Author Topic: Review of Layne Norton's "Unleashed!" DVD  (Read 19015 times)

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Review of Layne Norton's "Unleashed!" DVD
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »
Layne Norton - “Unleashed”
http://www.biolayne.com/

I find myself torn between wanting to review this DVD from a videographer’s point of view and as a fan of bodybuilding. “Unleashed” excels on both counts!

As a videographer I can really appreciate the skill with which Unleashed is put together. Though highly polished and professional, make no mistake, this isn’t a film and makes no attempt to feel like a “movie”. Rather , “Unleashed” is a great example of what I would call a high-energy video style.

Quick zooms, active hand-held camera work and quick cutting all add up to give this DVD a very edgy, modern feel. (Think LOST, with muscles!) Gym footage is crisp and well lit. Interviews are nicely composed. Music is used tastefully and Layne’s voice is clear, whether in interview or live in the gym. In short, this is a top notch production by Paul Glinski and Proedit.

Layne is a natural, in more ways than one. Not only is he a drug-free IFPA and NGA pro bodybuilder, but he is also very comfortable and eloquent in front of the camera. Layne sure walks the walk, that is evident from his physique as seen in the gym and in contest footage winning the NGA Heart of America competition in 2006. But he also can talk the talk.

And talk he does!! There is so much good information about nutrition and training on this DVD that many aspiring bodybuilders may wear out the reverse button on their remote controls! “What did he just say?? I gotta write that down!”

The 35 minute minute main feature is packed with great footage and information. Watching this it quickly becomes apparent that Layne knows his stuff. He’s a graduate student studying muscle protein metabolism, so when Layne talks nutrition, I listen!

Layne’s ideas about training are as in-depth and innovative as his nutrition advice. The gym footage is intense and inspiring all the while infused with Layne’s intelligent commentary. Anyone looking to create a program of diet and exercise to build massive muscles would benefit from owning this DVD and watching it over and over. It’s like a video textbook on the current state of bodybuilding knowledge!

The only shortcoming I found with Unleashed was that even though there was a lot of good scientific information, there wasn’t much of a story. Then I clicked on the bonus features and found something called “Layne vs Nick Katrichis”, a great piece about the rivalry between Norton and a good friend as they train for the same contest. This engaging short video has the same level of expertise as main feature and could easily be on ESPN.

It was very satisfying for me to see Layne more relaxed in a video that had a bit of a story to it. Maybe in future DVDs we can get even more of a day-in-the-life view of Layne’s world and see first hand what it takes to devote oneself to natural bodybuilding and how it affects one’s life.

The Bonus features contain a lot of “unedited” workout footage for those who want a more relaxed peek into Layne’s training style and philosophy. Yet even this footage is not truly “unedited” and it moves along nicely. A few deleted scenes, including a sometimes funny extended interview at a diner, round out this excellent DVD.

Layne is a smart and personable guy with a lot of information to impart. Unleashed presents Layne in an entertaining way but never wanders far from the business at hand, good solid bodybuilding information.

Watch the teaser...

Unleashed is available from Layne’s website here...

http://www.scivation.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=53

Mike Pulcinella
February 17, 2008

Mike Pulcinella is a videographer/digital editor living in Pennsylvania and the creator of the Raising the Bar bodybuilding documentary series.
http://www.mikepulcinella.com/portfolio.htm

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
Re: Review of Layne Norton's "Unleashed!" DVD
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:17:34 AM »
Nobody has the combination of:

1) Worth Ethic
2) Smart training
3) Decipline dieting
4) Intensity level
5) Drug free status

as Layne Norton.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:18:54 AM »
I'm sure I remember a thread about Layne using Superdrol. Don't think he denied it.
O

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:19:51 AM »
its always more interesting to me to see a natural train for maximum results than some juiced up freak who grow just by looking at weights.

body88

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »
its always more interesting to me to see a natural train for maximum results than some juiced up freak who grow just by looking at weights.

Agreed, all these pros think they are genetic gods who grow from anything.  lets see them ditch the sauce and compete naturally.  Drugs give you a huge edge, and anyone who claims they are a finishing tough is full of shit up to their eyeballs.

Hmm. I wonder how raising your test levels 1000% could aid in muscle growth  ::)

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »

Very True

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:25:56 AM »
Agreed, all these pros think they are genetic gods who grow from anything.  lets see them ditch the sauce and compete naturally.  Drugs give you a huge edge, and anyone who claims they are a finishing tough is full of shit up to their eyeballs.

