Author Topic: The Porkulus Bill Passed  (Read 5116 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: The Porkulus Bill Passed
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 08:15:59 AM »

Well, we had 8 years of chaos from the previous administration....its going to take something to get things back going.

And I don't know where you got 6 Trillion from.  I believe the stimulus package was for 753 billion.  In any event, sales have been down lately for my business and this will certainly help put things back up

how will it bring things up for you?  I can't see how in this bill.  and good call on the 6 trillion, I don't know where coach got that from, probably Rush.

No offense Joe...

Awesomo

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 08:19:17 AM »
This is the largest spending bill in the history of the U.S. it is over 1,000 pages long and the house got the final bill about 10 hours before it was time to vote. Obama and the libs are going trying to push this through so fast because they know it will be exposed more and more for the pork and it will continue to get more unpopular with the American people than it already is. I mean you would think we could take a week to discuss the biggest spending bill ever. I don't blame Obama, but he was stupid for letting that fucking idiot pelosi craft the bill, I personally think he would have written a much better bill himself.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 08:57:37 AM »
This is bill should truely alarm us.  Passed under the guise of an emergency economic package, it is full of non-economic projects that will significantly increase our already insane national debt.  Not only were many doubting the effectiveness of this plan but our yearly interest as proportion of Gross Domestic product is humungous.  Many here criticized Bush's spending as irresponsible (and i agree as he fell away from true constitutional conservatism) and this is more of the same.  I think Obama's intentions are right but Pelosi and other dem leaders shoved down a very unfair bill and lied to the people.  Guys, this bill moves us under more gov control, which the founding fathers warned against.

The argument that Bush spent irresponsibly too is very short sided, don't use 1 wrong to justify the next.  Gov abuse of our tax money must stop, but it certainly won't under this administration.  Gov is too bloated and inefficient, this is traveling farther down that trend.  put party aside and ask if we really want a bigger, more controlling gov that takes more money and freedom from us!

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2009, 09:06:21 AM »
This bill should have had only:
-extended unemployment and health benefits
-reduction of payroll tax for all working Americans (not to illegals as could happen with removing the e check provision)
-reduction of capital gains tax to help all businesses
-tax credits for all people buying homes and cars in 2009
-$ towards infrastructure spending.
-some green/energy projects, including expanding nuclear energy...which we see the dems are obviously opposed to cause that is the most efficient clean energy we can create with existing technology.

All the rest is Pelosi's irresponsible pet projects.  She is a plague to America.  Obama would be much better off with het gone.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
This bill should have had only:
-extended unemployment and health benefits
-reduction of payroll tax for all working Americans (not to illegals as could happen with removing the e check provision)
-reduction of capital gains tax to help all businesses
-tax credits for all people buying homes and cars in 2009
-$ towards infrastructure spending.
-some green/energy projects, including expanding nuclear energy...which we see the dems are obviously opposed to cause that is the most efficient clean energy we can create with existing technology.

All the rest is Pelosi's irresponsible pet projects.  She is a plague to America.  Obama would be much better off with het gone.
The problem is that the Spending Bill is not big enough.  It needs to be bigger as the Recent NOBEL PRIZE WINNER in Economics eloquently states here:

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2009, 09:13:49 AM »
where did we get the 6 trillion number?

if you're multiplying the 800 billion by, um, 7.5, to account for interest (?) ... then we should do that with the pricetag of the war in iraq too.  

This bill is needed, but there is a lot of crap in it for local districts.  The good news is that while some of the pork is silly, most of it will create jobs.  Even investing 30million in researching some idiot rats in california will mean hundreds of new construction, admin, and research jobs in that starving state.

Jobs is the name of the game.  Most getbiggers work fun schedules and make good livings (hence the internet connection and the time to debate these things).  But outside of this place, there are a LOT of unemployed people.  This bill will create between 3 and 4 million jobs.  So, you'll have 3 or 4 million more ppl spending $ again, which is good for us all.

This *it's all about me* mentality is fine, until we reach 25% unemployment rate and suddenly you have 20 vagrants per night knocking on your door, going thru your trash, breaking into your car to sleep, etc.  Won't be long til they're sticking a steak knife in your belly at the gas station for a few bucks for food.  

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 10:49:26 AM »
how will it bring things up for you?  I can't see how in this bill.  and good call on the 6 trillion, I don't know where coach got that from, probably Rush.

