Author Topic: New User getting back in shape  (Read 1679 times)

andy0682

• Getbig I
New User getting back in shape
« on: February 23, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »
Hey all,

been reading these boards and a lot of smart people here so I want to lay out my situatuion and get your feed back.

I have come to the stark realization that staring at a computer monitor for the next 30-40 years is unacceptable.  I have decided I am going to be a cop, but I want to get back in shape.

I am 6'2 and weigh 250...yes I a fat fu(k, I know.  Wasn't always like this, I used to be in very good shape.

I want to get down to 195-200 at least.

I'm currently sticking to 5-6 small meals a day,

Usually Fiberone Cereal in the morning
A pure Proten Bar around 11ish
Lunch around 1 ( Chicken, Tuna etc..)
Protien bar around 3ish
A protien shake after the gym around 7pm
then a dinner at 8pm

I am trying to stay under 70 carbs per day and take in about 200-250 grams of protien per day on a 1500-1700 calorie diet

When I hit the gym I usually have a schedule of
Mon- Chest/Shoulders  end with 15 min of running
Tues- Arms/Back-  15 min of Bike
Wed- Abs/legs-   15 min of stair master or elypitical
Thurs & Fri-  Cardio- Usually run for 30 min
Weekends off

Every night I am also walking a mile and a half around a path with my wife and son in his stroller, usually do it after the gym as a cool down.

Supplements I am taking are

D4 Thermal Shock for weight loss
Iso Pure- protien shake
Pure Protien Protien bars (smores..sooooo good)
and after dinners I usually have one omega 3 fish oil pill

Taking a multivitamin everyday in the morning as well and trying to drink 5-6 bottles of water a day and usually a glass of crystal lite ice tea with dinner.

Any suggestions on workout routines, or supplements or better dieting that can help me out?

I feel like I am on the right path but always up from advice from people more knowledgable on the subject.

Thanks!

Andrew

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
Re: New User getting back in shape
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:05:01 PM »
Hey all,

been reading these boards and a lot of smart people here so I want to lay out my situatuion and get your feed back.

I have come to the stark realization that staring at a computer monitor for the next 30-40 years is unacceptable.  I have decided I am going to be a cop, but I want to get back in shape.

I am 6'2 and weigh 250...yes I a fat fu(k, I know.  Wasn't always like this, I used to be in very good shape.

I want to get down to 195-200 at least.

I'm currently sticking to 5-6 small meals a day,

Usually Fiberone Cereal in the morning
A pure Proten Bar around 11ish
Lunch around 1 ( Chicken, Tuna etc..)
Protien bar around 3ish
A protien shake after the gym around 7pm
then a dinner at 8pm

I am trying to stay under 70 carbs per day and take in about 200-250 grams of protien per day on a 1500-1700 calorie diet

When I hit the gym I usually have a schedule of
Mon- Chest/Shoulders  end with 15 min of running
Tues- Arms/Back-  15 min of Bike
Wed- Abs/legs-   15 min of stair master or elypitical
Thurs & Fri-  Cardio- Usually run for 30 min
Weekends off

Every night I am also walking a mile and a half around a path with my wife and son in his stroller, usually do it after the gym as a cool down.

Supplements I am taking are

D4 Thermal Shock for weight loss
Iso Pure- protien shake
Pure Protien Protien bars (smores..sooooo good)
and after dinners I usually have one omega 3 fish oil pill

Taking a multivitamin everyday in the morning as well and trying to drink 5-6 bottles of water a day and usually a glass of crystal lite ice tea with dinner.

Any suggestions on workout routines, or supplements or better dieting that can help me out?

I feel like I am on the right path but always up from advice from people more knowledgable on the subject.

Thanks!

Andrew

Your diet is a bit vague to give advice on...

Just some points... Swap the cereal for oatmeal and egg whites

Replace the protein bar with a real meal. Most protein bars are glorified snickers bars with protein added

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »
looks good overall im sure u know your body better, just my humble opinion,how about cardio on separate days with more duration??

andy0682

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:41:39 PM »
Your diet is a bit vague to give advice on...

Just some points... Swap the cereal for oatmeal and egg whites

Replace the protein bar with a real meal. Most protein bars are glorified snickers bars with protein added

I looked at the meal replacement bars and they have a lot of carbs which I'm trying to stay away from.  Am I wrong in this thinking?

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:47:56 PM »
I looked at the meal replacement bars and they have a lot of carbs which I'm trying to stay away from.  Am I wrong in this thinking?

Most protein bars have hidden carbs and sugars. You are much better off eating real food. They are just low quality bars usually.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:25:44 PM »
yeah those protein bars try to mask carbs as alcohol.  Buy some cottage cheese, ( non-fat ). cheap tasty and very high in protein. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:30:05 AM »
Forget meal bars, they're a joke. Same for protein shakes unless you're sure they're low on the carbs and not too high on calories.

Change is a bitch, mental or physical. If you're serious about change, get serious.

You need regular cardio-not "once in a while" but rather, on a daily basis. 6 times a week before or after weights. Same thing with abs. Either do long sustained low intensity cardio for 45 minutes a day, or HIT or somewhere in between, but there's got to be some sweat there. Going thru the motions will result in not a lot of difference, you'll be kidding yourself.

Diet it's simple; Atkins plan, available in pocketbook form new for less than $10.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »
Forget meal bars, they're a joke. Same for protein shakes unless you're sure they're low on the carbs and not too high on calories.

Change is a bitch, mental or physical. If you're serious about change, get serious.

You need regular cardio-not "once in a while" but rather, on a daily basis. 6 times a week before or after weights. Same thing with abs. Either do long sustained low intensity cardio for 45 minutes a day, or HIT or somewhere in between, but there's got to be some sweat there. Going thru the motions will result in not a lot of difference, you'll be kidding yourself.

Diet it's simple; Atkins plan, available in pocketbook form new for less than $10.

just wondering pump...should you try to stay away from protein shakes and just eat meals if you can?  someone told me that protein shakes are good b/c the body absorbs it better than food? just curious

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »
just wondering pump...should you try to stay away from protein shakes and just eat meals if you can?  someone told me that protein shakes are good b/c the body absorbs it better than food? just curious

What i meant was that you have to be careful the type of protein shake, ensure that the ingredients of the one chosen are consistent with a good diet. If so it's definitely a good substitute and can be more convenient, easier to use and can be cheaper than food. ;)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
I would drop that crap cereal and eat oatmeal and get you fiber from veggies.  I like cauliflower.  Triple your cardio, that's a no brainer.  And drop the protein bars, only eat those when you are absolutely unable to get real food.  Your routine is not great but ok.  I will help you more later I am 6'2 and a fat fuck also so I understand what will work for you.