Author Topic: Opinions on OFFSEASON Cardio  (Read 2018 times)

Balloon

• Getbig III
Opinions on OFFSEASON Cardio
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:45:25 AM »
For guys with slower metabolisms,
what's the best type of cardio to do while bulking,

How long each session, and number of times per week.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Re: Opinions on OFFSEASON Cardio
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »
every morning when you wake up, make it a habit to do some light cardio before you do anything else. i have two stationary biikes in my backroom, aong with a tv/dvdplayer/ps3  radio/cdplayer and a stakc of magazines.    if your not as spoiled as i am, just go outside and take a walk....make sure if its cold that you bundle up... because if your uncomfortable you wont stick to it.

Balloon

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »
every morning when you wake up, make it a habit to do some light cardio before you do anything else. i have two stationary biikes in my backroom, aong with a tv/dvdplayer/ps3  radio/cdplayer and a stakc of magazines.    if your not as spoiled as i am, just go outside and take a walk....make sure if its cold that you bundle up... because if your uncomfortable you wont stick to it.

I am after something a bit more intense.

I do a fair amount of walking during the day anyway.

Would some sort sprints/HIIT work?

I just wanna try jack up my metabolism

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:23:07 AM »
youll jack up your  metabolism by trainig hard and building up muscle tissue

high intensity cardio will slow down muscle gains. probably by quite a bit.

however if you insist on hit cardio then do a gogle on layne norton hit cardio and follow whatever he says.. i know hes an advocate of it and id listen to him b4 anyone else

toe2toe

• Getbig II
  • AIN'T FOUND A WAY TO KILL ME YET
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 10:36:27 AM »
i do a stairmaster for 20 mins after i drink my postworkout shake.  i haven't felt overtrained and my problem areas (lower stomach and chest) have tightened significantly in only 2 weeks.  This wouldnt interfere with my recovery would it?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:38:39 AM »
i do a stairmaster for 20 mins after i drink my postworkout shake.  i haven't felt overtrained and my problem areas (lower stomach and chest) have tightened significantly in only 2 weeks.  This wouldnt interfere with my recovery would it?
thats cool. personally id probably wait to drink the shake untill after the cardio. but thats just me...and if what your doing is working then just keep on doing what your doing.

toe2toe

• Getbig II
  • AIN'T FOUND A WAY TO KILL ME YET
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »
i feel so drained after i lift it seems to give me a pickup and a second wind if u will.  maybe i should wait tho and i would see better results.  i've always read that as long as you consume protein 30-60 mins after lifting then you will still reap the benefits....

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »

high intensity cardio will slow down muscle gains. probably by quite a bit. however if you insist on hit cardio then do a gogle on layne norton hit cardio and follow whatever he says.. i know hes an advocate of it and id listen to him b4 anyone else

I sure hope your not talking about HIIT.

mustangtuningemail

• Getbig I
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:43:35 PM »
I am not a pro by any means, but it seems to me that I get better gains when I alternate weight lifting days with running days. I normally set a distance or calorie goal. Normally 2-3 miles or 400-600 calories, 30-50 mins using a treadmill or elipitcal.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 06:28:31 AM »
My metabloism is way too fast to be doing cardio in the offseason. I think Chris Aceto used to say avoid doing cardio in the offseason too.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 11:10:35 AM »
My metabloism is way too fast to be doing cardio in the offseason. I think Chris Aceto used to say avoid doing cardio in the offseason too.
i think anyone should be fine with cardio in the offseason, as logn its done properly.... this running/jogging/high incline/ high intensity interval/heartpumping hevay breathng cardio....no no no... not for bodybuilding... cardio for the bodybuilder is like taking a nice slow walk aorund the neighborhood to relax...no sweating no breathin no nothin...

Christopher Belinksky

• Getbig III
  • The Coach loves sticky studs!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 05:52:31 PM »

high intensity cardio will slow down muscle gains. probably by quite a bit.

however if you insist on hit cardio then do a gogle on layne norton hit cardio and follow whatever he says.. i know hes an advocate of it and id listen to him b4 anyone else

don't mean to rain on your parade but but a pound of muscle only burns 7 calories a day.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »
don't mean to rain on your parade but but a pound of muscle only burns 7 calories a day.

thats debateable as experts dont widely agree on one set value.... and it does slighltly vary from person t person... as well as glycogen content of muscle to muscle... plus  its more ocmplicated than just basal metabolic rate, it also has to do with insulin sensitivity glycogen capacity the energy costs of the constant protein turnover occuring in the muscle ...etc etc etc...