Author Topic: Stories - Your favorite stories re pros / legends  (Read 549429 times)

Jay Em

• Getbig II
  • The iron bug may rust... but will never die!
Re: Tell your favorite stories re pros/legends
« Reply #1075 on: January 19, 2006, 03:09:24 PM »
Other than Alan Stephan, the original active partner of early times, which evolved
into AHS I don't know. No, I never met Pepper Gomez, the wrestler who's build
far exceeded the times. And I never visited the El Toro base until early 80s with
an old Viet pal, who went back into the Corps to become an officer. I heard that
they always had incredible workout facilities, but never visited myself. Now it's
long gone, the base that is. Progress! You know, a lot of progress sucks, it just
seems to take certain things...backward. Besides, I'm a sentimental slob.

And I never visited any other American Health Studio in Ameica other than that one I mentioned. That was my old-time favorite gym of all time, with Vince's 2nd,
and this 2nd story hardcore one where wristwrestlers and my buddies worked
out in Palo Alto, 2 minutes from Stanford.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1076 on: January 19, 2006, 04:44:21 PM »
I used to get a shave every week from a Vietnamese guy who was phenominal with a straight edge razor. Clean your beard like a baby's ass. We got hit one nite and he was one of the guys we found dead in the wire trying to take the hill.

That’s messed up.  Must make you think a lot.

Jay and Knny realize that a great Supply Sgt in the USMC is usually a former "bandit" from the east coast who pulled midnight requisitions at an early age from the airports and the wharfs in and about NY city and other major supply centers.

Marines don’t steal…we acquire things.   A good friend of mine was killed in Iraq last year during an ambush.  A buddy from his company was telling the rest of us a story & it really hit home because this is how we were when we served together.

Anyways…they were in shortage of Constantine Wire & He was the Operations Officer for his company.  They were in short supply & they couldn't find any extra anywhere & it was going to be weeks before more came in. So he borrowed a Hummv & 5 ton truck & went over to some of the Allied forces & would walk up to the supply & said  “Your Battalion XO said you have some extra wire that you could spare & he sent me over to pick it up”.  They not only fell for it....he even included to it..... "Your XO said that you could call a forklift over here to give us a hand as well".  It was hysterical.  They said in a matter of a couple hours they had more than enough wire to set up for defense.  They couldn’t believe it when they saw the truck come back full of wire.

Stunt called them “bandits”….I like to use the word “scrounger”.

I would like to
think the crusty 'ol bastard (he'd probably love the reference...) was still alive.
I'd be there for him to help if he needed it.

He’s still alive & always will be because he's in your memories.

While on shit detail--even the gooks wouldn't burn our
shit for money--I got creative. I made and painted two signs for the shitters.
One was...The Honey Hut; the other...The Sugar Shack, both in red and yellow
Marine colors, of course. The shit sergeant was livid, ready to write me up. But
our company commander and his officers loved it, laughed and used the shitters with a renewed zest, so to speak.

I have burned my fair share of shit.  Although I am not as old corps as you guys….I remember the first time I lit the gas/diesel  concoction & stirring it in the shit thinking…"damn….I can’t believe I am on shit detail” - lol

Oh, Stunt, and regarding allocations and war and what the Corps got, or didn't
get, you probably well know that the Marine Corps since WWII has gotten LESS equipment, goods, gear, (and has done MORE with it--by far--than any other service). This was offically noted by Congress and Truman. So henceforth, because Truman wanted to END the Marine Corps, he justified, as did Congress, the Corps continuation...but with less (actual) allocation than any other service branch.

In 'Nam, we had second hand supply trucks, most with floors rusted out and
supported with wooden blanks. These comments are in NO disrespect to any
other service, by the way. We're all in this formation of the brotherhood. But
facts are facts. Very few people realize this stuff. It deserves to be revealed.

So, for Marines to never complain (well, not entirely, but you know what I mean), suck-it-up and survive and thrive with PRIDE is incredible!!

