Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550268 times)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #450 on: May 16, 2005, 03:40:37 PM »

I agree with Max on Vince's Gym, but if we are correct, here is the big question ....... where did that door lead to?

That’s easy it lead to “Larry Scotts dressing room” which was simply the locker room but Vince had a sign made with that saying.

Vince's Gym is correct. Dave, were you ever inside when it was still a gym?

Yes I did train there a few times. Vince was just as his reputation said he was.
and keep moving!

Larzker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #451 on: May 16, 2005, 04:09:19 PM »
619Rules, the Bronco pic was taken around Nov. 1993. Below is another view. Off to the left there is very tiny sliver showing of a billboard for Stallone's Demolition Man which was out at that time. This was before the Bronco parked. I missed when O.J. parked. ;D

Stuntmovie, thanks for sharing your experiences. I've seen a few things Bill Smith was in. He's probably best known for Rich Man, Poor Man. I had a neighbor in Woodland Hills who probably worked with him at on time or another. Clu Gulager, he was a recognizable more so in the 70's and 80s although he's still works. He did alot of TV and movies but I remember him in McQ with John Wayne.

The hand sculpture below is a 'landmark' on Ventura Blvd. If you're heading South on Ventura Blvd. Vinces isn't that much further. Vince's is on the same side of the street as the hand, right side if you're heading South toward the city.

Dave, that's why I never went inside, because of his rep. ;D Actually, I was in street clothes at the time but now I regret not going inside(I was on vacation in LA several years before I moved to Calif. from Baltimore).  I could have at least bought a Tshirt.

MUCH bigger version of above:
   http://www.larrymccusker.com/vinces01big.jpg

...and the hand:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #452 on: May 16, 2005, 05:21:12 PM »
Bill Smith, he's in alot more movies than I thought:

Year   Title
1959   The Mating Game
1960   Atlantis, The Lost Continent
1961   Go Naked In the World
1964   Mail Order Bride
1968   Three Guns for Texas
1969   Run, Angel, Run
1969   The Man Hunter
1969   Backtrack!
1970   'Nam's Angels
1970   C.C. and Company
1970   Angels Die Hard
1970   Darker Than Amber
1971   Summertree
1971   Runaway, Runaway
1971   Chrome and Hot Leather
1972   The Thing with Two Heads
1972   Piranha, Piranha
1972   Hammer
1972   Grave of the Vampire
1973   A Taste of Hell
1973   Sweet Jesus Preacher Man
1973   The Last American Hero
1973   Invasion of the Bee Girls
1973   The Deadly Trackers
1974   Black Samson
1974   Another Day at the Races
1974   The Sex Symbol
1975   The Ultimate Warrior
1975   The Swinging Barmaids
1975   Dr. Minx
1975   Death Among Friends
1975   Boss
1976   Scorchy
1976   Hollywood Man
1976   Crackle of Death 
1977   Twilight's Last Gleaming
1978   Blood & Guts
1979   Seven 
1979   The Rebels
1979   Fast Company
1979   The Frisco Kid
1980   Any Which Way You Can
1981   Conan the Barbarian
1982   Tales of the Apple Dumpling Gang
1983   Rumble Fish
1983   The Outsiders
1984   The Jerk, Too
1984   Red Dawn
1985   Fever Pitch
1985   The Mean Season
1986   Eye of the Tiger
1987   Moon in Scorpio
1987   Hell On The Battleground
1987   Hell Comes to Frogtown
1987   Commando Squad
1988   Red Nights
1988   Platoon Leader
1988   Memorial Day Massacre
1988   Emperor of the Bronx
1988   Bulletproof
1988   B.O.R.N.
1988   Maniac Cop
1989   Spirit of the Eagle
1989   Slow Burn
1989   L.A. Vice
1989   Jungle Assault
1989   Evil Altar
1989   East L.A. Warriors
1989   Deadly Breed
1989   Gas Pump Girls
1989   Action U.S.A.
1990   Instant Karma
1990   Forgotten Heroes
1990   Chance
1990   Cartel
1991   Terror in Beverly Hills
1991   Cybernator
1991   The Roller Blade Seven
1991   Merchant of Evil
1991   The Last Riders
1991   Last of the Warriors
1991   Kiss and Be Killed
1991   The Final Sanction
1992   Shadow of the Dragon
1992   Maniac Warriors
1992   The Legend of the Roller Blade 7
1993   American Me
1993   The Return of the Roller Blade 7
1993   Hard Time Romance
1994   Manosaurus
1994   Maverick
1995   Taken Alive
1995   Raw Energy
1995   Judee Strange
1995   Big Sister 2000
1996   Uncle Sam
1996   Neon Signs
1997   The Shooter
1997   Rock 'n' Roll Cops
1997   Ground Zero
1997   Double Cross
1998   No Rest for the Wicked
1998   Dogs of Damnation
1998   Broken Vessels
1998   Blood of His Own
1999   Inspector Gadget
2000   With Intent to Arouse:Texas vs. Logan
2000   Never Look Back
2000   Dead Man's Bluff

