Author Topic: Grading the Speeches  (Read 5588 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Grading the Speeches
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »
Obama gets an A for style (as usual) and a D for content.  He doesn't get it:  Big Brother is not the answer to all of our problems.   

I'd give Jindal a C for style and A for content.   He gets it:  Big Brother is not the answer to all of our problems.

I'd love to see Jindal become more of a national figure.     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Grading the Speeches
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:40:43 AM »
Obama gets an A for style (as usual) and a D for content.  He doesn't get it:  Big Brother is not the answer to all of our problems.   

I'd give Jindal a C for style and A for content.   He gets it:  Big Brother is not the answer to all of our problems.

The sad reality of America 2009 is that style is as important as substance if not more.

I did not like what I saw last night. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:43:38 AM »
The sad reality of America 2009 is that style is as important as substance if not more.

Absolutely true.  That's why Obama is president and why someone like Ron Paul will never be president. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:47:05 AM »

big brother?... I was wondering when you inner conspiracy theorist would surface :D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:48:28 AM »
I tried to watch but couldn't.  I know it's irresponsible.  Maybe it was bad Orange Roughy (seriously).
R

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:53:03 AM »
These speeches aren't meant to be a line by line explanation of policy.

Obama hit addressed primary points and concerns (IMO) and addressed the criticism that have been flopping around in the media.

Jindal was horrid on both presentation and content.  

The guy is no doubt smart and does well when talking on his own but he bombed last night

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »
big brother?... I was wondering when you inner conspiracy theorist would surface :D

Hardly.  :)   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »
These speeches aren't meant to be a line by line explanation of policy.

Obama hit addressed primary points and concerns (IMO) and addressed the criticism that have been flopping around in the media.

Jindal was horrid on both presentation and content.  

The guy is no doubt smart and does well when talking on his own but he bombed last night

Go watch the Schiff video I posted and tell me exactly what Schiff got wrong.

Serious, Schiff breaksd is down detail wise.  Tell me specifically where Schiff is wrong in that Obama is going to destroy this economy even worse.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
I tried to watch but couldn't.  I know it's irresponsible.  Maybe it was bad Orange Roughy (seriously).

Not irresponsible at all. 

What is Orange Roughy? 

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 11:02:54 AM »
R

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 11:07:10 AM »
You cannot say Jindal was horrid on content, its just that you don't agree with true conservative philosophy of limited government.  The content was right on in my opinion.  The gov should work for the people to protect us.  We should not be reliant on the gov and its programs.  This is what Obama is setting up.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 11:08:45 AM »
Fish. 

Ah so.  Thanks.  Having a Rolaids moment?   :D  I'm a vegetarian.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 11:10:40 AM »
You cannot say Jindal was horrid on content, its just that you don't agree with true conservative philosophy of limited government.  The content was right on in my opinion.  The gov should work for the people to protect us.  We should not be reliant on the gov and its programs.  This is what Obama is setting up.

Yeah.  Agree.  He was on the money.  Stark contrast with Obama.  It seemed like all Obama talked about was how the government was going spend money on one thing or another . . . and restrict private sector compensation.  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »

maybe I've just forgotten what limited government looks like since no Republican (including Reagan) has ever actually done it.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »
Ah so.  Thanks.  Having a Rolaids moment?   :D  I'm a vegetarian.   :)
Are you vegan?  I thought vegetarians could eat fish?

R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »
Are you vegan?  I thought vegetarians could eat fish?

Quasi-vegan.  There are different definitions of vegetarian.  Some people who only eat chicken and fish call themselves vegetarian.  I don't agree. 

There are ovo-lacto (or lacto-ovo, not sure which is correct), who eat no animal foods, but use dairy (milk, eggs, cheese). 

I've been ovo-lacto for 19 years and gave up eggs and cheese a few years ago after reading The China Study. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 11:51:22 AM »
Quasi-vegan.  There are different definitions of vegetarian.  Some people who only eat chicken and fish call themselves vegetarian.  I don't agree. 

There are ovo-lacto (or lacto-ovo, not sure which is correct), who eat no animal foods, but use dairy (milk, eggs, cheese). 