& it’s still the same thing even today.  I’m not in anymore but I still have friends that are.  I remember how it feels when we get some brand new equipment.  Then we would run into some Rangers or something & they would laugh and say  “you guys are still using that stuff, thats stuff is ancient”….& walk away laughing.

USMC

Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #1077 on: January 19, 2006, 06:21:35 PM »
Knny187...Thanks for picking up on all that stuff. Sometimes a person wonders if the memories are wasted, ya know. And also to have other Marines recall certain things helps to confirm questions and events deep in the brain housing group (you know, like the trigger housing group, M-1 & M-14, both of which I qualified for). These memories we dig up in the love/hate/love relationship with the Corps, are in additional defense of the training, testing, physical, mental, emotional, and regimental rigors. The equipment/supply thing, while seemingly insignificant, tells reams about what Marines have accomplished...with so little, relatively speaking. No matter how tough certain other (elite) divisions within the services are reported to be, the Marines accomplish MORE w/ LESS, in many cases, far, far less. It's just one of those little biG somethings that falls through the cracks. Also, despite outward confidance and Espirit de Corps, etc., that Marines are noted and famous for, the Corps and countless leathernecks are quite modest, reserved...considering all things. But I give
endless respect and support to ALL servicemen and VETS. Period.

Now, Stunt (&Knny187): Stunt, earlier on you mentioned that Major Hockaday
(what a name, what a guy, what a Marine) was not a lifter, per se. Just out of
curiosity, did you ever see him without his shirt on? (All your little memoirs
brought back this for me.) First, Walker was in his 30s, about, what 5'9"-5'91/2", weighed probably 150-160 pounds, tops. And he had a rather
poor posture, sloped shoulders, bent upper back and caved (literally) chest.
This rather less than textbook body was matched with close-set, keen-like
eyes, high cheek bones, a Roman hook nose and thin lips, all layed upon a
chauky-like skin color. Not exactly your picture-perfect Mack Marine look, to
say the least.

Again, worth repeating, Stunt, did you ever see Hockaday without his shirt,
bare upper body? As another point of reference, it was believed that Major
Walker had received wounds in 'Nam that affected his upper structure (posture
and spine, etc.), especially the mid to lower back. Anyway, one time, away
from Corps structure and the school's routine that he lead, a bunch of us
noticed him with PT outfit on, little green shorts, tennis shoes, minus t-shirt,
cover. He was over in one of his sandpits doing the very exercises he made us
do...by himself, off duty, if there was such a thing for him, and just before sun-
set.

Remember an old time strongman, lifter named Alan P. Mead, a famous physical
culturist? He was often referred to as a human anatomy chart ( as was Sandow...). Hockaday was built much like Mead, no kidding. He was solid bone
and muscle. Not one centimeter of fat anywhere. (We all know about his
famous running, which he had us doing right with him). He had not huge but
highly defined, hard, shapely muscles everywhere. His abs were like ridges of
stones. His chest carved around the pecs as if he took a knife to them. He
truly was built. We just stared, making comments back and forth to each other.
We stood in awe of him from that point forward. Everything--and then some--
he demanded of us, he did himself. He lead by example. And he was quite
famous as well to defend his troops. He was once reported to take some
Marines down into Mexico to help some of his boys?? If a trooper had a real
challenge and you went to The Man, he would be there for you.

So, with a sincere sense of Semper Fi and without sounding corny, if he were
alive and needed help, in whatever way, I would be there for him. He was also
called 'ol blood n' guts. And I would put my guts on the line for him, just like
he did for so many Marines.   

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1078 on: January 19, 2006, 06:29:28 PM »
I don't know how many cases of beer I "stold" from the 101 Airborne basecamp in Nam but I have a strong suspicion that they were well aware of our "scrounging" and just looked the other way when they saw us coming.

It was always too damn easy. They knew what we needed and they let us have it. I'm sure of that.

The 101st flew in and saved my ass once and it was the tradition to throw a party for any outfit that saved another.

