Author Topic: Joaquin Phoenix On Letterman Last Night  (Read 11877 times)

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
Joaquin Phoenix On Letterman Last Night
« on: February 12, 2009, 06:15:06 AM »
Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman: Real or hoax, that was good TV

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/joaquin-phoenix.html

Finally, FINALLY, this "Joaquin Phoenix the eccentric rapper" thing is starting to make sense. It's still impossible to determine whether it's serious or a big put-on, but after his appearance on Letterman last night, at least it's become entertaining. Walking out in a suit, shades, and the full hobo beard, Phoenix sat with Dave for about 10 minutes, chewing on a piece of gum and stumbling and fidgeting his way through an interview in which he failed to have more than two-word answers to the most basic of questions. Phoenix seemed genuinely befuddled that Dave asks about his beard, his decision to leave acting, and his latest movie, Two Lovers, and appears actually confused and hurt that Dave, and the crowd, refuse to buy into the insanity of it all. It's humorous at first, and the audience laughs (nervously, at times) every step of the way, prompting Phoenix -- again, surprised that he's being taken as a joke -- to ask Dave of his audience, "What do you gas them up with?"

In the beginning, it seems Dave -- certainly no stranger to the put-on game -- must be in on it. But by the end, the routine takes on an air of brilliant squirm-inducing Andy Kaufman as Phoenix is no longer just confused but angry that he is being asked all these questions (on a late-night talk show, mind you) and being made fun of when he barely answers. Dave will have none of it, finally shooting out, "Yeah, I'll come to your house and chew gun." So Phoenix slaps the wad under Dave's desk just before they kick out to a clip the actor-rapper refused to set up. At the end, Dave quips, "Joaquin, I'm sorry you couldn't be here tonight."

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: Joaquin Phoenix On Letterman Last Night
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:18:42 AM »
Letterman is a dick, messing with the dude when he is high. >:(
A

Charfman84

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 06:23:18 AM »
jim morrison wannabe,  dave I mean

spinnis

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 06:24:01 AM »
I think the dude is 100% serious.

Going down the same path as his brother.

Charfman84

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:26:35 AM »
Finally someone who needs to die more than Artie Lange

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 06:28:44 AM »
Letterman is a dick, messing with the dude when he is high. >:(

lol.........I hope Phoenix regained his Head. I would hate to see him ended up in the same path as his late younger Brother. they said his Brother's lost had a monster impact on him. but again, he's a great Actor and soon enough, he'll leave Rap alone and come back to his true Art.
Get Big, or Die Trying

Charfman84

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 06:32:49 AM »
His true Art?  What is that, eccentric douchebaggery?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 06:34:05 AM »
Letterman owned that doofus.  Stupid "artist" taking himself waaaaay too seriously.  He's a very good actor, but give me a break.

Rumors are that it was a work to help promote the reality movie that Casey Affleck is doing about him.  Kinda like Andy Kaufman.

spinnis

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 06:35:22 AM »
Letterman owned that doofus.  Stupid "artist" taking himself waaaaay too seriously.  He's a very good actor, but give me a break.

Rumors are that it was a work to help promote the reality movie that Casey Affleck is doing about him.  Kinda like Andy Kaufman.

Dead within the year.

But the movie rumors is true, its amazing.

Joaquin is not just good, he is an AMAZING actor.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 06:44:39 AM »
Dead within the year.

But the movie rumors is true, its amazing.

I think he's good too, but only two roles worth mentioning...Walk the Line  and Gladiator.  He has a long way to go, but will probably flame out like his idiot druggie brother.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 06:49:14 AM »
Wheter he's a good actor or really that fucked up. :D

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:49:55 AM »
Dave lost much credibility when he started using his show to voice his political views in this last election. That's why the Chin Man (Leno) is kicking his ass in the ratings...

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 06:51:23 AM »
Some interesting tidbits from his Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joaquin_Phoenix

Joaquin Rafael Phoenix, born October 28, 1974, formerly credited as Leaf Phoenix, is a Puerto Rican film actor and musician. Born in Puerto Rico and raised in the continental United States, he is from a family of performers, including his older brother, late actor River Phoenix.

