Author Topic: Q&A WITH POWERLIFTING LEGEND VINCE ANELLO  (Read 65235 times)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Q&A WITH POWERLIFTING LEGEND VINCE ANELLO
« on: February 11, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »
don't know if you guys have noticed but the Great Vince Anello has joined Getbig and ok'd a Q and A thread, i feel it's a great thing to have a powerlifting legend like Vince on board so everybody give him a shout out and ask away.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: Q&A WITH POWERLIFTING LEGEND VINCE ANELLO
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 01:00:54 PM »
i guess i'll start, Vince, what exercises do you feel helped that huge deadlift of yours the most and how did you train for that lift?

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »
I had my Biggest success with negative accentuated deadlifts.I took the bar of pins in Power rack,did a slow negative ,and an a regular positive.I also did partials from a Powerrack.I added 50 lb over last single ,and did a single from 1 in below knee.I then added another 50 lb and single at middle of knee.In the dead ,I cycled singles rathe than reps.I also did drives from floor to pins and isometric holds.The bar was pulled to just below knee and held for about 6 sec against pin. to develop the start(Usually 3 singles)Weights varied .I also found that partial squats helped my Deadlift.I trained deadlift once a week or every ten days.I found the stronger I got more rest needed.I also,on alternate days liked Lat Pulls and Hypers to develop the deadlifting muscles

www.americanstrengthlege nds.com

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »
thanks Vince, how did you set up your bench press training and what were some of your favorite assistance movments for it?

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:18:52 AM »
I found that partial benches always helpd.After my last set I would place a 2in board on my chest for a sincle(usually 10 l b over my top pondagefor day)Then 2 2in boards for another single.I would keep adding boards and weight til I was just doing a lockout.For the start I would have a training partner hold their hand a few inches over my chest and drive the bar off chest for a 6 sec iso hold.I also did Tri Presses,Incline presses,and other exercises to develop muscles used directly in benching and also Stabilizing muscles like bicep curls and Lat Pulls(Developed Lats Where a Great Foundation for a strong bench)

I trained recently at a Power Gym New age Training ,Chains ,bands,ect I always wondered what I could have done with this new technology!!! ???

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:40:56 AM »
I also did drives from floor to pins and isometric holds.The bar was pulled to just below knee and held for about 6 sec against pin. to develop the start(Usually 3 singles)Weights varied

that's a great idea !

robins

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:04:29 PM »
Good threat and good read!

My deadlift can use some progression  ;D

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:25:59 AM »
cool thread!

any advice for someone working out on their own?
i see there is a lot of assistance work but i am not able to all of things by myself

i am hoping to find someone to workout with at my new gym, but highly unlikely due to my eratic schedule

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 04:24:51 AM »
You can of course deadlift alone ,but I would not suggest squatting nor benching "heavy' without a training partner.Their are assistance exercises you can do for the primary muscles and stabilizing muscles for each lift but you need training partners for spotting and mental support!!!I won some of my World Championships by training in a Basement Gym with 3 Training Partners who were as CRASY AS I WAS!!!!!LOL ;D We would Psych Up and Go Berserk Before our lifts!!! Cant do That Alone!!!Or at Most Commercial Gyms!!! In Fact on one of My Travels I wanted to train at a Gym in the Town and They Would not admit me.They knew who I was and said I would use too  Heavy a Weight and would disturb the other Members!!! :'( ::) ;D

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 07:53:33 AM »
cool thread!

any advice for someone working out on their own?
i see there is a lot of assistance work but i am not able to all of things by myself

i am hoping to find someone to workout with at my new gym, but highly unlikely due to my eratic schedule
in addition to Vince's advice i would consider investing in a good power rack so you can do heavy partial movements and even full range movements to failure with safety, just drop the bar on the pins when you hit failure and crawl out from under it.