We held that party in a makeshift O club just south of Hue and it was definitely the best party I even attended even though I had to pay for the whole damn thing.

SOme of the guys getting messed up at my expense couldn't even speak English so it was evident that the word had gotten around pretty fast. And someone was delivering highballs to the local villagers who came over to see what all the excitemet was about.

That was the first time I ever met Australian Marines and they were definitely a kick in the ass and some damn wild critters. AP guys were there having one hell of a time listening to all the stories of shit that happened the week before.

I had the honor of going through a wing pinning ceremony by the 101st. I'll tell you about that later.

The last thing I remember that night was hopping on a Army helicopter in the pitch blackness to go on a recon patroll but the CO pulled my ass  out and set me on my butt on the LZ and there I waited till they came back after sunrise.

Then we all went back to the O club to finish up until the saner officers closed us down.

It took me a couple of pay days to pay that bill and the 101st kept on checking to see if they could be of further assistance.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1079 on: January 19, 2006, 06:56:16 PM »

That was the first time I ever met Australian Marines and they were definitely a kick in the ass and some damn wild critters. AP guys were there having one hell of a time listening to all the stories of shit that happened the week before.

I worked with some Aussies in Somalia & they were an "interesting" bunch.... calling us "Yanks" & so on.  Basically...it's interesting watching two different cultures trying to communicate "English" back & forth & either side has no idea what the other is trying to say.  I remember all the Marines from the southern states getting all pissy being called yanks & it cause a few verbal altercations.

One of them brought a rugby ball & teached us the "rules" per say.  Needless to say....the game seem more like a hitting match - lol.

The other thing we tried to teach those guys was keeping their damn finger off the trigger until ready to fire.  They kept have negligent discharges from tripping on a rock, falling down, & squeezing off a round.

I have to say the Royal Marines were extremely professional & the French Foreign Legionnaires are good to go.  I always wanted to work with the Roc Marines.  I heard those guys were nuts.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #1080 on: January 19, 2006, 07:09:36 PM »
Those Korean Marines were nuts! And they loved to impress American Marines,
whom they so admired, by acting even crazier.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1081 on: January 20, 2006, 12:02:18 AM »
FUCK! I LOVE THIS STUFF!   Keep it up guys.  I am so happy that Stunt has some guys he can story tell with.  I love when Stunt tells me his war stories.  You guys are all heroes to me man.  By the way I am working on a website wihh some military interest.  My friend who Stunt knows is a loyal military man to thecore.  He asked me to put together a website to honor war heroes.  The site is at www.americanwarheroes.org  Go take a look and if you have any suggestions by all means tell me.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #1082 on: January 20, 2006, 12:05:19 PM »
I am surprised that no one has talked about Camp Talega yet.  I’ve stayed there a few times a few years ago & the Quanson Huts are still there.  The bar/club is there too, nut I can’t remember for the life of me the name of it.

On that note, I’ve always felt the Marine Corps mad a mistake getting away from open squad bays & Quanson huts type of living for the platoons.  Barracks quarters is too much like a college dorm.  Marines are not as tight as a unit unless they eat, sleep, & train together all the time.

What I miss the most about the Corps is the comradeship & closeness.  You just don’t get that in civilian life.  I still can remember many days playing Spades on ammo cans.

Jay Em

• Getbig II
« Reply #1083 on: January 20, 2006, 01:36:31 PM »
Knny187; words spoken as if coming from my own mind and mouth.
Hey, where's Stunt, he never responded to my last Hockaday post about his
physique? C'mon, Marine, get back in formation (sir...).

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1084 on: January 20, 2006, 04:16:54 PM »
Hey, Jay, somehow I missed that post but your description of Hockaday is perfect. I worked with him for about 8 months in Nam and was with him constantly.

With all due respect, he sort of reminded me of Disney's Ichibod Crane from the Headless Horseman with a lean but muscular build. He was 100% Marine and totally loyal and absolutely nothing phoney about his total dedication to the Corps.

