Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550390 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #650 on: June 16, 2005, 06:45:39 AM »
There were floats with bodybuilders on the top and horses with riders ........... but I forgot who rode the elephant.

And Ken Sprague even published a special newspaper for the event.

This was a FIRST CLASS operation.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #651 on: June 16, 2005, 06:48:30 AM »
It was a real great day and most of the competing bodybuilders participated.

I'll do my best to find the rest.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #652 on: June 16, 2005, 06:53:32 AM »
Back in them good old days, most of the guys did some heavy powerlifting workouts unless they trained at Vince's Gym.

So let's get some Powerlifters posted here ........ I'll do my best to find a couple.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #653 on: June 16, 2005, 06:57:59 AM »
Great lifter!

Great Person!!!

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #654 on: June 16, 2005, 07:01:01 AM »
I'm sorry Stunt but i don't recognize that guy ???

Any pics of Roger Estep...he trained in Cali and had what I would call the ideal physique, and he was a powerlifter!!! Did u ever go to any of those original world's strongest man competitions...I believe they were in Cali??? I know Gus who u posted pic of earlier competed one year

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2005, 07:18:19 AM »
There were floats with bodybuilders on the top and horses with riders ........... but I forgot who rode the elephant.

Unbelievble pics Stunt!!!

Rudy Hermasillo and Ken Waller were the elephant riders

From Ken Waller:

"We had a big parade one year and that fool (Ken Sprague) had me ridin' an elephant! I burnt the shit out of my legs on that elephant! That skin is like a porcupine. I used a ladder to get up there which was fine but then I decided to just jump off the side and it was like sliding down on a piece of sandpaper."

The full interview
http://ironage.us/articles/preston-waller.html

Raw-Iron.com

Jeff Preston

• Getbig II
« Reply #656 on: June 16, 2005, 07:26:06 AM »
AND NOW FOR SERGIO ....... Sorry for the photo quality.

"Sorry " for the photo quality Stunt?
Do you realize you just might be in possesion of the only pics of the Franco and Sergio posedown in existance!!!

At least I've never seen any before now.
The 1973 Mr. International was an event no doubt.
Bill Grant was there and recalled the event for us at http://www.Ironage.us on one of the threads
we had on that very show.

"I do remember some of the events at the Mr. International held in Tijuana, Mexico in 1973.  I very clearly remebeing Sergio calling Arnold out, but of course Arnold declined.  Knowing that the Mr. Olympia was coming in just a few weeks.  Arnold did tell Sergio that he wouldn't compete with him there but would be more than happy to except a challenge at the upcoming Mr. Olympia. I have to tell you though that was a very prestigious contest.  T.J. asked if I still had my trophy from that show, unfortunately I don't and it was a very classy trophy and heavy as well.  They had to ship it back to L.A. for me.  I don't know how much politics played in this, but as you all know that in 1974 Arnold held the Mr. International in L.A.at the Embassy Theater. That was the first show Arnold held.  It was a sellout with news coverage and news paper coverage as well. It was the most talked about event in L.A. that night.  People where waiting in line that went around the corner. What a show that night.  I wish all of you IronAgers could have checked this one out.  Does anyone have any photos from this show, it was held in 1974 August to be exact because it was one month before the Olympia." 

Raw-Iron.com

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #657 on: June 16, 2005, 08:50:54 AM »
Dave Dupre was on the elephant as well.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #658 on: June 16, 2005, 09:30:50 AM »
Jeff, Bossa,Crown, Thanks!

Back when those Parade photos were taken, I don't recall any bodybuilding tanning agents and I see an awful lot of awful white bods the day before a major contest.

I do recall useing baby oil mixed with a small amount of iodine to get somewhat of a decent tan.

My first recollection of a tanning agent was Dy-O-Derm which was originally used by embalmers to get corpses looking half way decent for open casket wakes.

