Author Topic: dumbell rows for thickness?  (Read 5577 times)

mademan80

• Getbig II
dumbell rows for thickness?
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:09:43 PM »
are doing these good for getting thick?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
Re: dumbell rows for thickness?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:29:28 PM »
damn right they are, i've been using this guys technique of trying increase the reps with a heavy weight, i always do them as my first heavy rowing movement followed by bb rows.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »
so do you go as heavy as you can on both? i try to work on form and concentrate on the muscle more with dumbell movements

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:02:36 AM »
so do you go as heavy as you can on both? i try to work on form and concentrate on the muscle more with dumbell movements
yes, i go as heavy as i possibly can with decent form on those, i always focus on both getting a decent stretch at the bottom and a decent contraction at the top but i don't worry about squeezing and pausing and all that other bullshit.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »
Awesome movement. Lots of ways to do them as well. The traditonal knee on the bench, using an incline bench, leaning on the db rack or leaning over and bracing the non working arm against your leg.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:10:38 AM »
ive never realy rated these,,,,,,, much prefer the barbell version and for single arm, hammer rows

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:23:39 AM »
yo mass...of those movements you listed which one do you prefer the most? for me in order would be: db rack,knee on bench,then that other one you listed that i never do

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »
yo mass...of those movements you listed which one do you prefer the most? for me in order would be: db rack,knee on bench,then that other one you listed that i never do
that order. I like to use the db rack as a brace. I can get a better stretch. I never do the freestanding version

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:59:40 AM »
yeah freestanding feels awkward

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 11:12:04 AM »
i do them leaning against the dumbbell rack and i just make sure to get a good stretch at the bottom and good contraction at the top, but i keep constant motion going on all the time. GO HEAVY! next to deadlifts, these are the best back exercise in my opinion

linden

• Getbig II
  • THe Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »
DB rows leaning on the rack is my favorite exercise. i lean forward enough that i am on the balls of my feet great strech

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »
agreed you do get a good stretch doing these...do you guys where straps when doing these style of movements? I find they help me out a lot b/c when i go heavy the skin on my hands starts coming off and the gym i go to just got a bunch of new DBs and straight bars so the grips on them are extra rough

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
hand on the bench is the strictest and hardest, if you can work up to a 150-160 pound bell for sets of 10 or more that's some serious upper back mass you should get.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 01:09:25 PM »
I do "hand on the bench" style........great exercise!!

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 03:07:04 PM »
I switched over to these after a lower back injury.  I like them, but I still feel like I got more from a BB.  I don't bother with the pausing either, when I do that I feel it in my rear delts instead. 

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 03:57:45 PM »
agreed you do get a good stretch doing these...do you guys where straps when doing these style of movements? I find they help me out a lot b/c when i go heavy the skin on my hands starts coming off and the gym i go to just got a bunch of new DBs and straight bars so the grips on them are extra rough

I always wear straps and gloves when training back, helps alot! I start my back wo with deadlifts or this exercise leaning against the db rack.

usually 3 sets going up in weight, reps around 8-14
1. 130
2. 145
3. 160

then on to a wide grip exercise like pulldowns or chins
tank u jesus

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 04:05:17 PM »
DB rows with the back braced, T-bars, etc. are better than BB rows IMO, because they hit the lats better and are alot less harsh on the lower back.

With DB rows not only is the back braced, you can also vary the grip which i think makes a difference-the best grip for most lat exercises IMO is neutral/palms facing together, which can't be done with a BB but can be done with DB or T-bar.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »
damn right they are, i've been using this guys technique of trying increase the reps with a heavy weight, i always do them as my first heavy rowing movement followed by bb rows.

thats some serious grip strength there

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
thats some serious grip strength there
damn right, that's one of the reasons he does them, he's actually done a 225 db for 23 reps and a 300 for 7 if you can believe that. :o

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »
I always wear straps and gloves when training back, helps alot! I start my back wo with deadlifts or this exercise leaning against the db rack.

usually 3 sets going up in weight, reps around 8-14
1. 130
2. 145
3. 160

then on to a wide grip exercise like pulldowns or chins
pretty strong there..

i just do 4 sets using 120's
i use straps too..i got these cool ones with the extra thick padding...

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 03:45:45 AM »
pretty strong there..

i just do 4 sets using 120's
i use straps too..i got these cool ones with the extra thick padding...

i feel this is an exercise to go heavy on, won't get 'excited' otherwise
tank u jesus

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 06:20:43 AM »
I really should be doing more of these - my back thickness is atrocious and I've found that on the rare occasion I do dumbell rows I get an unreal pump in my back. I think I avoid them because I do the old "hand on bench" thingy and it is so fucking uncomfortable that I simply hate doing the exercise and tend to do barbell rows instead. I should be forcing myself to do that shit because I'm convinced they work.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 06:37:30 AM »
I really should be doing more of these - my back thickness is atrocious and I've found that on the rare occasion I do dumbell rows I get an unreal pump in my back. I think I avoid them because I do the old "hand on bench" thingy and it is so fucking uncomfortable that I simply hate doing the exercise and tend to do barbell rows instead. I should be forcing myself to do that shit because I'm convinced they work.
the weird thing about db rows is that they're so tiring, probably because you're doing a set for each arm but for some reason db rows have always made me breathe harder than anything except squats.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 06:40:50 AM »
the weird thing about db rows is that they're so tiring, probably because you're doing a set for each arm but for some reason db rows have always made me breathe harder than anything except squats.

True - I think people underestimate how tough they really can be. Definitely one of if not the hardest unilateral exercises there is.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »

so true.  Dead after doing these.  I think it's bc i can't breath easily during them..