Author Topic: NFL bench press strength test  (Read 14729 times)

MassRuhlz

• Getbig II
  • Mass Ruhlz
NFL bench press strength test
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »
I know in the NFL they test a players bench press strength by seeing how many times they bench 225lbs. Just curious if anyone knows any rep amounts for players, i got it up 32 times and was wondering if this was any good.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: NFL bench press strength test
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:44:25 PM »
TOP BENCH-PRESS RESULTS -- OFFENSIVE LINE AND TIGHT ENDS
Player                                          School                       Position    Reps

LONG, JAKE                                   MICHIGAN                    OT      37
ZUTTAH, JEREMY                           RUTGERS                      OT      35
BARTON, KIRK                              OHIO ST                       OT      34
GIBSON, MICHAEL                          CAL-BERKELEY               OT      31
NICKS, CARL                                 NEBRASKA                     OT      31
KEITH, BRANDON                           NORTHERN IOWA           OT      31
GRECO, JOHN                               TOLEDO                        OT      30
MCGLYNN, MICHAEL                       PITTSBURGH                 OT      30
MURPHY, SHAWN                           UTAH ST                      OG      29
MCDUFFIE, CHRISTOPHER                CLEMSON                     OG      29
POLLAK, MIKE                               ARIZONA ST                  OC      29

STEVENS, CRAIG                           CAL-BERKELEY                TE      27
KELLER, DUSTIN                            PURDUE                        TE      26
COTTAM, BRAD                             TENNESSEE                    TE      24
DAVIS, FREDERICK                          SOUTHERN CAL              TE      24
FINE, DEREK                                 KANSAS                         TE      24
KAPANUI, KOLOMONA                    WEST TEXAS A&M           TE      23
BARNIDGE, GARY                            LOUISVILLE                   TE      22
DAVIS, KELLEN                               MICHIGAN ST                TE      22
BISHOP, ADAM                              NEVADA-RENO               TE      21

http://nflblogs.profootballweekly.com/NFLdraft/2008/02/bench_press_results.html

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 01:45:54 PM »
the best recorded at the combine was 44 reps.

MassRuhlz

• Getbig II
  • Mass Ruhlz
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »
wow, thanks for the info, didnt think I was that close to them in reps...by the way, I have been training for 25 years so you dont think im just throwing #'s out there...6'2", 247lbs

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »
wow, thanks for the info, didnt think I was that close to them in reps...by the way, I have been training for 25 years so you dont think im just throwing #'s out there...6'2", 247lbs
yea most I've got was 24 or 25.my gym has a board on the wall with the names of members that get it more than 20reps.most at my gym is 37.I remember when I was excited I got 225 for 3 reps ha ha.I can't remember I think warren sapp held the NFL record for a while.
DAWG

MassRuhlz

• Getbig II
  • Mass Ruhlz
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 05:41:26 PM »
I never tried the 225 thing till 2 buddies of mine brought it up couple days ago, so i thought id try it...did 2 sets of 210 for 12-15 reps for warm up then went right to 225lbs.

Lynchie

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 02:53:46 AM »
Dyam, that's good. I was at my best when I was 21 (28 now) and benched around 380 for 10 reps. Think we tried 220 once for a fun and I pushed around 22 reps before utterly failing.  >:(

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 05:00:54 AM »
Dyam, that's good. I was at my best when I was 21 (28 now) and benched around 380 for 10 reps. Think we tried 220 once for a fun and I pushed around 22 reps before utterly failing.  >:(

thats weird because Iv'e got 225 24-25 reps.but I've never got 380 more than 2 reps.
DAWG

MassRuhlz

• Getbig II
  • Mass Ruhlz
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »
380 for 10 reps,  wow, now i gotta try that...not sure im gonna get 10 reps though, thats alot of weight...will let you know

Lynchie

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 05:51:37 AM »
 ??? 380 is not really that much is it?  ??? I've seen tons of guys pushing 450 and beyond.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:06:53 AM »
??? 380 is not really that much is it?  ??? I've seen tons of guys pushing 450 and beyond.
::)

MassRuhlz

• Getbig II
  • Mass Ruhlz
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »
450lbs....lots of guys?, where do you workout...ronnie colemans house?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »

here we go
DAWG

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »
this thread went from zero to stupid pretty quik !

