Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550407 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #625 on: June 15, 2005, 11:42:59 AM »
1st Pic ..... Center guy was in a major movie ......Name it!

2nd Pic ..... One is Roger and I forget the rest. ANy help?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2005, 11:47:56 AM »
Alan Ichinose on the right.

Patriotic pic ........... Teufel

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2005, 12:03:12 PM »
No, Serpico! Those shots with the Gold's Gym window in the background were shot in front of the Santa Monica Gold's. That location is presently a lawyer's office and the up to date photo is someplace on this site.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #628 on: June 15, 2005, 01:16:26 PM »
This shot was taken before Ernie Santiago started competing on the National level. The blond haired contender was a friend of Ernie's who always placed behind Ernie and eventually moved to Florida where he became a school teacher. (Rich Rippetoe). His younger brother, Greg, who hated to go to they gym with us made a good name for himself competing in the Florida area. If anyone sees Rich or Greg, pls have them contact me through this site.

I have not spoken to any of the Rippetoes in a long while but I do speak to Ernie a lot and he is back in training for a future contest.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #629 on: June 15, 2005, 01:20:36 PM »
Young Arnold

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #630 on: June 15, 2005, 01:32:06 PM »
This is the first of a series of pictures taken at an IFBB contest held in Tiajuana (International?)

It was the year that Bob Birdsong won, so maybe someone can research the year it occured.

This was a very interesting contest because (as I have mentioned in an earlier post) this was the contest where Sergio Oliva was sittting on a table in the rear of the contest site (a very small banquet room in one of the better Tiajuana hotels) and kept on yelling for Arnold to get on stage with him for a posedown.

Arnold and Franco were seated at the official's table with Joe Weider and others and did their best to ignor Sergio until it started to get out of hand and Joe Weider announced that Arnold was not going to pose down with Sergio (I forget the reason why) and Franco volunteered to pose down against Sergio in Arnold's place.

And the rest is history .........

Sorry for the quaity of these shots but the stage lighting was pretty wierd in the first place and these slide are pretty damn old ............

This first pic is one of Bill Grant and Bob Birdsong.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #631 on: June 15, 2005, 01:41:09 PM »
Everyone expected Birdsong to win this one, and sure enough he did.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #632 on: June 15, 2005, 01:46:46 PM »
This is a pic Stunt just sent me. I'm getting kicked out of the event I was putting on for the military at Pearl Harbor.  Luckily they let me back in.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #633 on: June 15, 2005, 01:48:52 PM »
I told you guys to be prepated to see pics never seen before.  Stunt has the best.

619Rules

« Reply #634 on: June 15, 2005, 02:00:06 PM »
This is a pic Stunt just sent me. I'm getting kicked out of the event I was putting on for the military at Pearl Harbor.  Luckily they let me back in.
Hey OnlyMe-I have that shirt you are wearing when getting kicked out-The World Record Breakers in Hawaii-except mine is yellow!

Hey-did you ever compete in any of those events-especially since Max_Rep said you have the 600+ bench press. ;D

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #635 on: June 15, 2005, 02:01:57 PM »
I gotta say this about that Arm wrestlng expo that evening.

Only invited everyone in the audiance to come up on stage and challange him, and if he lost he would give the victor $1,000 cash on the spot.

So within five seconds there was a line of about 20 of the hughest guys in the place flexing biceps and psyching out to take Only on  and pocket $1,000 in cold, hard cash.

And one by one they took position and with a serious arm wrestlers' face and growl they would do their best to pin his arm.

And Only would build up the suspense by letting some of the guys think that they were going to win, but then he'd just laugh and slam them on the table.

Most of the time, Only would just keep on talking on the mic to the audiance as his "opponent" was grunting and groaning and sweaten up a storm in an attempt to collect that $1,000.

No one ever beat Only, so no one got that $1,000 cash award.

Good thing too cause I had to buy Only a BIG Mac and a diet coke cause he didn't even have a wallet with anything in it.

One last thing and then I quit.

Only has never worn a pair of trou that reach below his knees. Even when he skis, he skis in shorts.

And if it is 32 degrees below zero and we have to shovel snow, Only is right beside us shoveling snow in shorts.

Oh yea! Ditto on the slippers too!

619Rules

« Reply #636 on: June 15, 2005, 02:07:15 PM »
Stuntmovie-

I have a question for you-do you ever recall Steve O'Brien doing guest posing in Hawaii in the early 80's. Steve was about 6'5 and a ripped 240-250 back then with some major guns. Steve had won the natural California (Chet Yorton show) in 81 and took 2nd at the Natural Mr. America later in the year, or early 82. Then he did some guest posing gigs in Hawaii when he was at his absolute peak condition-better than when he won his shows.

Let me know if you remember him.

Before I forget-can I get a copy of ALL of your pics on a cd rom?

Serpico-you came in late in this thread, there is are whole pages discussing Don Ross in the begining and he was from Detroit, and was a manager for Powerhouse Gym (when this was the only Powerhouse). Platz learned how to train very heavy from Ross.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #637 on: June 15, 2005, 02:16:10 PM »
OK, next series of photos are of Franco and Sergio when Franco accepted Sergio's challange on behalf of Arnold.

