Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 550325 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #775 on: June 26, 2005, 04:26:01 PM »
Hey, Only! when I was stationed on Okinawa in the mid 1960's we had a young Marine always sneaking off base to train at one of the local Dojo's. A few years later, he gained national recognition and opened some Dojo's in the USA. He could have been a great bodybuilder too but his heart was into Karate and the other martial arts.

Do you recall who I am trying to think of?

AND ...... Here is the only attempt that I can make in an effort to top you and the people you have associated with .......... 

Did you ever meet Bruce Lee? .... I did.
Did ya ever meet Jeff Hunter and Phyllis Thaxter? .... I did.
Did you ever smash into Eddie Fisher's car?........ I did (or almost did).
Did ya ever talk story with Rosilland Russel? .... I did.
Did you ever hang out with Kim Novak? ........ I did.
Did you know Doug McCLure? .... I did.
Did ya ever carry Harry James' trumpet?... I did.
Did ya ever hang with Mike Tyson?  .......... I did.
Did ya ever spend time with Bob Hope without a crowd around? ......... I did.
Did ya ever meet Mickey Dolenz and the Monkees? ...... I did.
Did ya ever drink with Gordon Lightfoot? ........ I did.
DId ya ever have a beer wth Marlon Brando? .... I did.
Did ya ever hold an Academy Award? ........ I did.
Did you ever coach a national winning bodybuilder?.... I did.
DId you ever appear on the Art Linkletter show? .... I did.
DId you ever get loaded at an Italian Embassy and ask for Pizza all nite long? ...... I did.
Did ya ever talk old time bodybuilding story with Steve Reeves? .... I did.
Did you ever ski with the Kennedy's? ......... I did.
Did you ever work with Terry (Telly??) Thomas, Pat Boone, Edward Everette Horton, or Pam Austin? ............  I did.
And did you ever meet the guy who played the voice of Cheshier the Cat in the original Disney production of Alice in Wonderland? .... I did, but I forgot his name.
Were you ever the private guest of M. Frankovich when he owned and ran one of the major Hollywood studios? ........... I was.
Did you ever work as a sunt coordinator on a major Hollywood production? ....  I did. (Major to me at least!)
Did you ever get drunk and puke on ...................... Awe, never mind!!

If you guys can ID any of the above, you're a hell of a lot older than you think your are.

I do gotta admit that hanging with Only in any location always turns out to be an adventure.
And if he ever volunteers to show you around Beverly Hills, ask for the Sonny and Cher Tour and the 90210 producer's house (Spellings?) , and get him to knock on the door of Sly Stallone's. You could get invited inside for a beer or two or chased off the property by a couple of Doberman's. You just won't know until you knock.

When you hang with Keith, you got to be prepared for any eventuality, but laughs are always guaranteed.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #776 on: June 26, 2005, 06:34:15 PM »
I just cropped and redid a member's posted photo but forgot when to repost it so it goes here till the owner finds it if he wants it.

Sorry about that, Mr Filosi.

He competed nationally a while back and might be doing some 40+ contests soon. Watch for him on the national level. I got a feeling that this is one man Ernie Santiago will have to beat when and if he does decide to compete.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #777 on: June 26, 2005, 07:16:50 PM »
Here are my answers;