I've been ovo-lacto for 19 years and gave up eggs and cheese a few years ago after reading The China Study. 

what's a typical day of eating look like?

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 11:53:18 AM »
what's a typical day of eating look like?
x2

I just watched a vid of a worm pulled out of a lady's brain because she ate uncooked pork.  Wonder if I could do the quasi-vegan thing.

(didn't mean to derail the thread)
R

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 12:00:16 PM »
x2

I just watched a vid of a worm pulled out of a lady's brain because she ate uncooked pork.  Wonder if I could do the quasi-vegan thing.

Ewwwww!!!  You just derailed my lunch!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »
x2

No big deal.  I'm sure it will re-rail itself.

Bum - do you eat fish?  Don't they have great fish in Hawaii and sushi too.

Where do you get your protein?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
Typical eating day looks similar to a carnivore, but without the real thing.  Yesterday:

Meal 1:  50 grams of soy protein, 5 g of creatine, orange.  

Meal 2:  Cinnamon Roll oatmeal with raisins, almonds, banana.

Meal 3:  Subway wrap with avocado, veggies, veggie patty (which isn't that good).  

Meal 4:  Tortilla chips with NO guacamole that my brat kids ate.   >:( >:( >:(

Meal 5:  Vegetarian chicken strips and broccoli over rice.  Lots of Tabasco.  Huge salad with tomatoes, bacon bits, kidney beans, and veganese (fake mayo).  Big Pacific Rose apple.  

Today:

Meal 1:  leftovers from yesterday's Meal 5, orange.  

Meal 2:  about to have oatmeal and raisins again . . . .

We use lots of meat substitutes.  Not tofu.  Made out of soybean.  Really good stuff.  There is imitation steak, burgers, chicken, fish, tuna, corn dogs (which I think my kids put in my lunch today), duck, bologna, turkey, etc., etc.  We just substitute the fake stuff anywhere you'd use the real thing.  It has really improved over the years.  

Now I'm really hungry . . . .  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 12:09:34 PM »
x2

Ah trichinosis alive and well I see. 

Years ago a friend of mine returned ground beef to the butcher because it had maggots.  He asked the butcher if it ever happened to him.  Butcher said:  "are you kidding?  I don't eat that stuff."   :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »
No big deal.  I'm sure it will re-rail itself.

Bum - do you eat fish?  Don't they have great fish in Hawaii and sushi too.

Where do you get your protein?

I don't eat fish.  Not the real thing anway.  We have veggie fish every once in a while. 

I take anywhere from 50 to 100 grams of soy a day.  Plus I get plenty from plant sources (high protein veggie meat, beans, nuts, etc.). 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 12:10:49 PM »
you would normally have a meal of chips and guac?

is this just for health reasons or something else.

I would go nuts eating fish and sushi if I lived in Hawaii.

I'm going to go have sushi for lunch here in a few minutes:

http://www.jatbar.com/reviews/Palo_Alto/Hommas_Brown_Rice_Sushi.asp

btw - do you think Jindal is a vegetarian?  He's looks emaciated and he's Indian and many of them are vegetarian

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
No.  I had a craving that my kids ruined.  But they will be making a donation to the Beach Bum Guacamole Fund this weekend, so I'll have a chance to eat it. 

It's purely for health reasons.  My family tree is terrible (cancer, heart disease, etc. all over the place).  I made the connection between diet and disease when a friend of mine had a heart attack.  He didn't smoke or drink.  Lived a pretty clean life.  The doc pretty much turned him into a vegetarian, telling him his heart disease was diet related.  I started doing homework and realized that what the doc said was true.  I wanted to reduce my risk factors.  Easily one of the best things I've ever done.  I rarely get sick (colds, etc.).  I never have stomach problems.  I feel great.  While my dad took medication for his blood pressure and cholesterol, my numbers are normal.  I'm not immune, but I've significantly reduced the risk of getting sick (both short-term and long-term illnesses).  And I didn't really give up anything.  I don't miss the real thing because the substitutes are so good.   

You should read The China Study.  Fascinating book.  A friend of mine was talking my ear off about it and I finally got it.  Some eye opening stuff.