Sergio was mighty disappointed and let eveyone know it but did accept Franco's "acceptance".

I have to admit that Franco was darn impressive and had a lot of guts to get up there on that stage with Sergio without planning for it earlier.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #638 on: June 15, 2005, 02:24:22 PM »
THE COMING UP!  - THE MYTH!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #639 on: June 15, 2005, 02:31:01 PM »
I still don't wear long pants but i now wear tennis shoes.  I showed up at the Club Industry show in Chicago in October in shorts.  Add the wind and I was freezing walking around that place.  When me and Stunt went to the Arnold in 2003 I got off the place and waiting for the taxi it said 36 degrees.  When I went to China in Feb of 1994 we had a layover in Korea.  I get off the plane which they park on the runway, there is no jetway so we have to walk across the runway outside and it was snowing.  As I was walking towards the little bus to take us to the hotel, the driver got out and took my picture.  He talked english I think cause all he said to me was "YOU CRAZY!'

i didn't even own a pair of long pants for the longest time.  Never needed them.  I remember walking down Michigan Ave in Chicago with some guys and I swear to god I thought I was going to die.

619 that wasn't the World Record Breakers I was getting thrown out of it was my military armwrestling finals I put on at Block Arena at Pearl Harbor.  I emceed the WWB for Gus.  I never competed cause I didn't think I would do very good since Ionly trained for fun.

But I do remember being late for a emcee job I was doing for the Hawaii State held by Francis Silva (who benched 600 weighing under 200).  Well when I finally arrived they had just finsihed the bench.  There was 500 on the bar.  Francis made sure everyone knew I was late and finally arrived.  As I stepped on stage I said I was sorry but he said well you have to bench that then I'll forgive you.  I used to train with Francis.  So now everyone is waiting to see.  I said with no warm up and he said nope!  So I got under the bench with evryone looking and proceeded to lower the bar to my chest.  I then started kicking my feet as it laid on my chest.  A couple guys came over and then you hear Francis yell leave him.  And about 3 seconds laer I put it up.  He liked when I'd do that. 

Not sure if Max Rep ever saw me do this at Ray's gym but I think it is funny.  I did it all the time at Gold's in Vegas on Sahara.  Then everyone got used to it, and no one would run over to help.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2005, 02:47:27 PM »
Yea, Only! SOme of these old time Powerlifting stories are great and a lot are too unblievable to even remember or even to post on such a nice site as this.

ANYWAY ................. Back to Sergio .........

BUT FIRST A MESSAGE FROM OUR SPONSOR .............

We all did a hell of a lot helping the MDA and even the WWF joined up with us by inviting the MDA Poster Child to a major event and hosting the young kid back stage where he got go meet all them "monsters". That was quite a night and I never saw a kid in a wheelchair so happy. He passed away shortly after. Thanks to all you good folks who helped out during that very interesting time in this crazy "sport".

Here are a couple of pictures that are available, but there are many others who should be thanked just as well, only I ain't got pictures of them all !

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2005, 02:52:53 PM »
Thanks

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2005, 03:00:27 PM »
And to this guy with Cory who was always there when we needed help.

Who the hell is this guy anyway!!??

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2005, 03:47:30 PM »
Steve O'Brien? Name sounds familiar but I can't place the face. And I don't recall a him back then. Got a picture?

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2005, 04:01:27 PM »
Geeze Eddie Robinson's arms were unreal :o

And Stunt...ur killing me with this wait.... :D

619Rules

« Reply #645 on: June 15, 2005, 05:12:00 PM »
Steve O'Brien? Name sounds familiar but I can't place the face. And I don't recall a him back then. Got a picture?

There is a picture on a magazine cover at muscle memory, I will post it...

Found out the guys name that married Debie Dunning of Home Improvement fame-Steve Timmons, worked out at my gym and at 6'6 had some of the best natural delts around.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #646 on: June 15, 2005, 11:41:25 PM »
AND NOW FOR SERGIO ....... Sorry for the photo quality.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #647 on: June 15, 2005, 11:47:48 PM »
POSEDOWN .....

Even with Joe Weider sitting at the officials' table ......... Sergio won it hands down!

No question in anyone's mind unless you were a future Mrs. Columbo.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #648 on: June 15, 2005, 11:56:14 PM »
Champions both .........

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #649 on: June 16, 2005, 06:40:19 AM »
At one time back in them old years, Ken Sprague owned Gold's Gym and promoted the AAU Mr America Contest in Santa Monica.

It was probably the most extravagant bodybuilding show of all time and started off with a good sized parade including elephants and other animals on two legs.

I managed to find a few of the pics I took that day, so I'll post them here.

If I am not mistaken, I think that this was the same year that the contestants posed to real live music from a real live orchestra and Mae West passed out the trophy to the overall winner...... Dave Johns.  (Someone correct me if I am wrong here!)

OK, on to the parade for Mr America Day !!!