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #453 on: May 16, 2005, 05:48:28 PM »
No, Rules, not Philips! Similarity there though.

Now I think you're right, Max, about that door in the back but wasn't there some stairs going to the second floor someplace. COuld I possibly be correct that that door led to a set of stairs going up?

And where was the gym office? In the far left hand cornor as you walked in???????

Been trying to get that layout in my mind for a while now for some crazy reason.

Clu Gallegher! WOW! That's a name out of the past. Clu lifted lots if I recall correctly and was in great shape. Did he train at Vinces? I think he was one of the regulars at Universal too.

If you see Clu, ask him if he recalls Jack Tyree who was killed making "The Sword and the Sorceror"? Jack was a major kind of guy at Universal back then.

Rules, some of my family are in the movie business and I was part of it earlier this year. On the Call Sheet I was the stunt coordinator. It was an elaborate commercial for a major company in Japan and one hell of a great experience.

I oversaw the performances of 32 athletes/bodybuilders who had to act like apes in business suits running through the jungle.

We built this elaborate "rig" to take about 60% of the bodywt off each "performer" so that they could run on all fours like a real ape does. We filmed it in a "arboretum" that looked like an ancient jungle. The exact spot was across the little lake and house that was often seen in Fantasy Island(?) "Da plane, da plane!"

Was that the name of it?

They dressed the set and lit it and I now know how Tarzan felt when he lived in a real jungle.

I have never worked with a more profession bunch of people. Two of my family members were the principal "stars" in this "production" and there must have been a crew of more than 100 people behind the camera to make everything go elaborately for the director, who was God on this set.

Each and everyone gave more than 100% to insure that what got on that film was beyond perfection.

We all did phenominal things during that shoot on the ground and in the air and high above the treetops and the Japanese representatives who were present watching it all, went "bannanas" at the end of the ape scenes and  ran around screaming and shaking everyone's hand.

They loved it. They really loved it! (Academy award handed here.)

While working on that set, I learned the real meaning of "PROFESSIONALISM" within a civilian environment from the bottom to the top and came to the conclusion that competitive bodybuilding endeavors (of which I am very familiar) could never reach this degree of professionalism because no one seems to work together.

Hence everything sees to fall apart.

I'm sure Chick noticed this while he was on that dodgeball set.

We were high on professionalism for a full week straight and when it was complete, and all was done m(in the can?) we hit the wall and came to a major low. We became a team that had to separate until the next time we would be called together.

Interesting to note that some of my family went to the Superman movie presently filming in Australia while a couple of others went to rehersals to do amazing things in the air this summmer at the Crystal Cathedral in So Cal. And others back to Cirque and school and mom and dad.

After all these years I reaffirmed that "Professional athletes" are amazing critters who make amazing things happen when they work together.

And that is the problem with this crazy "sport" of bodybuilding.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #454 on: May 16, 2005, 05:52:44 PM »
Thanks, Knny. I didn't know Bill was in so many movies! I think the one I recall most was Darker Than Amber but I'll have to look for that one to make sure. He was totally ripped up in that movie if it is the right one I am thinking of. I'll see if they have it at Blockbuster.

