Author Topic: Active Release Therapy - Who has tried it?  (Read 7034 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: Prednisolone & The Getbigger
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 08:47:37 PM »
I've felt invincible forever in the weight room.  i'm so cautious about everything now.  Timid almost. 

Seems you'll come out of that some after a little time goes by.

It may be kind of like how we drive around w/o thinking about it and then when we get in a wreck we feel like we have to be so cautious!  That feeling only lasts a few weeks and then we're back to speeding and running stop signs.
R

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 08:50:37 PM »
i just went thru my supps.  I try to take a few of each, every week but never that disciplined.

I'm looking at Glucosamine Chondrotin MSM (what elderly take for joints)
fish oil
Calcium/mag/zinc
BCAA cpsule
Vit C, E, multi

I'm thinking of just loading up for a few days, letting that shoulder rest 100%, and praying :)  

None of that will help you cure the problem you have, 240 - those supplements will make less than 5% difference. They help your body in the long term and even then, only if you are deficient in the nutrients they provide. Taking more of them if you are already getting enough of them through your diet won't do much.

Check these links out

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/question_of_strength_18

http://www.activerelease.com/

You need some kind of physical therapy like the stuff in the links, as opposed to drugs that will bring the inflammation down, but won't cure the problem behind it. Don't know if they have a practitioner in your area, but if they do, you should consider doing it rather than take the drug. Good luck and don't push the shoulder or go heavy on anything you do, cause they are involved in stabilizing pretty much any movement you can think of.

Oh, and Milos had a severe impingement problem with his shoulders once and got it completely cured using this therapy, which he chose over alternatives such as surgery and drugs. It works.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
I did a 5 day course of prednisolone because my throat swelled up for unknown reason. I felt amazing, and for the first time in years my body didn't hurt when training. Short lived effect obviously.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 05:15:10 AM »
I was on Prednisone (pretty much the same thing as prednisolone) for the last year for my Sarcoidosis.  I am finally off of it.  Although there are a lot of side effects that aren't good, it has been said to be the best medication for the ailment it's prescribed for.

Prednisone and prednisolone are members of the glucocorticoid class of hormones. This means they are steroids but, unlike the anabolic steroids that we hear about regarding sports medicine, these are "catabolic" steroids. Instead of building the body up, they are designed to break down stored resources (fats, sugars and proteins) so that they may be used as fuels in times of stress. Cortisone would be an example of a related hormone with which most people are familiar. Glucocorticoids hormones are produced naturally by the adrenal glands.

We do not use the glucocorticoids for their influences on glucose and protein metabolism; we use them because they are also the most broadly anti-inflammatory medications that we have.  Their uses fit into several groups:

Anti-inflammatory (especially for joint pain and itchy skin)

Immune-suppression (treatment of conditions where the immune system is destructively hyperactive. Higher doses are required to actually suppress the immune system)

Cancer Chemotherapy (especially in the treatment of lymphoma)

Central Nervous System Disorders (usually after trauma or after a disc episode to relieve swelling in the brain or spinal cord)

Shock (steroids seem to help improve circulation)

Blood Calcium Reduction (in medical conditions where blood calcium is dangerously high treatment is needed to reduce levels to normal)
Prednisone is activated by the patient's liver into Prednisolone.

Prednisolone may be administered in tablet form or produced by the body from prednisone. These medications are considered to be interchangeable.

SIDE EFFECTS

Prednisone & prednsolone have activity in the kidney leading to the conservation of salt.  This creates the classical side effects of prednisone/prednisolone use: excessive thirst and excessive urination.  If this occurs, another steroid can be selected or the predisone/prednisolone dose can be dropped.

Prednisone/prednisolone are commonly used for several weeks or even months at a time to get a chronic process under control.  It is important that the dose be tapered to an every other day schedule once the condition is controlled. The reason for this is that body will perceive these hormones and not produce any of its own. In time, the adrenal glands will atrophy so that when the medication is discontinued, the patient will be unable to respond to any stressful situation. An actual circulatory crisis can result. By using the medication every other day, this allows the body's own adrenal glands to remain active.

Any latent infections can be unmasked by prednisone use. (Feline upper respiratory infections would be a classical example. When a cat recovers clinically, the infection simply goes dormant. Glucocorticoid use could bring the infection out again.)

