Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550293 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #675 on: June 17, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »
Belive it or not the guy on the right has an amazing world class bicep peak.  Unreal.  He owned the second World Gym on Oahu.  It was closed down because someone lit it on fire.  It was the best gym in all Hawaii.  hardcore and great to lift at.  had DB's to 300.  ALL the big boys trained there as did most of the hot girls.  The guy on the left is a good friend and family man.  Very quiet but had a hell of a body in his day.

The middle guy is my old training partner at that gym.  This is an old pic.  He was a very cut 200 and was one of the strongest in the gym.  He benched 400+ for reps.  I'll dig out some pics of him in shape.

619Rules

« Reply #676 on: June 17, 2005, 10:24:05 PM »
Onlyme-

That guy in the middle had a 400 pound bench for reps? Wow, he looks very small to be hanging with such a big weigth-it looks like he is well below 200 Lbs..........

I`m glad you guys talked about the Red Onion,cause that was the club where i met Shawn Ray in 1990,and got to train with him before the Olympia.Now hopefully you might be able to tell me about someone.As these limos were pulling up to the door,the longest stretch limo i have ever seen pulled up,and even the regulars were gob smacked at the size.Then about 12 stunning women got out.....

Crownshep-where are you at? England, Canada?

The Red Onion was by FAR the most wild and crazy club to ever entertain the masses. They had about 6 or 7 of them, with LA and Huntington Beach being the hot ones. They were WILD. LA had a chandelier that they would lower to the dance floor and one time my buddie jumped up and grabbed hold and they started to raise it back up-with my buddie was hanging on for his life! Had those little shot babes running around in their bra's serving shots to everyone while you popped a woodie watching them pour it!. Man they were fun. They opened one in San Diego in about 88, but they started to go under and by 1990 they were all closed down. 

619Rules

« Reply #677 on: June 17, 2005, 10:30:13 PM »
What is the new name?

365 ____?____

Sounds like a play on the "24 Hour Fitness" title/

Only "365" is bigger than "24"!

I bet a lot of thought went in this new name and I think it's a great start!

Yeah Stunt-

What is with the numbers in the gym name today. A new chain that was just started 2 years ago by the son of the guy that started Family Fitness is called Fitness 19-and they are very well equipped gyms-great equipment.

Family Fitness mostly sold out to 24 Hour Fitness, and now this new Fitness 19 is buying local independant gyms and turnig them into Fitness 19's. They have bought a number of Gold's franchisees and just dropped the Gold's name and all the headaches that went with it. Not to mention the franchising fee which has gone up 10 fold since they first started.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #678 on: June 17, 2005, 10:37:20 PM »
619,  Well there looks to be about 3 or 4 years prior to him training hard.  His name is Simpson Bannister.  In the off season he probably weighed around 230.  He competed in the Lightheavy at my show.  Wait till you see the pics and you;ll see a huge difference

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #679 on: June 17, 2005, 10:38:14 PM »
Sorta off topic...but do powerhouse gyms still exist ???

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #680 on: June 17, 2005, 10:43:50 PM »
I mentioned on another post. I talked to Paul G. today for about an hour.  He has been working on this for a while.  It sounds like he has allot of interested parties.  He told me he has had over 200 inquiries so far.  And allot of them are multi-club owners. 

Golds has started screwing around with a system that worked.  Now its going to bite them in the ass.  Watch what happens after July.  If anyone is going to the convention (Golds) please tell us about it.  It appears it may be a little slow this year. 

619Rules

« Reply #681 on: June 17, 2005, 11:21:37 PM »
Sorta off topic...but do powerhouse gyms still exist ???

I am training at Powerhouse right now-they are doing OK. Not great, but they make 5 grand on every licensee-flat rate for everyone. I don't think Powerhouse will ever have the draw of a Gold's or World just because it is an east coast/mid west based gym chain. Powerhouse is HUGE in Michigan, where they started in Highland Park/Detroit area. Over 50 Powerhouse Gym's in Michigan.

You know what is funny-World Gym started here in So Cal, but there are only about 20 World Gyms in CA, has been that way forever-yet in Florida there are over 50 World Gym's-and 50 is a big number. I don't think Gold's has over 50 gyms in ANY state, and they are the biggest gym chain.