Chuck Colleras?? That name just spung out of nowhere! He was a great BB in his day. Must have worked at one of the movie studios or had somethng to do with the movies. Any help?

BTW, Onlyme has a computer now but is having problems getting on line. Should be here tonite if all goes well. He is a major movie fan and should know all these movie muscle guys we have been discussing but probably won't be able to go as far back as we have been doing.

Talking about muscle in the movies, here's a real tough one. Back in the early 60's they usually played double features. One Elvis movie we saw in Hollywood had a fsecond feature called Beauty and the Beach which was actually pretty good.

It was a story about this bodybuilder who took a bus from someplace and ended up in Santa Monica and met this girl and ..... I forget the rest but some of it was filmed at Muscle Beach. I searched for that movie a number of times but never did manage to find it. Anyone recall seeing it who can tell us who the "stars" were?

619Rules

« Reply #455 on: May 16, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »
Kevin/Stuntmovie-

I was wondering how you came up with the new handle....pretty cool. Pretty wild that the Dave Zelon guy ended up in movie production. There were a couple of guys at Gold's San Diego back in the mid/late 80's  that got jobs on the TV series "China Beach" about the Vietnam war. Had that Delaney babe in it. Always started off with the Diana Ross song.

Bill Smith has been in a ton of movies. Max_Rep knows David Zachery who worked at Gold's Gym Venice, San Francisco (opened it in 1980) and San Diego-and Dave knows Bill Smith from when Dave worked at a grocery store as a bagger when he was a teenager. Bill was living in Marina Del Rey then. Dave said Bill was a cool guy. Bill looked pretty good in the Clint Eastwood movie "Any Which Way You Can" which was a sequel to "Every Which Way But Loose". Bill also was a cast member of "Hawaii Five-O" the last couple of years it ran on TV.

If you ever stay up late and watch cable TV, there is this early 1970's Bill Smith movie about hot chicks that turn into bee's. Really wierd show...actually I just found the name on that list "Invasion of the Bee Girls"......also played Conan's dad in the original Conan movie. The Fred Williamson show from the 70's called "Hammer" is on cable right now and Bill plays a bad guy in that show.

If anyone wants to see a really strange and absolutely bizzare show, watch "Lord Love a Ducky" with Roddy McDowell........has a pretty buffed out Dave Draper in it, looking huge!

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #456 on: May 16, 2005, 09:02:31 PM »
Vinces Gym office was sort of the front desk. It wasn't really an office. And the stairway to go upstairs was in the front on the other side behind the smith press. I'm not sure what was upstairs.
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #457 on: May 17, 2005, 02:16:06 PM »
Man I can't belive the crap I have gone through with a computer and internet over the past month.  I finally got a computer and my DSl was to be hooked up on the 13th but they made a mistake and now not till the 23rd.  So I am actually using dialup at home till then.  What a nightmare.  It takes minutes for these pages to load.  but at least I am back up.

Alot going on here since I've been gone.  Kevin (stuntmovie) is going like gangbusters.  I have to catch up. 

A quik story about Flex when he came to Hawaii for my show.  I am not going to get to in-depth cause i like Flex.  In short Flex wanted to rent a Ferarri F40 for a day while he was in town for my show.  I got a discount so it only cost $660 for a 24 hour period.  It was  beautiful car as you might expect.  later that night out in front of the hotel.  Myself, Grymko, Quincy Taylor, Nasser, Shawn, and a few others were talking and seeing what everyone was going to do.  Flex pulls up in this beautiful car revving it like an Indy car driver getting ready to pullout of the pits.  Now this car is surprissingy pretty loud.  Well after a few minutes of talking everyone decided to do whatever.  Well Flex jumps back into the red racer and all of us are yelling at him to burn rubber.  Well, after about 5 seconds at 8,000 rpms and 2000 decibels Flex lets out the clutch at a millimeter at a time and winds the rocket down the driveway in a very dissappointing non-rubber-laying sprint.