Did you ever meet Bruce Lee? .... I did.   NO I WISH (but did see where he grew up, did you do that)Did ya ever meet Jeff Hunter and Phyllis Thaxter? .... I did.  NO?
Did you ever smash into Eddie Fisher's car?........ I did (or almost did).  NO (but daughters mom's house was right below his, and the guy who played Starsky kicked me out of his parking spot one day when i was at the studio picking up a check)
Did ya ever talk story with Rosilland Russel? .... I did. NO
Did you ever hang out with Kim Novak? ........ I did.  NO (does Tony Nowak count)Did you know Doug McCLure? .... I did.  NO
Did ya ever carry Harry James' trumpet?... I did.  NO (but went to a party with Grammy winner Branson Marcilis?)Did ya ever hang with Mike Tyson?  .......... I did.  YES (quite a bit and been to his house)Did ya ever spend time with Bob Hope without a crowd around? ......... I did.  NO (but tried to get to his house in Palm Springs but was turned away)
Did ya ever meet Mickey Dolenz and the Monkees? ...... I did.  NO (he was in England, worked with his daughter Amy and we had a wrap party at his house.  Mickey's mom loved me)Did ya ever drink with Gordon Lightfoot? ........ I did.  NODId ya ever have a beer wth Marlon Brando? .... I did.  NO
Did ya ever hold an Academy Award? ........ I did.  YES AND SOME EMMY'S, AND A GRAMMYDid you ever coach a national winning bodybuilder?.... I did.  NO (but I know you)
DId you ever appear on the Art Linkletter show? .... I did.  NO (but was booked on Johnny Carson, and my Gillette Commercial aired on johnny Carson)DId you ever get loaded at an Italian Embassy and ask for Pizza all nite long? ...... I did.  NO (but I was drunk one night and had 2 large pizzas end up in my toilet)
Did ya ever talk old time bodybuilding story with Steve Reeves? .... I did.  NO (but i talk to you about them)Did you ever ski with the Kennedy's? ......... I did.  NO (but when I first moved to hawaii my agent set me up with a place to live at her friends.  The lady was Blanche Whittaker the wife of Jack Whittaker the 1st American to climb Mt. Everest and owner of REI Sporting Goods.  They were best friends of the Kennedys and the house was filled with items JFK had given them throughout the years.)Did you ever work with Terry (Telly??) Thomas, Pat Boone, Edward Everette Horton, or Pam Austin? ............  I did.  NO (but I like the song Debbie Boone sang, You are the light of my life)
And did you ever meet the guy who played the voice of Cheshier the Cat in the original Disney production of Alice in Wonderland? .... I did, but I forgot his name.  NO (but we had a cat named Alice)Were you ever the private guest of M. Frankovich when he owned and ran one of the major Hollywood studios? ........... I was.  NO (I actually worked in the business)Did you ever work as a sunt coordinator on a major Hollywood production? ....  I did. (Major to me at least!) No (but I did do actual stunts) have you ever had your SAG card...I DID
Did you ever get drunk and puke on ...................... Awe, never mind!!  YES

If you guys can ID any of the above, you're a hell of a lot older than you think your are.

I do gotta admit that hanging with Only in any location always turns out to be an adventure.
And if he ever volunteers to show you around Beverly Hills, ask for the Sonny and Cher Tour and the 90210 producer's house (Spellings?) , and get him to knock on the door of Sly Stallone's. You could get invited inside for a beer or two or chased off the property by a couple of Doberman's. You just won't know until you knock.

When you hang with Keith, you got to be prepared for any eventuality, but laughs are always guaranteed.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #778 on: June 26, 2005, 07:43:54 PM »
Dang! You're a hard man to beat, Only!

But I did lead you into a few of those, didn't I?

Here's a last one to top and it is open to all ...............

There is an amateur bodybuilder whose phone is answered  by an English Butler and all his meals are prepared by the family chef.

Name him !

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #779 on: June 26, 2005, 07:47:26 PM »
That reminds me.  has anyone called Bill Kazmaier or Ronnie Coleman.  Bill answers the phone This is Bill Kazmaier Worlds Strongest Man. And Ronnies says This is Ronnie Coleman Mr olympia.  I think that is funny.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #780 on: June 28, 2005, 12:07:55 AM »
Well since no one else wants to say anything.  me and Stunt were talking the other day and it brought up a couple of people who I met while living here in hawaii.  I think what is so neat about these two people is that they are two people I watched religiously on TV as a kid.  One was on Hawaii Five-O and the other in Gomer Pyle.

jack Lord spent most of his later years staying in his beach house and painting.  but ocassionally he would go to the grocery store with his wife in his beautiful 1960 something convertible pick cadillac.  he would stay by the car while she went in.  Well twice I saw him there and both times I spent some time talking to him.  he was very nice but I could tell he was very senile.  One of the times we would be talking and all of a sudden he would tell me how many episodes they did of Hawaii Five-O.  He did this at least 10 different times right in the middle of a sentance.  Eevryone that saw him would come over and say Hi.

