" were all filmed in San Diego. Right now the UPN has "Veronica Mars" being shot down here.

Thanks for the update on Zelon.

Kevin...aka...Stuntmovie-

On the top pic, the guy with the abs, I am going to call Shawn Phillips of Muscle Media 2000 fame......am I right?