On October 27, 2008, he announced his retirement from film in order to focus on his music career. Joaquin Pheonix made his rap debut in mid-January, rumors circulated that it was an elaborate hoax, to which Joaquin stated "This is not a joke. Might I be ridiculous? Might my career in music be laughable? Yeah, that's possible, but that's certainly not my intention.".
Phoenix will be the subject of a documentary directed by his friend and brother-in-law Casey Affleck; the documentary will follow him as he begins his musical career. Filming begins in early 2009.

Phoenix was born Joaquin Rafael Bottom in Río Piedras, located in the city of San Juan, Puerto Rico. He is the third of five children, including the late River (1970 – 1993), Rain (1972), Liberty (1976), and Summer (1978). He also has a half-sister named Jodean, from his father's first marriage.

In order to provide food and financial support for the family, the Phoenix children performed on the streets and at various talent contests, singing and playing instruments. In Los Angeles his mother started working as a secretary for NBC, and his father worked as a landscaper. Joaquin and his siblings were eventually discovered by one of Hollywood's leading children's agents, Iris Burton, who got the five children acting work, mainly doing commercials and television show appearances. Phoenix went on to establish himself a child actor before deciding to withdraw from acting for a while and travel to Mexico and South America with his father.

Phoenix came back into public view under tragic circumstances: on October 31, 1993, his brother, River Phoenix, suffered a fatal drug overdose and died, outside the famed Hollywood nightclub The Viper Room, which was owned by Johnny Depp.  Joaquin's call to 911 to save his brother was recorded and repeatedly played over the airwaves and on television. The sudden media intrusion into his life proved to be too overwhelming; once again, he retreated from the public eye. A year later, at the insistence of his friends, Joaquin reluctantly re-entered the world of acting.

On January, 26 2006, Phoenix was in a car accident on a winding canyon road that flipped his car over. The crash reportedly was caused by brake failure. Shaken and confused, Phoenix heard a tapping on his window and a voice say, "Just relax". Unable to see the man, Phoenix replied, "I'm fine. I am relaxed". The man replied, 'No, you're not'. At this point, Phoenix managed to see that the man was famed, eccentric German auteur Werner Herzog. After helping Phoenix out of the wreckage, Herzog phoned in an ambulance and vanished.
   ???

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 06:53:24 AM »
Yes, he is truly talented, but - WTF! - you are never, ever gonna get the better of Dave. So many have tried and no one succeeds. What was he thinking!? Anyone remember Crispin Glover trying this shit?

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 06:55:56 AM »
the only thing i wish is that Crispin Glover would have not letterman on his ass,
A

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 07:05:34 AM »
"See a bearded Joaquin Phoenix rap, then fall off stage!!"

;D

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 07:07:23 AM »

;D

not bad, add some autotune and it's a gold record ;D
A

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »

;D

hahah, this HAS to be an Andy Kaufmann type thing.  No doubt about it now. hahahah 

robins

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »
The guy has obiously some drugissue's. Quite sad, but verry common on "celebrity's".

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 07:22:49 AM »
 A lot of that is put on. It's actually pretty good. JP is lucid when he wants to be.

He is letting Letterman do his thing; he's setting them up and DL is knocking them down.
O

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »
Too much of a 'conditioned response' from the audience. Joaquin obviously made a mistake in treating it like a serious interview, unless he had been smoking something just before. Can't blame him given the audience were just laughing like dumbasses when there wasn't anything to laugh at, at least in the beginning. Still, Letterman's the man!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 08:39:29 AM »
phoenix didn't take the interview seriously.

although the handshake did seem hostile to begin with.  perhaps letterman's staff told him the guy was spaced out, and he decided to have some fun.  DL seems to have a really big interview or 3 like this each year.  He saw a chance and took it. 

bigtraps

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 08:43:46 AM »
What a TOOL!

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 08:51:31 AM »
phoenix didn't take the interview seriously.

You don't think? Not saying he treated it like a formal press interview, but a guest like him would know what the deal is with a show like DL's. And rather than play along or even let DL lead him on, he just stayed serious and acted surprised nearly every time the audience laughed. Unless he was that way due to some drug cocktail he'd taken beforehand.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 08:52:01 AM »
Act or not, Joaquin Phoenix was funny. Especially when he disrespected Dave and put his gum under his desk!  :D