Author Topic: bentover barbell rows  (Read 5043 times)

mademan80

• Getbig II
bentover barbell rows
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »
do you guys prefer overhand or underhand when doing this excercise? and by doing it different do you notice a difference? some people have one hand over and the other under...i like under...occasionally i do over and dont really notice a difference...anyone have a good video on this movement b/c alot of people have their own way of doing it depending on what works for them i guess

Emmortal

• Getbig V
Re: bentover barbell rows
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:29:08 PM »
I like switching it up.  I'll do overhand with a slightly wide grip to get more of the mid and lower traps and rear delts/upper back for 6-8 weeks then switch it to underhand close (slightly closer than shoulder width) to get more of the lats.  Some people don't like them, but they're a staple in my back routine.

Per Se

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »
do you guys prefer overhand or underhand when doing this excercise? and by doing it different do you notice a difference? some people have one hand over and the other under...i like under...occasionally i do over and dont really notice a difference...anyone have a good video on this movement b/c alot of people have their own way of doing it depending on what works for them i guess

Overhand for me.  I feel I can get a better ROM, and lift heavier with better form.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 05:48:58 PM »
thanx for the input guys...yall ever do one hand under and the other over?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:49:22 PM »
thanx for the input guys...yall ever do one hand under and the other over?

Two different motions. Use over OR under, not switch grip.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 09:57:12 PM »
whats the reason for no switch grip? just wondering

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 05:18:31 AM »
whats the reason for no switch grip? just wondering

I'm guessing the distribution of effort in your back won't be balanced, ie. the side doing the underhand probably gets less involvement as the bicep will take a lot of the strain on that side.
It hasn't helped...

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 05:32:44 AM »
Overhand grip rows for me

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 07:47:31 AM »
you guys think one works better for thickness as opposed the other?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:51:30 AM »
you guys think one works better for thickness as opposed the other?
there's really no difference honestly, whatever version that allows you to use the most weight on with decent form is the one that will build the most thickness.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:51:37 AM »
I do 4 sets. Two underhand and two overhand. I feel the overhand a lot more in the middle and upperback area and the underhand grip more in the lats.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »
I like them both. But in underhand i can contract and feel the lats more than the overhand.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 08:38:38 AM »
Might try curl grip, medium to close, bring the bar into the lower ab area. Seems to affect the  lat's better for a lot of men. Also will hit the biceps more so that the overhand rowing grip.

If doing regular overhand BB rows, try 2 sets of a extra wide grip to the upper chest. 2 medium grip sets to the upper abs and the last 2 sets with a closer grip, bring the bar into the lower abs. Tends to hit the whole of the back more. Including the traps and inter section of the back.If anyone has done a over/under grip for a set of BB rows, you may have discovered how difficult it can be. But if it works for you, than great.

Those 45 degree BB rows (half bent over/half upright row) seem to build quite a few huge and thick backs (including traps and rear delts) among some very large lifters. Either a closer over or under grip is used. Good Luck.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »
it depends on what movement i start my back with,,,,,, if its curl grip pulldowns i'll do over hand bb rows, if its conventional pulldowns or chins i'll go with the curl grip,,, be warey of goin very heavy on the  curl grip, i never go over 50kg a side ...them bicep tendons are vunerable...

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »
thanx fellas...ima give that 6 set routine a try JPM...sounds like a killa to me...seems like it would hit the entire back

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 01:12:02 PM »
overhand i do more frequently the onder hand version is good too hits the lower lats
choice is an illusion

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 02:45:19 PM »
My back workouts always start the same way - pre-exhaust with 3 sets of wide-grip chins followed by three sets of barbell rows with an overhand grip. I then move on to machine pullovers which is an underhand grip. Get the best of both worlds I say.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 03:12:07 PM »
Overhand BB rows and underhand pulldowns.  I did underhand rows when I first started out, and when I start using bentover rows again I might go back to an underhand grip.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »
I don't think either grip hits the lats nearly as good as neutral/palms facing together or slight variations of that. Which is part of why exercises like T-bar and DB rows are better IMO, because they allow that grip. Those exerises are also easier on the lower back and are less exhausting because the back's not holding up the entire weight.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 04:11:31 PM »
i agree that t-bar rows take pretty much all the strain off of your lower back but i feel like i would be cheating myself if i didnt do some good old fashioned rows

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »
i agree that t-bar rows take pretty much all the strain off of your lower back but i feel like i would be cheating myself if i didnt do some good old fashioned rows

As long as they work that's the main thing. My experience is that they're not as effective as other things, and i no longer waste time with them just because they're supposed to be good. DB rows are very similar but more effective and easier on the back as well as less exhausting.

This is the best version of BB row.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
i saw in one video where charles glass was training chris cormier ,who was doing bentover rows on a smith machine lying on a bench kept on 4-5inches of block ,i beleive better contraction and more strict movement.But some amount of cheating such as driving the weight with legs , is it helpful in gaining strength, i normally attempt more weight in my last set where i use my legs for momemtum??

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 04:25:04 PM »
But some amount of cheating such as driving the weight with legs , is it helpful in gaining strength, i normally attempt more weight in my last set where i use my legs for momemtum??

Ya, i have no doubt that especially at the end of the set you should use some cheating, because it's very hard to improve and requires you to do whatever it takes to increase reps and weight. When fatigue takes over and no further strict reps are possible you have to keep going in order to stress the muscle further, by cheating, rest-pause reps, partials, etc..

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 06:08:37 AM »
As long as they work that's the main thing. My experience is that they're not as effective as other things, and i no longer waste time with them just because they're supposed to be good. DB rows are very similar but more effective and easier on the back as well as less exhausting.

This is the best version of BB row.

ive got to dissagree......  ive played around with similar types of movements as this and it feels very unatural, i tend to think part of what makes the bent row such a good movement is the fact that your supporting the weight in a bent position, your working the entire back region... i definatly think the yates version , rowning to the waist is for me personaly the best way to go..

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 08:31:57 AM »
part of what makes the bent row such a good movement is the fact that your supporting the weight in a bent position, your working the entire back region... i definatly think the yates version , rowning to the waist is for me personaly the best way to go..

Actually you're supporting my point with the Yates example-his version was NOT textbook form, he was almost standing up. Thereby removing significant pressure off the back that standard BB rows imbue because of the straight up-and-down pressure. He was doing what i'm talking about,  finding a modification that worked for him and by doing so taking some pressure off the lower back. The angle that this is varies by individual-some find bending over more than usual will do the same thing.

Also, something like T-bar also puts alot of weight on the back and works all of the back, but thanks to the angle it also isn't as harsh on the lower back as standard BB rows-like the Yates rows the angle is different, not straight up-and-down pressure like standard BB rows.

Me i'd rather work both upper and lower back more effectively by splitting them up, just as many BBs now separate cardio and weights rather than trying to get both effects just from lifting.