No offense Joe...

While I'm selling a lot of home exercise equipment, my commerical equipment sales are pretty slim because no-one is opening up any new training studios and gyms are not updating or adding new equipment because of the economy and that's after I dropped all of the commerical equipment down to "Street Prices" (Well below MSRP).

The stimulus bill will certainly help establish new small businesses and if the banks ease up on loans, then they'll have the means to purchase that equipment for their studios and gyms.

BTW, Coach....Please stop spamming the boards with your forum links
A

ag2

• Getbig III
  • President of the Peanut gallery.
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »
This is not good, congress had 48hrs to read this bill (over 500 pages) and not one person read the entire bill including Obama, they are just ramming this down our throats with no one knowing hardly anything about it  >:(

http://momentumperform.proboards58.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=generaldiscuss&thread=61

kind reminds me of your hero Bush's patriot act  ;D

ag2

• Getbig III
  • President of the Peanut gallery.
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 12:23:26 PM »
Coach if you think Bush was good for the country then give your head a shake it was the republicans that got the USA into this mess so now the country wants a change, I bet you think Sarah Palin was smart  ::)   which would make you and your right wing cronies morons. Go cry yourself to sleep knowing that the days of white old selfish men being in power are over.

jetpower

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 12:28:56 PM »
Coach if you think Bush was good for the country then give your head a shake it was the republicans that got the USA into this mess so now the country wants a change, I bet you think Sarah Palin was smart  ::)   which would make you and your right wing cronies morons. Go cry yourself to sleep knowing that the days of white old selfish men being in power are over.
Blame aside, I've got to find a good place to move now that the US is fkked.

I'm a GetBigger, so have nearly unlimited funds. I need to protect them from the unclean -- cost is no issue. Where have you all moved to preserve your cash? New Zeland sounds nice. No?

jesusbod

• Getbig IV
  • Bite Me!
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 12:53:58 PM »
double fixed

ten and under is spelled out and President Obama will be a two term president.....Mark my words ;)

Sorry Wiggs, I usually agree with you on most things but this one I have to disagree, it will be so bad in the next 4 years, people will be begging to get a new administration. It will be Newt and Jindal on the Ticket... One two punch..

Obama will run again, but he will not run with Foot in Mouth Biden next election. That in itself is a reason for the Democrats to worry.

The Coach

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »
The problem is that the Spending Bill is not big enough.  It needs to be bigger as the Recent NOBEL PRIZE WINNER in Economics eloquently states here:

Hey Adam, you do realize that Nobel Prize Winners are voting in by mostly liberals don't you? Doesn't really mean shit, look at AlGore, he's got head completely up his ass.

The Coach

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »
I question the willingness of most people to even read.  It is too bad as that is a great article.

Here is a short video on derivatives for the stupids.

This artical is better...

Obama's Bank Bailout Plan: Not Ready for Prime Time

http://momentumperform.proboards58.com/index.cgi?board=generaldiscuss&action=display&thread=63

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 12:08:26 AM »
Hey Adam, you do realize that Nobel Prize Winners are voting in by mostly liberals don't you? Doesn't really mean shit, look at AlGore, he's got head completely up his ass.

They're libs.  All of them:

The Nobel laureates are selected by their respective committees. For the Prizes in Physics, Chemistry and Economics, a committee consists of five members elected by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences; for the Prize in Literature, a committee of four to five members of the Swedish Academy; for the Prize in Physiology or Medicine, the committee consists of five members selected by The Nobel Assembly, which consists of 50 members elected by Karolinska Institutet; for the Peace Prize, the Norwegian Nobel Committee consists of five members elected by the Norwegian Storting (the Norwegian parliament).[

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 12:47:20 AM »

Do you realise that Paul Krugman actually deserved his Nobel prize for his work on trade?  He was an extremely talented economist back in the day.  Maybe if you took a moment out of typing the word "lib" repeatedly, you could have come up with a coherent argument that Krugman now fits his economics to agree with his left leaning politics or looked to see that other economics laureates like Gary Becker have said about the fiscal stimulus.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 03:46:08 AM »
This artical is better...