Jeff E. was the first to bring that to my attention, but I don't think it was available at the time these shots were taken.

619Rules

« Reply #659 on: June 16, 2005, 12:50:56 PM »

I do recall useing baby oil mixed with a small amount of iodine to get somewhat of a decent tan.

My first recollection of a tanning agent was Dy-O-Derm which was originally used by embalmers to get corpses looking half way decent for open casket wakes.

Dy O Derm-thats is a product I have not heard of for a while. Do you remember the vitamin/food coloring that you could buy? You take it everyday and it was supposed to give you a tan, but ended up turning your skin a very strange orange color? That stuff is long gone too!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #660 on: June 16, 2005, 01:32:07 PM »
Stunt posted this pic and no one made any guesses.  Can anyone name all three guys

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #661 on: June 16, 2005, 01:34:16 PM »
Ya, Rules, I  do remember that stuff but I forgot its name.  Something like Militonin.

We also used to drink huge quantities of carrott juice to get a healthy glow but I had to quit when my eyeballs turned yellow. And then there was Niacin. ANd a mixture of baby oil and iodine.

And what was that stuff they sold in a little spray bottle that would turn your hair a lighter shade in the sun? "Sun-Up?? Sun-Down??? Sun-In???"

Everyone wanted to look like they had been surfing all day. Even the surfers who actually surfed all day wanted to look like that.

In the days of the  AAU oil was not permitted so we did the following to "cheat" a bit. The best "cheaters" even won back then.

Here was our "cheaters' secret".

About four hours before the prejudging, you would hop in a real hot shower to open the pores on your skin.

Then hope out of the shower and cover yourself with a thick coat of a mixture of baby oil and oil of wintergreen and let it soak in for a few minutes before hopping back into the shower to remove the noticeable excess.

Then hop out of the shower and pat down until your skin appears real dry.

Now the big problem is to avoid breaking a sweat until prejudging.

If you did this all just right, you'd be in that initial lineup looking like you've never seen an oil can. Just a dry bod like the rules called for.

But as soon as you started posing, that oil would come rushing out and make you look twice as ripped as the other dry guys to your right and left.

This little maneuver worked forever until oil was "legalized".

This next photo is a picture we shot of one of the USA contestants back in the days when Alan Ichinose won his class. Actually this guy was pretty damn good and he was years ahead in hair cut styles. The perfect "Sun In" haircut model.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #662 on: June 16, 2005, 01:43:44 PM »
Can anyone give an update on Rudy Hermasillo and Dave Dupree? And how about Pat Ruhl and Billy Grant?

Last time I saw Rudy was that weekend he took that elephant ride.

And the last time I saw Dave was at one hell of a great party at Caesars Palace after one of the Nationals many many years ago. That was the year I told everyone to follow me because "I know a shortcut!".

So we hopped over a wall and ended up in one of the Caesars Palace fountains.

I had squeekie shoes the rest of that evening but another good story to talk about as I grew years older.

619Rules

« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2005, 05:31:29 PM »
Stunt-

Bill Grant has hosted/MC'd the Muscle Beach contest the last 2 years, and I believe he is living back in New Jersey working as a private trainer. He has posted on Ironage regularly and this is a thread from the Muscle Beach contest 2 weeks ago in Venice Beach-

http://ironage.us/yabbse/index.php?board=2.0

That is all the info I have, Dave Dupree is most likely retired and still living in the LA area I would bet though.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #664 on: June 16, 2005, 06:03:12 PM »
Here's a photo of Dave from just a fews years ago, 2000 I'm thinking.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #665 on: June 16, 2005, 06:39:51 PM »
I remember Bill Grant working at LAX when I worked there on the ramp.  Back around 1975

619Rules

« Reply #666 on: June 16, 2005, 08:52:32 PM »
Bix-is that Dave Dupree?