Well after an interesting night on the town with Grymko we all retire for the night.  At about 9:00am the next morning I get a hysterical call from my friend who owns the car rental place that rents exotics.  He is screaming at me wanting to know where the Ferarri is.  I told him I have no idea.  He then tells me that he has been getting calls for the past couple hours and reports of a red Ferarri doing some interesting displays of speed in Waikiki.  After numerous expletives that I am embarrased to even put on GetBig, this guy is going crazy and wants his car back.  We hang up and I try to locate our muscled speed demon and finally shows up at the hotel.  In one piece I might add.  Well in short, the guy got his Ferarri back even if it was a little (well maybe a little more) worn.  Luckily new tires weren't that much, compared to the overall cost of the car.

The moral is "if you practice enough, you too can learn how to burn rubber in a $200,000, 200mph sports car."

I have to admit though Flex was great at the show and no one else would have rented that car, except Grymko if he didn't have his Rolls Royce there. And if he did rent it, I'm sure a new one would have to be bought after a night on the town with him behind the wheel.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #458 on: May 17, 2005, 03:23:58 PM »
Glad you back Keith!  ;D
and keep moving!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #459 on: May 17, 2005, 06:08:17 PM »
Good to see ya, Only! Now get to work!

________________________ ___________________

THAT'LL BE $20, KID!!!!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #460 on: May 17, 2005, 06:45:43 PM »
I remember Pete G. telling me a story about the gym (Gold's)almost having to close cause they couldn't make rent or something.  He was approched by Robert Blake (if I remember right) about shooting an episode of Barretta at the gym.  I thought Pete told me Blake owned the building.  Does anyone out there know about this one.  Well they paid Pete a fee to use (rent) the building (gym) but because of the weather they had to use it a few extra days.  Does anyone know about this one. 

I saw Joe Bozich's name on here.  If I remember right I had dinner with him and Pete at the LA Marriot.  Is Joe Pete's cousin.  I thought that is what he said.  If this is the same Joe Bozich.  he had something to do with the t-shirts at Gold's. 

I remeber way back when Kenny Waller had the best tank tops.  They where thin strap.  His company name was KW Enterprises.  Now he works at Extreme Sportwear a Gold's Gym vendor.   He was crazy.

Did anyone here train at Rennaisse Health Spa in Hawthorne.  Itrained there for awhile and Rod Koontz did too.

Has anyone here trained at the Sports Center or the Pacific Club in Hong Kong.  I have a couple good stories about training there. 

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #461 on: May 17, 2005, 06:46:25 PM »
Larzker, I trained at Vince's and I do believe that that door led to a series of steps going up to an office or small apartment on the second floor. I recall Vince going up there to answer a ringing phone. WOW! That was way back when.................

One thing I definitely remember .......... it was real dark inside Vince's Gym. I don't even think there were glass windows looking out on Ventura Blvd back then.

If there was glass, he definitely has some pretty thick curtains across those windows.

I do recall Bill Smith's photo/photos on the wall because was a friend of my best friend who passed away years ago. I thnk Bill started off as a stuntman at Universal and got a major break in that TV series that was so popular a while back. Bill also played the part of a muscular killer in some Hollywood movie which name I don't recall, but he was impressive in that flick.

I bet ya that was OJ's car.

I looked for the old Vince location last month but gave up after a couple of attempts. The place has changed a lot and there used to be a coffee shop almost directly across the street but it is no longer  there.         But Jerry's Deli is still doing well down the road even though they "Modernized" it way too much.

OK, took this photo on Venice Beach directly down from the Firehouse/Rose Cafe. Anyone want to guess who it is. You're damn good if you come up with the correct name.

What year was the upper picture taken ?

619Rules

« Reply #462 on: May 17, 2005, 08:40:59 PM »
I saw Joe Bozich's name on here.  If I remember right I had dinner with him and Pete at the LA Marriot.  Is Joe Pete's cousin.  I thought that is what he said.  If this is the same Joe Bozich.  he had something to do with the t-shirts at Gold's. 

I remeber way back when Kenny Waller had the best tank tops.  They where thin strap.  His company name was KW Enterprises.  Now he works at Extreme Sportwear a Gold's Gym vendor.   He was crazy.