Obama's Bank Bailout Plan: Not Ready for Prime Time

http://momentumperform.proboards58.com/index.cgi?board=generaldiscuss&action=display&thread=63
your idiocy is duly noted

Mons Venus

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 04:30:53 AM »

This is not good, congress had 48hrs to read this bill (over 500 pages) and not one person read the entire bill including Obama, they are just ramming this down our throats with no one knowing hardly anything about it  >:(

Quit complaining hypocrite, you blindly backed Bush! >:(

jason_deluxe

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »
Not a chance in hell, if we're still around in 4 years, I'll bet a months salary.

I'll take that bet Archie Bunker...your salary and a couple bucks should get me a fountain drink at any 7-11!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 06:30:29 AM »
I love how these Republican senators try to stand on their fiscal high ground after running up record deficits.

Out of touch, bitter, old, white men seeing their power slip away from them.

Too bad you can only carry the ignorant vote for so long.

You idiot high school morons dont realize that Obama is going to turn USA into a Nigeria/Zimbabwe like state.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2009, 06:36:12 AM »

Well, we had 8 years of chaos from the previous administration....its going to take something to get things back going.

And I don't know where you got 6 Trillion from.  I believe the stimulus package was for 753 billion.  In any event, sales have been down lately for my business and this will certainly help put things back up

Oh please.  People are going to have $13 a week more while hundreds of thousands are laid off.  How does that help you.

Additionally, two wrongs dont make a right.  GWB screwed up, yes, but that does not give licesnce for Obama to make an equal and terible disaster himself.

ZERO is the biggest fraud politician to come around a long time.  He promised hope and change.  All he offers is debt slavery, govt spending, and plutocracy.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 06:41:29 AM »
double fixed

ten and under is spelled out and President Obama will be a two term president.....Mark my words ;)

How is being racist working out for you?

Mons Venus

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »

Tool! :-*

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 09:55:05 AM »
Obama's Stimulus: A Documented Failure
 Townhall.com ^ | May 9, 2012 | Terry Jeffrey

What does President Barack Obama know about the economy and what the government can and cannot do to create jobs?

A fair measure is the economic stimulus plan Obama pushed through Congress in his first month in office. Did it work?

On Jan. 9, 2009, less than two weeks before Obama's inauguration, Christina Romer, who would chair Obama's Council of Economic Advisers, and Jared Bernstein, an adviser to Vice President-elect Joe Biden, published the incoming administration's analysis of the "job impact" they expected from Obama's stimulus.

At the time, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the national seasonally adjusted unemployment rate was 7.8 percent. In their analysis, Romer and Bernstein said that if Congress approved Obama's plan, unemployment would not rise above 8.0 percent -- and they published a chart predicting it would drop below 6.0 percent sometime in 2012.

Well, Congress approved Obama's stimulus plan (which the Congressional Budget Office estimates cost $831 billion), and we are now in the second quarter of 2012. What has happened to unemployment?

In February 2009, when Obama signed the stimulus, unemployment spiked to 8.3 percent. Since then, it has never dropped below 8.0 percent.

We are now into the second quarter of 2012, the year Romer and Bernstein predicted unemployment would be drop below 6 percent. It now stands at 8.1 percent.

A standard line in President Obama's current stump speech attacks those who advocate "we go right back to the policies that created this mess." The president's implication is that the economic situation in America today, insofar as it has been caused by government policies, has not been caused by his government's policies.

But, in reality, Obama is implicitly admitting his economic policies have failed.

After all, three years ago Obama's top economic adviser told the country that if Congress approved Obama's plan unemployment would never top 8 percent and would drop below 6 percent this year. It did top 8 percent. It is nowhere near 6 percent today.

Obama's blaming the sad state of our economy on someone else's policies is not only an implicit admission of failure but an attempt to deflect debate from his failure.

Lawrence Lindsey, who served as economic adviser to President George W. Bush, argued in a Weekly Standard essay last year that the proposition made by Obama's stimulus was absurd on it face.

"Everyone except flacks for the White House knows that the 2009 stimulus package failed miserably to produce the promised results," Lindsey wrote. "But even if you buy the White House's argument that the $800 billion package created 3 million jobs, that works out to $266,000 per job. Taxing or borrowing $266,000 from the private sector to create a single job is simply not a cost effective way of putting America back to work. The long-term debt burden of that $266,000 swamps any benefit that the single job created might provide."

As time passes, the math on Obama's stimulus plan gets worse -- even if you accept the most optimistic analysis of how many jobs it has created.