Jim Nabors has an unreal house on the cliffs of Diamond Head.  His favoriteplace to eat is California Pizza Kitchen.  That too is one of my favorties.  I seen him in their maybe 20 times.  We'd say hi to each other but that was about it.  I was doing a photo shoot one day by his house and he came out to say hi to us.  A very nice guy who also drew allot of attention.

Now I know everyone here has stories about someone famous they met.  They might not completely be in relation to BB or lifting but I know they are interesting.  Plus, maybe Gomer lifted in the Marines.  So share your stories.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #781 on: June 28, 2005, 09:34:55 AM »
Alot of famous people that I've talked to....I never even realized who they were.

Later on someone would tell me that was so & so you were talking with.

I guess it's better that I have no idea otherwise I probably wouldn't even talk to them.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #782 on: June 28, 2005, 09:40:19 AM »
Ive seen a few famous people but never talked to them.  There was one time the movie festival was going on (in Toronto) and there was this woman and man walking along the street and they were pretending to be homeless...It was really quite rediculous, especially the woman.  she was wearing sunglasses at night holding a cup and "ragged clothes" I put ragged in quotations because you could tell it was from being altered that way, not worn...and they were walking down the street like this....I never did figure out who it was tho...but it provided me and the gf with quite a chuckle :D

619Rules

« Reply #783 on: June 28, 2005, 02:58:54 PM »
Hey Onlyme-

That Jack Lord stuff was pretty funny. You know Jack did so quite a bit of painting over there, and he actually was selling some of it on EBAY.

It would show a picture of Jack painting, and then the painting he was selling!

You know Bill Smith played a regular Five-0 guy the last 2-3 seasons. I wonder if he was living overthere fullltime or just during the shooting season?

Five-0 plays everyday on the Hallmark channel....

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #784 on: June 28, 2005, 05:29:07 PM »
Bill Smith - I don't think he resided in Hawaii but came over on occasion to shoot some footage for the series.

Jimy McArthur lived here with his wife and used to stop by when we held some weekend parties up on the rise overlooking Kahala. And Peter Lawford had a place or rented a place in Kahala.

It was common to run into these movie people at the grocery stores and no one (the locals)ever really bothered them. Most of then would hang out at the Outrigger Canoe Club.

OK, back to the bodybuilding stuff................ I just found another ton of old time photos which I will post on here ASAP but I am in the process of moving so it may take a little time.

So stand by to stand by!

Thanks

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #785 on: June 28, 2005, 07:27:05 PM »
HEy Onlyme, sorry to beat the armwrestling thing to death...but I was inspired to purchase the over the top DVD  ;D Anyways I was watching the preliminaries scene and I saw a guy I didn't realize was an armwrestler...Cleve Dean (sp?) I remember him from the WSM where Franco busted his leg...HE WAS ENORMOUS like 450 lbs if I remember correctly....was he any good at armwrestling and did you ever go against him ???