Did anyone here train at Rennaisse Health Spa in Hawthorne.  Itrained there for awhile and Rod Koontz did too.

Has anyone here trained at the Sports Center or the Pacific Club in Hong Kong.  I have a couple good stories about training there. 

Onlyme! man, you needed to give the full length version of the Flex car story-the one you told me on the phone. The short version does not do it justice ;D

Joe Bozich was the head of the entire shirt/merchandising (or maybe just shirts) at Gold's Gym in the mid 80's/ Joe was a competive BBer and did some national shows. He was somehow related to Grymko-but I don't know how, if he was a cousin or nerhew or what have you. Again, my friend Dave Zachery used to work at Venice and pretty much knew everyone who was anyone-and he knew Bozich.

Does nayone remember when Gold's came out with their own shoe line? Cross tainers-those were the rage back in the 80's.

I do recall in 86 or 87 that Joe Weider was pissed off at Gold's Gym for some reason or another and refused to do anymore photo shoots at Gold's for Muscle & Fitness and Flex. Ed Connors got his panties all bunched up and threatened Joe with a Gold's Gym Magazine. I think in the 80's Gold's was really at it's apex of popularity-it still had a mystic to it and hardcore bodybuilding was still a major part of the gym- and that added to the mystic. For that reason I think a Gold's Gym Magazine would have done major damage to M & F and Flex. In the end Weider backed off, continued doing shoots at Gold's and that was the end of it. Too bad-I think a Gold's Gym Magazine would have been cool.

Onlyme-How is Hawaii going? ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #463 on: May 17, 2005, 10:04:23 PM »
Okay, I've been pretty lucky to train in allot of different gyms aroun the country and in Asia and Mexico.  Each gym was different and each had at least something memorable about it.

When I was in Hong Kong, I got to train at a few places.  The first place was definitely somewhere I would never be a member but I had to try it once especially since it was free.  It was called the Pacific Club and was a member only (limted to 1000) and was the most exclusive place I have ever trained at.  It is located in Kowloon on a pier.  It was the full length of the pier and 5 floors.  When it opened memberships cost as much as $1 million dollars and an annual fee.  So I got to go while I was there cause I knew somebody.  First off you go in and have to sign all kinds of papers.  They also give you a temporary laminated membership card with your picture and several other stuff that signified what kind of member you are.  Depending on what type of membership you had decided what part of the club you got to use.

Then they assign you a "personal assistant".  This person acts like a personal trainer if you need one among many other duties.  He changes the weights for you, gets you water (filtered in a glass and chilled if you want), brings you the phone if you get a call, and my favorite... wipes your sweat off your body and equipment.  If he wipes off the equipment he always went and got another towel.  I swear to god this place was ridiculous. 

Anyway, I was told I couldn't make much noise when I lifted.  i don't grunt or anything like that anyway.  I also remember I think you had to have a collared shirt (no t-shirts).  I didn't have a collared shirt and they didn;t have XXXL in stock.  But because I was a guest and VIP they waved that rule.  But I could tell they didn't like that cause they would talk about me all the time.  I didn't know what the hell they were saying but I knew.  Anyway, about 45 minutes later the manager came up to me and asked me to come with him.  I thought I was in trouble.  I tried not to sweat and make noise.  So I follow into his office and I see Jackie Chan sitting there.  He stands up and shakes my hand.  I knew who he was even back then.  I knew him from Cannonball Run.  I just remember he was kind of short but very thin.  Anyway, this place was not my favorite place to train.  To stuffy, no real lifters, not to serious, more of a fufu place.  But it was definitely the cleanest place ever.  If you ever go there see if my pic is still in the office.

I have to tell you about the Sports Center there later.

Larzker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #464 on: May 18, 2005, 02:24:40 AM »
Bix, the photos where Vince's is painted blue were taken in 1993. All the others of the current Vince building were last year.

Stuntmovie, I think Clu trained at Vinces but I'm not certain. My family lived across the street from the Gulagers when I was a kid. I was his children's age and was over at their house alot. I haven't seen them for decades but I knew someone here would know Clu. Artie Johnson from 'Laugh in' lived nearby as well.