I don't recall him owning anything that wasn't Marine Corps Issue. He once told me that if he needed anything, the Corps would issue it to him. That didn't hold true for his Olive drab Cad of course.

Gotta head off but will be back with you on this shortly. One of my favorite sayings in the Corps was "Hurry up and wait."

brock125

• Getbig II
« Reply #1085 on: January 20, 2006, 04:56:20 PM »
Onlyme you have some great stories. The gym in Hawaii with 300 lb dumbells you talked about did the dumbells go up in ten pound increments like 240,250,280,290 and so on. If so what was the most you ever saw someone press with the dumbells? Just curious, Im new here.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1086 on: January 20, 2006, 08:03:53 PM »
Yes the DB's went up in10 lb. increments.  The name of theplace was The Gym later changed to World Gym then it close down and the Db's went over to Gold's in Honolulu.  I personally only saw a couple guys do the 240's.  I think I did the 200's but I had to have a guy hand meeach DB anditgot towhere no one wanted to help me.  I was fine and could easily do 8 reps but getting them there was hard.  Plus they were just to big to use.  Coleman came in and did 12 one arm rows with them.  And there were other guys who could do that in there.  Other than benching and rowing the DB's that weighed over 200 no one else used them.  What was neat about the gym too was at the entrance in front of the front desk, thye always had on a bench press whatever the World record was for the benchpress.  It looked neat with all 45's on there

brock125

• Getbig II
« Reply #1087 on: January 20, 2006, 08:21:20 PM »
That's impressive. I read on here Greg Kovacs inclined 300 lb dumbells for 9 reps thought maybe you saw it done.

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #1088 on: February 16, 2006, 09:57:14 PM »
That's impressive. I read on here Greg Kovacs inclined 300 lb dumbells for 9 reps thought maybe you saw it done.

I highly doubt that really happened. Fucking Kovacs  ::)
Sultan

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1089 on: February 17, 2006, 01:43:33 AM »
As big as Kovacs is I doubt he is as strong as some of the guys at the gym I am talking about and no one there did 300 lb inclines with db's.  And we had several 600+ benchers and a couple 700lb benchers who live here.  Unless it is the typical way these guys do that kind of weight with a guy spotting each arm and doing half the weight.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #1090 on: February 24, 2006, 07:54:52 PM »
i once saw a  police tribal officer in a power lifting meet do 250 pound dumbell presses for 8 good reps the amazing thing was he weighed 250 himself

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1091 on: February 27, 2006, 01:28:57 PM »
I should be finding some more olden day pictures soon and will take them to the photo shop to get them on a disc so I can forward them to one and all. I'm relying on a good friend to go through some old boxes in a former attic of mine and when he does that and sends them to me it should be pretty interesting for most of us.

So - Stand by to stand by.

brock125

• Getbig II
« Reply #1092 on: March 02, 2006, 08:45:31 PM »
benchthis- did you really see that police officer press 250 lb dumbells? that is freaking awesome.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1093 on: March 03, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »
That might be the samecopwho beat Kaz. record with the 150's at the Arnold a few years ago.  I was standing with Kaz and Mark Henry when the guy broke his record.

brock125

• Getbig II
« Reply #1094 on: March 03, 2006, 05:44:54 PM »
Was his name Bob Thomas by any chance? I just did some research on him and it said he also shoulder pressed 100 lb dumbells for 44 reps.