Hmm. I wonder how raising your test levels 1000% could aid in muscle growth  ::)

yeah its nothing but just a finishing touch. its a night and day difference, the only thing they have on most of us is genetics. as soon as they drop the juice they look like athletic fitness guys.

body88

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:34:28 AM »
yeah its nothing but just a finishing touch. its a night and day difference, the only thing they have on most of us is genetics. as soon as they drop the juice they look like athletic fitness guys.

Agreed.  They do have good genetics and response to the drugs, but when they are off, they are not these muscle building freaks they claim to be that get huge from eating 300 cals a day.  Drugs, honestly, make up about 50% of the game.....maybe more.  In regards to extreme conditition it's all drugs.

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »
Agreed.  They do have good genetics and response to the drugs, but when they are off, they are not these muscle building freaks they claim to be that get huge from eating 300 cals a day.  Drugs, honestly, make up about 50% of the game.....maybe more.  In regards to extreme conditition it's all drugs.

Have you yourself tried drugs and then gone off to prove your 50% theory?

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »
Haha Layne Norton another fucking bullshiter.  And you morons eat it up like candy!  He's not "natural" in any sense of the word!

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »
he does look like a natural.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 10:28:43 AM »
Haha Layne Norton another fucking bullshiter.  And you morons eat it up like candy!  He's not "natural" in any sense of the word!

You don't even lift weights. GO to the gym and try building a natural physique. Work hard for 10 years. Have a perfect diet and disciplined lifestyle...

THEN come back and say Layne isn't natural.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »
he does look like a natural.

thats not a compliment

body88

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 10:43:16 AM »

Me, no, but countless teamates and friends of mine in college and currently, yes.  Also, I would love to see a current pro that could step on stage within 50 lbs of their current contest weight in the same condition without steroids.  Kevin Levrone is a perfect example of a hyper-responder who used drugs and his amazing drug response to turn himself into a monster.  Are you going to try and tell me with a straight face that a guy like Kevin Levrone could compete anywhere near 260 lbs without steroids?  He would be on stage at 190 (if he was lucky) in poor condition (compared to before).  Today, drugs are a huge part of bodybuilding.  The human body was not made to weigh 230 - 280 lbs at under 4% bf....and unless you are very tall it ain't happending without steroids.

The current naturals like j-rod compete at 175 - 190 lbs depending on their height.  230 lb midget pros are called small these days.  There is no fucking way drugs are a finishing touch, lmao.

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
Me, no, but countless teamates and friends of mine in college and currently, yes.  Also, I would love to see a current pro that could step on stage within 50 lbs of their current contest weight in the same condition without steroids.  Kevin Levrone is a perfect example of a hyper-responder who used drugs and his amazing drug response to turn himself into a monster.  Are you going to try and tell me with a straight face that a guy like Kevin Levrone could compete anywhere near 260 lbs without steroids?  He would be on stage at 190 (if he was lucky) in poor condition (compared to before).  Today, drugs are a huge part of bodybuilding.  The human body was not made to weigh 230 - 280 lbs at under 4% bf....and unless you are very tall it ain't happending without steroids.

The current naturals like j-rod compete at 175 - 190 lbs depending on their height.  230 lb midget pros are called small these days.  There is no fucking way drugs are a finishing touch, lmao.

Good anser! Thanks.

There is no way a human being can go 220 miles per hour without a Formula One race car under him. Is that cheating?

Balloon

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »
As much as people take the piss outta layne (including me)

he isn't a bad guy at all. Very helpful

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »
"Think Lost with MUSCLES!"

Gayer than squatting on an AIDS dig because you are stressed out
$

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 12:41:29 PM »
I think Layne is overrated, his physique is good but compared to other naturals out there is no comparison. He's leagues below someone like a Jeff rodriquez.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 12:43:32 PM »
looks like shit
L

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 12:46:01 PM »
he's a strong bastard, you have to give him that and he's done the most he can with his genetics.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 01:01:36 PM »
he's a strong bastard, you have to give him that and he's done the most he can with his genetics.
too bad the 'balls to the walls' type of mentality got him benching more than his pec can hold ...
L

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »

Would love to hear your 'theory' on that one.  As a life-time drug free bodybuilder myself I get a kick out of comments like yours when they are directed at people like Layne.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »
jaejonna dropping Jeru the Damaja like math in this thread.
$

D_1000

• Getbig IV