Onlyme, those are interesting stories. Hong Kong sounds surreal.

Hopefully this animated gif will load up quickly for people with 56K modums. If not give it a few secs. It's a little jumpy because I reduced the frame count so it would be a smaller file. I was guessing at what color the signs and all were from B&W photos of the old Muscle Beach. If anyone saw the actual old MB when it was still around let me know how close it looks.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2005, 03:22:44 AM »
What year was this picture taken ?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2005, 04:52:38 AM »
Bix, the above photo was taken late April or early May of this year. (Just recently.)

I redid the color in Photoshop to highlighten it but that is all.

Larkzer, what is that and how did you do it? I was at Muscle Beach in the early 50's and returned often. Colors look good to me.

Larzker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2005, 08:50:23 AM »
Stuntmovie,  Below are some pics I got from Joe Roark's forum recently that are the only color photos I've ever seen of the original MB. I think they are screen caps from a video someone put the film footage on. The awning is different and some of the signs are as well. The stores had alot of little changes over the years.  The animation I did about 4 years ago on a 3D animation program that alot of video game companies and movie studios use. On the computer you create a model of whatever you want, put textures/colors on the models, and then you can render an animation of it from any angle....above, below, fly around or whatever. With today's 3D technology I could make it look 100% real as if I had actually filmed it in the 40s. It's possible also to create a real looking Reeves or Sergio and animate them.

Here's a quick Gold's gym one I did that is only about 1% done. It's probably all I'll do on it. Press the little 'arrow' in the lower left of the movie and it will play continuously. It's a big file and will take a long time to load if anyone doesn't have cable or DSL.

http://www.larrymccusker.com/goldsmovie2.html

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2005, 11:27:11 AM »
...you had to have a collared shirt (no t-shirts).  I didn't have a collared shirt and they didn;t have XXXL in stock.  But because I was a guest and VIP they waved that rule.  But I could tell they didn't like that cause they would talk about me all the time.  I didn't know what the hell they were saying but I knew.

Yes they were definately talking about your collar-less shit. Not your size or your 600 pound bench.

You kill me Keith!
and keep moving!

Tamas

• Getbig II
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2005, 12:32:07 PM »
Kevin,

Thanks for sharing all these photos and stories!

Good to see ya, Only! Now get to work!

________________________ ___________________

THAT'LL BE $20, KID!!!!

This Hulk photo was taken at the Universal studios theme park.  I was there last November.

Tamas.

Tamas

• Getbig II
« Reply #470 on: May 18, 2005, 12:53:24 PM »
Here's Vince's Gym THEN:

And in November of last year:

Tamas.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #471 on: May 18, 2005, 01:10:06 PM »
Tamas, You are right about the Hulk shot. It was taken at City Walk Universal Studios.
Here's the bigger picture. It is huge and located over the ticket booth at the multiplex theater there.

Larz, interesting how you did that. What program do you use? It would be interesting if you could produce something similar with Steve Reeves as the subject.

There were some shops directly to the east of Muscle Beach, but I honestly don't recall what they looked like outside of being reminded by the photos you posted. It would be interesting if someone could recall what each of them were.

At present that area is a mixture of vacant lots, parking lots, and apartments. The small beach homes were demolished in the 60's.

The only building I can recall was the Purser Hotel and that is probably only because I saw photos of that hotel in the scrapbook the "Originals" were thumbing through. (See above)

OK, here's the Hulk.............. BTW, a friend of mine (Marty Gentle) was in that series once. He played the part of a competing bodybuilder in a bodybuilding contest where the Hulk went beserk. He had a good closeup showing how much he "feared" the Hulk. Later on Marty was getting some sun at Santa Monica Beach and was asked to hold a girl on his shoulders for some Playboy photo shoots. That shot made Playboy and the girl was murdered a few months later. I forget the fine details. He also shot a fully clothed photo for Jim French that got more publicity than anyone expected. It turned up for sale in every art store in Santa Monica and Venice and was even featured in the background of a movie about a cop and his gay partner looking for a serial killer in Hollywood. (I forget that name too). I got the report that it was the hottest selling poster in California and all it was was a photo of Marty wearing Levi's with a tired look on his face. It sold big time, but he only got $300 for the shoot.