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #786 on: June 28, 2005, 08:48:04 PM »
Cleve Dean was perhaps the best known armwrestler in the world. he was 9 time world champion.  he made his name in Wristwrestling up in Petaluma.  he weighed over 600 pounds when we were filming Over the Top.  I did beat him during the Over The TOp world championship in Vegas.  The only thing is they disqualified me after I pinned him in 1:27.  He told them my body hit my arm.  The refs didn't see anything but took his word for it.  The place went ballastic cause everyone knew I beat him.  That match was so hard.  he is huge.  On Wide World of Sports to show how big his hand was they took his ring off his finger and put a quarter through it. 

he was so big I remember talking to these girls and they were looking at Cleve sitting across the way.  Then all of a sudden you could see he was pissing in his pants.  He was just to big to get up and piss.  My strategy to for our match was make him go up to the table and have to wait.  This way he was a little more tired from having to stand up there all that time.  i waited till they almost disqualified me before I went up.  he had 29" biceps (if you could call them that).  he was just so big.  earlier in his career his weighed about 450 or so.

One of my best friend is still to this day the youngest competitor in the WSM events.  he too was an armwrestler.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #787 on: June 28, 2005, 09:19:34 PM »
great story onlyme

One of these days.....I am gonna have to watch that movie again

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #788 on: June 28, 2005, 11:38:06 PM »
Keith, ya probably know this already but that place in Petaluma where it all started is Gilardi's Bar or Tavern.

OK, back to some old time pics......

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #789 on: June 28, 2005, 11:48:51 PM »
Old time Pics

The first is Porter Cottrell probably in the best shape of his life .........

The second is a young Phil Hernon. I tried to call Phil this past weekend with no success. Will keep on tryen and get an update. Also trying to contact Mendenhall for an update.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #790 on: June 28, 2005, 11:54:49 PM »
First shot ....... Name all three guys.

Second shot .............. Name him. Hint... Last name S_ _ _ _

OPPPPSS! Forget that on the last. The name of the shot gives it away.

Let's try the first name.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #791 on: June 29, 2005, 12:04:53 AM »
I think that this shot of Ron Teufel was taken the year that Tony Pierson won the nationals in Cinn.

That was a big surprise (but deserving) to Tony and a major upset for Ron.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #792 on: June 29, 2005, 12:15:58 AM »
ONLY, you should be better able to discuss this shot. It was taken at Mike Scott's Power Pit in Pearl City.

The second picture is a shot of the young Air Force E-4 who had great potential about ten years back or more. Anyone recognize him and know what he is up to today? He was just a beginner when he won this contest.

This was around the time of Lance Bennett who competed in Az and won the state title after he got out of the army. I'll try to dig up some Lance shots.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #793 on: June 29, 2005, 12:19:59 AM »
Second attempt, here is that 2nd shot of the AF winner.

Bix

• Getbig IV
  • The Instigator
« Reply #794 on: June 29, 2005, 03:32:23 AM »
I think that this shot of Ron Teufel was taken the year that Tony Pierson won the nationals in Cinn.

That was a big surprise (but deserving) to Tony and a major upset for Ron.

Stunt, Pearson won the Mr. America not the Nationals.I think you know that but lets keep it right for those who don't know. ;)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #795 on: June 29, 2005, 04:22:33 AM »
Thanks, Bix!

Here are some more pics. Remember that they are old prints and have been gathering dust in the haunted attic we got down below.......

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #796 on: June 29, 2005, 04:27:37 AM »
I'm sure you recall those two above, but how about these?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #797 on: June 29, 2005, 04:31:32 AM »
Great guy! Good stories!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #798 on: June 29, 2005, 10:09:28 AM »
First shot is Phil Hernon with Mike Mattarazzo in the background. I don't know what contest or year this one was and I also don't know who took the picture.

Second shot is Porter once again ............

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #799 on: June 29, 2005, 10:28:18 AM »
This is Brett Yokley. We met Brett at the 1990 Nationals in Los Angeles and were very impressed but he took 14th place in the heavies which I guess was a major disappointment.

I am not aware if he continued to compete Nationally after 1990 but he did have a hell of a lot of potential.

He was 6'3" at a competitive wt of 235 and was studying Biology at Arizona State University.

Brett won the Az State title in 1989

2nd photo is the great Larry Scott while training in Utah I believe. This photo goes back a while but it is not dated.