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 08:59:49 AM »
A Power rack Good Suggestion!!! I tried a year ago to purchase one from an. equippment chain out here owned by a Former Powerlifter.He said they were hard to get.I am going to make one for my gym . I wanted to make a Deadlift Video and Demo my Power rack training with Negative Accentuated reps I ,however,do not train too many lifters now.The majority are female with fitness goals ,including one Ballet teacher from the area.
A word of caution ,However,even with Power rack.I know one lifter who was squatting on a rack without spotters .He missed the weight and dropped to the pins.He still injured his knee and back.It is an Aid in Solo training but does not take the place of spotters.A lot of things can happen when lifting heavy.I believe it is best to have someone near in case of emergency.I quess I am getting more Cautious in My Old Age!!! LOL :-\

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
in addition to Vince's advice i would consider investing in a good power rack so you can do heavy partial movements and even full range movements to failure with safety, just drop the bar on the pins when you hit failure and crawl out from under it.

if i had a house i would. it would be easier to have my friend spot me then. i could keep beer and a tv in the basement with my power rack and have them spot me during commercial breaks!
i am looking into a gym in the area i am moving into, called colossal or colosseum gym (i think) the owner seemed really cool and told me they offer a couple weeks for free just to try the place out so i am may do that.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 05:56:33 PM »
Vince, what did you do in terms of grip training for your deadlifts? 

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »
We had a bar twice as thick as an olympic bar that we used to deadlift on.Also what is Great know is those Iron GrippersInstead of Reps Squeeze then and Hold(Static Contraction)WE had something of that sort back in the Day but ones I have seen today are much better.(I saw them in York)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 03:19:13 PM »
Vince, do you believe that in the deadlift the upper back must be as powerful as the lower back? I have heard some arguments for heavy rows to bring up your DL numbers lately. I believe Matt Kroczaleski wrote of it in a recent article too.

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
Oh Yes   The Lats and Traps should be strong especially in the Finish.All the muscles have to be strong if not directly envoved but stabilizors.On a Building if one Brick is defective there is a possibility the building will at some time collapse!!!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »
Oh Yes   The Lats and Traps should be strong especially in the Finish.All the muscles have to be strong if not directly envoved but stabilizors.On a Building if one Brick is defective there is a possibility the building will at some time collapse!!!

Well put. I remember my DL being very easy when I did heavy rows every week, now that I think about it.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 08:00:33 PM »
DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »
hey vince I'm from Ohio also.do you follow the browns,indians,or cavs at all?
DAWG

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 05:01:48 AM »
Yes My Friend I Followed The Tribe,Cavs and Browns sice Childhood!!! ;D

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 08:24:06 AM »
Hi Vince,

what changes did you make in training and diet when changing weight classes?

Also, what would you reccomend for someone who is still learning how to deadlift? (non-competetive)

Thank you in advance for the answers.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 09:40:51 AM »
Yes My Friend I Followed The Tribe,Cavs and Browns sice Childhood!!! ;D

Hell yea!the lovable losers ;D.cavs are gonna do it this year.followed by the tribe...the browns not so much :-\.anyways nice of you to join Getbig and answer questions.hope you stick around.I would say your one of the best deadlifter's in history.there's a friend of mine from central Ohio that held the record in his weight class for a while Jackie Baltimore.ever heard of him?
DAWG

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 10:33:08 AM »
Hi Vince,

what changes did you make in training and diet when changing weight classes?

Also, what would you reccomend for someone who is still learning how to deadlift? (non-competetive)

Thank you in advance for the answers.

My Training was the same Diet to lose weight back then was Low Carbo(I dont know if that was the best ???)The best is to clean junk out and eat every two hours small meals.To Gain Weight I would Really Pile in food!!! ::)Used to  eat half Gallon of Butter Peacan Ice Cream before Bed!!!I DONT RECOMMEND!!!!!! ::) ::) For training non competitive deadlift,Get a training manuel and follow proper forum.Start out with sets of 10 paying attention to proper form.Best is to get a knowelegable trainer.It hard to advise without seeing the person.

vince anello

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 10:34:23 AM »
Hell yea!the lovable losers ;D.cavs are gonna do it this year.followed by the tribe...the browns not so much :-\.anyways nice of you to join Getbig and answer questions.hope you stick around.I would say your one of the best deadlifter's in history.there's a friend of mine from central Ohio that held the record in his weight class for a while Jackie Baltimore.ever heard of him?

What Federation was Jackie in?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 11:49:20 AM »
What Federation was Jackie in?

I'm not sure..there is a bench meet in Newark Ohio this saturday feb 21st.he will be competing there.I'll ask him then.once again great to have you...

DAWG