Glucocorticoid hormone use can be irritating to the stomach at higher doses.

INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER DRUGS

Glucocorticoid hormones should not be used in combination with medications of the NSAID class (ie aspirin, Rimadyl, phenylbutazone etc.) as the combination of these medications could lead to bleeding in the stomach or intestine. Ulceration could occur.

CONCERNS AND CAUTIONS

Prednisone and prednisolone are considered to be intermediate acting steroids, meaning that a dose lasts about a day or a day and a half. After two weeks or more of use, it is important to taper the dose to an every other day schedule so as to keep the body's own cortisone sources able and healthy.

The same salt retention that accounts for the excessive thirst and urination may also be a problem for heart failure patients or other patients who require sodium restriction.

Diabetic patients should never take this medication
unless there is a life-threatening reason why they must.

Glucocorticoid hormones can cause abortion in pregnant patients.
They should not be used in pregnancy.

Prednisone/Prednisolone use is likely to change liver enzyme blood testing and interfere with testing for thyroid diseases.

When prednisone/prednisolone is used routinely, serious side effects would not be expected.  When doses become immune-suppressive (higher doses) or use becomes "chronic" (longer than 4 months at an every other day schedule), the side effects and concerns associated become different.  In these cases, monitoring tests may be recommended or, if possible, another therapy may be selected.

:D Weee

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 05:16:15 AM »
Try some Deca Durabolin.  ;D ;D

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 05:32:01 AM »
Stick with omega 3 only dont get the capsules that contain omega 3 and 6 or 3, 6 and 9. If the ratio of 3 to 6 is too high it can actually lead to inflammation. We tend to need more 3 then we get.

its the opposite, more 6 is inflammatory and we eat to much. Fish oil is omega three.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 06:01:36 AM »
1-2 weeks ok
long term usage, you will go psycho
and not know it, get moon face and acne, the kind you
cant get rid of.

Get a kenalog injection at the site, Much Much
better on your system, and more effective.
Most are all show no go!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 06:06:30 AM »
i've only allowed myself to take 2-3 of the 200 mg advil each day.  I'm using getbig to give me really good reasons NOT to take the predisolone.  I hate most medicines and would hate to be addicted so some like many in the fmaily are.

I've thought that for  the ibuprofen to be effective, you have to keep it in your system.   I took 600-800mg 3x a day.

And FWIW, I strained my SI joint once during squats, and was on Prednisone for a week.  It felt great for me.
Y

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 07:17:10 AM »
its the opposite, more 6 is inflammatory and we eat to much. Fish oil is omega three.

Exactly, I didnt say which one was the culprit but if you read the post YOU would know I told him to ONLY take Omega 3, thanks though!!!

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 07:19:22 AM »
I've thought that for  the ibuprofen to be effective, you have to keep it in your system.   I took 600-800mg 3x a day.

And FWIW, I strained my SI joint once during squats, and was on Prednisone for a week.  It felt great for me.

Listen 240, 800mg of perscription Ibuprofen is stronger than 4 advil 200mg.  So get a script, Ive spoken to a dr thats an expert in drug chemistry and effects.  I take 1 800mg 3x a day
Most are all show no go!

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:19 AM »
1-2 weeks ok
long term usage, you will go psycho

and not know it, get moon face and acne, the kind you
cant get rid of.

Get a kenalog injection at the site, Much Much
better on your system, and more effective.
My experience with Predisone was a nightmare (made me psychotic/flipping out breaking shit/fighting/crying uncontrollably)
didn't know what was wrong with me until i figured out it was the predisone (once i came off it/stopped it i was fine)
chainsaw hit the nail right on the head IMO

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 08:11:50 AM »
My experience with Predisone was a nightmare (made me psychotic/flipping out breaking shit/fighting/crying uncontrollably)
didn't know what was wrong with me until i figured out it was the predisone (once i came off it/stopped it i was fine)
chainsaw hit the nail right on the head IMO

In response to your post Mike, I became paranoid, visiting my GF at work and having
the Pepperdine police have to throw me off the university, I was abusive, and man thats
not like me.  This was 15 yrs ago, and even when my dr. told my GF what was happening,
she couldn't comprehend, and my relationship ended.

This is really serious, Roid rage is really cortico steroid rage.
Most are all show no go!