ramazon

• Getbig III
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #1095 on: March 04, 2006, 08:18:34 PM »
Yes they did get married later on.  In fact I think I saw a few of the wedding pics.  Okay let me tell you my Benny Podda story.
At Muscle Mill I used to provide quite a few people with those body enhancing supplements you usually get in Mexico.  Spme of them we talk about on these boards.  But nothing will come from these lips on that.  Anyway, Benny told me about a really good supplement that is given to race horses.  It was milky white.  Now for awhile everything was great.  Until one day one of my friends told me nothing is happening and it's been 2 months.  He took it to a pharmacist friend of his and it was actually milk.  So I approached Benny to ask him what's up. He said they are joking with me and left.  So I cehcked again with my friend and he showed me some kind of letter from his friend stating the facts.  So he gave me a copy and I showed Benny.  Benny then says well what the you gonna do.  Give him back his money.  I said no problem you give me back my money.  Then he erupted.  I was pretty surprised because Benny was allot smaller than me and especially shorter.  I looked at him and said what the f**k you talking about you fucking scumbag.  Now Ray comes over and asks what is happening.  I told him everything.  Then benny buts in and says. Hey asshole what are you going to do about it.  I said I'm going to kick your ass.  He says f**k you while Ray is between us.I then told the girl behind the counter to call 911.  benny says what the f**k you calling the cops for pussy.  I say not the cops...an ambulance casue I'm going to beat the shit out of you and I want them here so you don't die.  Ray loved that line and told us to knock it off.  Benny walked away cussing at me.  Ray turns to me ands says.  What the f**k is going on here I don't want to be in the middle of you two guys goinng at it.  From then on me and Benny never said another word to each other.  The guy who bought the stuff from me I made up to with some other supplements.  That is why i say that about Benny.  He was a tough little guy but at that time not to many people bothered me.  Max remember Ron Gibson from work.
I know--have TRAINED, ATE and DRANK and STANK with almost everyone you've mentioned.  (Who ARE you guys?  I certainly must know you, too.)  For the record, I didn't marry Mr. Ross.  Instead, I brought him to Venice, which eventually led to his early death. Indeed, Ross was disruptive but hardly insane.  He was a entertaining genius who keeled over at age 48 from his first heart attack.  (While training for the Master's Olympia at the personal request of Joe Weider, he thought he had the flu.  He was breathing hard on the stationary bike that day, but "had to finish" his cardio, he said.)  Although they didn't know how to receive him at Gold's when he debuted in the early 80's, by the time of his passing, he had EVERYONE training purposefully, loving their bodies,
understanding each other better, feeling like they belonged to a Great
Society--and LAUGHING at things like pictures of ugly pussies (the Schmev-Meter, he called it, a photo he took from a page in Hustler and actually had laminated) and come-ons from horny homos.  "Differences aren't defects, pal," he'd
tell ya with an exagerated snarl.  When he passed, even Arnold S. called my home to provide a quote for his eulogy.  Don's memorial service was unbelievably well-attended (as you can imagine, I've attended them all, and there's WAY TOO many of them).  BB's and pencilnecks alike stood shoulder to shoulder, pressing their bodies in order to grieve with one another.  Nobody but nobody ate that day.  Today, whenever we try to "talk like the Ripper", most of us bust up crying. 
Don Ross was The Great Spirit of bodybuilding.  We were SO lucky to have him.     

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #1096 on: March 04, 2006, 11:12:53 PM »
Don was a character.  He wanted to do an article on me the last time I saw him.  Here we are for the Gillette commercial.  Ramazon are Teagan

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #1097 on: March 05, 2006, 07:36:13 AM »
LOVELY photo, sir!  But I don't recognize you without your hair.
I can DEFINITELY see what Don supported in you.  You
two must've made quite a tag team.

dodger

• Getbig III
Re: onlyme, Max_rep, others: tell your favorite stories
« Reply #1098 on: June 02, 2006, 12:43:39 PM »
Here`s a screencap of one of the Barbarians,taken from Shawn Rays video Lifestyles of the fit and famous.
Check out the neck.!!
hey crownshep,is there anyway u can post that entire clip of DAVID PAUL from lifestles video,do u have more pics of david

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #1099 on: June 02, 2006, 05:25:41 PM »
hey Keith speaking of Ray Mentzer do you remember hearing about him and Rick Valente almost getting into it over a girl, i remember reading about it in Greg Valentino's column in MD?
Jaejonna rows 125!!