Only-Post a pic of your buddy weighing in at 230-he must have made some serious gains!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #682 on: June 18, 2005, 12:35:08 AM »
PowerHouse is opening a small 9,000 sq ft gym in Kihei Maui.  Should be open by the end of the year

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #683 on: June 18, 2005, 12:41:50 AM »
I`m from England, 619,and i think the Red Onion was in Orange County,i`m sure thats where shawn was living at the time.I trained at the Golds in Venice and then with Shawn at a Golds that was i think in Orange county,Bill Burney was training there and i was very impressed with his phsyique,and his character.I think he said he worked in Law Enforcement down on the beach.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #684 on: June 18, 2005, 01:17:49 AM »
I want to see some pics of bill burney.  I haven;t seen him since high school.  he was very polite, quiet and was an awesome athlete.  A great football player.  I think he became a cop or something.  Kind of a model looking guy.

619Rules

« Reply #685 on: June 18, 2005, 10:54:10 AM »
I`m from England, 619,and i think the Red Onion was in Orange County,i`m sure thats where shawn was living at the time.I trained at the Golds in Venice and then with Shawn at a Golds that was i think in Orange county,Bill Burney was training there and i was very impressed with his phsyique,and his character.I think he said he worked in Law Enforcement down on the beach.

Thats is what I thought Crownshep-you are an english lad.

You must have been at the Huntington Beach Red Onion, those were pretty fun-well at least for a while. I think everything gets old sooner or later.

Shawn trained at Gold's Fullerton I think. It is funny b/c Shawn looks real big on magazine covers, but in person he is a little guy.

Have you been to Dorian Yates gym? If so, how big is it and how was it training there?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #686 on: June 18, 2005, 04:20:43 PM »
Hey, Shep! How bout Flex? England's Flex, I mean! Is he going to make a big name in this sport or not? We met him at the USA and he appeared to be the guy to watch out for soon. I mean maybe in four or five years or more!

How do you guys feel about him over there across the pond? And who else among the amateurs is coming up?
----------------------------------------

Nother subject ..........

I just read some interesting comments on the Jr Nationals posting and one guy said that one of our members "appeared not to be dark enough and not enough oil".

To me, that is pretty basic and it's difficult to understand how anyone one can get to the point where he can compete on the National level and still not have a complete understanding of the basics.

It's basic to me that you cannot go on stage without a sheen of some kind..... In the old AAU days when oil was not allowed, we'd do our best to work up a sweat or cheat a bit as mentioned earlier.

It's also basic to me that you must have a dark "tan" on stage. And I do mean "dark" as those bright lights will lighten you up a lot so that has to be taken into consideration (especially if the event is being televised or filmed for future use).

And since "black" is the absence of light, it is best to wear dark, dark trunks. Black trunks will make your waist look smaller. You can argue this point but it is the truth. And if you want to argue, next time you are up on stage, wear white posing trunks. That'll convince ya.

And some fans say that their buds did not do too well during the prejudging and they hope he will look much better at night.

Uhh, uhh! Ain't gonna work! Those judges pick the weight class winners and all other placings during the prejudging phase and seldom make a change during the finals. (There are exceptions of course but this is rare!)

Most times the judges are there at the finals to decide the overall winner from the wt class winners. If you don't believe me, take a close look at the official table. The seats could be vacant or the judges who are there are more interested in something else, but still kind enough to keep their eyes up on the stage.

But when it comes to the final posedown of the wt class winners, those seats are full and the judges are working once again.

OK, last comment ...... and this one comes from a world reknown athlete who has won many IFBB titles  ..........

The most important part of any amateur contest is the INITIAL LINEUP.

And the most important part of that INITIAL LINEUP is the first 30 seconds when the judges take their initial overall look.

ANd the most important part of that INITIAL 30 SECOND OVERALL LOOK is your ABS!

Subconsciously, your abs are the first thing the judges see. He went into a long discussion about "looking at the abs first" which I won't broach here but - take my word for it.

And during that INITIAL LINEUP, you are placed by each judge from first to last, and from that point on you got to improve a bit to get your placing moved up a bit.

Sorry to be so basic, but apparently some good people just don't understand.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #687 on: June 18, 2005, 05:25:55 PM »
You guys are really gonna date yourselves if you can answer this one ..........

Who was "Pillow"?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #688 on: June 18, 2005, 05:31:31 PM »
You guys are really gonna date yourselves if you can answer this one ..........

Who was "Pillow"?

he was that kid in the movie that could move things and make people see how the deer was hurt when shot.  The Fly was in it too.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #689 on: June 18, 2005, 09:19:52 PM »
he was that kid in the movie that could move things and make people see how the deer was hurt when shot.  The Fly was in it too.