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 08:25:23 AM »
In response to your post Mike, I became paranoid, visiting my GF at work and having
the Pepperdine police have to throw me off the university, I was abusive, and man thats
not like me.  This was 15 yrs ago, and even when my dr. told my GF what was happening,
she couldn't comprehend, and my relationship ended.

This is really serious, Roid rage is really cortico steroid rage.

Jesus.................i trashed my ex-gf's apt (she wanted to call the cops/when we sat down and thought about anything that was "different" we both came up with the Predisone)
im normally pretty mellow and "chill" of a guy
nasty drug imo!

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 08:35:38 AM »
Still strong, moved the 50s in military press with no problem.

50lb military presses!!! WHAT A BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
$

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 08:42:39 AM »
50lb military presses!!! WHAT A BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm a scary dude, let's be honest

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 08:45:47 AM »
i'm a scary dude, let's be honest

I'm just filling in for Squadfather till he gets back
$

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:49 AM »
Jesus.................i trashed my ex-gf's apt (she wanted to call the cops/when we sat down and thought about anything that was "different" we both came up with the Predisone)
im normally pretty mellow and "chill" of a guy
nasty drug imo!

I hear ya bro.  I hope 240 heeds our warning!!
Most are all show no go!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 09:27:51 AM »
thanks foir the PM chainsaw... i am certianly scared of this drug now.  stacking up my advil, fish oil, glucoasmine, aminos... got myself a sling today... and just going to give this shoulder a few weeks with no activity aside from typing and a bit of guitar playing when required.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »
doc tells me i have bursitis, or tendonitis in my shoulder.

prednisolone is being considered. 

Anyone use it before?   Good, bad, etc?  Side effects?  thanks!

Go to http://www.activerelease.com/ put your zip code in the provider search bar, find a provider in your area and get in there, it takes about 6 visits but you'll start to feel better and heal. Warning - the sessions can be painful but WELL worth it.
and keep moving!

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 09:39:18 AM »
Go to http://www.activerelease.com/ put your zip code in the provider search bar, find a provider in your area and get in there, it takes about 6 visits but you'll start to feel better and heal. Warning - the sessions can be painful but WELL worth it.

Max your speaking of injectiions correct?  An orthopedic dr can do it as well.
Most are all show no go!

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2009, 09:44:22 AM »

Exactly what I said before. 240, it's your call cause it's your body, but if you want a permanent cure for the underlying problem rather than a temporary solution for the symptoms using a drug that is going to do you no good, then you should get the active release therapy. It will take less than a month, but after that, your shoulders will be 100% and you can get on with your life. Taking the drug isn't going to help you in the long run and after it's run it's course, you are going to be older and still stuck with the same problem you had originally.

Praying and supplementing with OTC stuff like Glucosamine and fish oil isn't going to do jack shit. If you don't believe me or Max Rep, PM Milos, who once got that treatment and got his shoulders completely restored in under 3 weeks.

Max your speaking of injectiions correct?  An orthopedic dr can do it as well.

It's not an injection. It's very similar to a deep tissue massage. Doesn't involve any drugs.

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
Just summing it up.  Don't take it....you will get fat & kind of crazy!

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »
thanks foir the PM chainsaw... i am certianly scared of this drug now.  stacking up my advil, fish oil, glucoasmine, aminos... got myself a sling today... and just going to give this shoulder a few weeks with no activity aside from typing and a bit of guitar playing when required.

Im glad to hear bro.
Most are all show no go!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »

thank you max rep!
I just found one locally.  45 bucks per visit.  They may or may not take my aetna.  I read about Milos' experience.  The doc I'm seeing specialized in weightlifters and runners.

So who has used Active release therapy?  Good things to say about it?

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
Re: Active Release Therapy - Who has tried it?
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »
Rob - I second (or third) the active release therapy. I've had chronic tendonosis/tendonitis in my brachialis/biceps and this is the only thing that helps significantly. The fish oil helps, but as mentioned, it probably improves your condition 5-10%.

A.R.T. is great to break up the scar tissue that you likely have in the shoulder. This is actually re-igniting the inflammation-healing process around the tendons, but allows it to heal correctly without impingment. Since the shoulder and bi's are tied in together they may even use the same movements through your biceps too. You can couple this with things like cross friction massage and icing on your own but it depends how easily you can get to the sore spot. Some chiropractors are certified in this also.