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 06:13:49 PM »
LMFAO. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Lynchie

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 12:37:47 AM »
Aha I see  :). Vocal but weak  ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 08:51:18 AM »
I would think the average bench, for even experience BB'ers, would be around 300. Give or take 20lbs. And probably 4 to 5 reps at the most. 300 is a lot of weigh for most BB'ers, if you really think about.  Guy's throw around bench numbers like frisbee's all the time. If you join the 400 club, and train as a  BB'er only, you have really accomplish something. PL'ers are a different story all together. Big bencher's are born to it. They are the exception, like high school kids pressing 315-330 for reps.

Though repping out at the NFL combo's (or at a team training room) is cool, it never is any gauge to actual playing strength. Coaches know, or should, this. Seen 250lb linemen have problems with 250 benches, yet can move opposing players around with ease. Good Luck.
F

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 08:55:40 AM »
I would think the average bench, for even experience BB'ers, would be around 300. Give or take 20lbs. And probably 4 to 5 reps at the most. 300 is a lot of weigh for most BB'ers, if you really think about.  Guy's throw around bench numbers like frisbee's all the time. If you join the 400 club, and train as a  BB'er only, you have really accomplish something. PL'ers are a different story all together. Big bencher's are born to it. They are the exception, like high school kids pressing 315-330 for reps.

Though repping out at the NFL combo's (or at a team training room) is cool, it never is any gauge to actual playing strength. Coaches know, or should, this. Seen 250lb linemen have problems with 250 benches, yet can move opposing players around with ease. Good Luck.
actually agree with you here, also never understood trying to guesstimate a one rep max from a 225 for reps max, they're usually EXTREMELY overblown, an examp,e would be players claiming a 500 pound 1RM off of 30 reps with 225, no fucckign way.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »
as usualy, larry allen destroys the comp this year

i think hes like 6'3'' 340. Rediculously huge.

dead by 35

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 01:30:59 PM »
I don't know much about the positions of a US football team but I'm assuming that these guys are the heaviest guys on the team right?

Do they test the running backs and wide receivers too?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
I know in the NFL they test a players bench press strength by seeing how many times they bench 225lbs. Just curious if anyone knows any rep amounts for players, i got it up 32 times and was wondering if this was any good.
yes...that is very good

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 05:45:19 PM »
Yes MassRuhl, that is exceptional benching. Congrats.

All football players try the bench test, though not always with the 225. Even delicate quarterback and kickers have been know to do these. Also feature power cleans as a test of strength for reps. And squats also.

All in all, those high rep benches really do not mean that much in a actual real game time. But coaches seem to get off on that stuff, for whatever reason. Good Luck.
F

MassRuhlz

• Getbig II
  • Mass Ruhlz
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »
Thanx big mal...never really been one to do alot of max lifts in all my years of working out, usually do my 2 warmup sets , then 4-5 sets of 6-8 or 8-10 reps depending on strength and goals at that time. I've worked out in my basement all my life(bought tons of equipment over the years), so ego lifting was never an issue.

The Coach

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »

Yes thats good.......too bad it doesn't mean shit exept at the combine. We have combine training every year for up and coming players, the 225 test is just an ego boost.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 06:33:53 AM »
Thanx big mal...never really been one to do alot of max lifts in all my years of working out, usually do my 2 warmup sets , then 4-5 sets of 6-8 or 8-10 reps depending on strength and goals at that time. I've worked out in my basement all my life(bought tons of equipment over the years), so ego lifting was never an issue.

Oh ok cool. I made my best gains in the basement. Maybe because you can focus better, better music i dont know but basement is definatley where its at. You have a training partner?