HAHA...Thats "powder"....isn't pillow that female bodybuilder...huge before they got huge? 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #690 on: June 18, 2005, 09:57:53 PM »
Opps my bad

619Rules

« Reply #691 on: June 18, 2005, 10:23:16 PM »
HAHA...Thats "powder"....isn't pillow that female bodybuilder...huge before they got huge? 

Pillow-have not heard that name in a while.

Bossa is right, she was one of the bigger female BBer's. Competed in the first 2 or 3 Ms. Olympia's and I think she took 2nd in one of them, I need to check muscle memory on that one.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #692 on: June 19, 2005, 09:21:15 AM »
Pillow, once overweight, got her nickname from wearing goose-down jackets to hide her size.

She never competed in the Olympia.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #693 on: June 19, 2005, 08:07:17 PM »
Thanks for the Pillow info, guys! That's a long ago story that I'll post someday, but for right now here are a couple of old shots that may be of some interest to some of ya.

The first picture was taken at a combined Power/Bodybuilding contest way back when....

And the second shot is of an old friend who I have not seen in guite a while and Only will probably have a few comments about him. He's a great guy and used to be the personal bodyguard for a famous singer when they went on the road .......... I forgot the singer's name though. Maybe Only will straighten this one out...

Tell them about racken those 300's, Only! He didn't even realize that they were heavy.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #694 on: June 19, 2005, 08:20:41 PM »
This shot was taken at the Caesars Palace pool the weekend that Tim Belnap won the National Championships.

That was a great weekend and some of us are still talking about it while laffing our asses off.

It all started at a party in one of the Penthouse Suites thrown by one of the National Sponsors. It was the only party so it was packed with everyone  standing asshole to bellybutton and mingling with one and all.

It was such a good party that the Hosts didn't want it to end and we all stayed probably longer than we should have .....  drinking everything in site and chowen down and having a grand old time talking story and raising hell.

I think that the Hotel Security even arrived to quiet us down and ended up joining the runkous when they saw that it was futile.

Eventually that party ended and the the real fun began ............. and that's a story for a later post.

Only, you were probably still shitting in your knickers then.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #695 on: June 19, 2005, 08:30:09 PM »
FIrst shot - This is Hannu's better half. A great great lady.

And the second shot is a group of people who I have no idea about. But it was taken at one of the contests and they look like models, so maybe they did some modeling gig during a break or something.

Only? You recognize anyone?  Good looking group, so I thought I'd post it.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #696 on: June 19, 2005, 09:58:09 PM »
Well that guy with the hat and shaking handswith that kid is Calvin.  Born in Missouri and grew up on a farm.  This guy had the most incredible pulling strength but couldn't push that much.

I mean he could do bent over rows with 365 like it was nothing.  Lat pulldowns with the whole stack even though he only weighed 270.  He had guys holding him down while doing them,

Well during the second opening of Worlds Gym after the fire.  The owner hire Calvin to clean the smoke off the remaining good equipment.  Well when he was done with the 300 lb dumbells, he rolled them over to the rack.  I was doing some cardio on the recumbent bike and was talking to him while he was working.  I watched him with the 300's as he rolled them to the rack.

I asked him "are you going to leave those there"  He said "Should I"  I said rack em if they can't lift then fuck em.  He grabbed one at a time and put it up on the rack like it weighed nothing.  i couldn't believe it.  He made it look so simple.  300 lb DB's weigh allot.

a few years before that he was one of the marines that challeged me.  I knew how strong he was so i had to be serious.  Well it ended up him tearing his pec the next day.  he said his hurt so bad that it cramped up and he dropped the weight on him.  And he used to bodyguard Dolly Parton I think.

P.S.  Ronnie Coleman came in one day and did DB rows with the 300's for 12.  Unreal!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #697 on: June 19, 2005, 10:01:52 PM »
Oh Oh I found a pic that Gene Mozee took of me benching at Ray Mentzers gym Muscle Mill.  This thing is small though.  I blew it up to as big as I could without losing all the resolution.  I'm not sure how much I was doing.  It is either 505 or 555 or something around there.  I am scared to post it cause you guys will make fun

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #698 on: June 20, 2005, 06:37:30 AM »
Just a feeling, but I don't think very many people are gonna make fun of you for benching over half a grand :o

Throwing around 300 lb DB's and not even realizing there heavy is pure crazyness!!! And you beat this guy in armwrestling? How high did you go with that...were you competing in the world chapionships or anything ???

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #699 on: June 20, 2005, 11:33:49 AM »
Bossa yes I used to compete and was okay.  I thnk that day I took on about 30 or so guys.  here is the pic.  Not that hot but it is the only pic I have of me in the gym.