Where was that pic taken, a Masters contest no doubt. He looks like he is doing OK-he must be 60 y/o right now-and no longer using "supplements" ;D

Onlyme-your buddies the Grymko brothers are starting a new gym chain!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #667 on: June 16, 2005, 10:08:58 PM »
Well Paul is and Rich.  He told me about it around 4 months ago.  Pete did call me yesterday.  We only talked for about 10 minutes then he had someone at the door.  He said he'll call me back.  I did find out his new wife is 4 months pregnant.  She is doing fine.  he has been down in the Yucatan for the past several months.  I'll try to get a story off him.

Interesting name Paul came up with.  I called him today but left a message.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #668 on: June 16, 2005, 10:28:38 PM »
What is the new name?

365 ____?____

Sounds like a play on the "24 Hour Fitness" title/

Only "365" is bigger than "24"!

I bet a lot of thought went in this new name and I think it's a great start!

I'll join if they give me a freebie.

Good luck,guys!

Bring back the days of yor when Men were Men and Women were really Women!

With some exceptions of course!

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #669 on: June 17, 2005, 10:09:00 AM »
I`m glad you guys talked about the Red Onion,cause that was the club where i met Shawn Ray in 1990,and got to train with him before the Olympia.Now hopefully you might be able to tell me about someone.As these limos were pulling up to the door,the longest stretch limo i have ever seen pulled up,and even the regulars were gob smacked at the size.Then about 12 stunning women got out,and were followed by a guy who i would describe as a big heavy set guy,with a beard,and a rolex watch on each wrist,and they walked straight past the queue to the frony door.Someone did mention that the limo used to belong to Kool and the Gang,but i don`t know if there is any truth in that.So,does anyone know who this guy is.

SILVERBACK

• Getbig II
« Reply #670 on: June 17, 2005, 10:14:46 AM »
Do you remember the vitamin/food coloring that you could buy? You take it everyday and it was supposed to give you a tan, but ended up turning your skin a very strange orange color? That stuff is long gone too!

Canthaxin ? Awful - turned even the palms of your hands orange... looked like you'd been wanking a carrot...  ;D

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #671 on: June 17, 2005, 07:48:32 PM »
YEA! I was YELLOW once - a lot.

Hey! Whatever happened to Ricky Tubbs?

And if ya have to ask, "Who the hell is Ricky Tubbs, you haven't really gotten out of Bodybuilding 101."

Ricky went to school someplace with Bob Paris and drove out to California with him to become bodybuilders on the West Coast.

But somehow  Ricky continued west and ended up in Hawaii, in a small town on a big island with an active volcano just a lava flow away.

And he trained at Herb Ishibashi's Gym and made amazing progress and eventually fell in love and married Herb's daughter. But still he trained as hard as anyone and made gains that impressed us all.

And he won the state bodybuilding championships and was destained for greater glory.

But then he disappeared from sight only to reappear one day many years later at Wold Gym in Waikiki.

He arrived in an ambulance because he was a ParaMedic. Someone passed out and needed his help.

But not badly enough to stop Ricky from recalling old and great stories about the great days and great times we had in the bodybuilding world.

But now he was taking care of other people's bodies in a much more serious manner.

Some he could save and some he could not! But he did his best just like he did in the days of competition when he never lost.

But eventually reality has to show its dreary head, and he accepted that as best he could.

Rick was one hell of a great man, but we soon lost contact with a great old friend.

Ricky Tubbs! Where the hell are ya?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #672 on: June 17, 2005, 08:13:08 PM »
Here's a couple of shots of Phil "minutes" before he disappeared from the Bodybuilding world.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #673 on: June 17, 2005, 08:18:41 PM »
Another great competitor back then.

One hell of great person. Now drives for a limo service in Las Vegas. If you need a limo for the USA or for the Oly, this is the man to ask for.

Ask Only and he should be able to tell you how to contact him

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #674 on: June 17, 2005, 08:50:10 PM »
Only, I'll let you offer comments on this photo. .. You still in contact?