In February, the Congressional Budget Office published its latest report on the "estimated impact" of the stimulus. Although it had originally estimated the stimulus would cost $787 billion, CBO now says it will cost $831 billion.

In the second quarter of 2012, CBO estimates, somewhere between 200,000 to 1.2 million people have jobs they otherwise would not have were it not for the stimulus. Assuming, optimistically, that the number is 1.2 million, that means each of those jobs cost taxpayers $692,500.

As time goes on, the maximum number of jobs sustained by Obama's stimulus will decline rapidly. By the first quarter of 2013, it will sustain between 100,000 and 600,000 jobs, says CBO. If it is 600,000, each of those jobs will have cost taxpayers $1,385,000. By the fourth quarter of 2013, the maximum number of jobs it sustains will be 400,000 -- at a cost to taxpayers of $2,077,500 per job.

It is true that Obama entered office in the midst of a deep recession. But, according to the National Bureau of Economic Research, that recession ended in June 2009, almost three years ago. Since then, America has been in a "growth" cycle, but a pathetic one. Real gross domestic product growth peaked at 3.9 percent in the first quarter of 2010, and Obama is now in real danger of being the first U.S. president since World War II not to see at least one quarter of economic growth at 4 percent or higher in a first term.

As times passes, the number of jobs that can be attributed to Obama's stimulus will dwindle to none. In the long run, of course, we will all be dead. But Obama will have one lasting legacy: Our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be paying the interest on the money he borrowed to keep unemployment from rising above 8 percent.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »
Federal 'Stimulus' Spent $8.5 Million For 11 Wind Energy Jobs
 Michigan Capitol Confidential ^ | 5/10/2012 | Anne Schieber

Posted on Friday, May 11, 2012 4:12:13 PM by MichCapCon

If jobs are any measure, 14 Michigan "green" companies that were awarded $34.5 million in taxpayer funded grants and loans aren't generating much heat.

According to the Michigan Economic Development Corp., the companies have reported a total of 183 jobs. While a final report will not be issued until June, calls and emails to the companies indicate the total number will not be much higher.

The state awarded the grants and loans in 2009 and 2010 under its Clean Energy Advanced Manufacturing Program. The money came from federal stimulus funding under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. The federal government handed out a total of $3.1 billion for state energy programs, of which Michigan got $82 million.

One company, Astraeus Wind Energy Inc. of Eaton Rapids, got a $7 million grant and a loan of $1.54 million and has created 11 jobs. If no other workers are hired, those jobs were created at a cost of $776,364 each.

Astraeus co-founder Roger Cope also defends the program, saying he believes the program gives the state its only opportunity for energy independence and that without government subsidies the alternative energy business has an extremely hard time getting off the ground...

(Excerpt) Read more at michigancapitolconfident ial.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »
Canadian firm will receive up to 50 million stimulus dollars for NV solar plant with two employees
 Nevada Journal ^ | May 10, 2012 | Kyle Gillis

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 2:31:35 PM by NevadaPolicyResearchInst itute

LAS VEGAS — The company behind the recently opened Silver State North solar plant is eligible to receive up to $50 million in federal tax credits under the Obama administration’s “stimulus” legislation, even though the plant created only two full-time jobs.

According to a Department of Interior memo, Enbridge Energy Partners, a Canadian-based company with extensive energy holdings in the U.S. that purchased the Southern Nevada plant from Arizona-based First Solar, “can apply for payments of up to 30 percent of the eligible costs of the project — approximately $50 million.”

The payments are available through the 1603 Program, a special exemption in the Treasury Department created by the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act to “reimburse eligible applicants for a portion of the cost of installing specified energy property used in a trade or business or for the production of income.”

The program states that the “1603 payment is made after the energy property is placed in service; a 1603 payment is not made prior to or during construction of the energy property.”

Silver State North began service on Monday, May 7. Larry Springer, a community relations manager at Enbridge, confirmed to Nevada Journal the company intends to file a 1603 application for reimbursement.

As of March 2012, over 34,000 renewable-energy projects across the country have received $11.2 billion in taxpayer funds through the ARRA-funded program. In Nevada, 108 projects have received $147.1 million.

The Department of Energy estimates 5,500 full-time jobs were created by the program, meaning each job cost taxpayers approximately $2,036,363.

(Excerpt) Read more at nevadajournal.com ...