Very much like the pros today, I guess.

That poster was even featured on a web site someplace. Great shot even though it was taken over 20 years ago.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #472 on: May 18, 2005, 02:26:55 PM »
Another Hong Kong story.  I got to train at this complex over there which was huge.  it had a very large gym along with tennis courts, pool area, bowling alleys, huge soccer fields, baseball and driving range and more.  it was huge.  I can't remember the name so if anyone knows it?  So I go in with a guy i met there and he introduced me to several people including the boss.  I never knew what any of these people were saying the whole time I was in Hong kong.  I didn;t learn any words cause they talk so fast.  Well no matter what they were saying it always led to them touching me.  Usually squeezing my arms or poking at my chest.  Anyway, they knew enough english to tell me okay you can train.  Well I was there for about an hour or so.  I would say maybe 50-60 people were in the gym area training. They had allot of pictures of bodybuilders on the walls.  You could tell they were just pics torn out of magazines and either taped, stapled, or pinned on the wall.  They must have had over a hundred of these hanging around.  As large a facility they had mostly old Universal machines and old dumbells.  There was really nothing new or currently made equipment.  but, it got the job done.  I do remember they had 3 bench presses that were the old ones with the narrow bench and the racks were close together so if you put the bar on just a little crooked it would fall off.  They did have one really old Olympic bench.  Anyway, I didn't train like I wanted and wasn't even using any big weight, but all along I had at least 4 people tagging along with me and watching me.  There was one guy who looked like he might have competed.  he looked good but never smiled and in fact never said hi.  Anyway, after training I went to eat at the bowling alley.  Some of the guys came with me.  The only thing I ate mostly over there was anything with chicken.  I was afraid to eat anything else.  Now after eating i was walking and I saw the driving range.  i love golf.  It was upstairs.  It was a really long kind of deck that was over looking the soccer field.  The people would hit the balls onto the soccer field and they had these motorcycle looking things with cages that picked up the balls.  I was wondering if they did this during soccer games.  It was about 6pm.  Anyway, I saw that the area wasn't really long and in fact just over 300 meters accourding to the signs.  So I had to try it.  It was so fun.  Eevryone watched me hit the ball.  I know how to drive a ball.  In fact in a celebrity golf tournament I played in hawaii I took first in the long ball hole.  Well I hit a few over the fence and after that the guy in charge asked me to not use a wood and only an iron.  It was allot of fun.  but if you are ever in Hong Kong you have to go to this place.  It is quite a trip.

Max do you remember Ron Gibson and does anyone have any pics of him.  Remember his forearms and how vascular he was.  I wish someone had pics of Bob Sear.  He looked awesome.  He is still to this day the closet body to Arnold's I have ever seen. 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2005, 03:53:15 PM »
Good to see you back, Only. Keep your milkshakes on the kitchen sink from now on out.

I can keep this topic going with photos and stories for a couple of more months (at least) if I can find the 70's 35 mm scrapbook in one of the family attics.

Other than finding them, I also gotta find out how to post 35 mm slides to this site.

I consider myself to be an expert posting photos now. It took a while but I finally learned that I gotta reduce them to 300 pixels in width to get them to a small enough size where they can transfer swiftly and then save them in low quality cause when I send them the program in GetBig somehow posts them on site much larger.

Hard to explain, but I think you gotthe idea.

SO now I gotta learn how to post slides.

Thanks for all your comments on my photos and the input on my half assed remarks.

Larzker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2005, 04:05:13 PM »
Tamas, those 2 Vinces pics line up pretty well. I know you have tons more recent pics than I, plus all those angles of the old one. If you get a gallery going can you post a link here?

Kevin, the program I used is 3D Studio Max. I'll probably do tons of people in 3D in the near future. I'm an illustrator and I'm going to go from drawing people,etc.. to modeling everything in 3D.  Then I could animate everything in an illustration.