Author Topic: Have other Presidents had this type of confidence?  (Read 1653 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Have other Presidents had this type of confidence?
« on: February 26, 2009, 01:35:09 PM »
(Seriously, I don't know if others have said this type of thing?...I've only recently followed politics more closely than in the past)

"Today, I'm pledging to cut the deficit we inherited by half by the end of my first term in office," Obama said.
R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: Have other Presidents had this type of confidence?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:43:35 PM »
OK not presidents but yes, these are confident people!

"As president, I have committed to balancing the budget by the end of my first term," said McCain

(Hillary) CLINTON: Well, Tim, it is my goal to have all troops out by the end of my first term.

R

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:56:06 PM »
OK not presidents but yes, these are confident people!

"As president, I have committed to balancing the budget by the end of my first term," said McCain

(Hillary) CLINTON: Well, Tim, it is my goal to have all troops out by the end of my first term.

This is Orwell and the Twilight Zone on roids.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »
(Seriously, I don't know if others have said this type of thing?...I've only recently followed politics more closely than in the past)

"Today, I'm pledging to cut the deficit we inherited by half by the end of my first term in office," Obama said.
yes stella problem is it was when they were campaigning

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 02:47:07 PM »
Most Presidents have historically portrayed a sense of confidence.

In the case of one particular pResident, ...he went beyond confidence,
...and entered into unimagineable realms of stubborn, arrogant, myopic, pig headed hubris.

We're all still reeling from it.

Hope That Clarifies.  :)
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 02:58:19 PM »

While it is a pretty ballsy statement and probably sounds good to a lot of you Americans, it's not QUITE the miracle that Obama and his supporters would want you to believe.

He promises to cut the yearly deficit by half in the US budget.
Suprisingly many Americans don't know that USA, starting with Reagan, and with the exception for a few years during Clinton, have been constantly overspending.
Ie, deficit budgets.

These deficit budgets have brought an enormous national debt onto USA.

The debt isn't going away anytime soon, and y'all have to pay for both the loans and the interest.

Obama has mentioned to get to a balanced budget, if he gets to a second term.       
As empty as paradise

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 02:59:53 PM »
Most Presidents have historically portrayed a sense of confidence.

In the case of one particular pResident, ...he went beyond confidence,
...and entered into unimagineable realms of stubborn, arrogant, myopic, pig headed hubris.

We're all still reeling from it.

Hope That Clarifies.  :)

Oh come on now.... Clinton wasn't that bad.... 

;)

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »
Anyone notice how much confidence the markets had in him today??

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
Oh come on now.... Clinton wasn't that bad.... 

;)

No he wasn't, ...but George W. Bush was.   :o
w

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 03:42:55 PM »
Anyone notice how much confidence the markets had in him today??

Down 88 points in the DJIA... Does that mean that the 250 point jump  yesterday was BECAUSE they had confidence in him?

You can't have it both ways you know Joe.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 04:18:59 PM »
confidence, not sure.  Arrogance and blurried eyed ignorance, more likely.  Hope he actually does the country good, but after seeing his spending package and the newly proposed $400+billion dollar spending bill, I think he can't say that he is cutting anything.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 05:10:53 PM »
The Dow's a fickle bitch...  it jumps up AND down at the slightest provocation, especially lately...  I've said it before, it's like a spoiled toddler that throws tantrums when it doesn't get its way and at other times displays "irrational exuberance" (in the words of Alan Greenspan) when things seem to be going its way.

So my point being...  take the DJIA on any given day with a grain of salt.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
The Dow's a fickle bitch...  it jumps up AND down at the slightest provocation, especially lately...  I've said it before, it's like a spoiled toddler that throws tantrums when it doesn't get its way and at other times displays "irrational exuberance" (in the words of Alan Greenspan) when things seem to be going its way.

So my point being...  take the DJIA on any given day with a grain of salt.
Good point.
Stock index is based on the shares.

So what really will matter is when/if different industries are starting to wind up again.

That increases their real value. 
As empty as paradise

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
Bush had plenty of hubris

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 06:27:28 PM »
Bush was the divider.   Obama is a uniter.   Bush tried to hide details from americans on all fronts.    Obama is laying out the actual numbers that it will take to undo the last 8 years of corruption & Greed.

Bush and republican tax cuts destroyed america.
Obamas real numbers and transparancy will restore faith in america to the citizens and the world.

No wonder Obama has confidence.  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 06:30:45 PM »
Bush was the divider.   Obama is a uniter.   Bush tried to hide details from americans on all fronts.    Obama is laying out the actual numbers that it will take to undo the last 8 years of corruption & Greed.

Obamas real numbers and transparancy will restore faith in america to the citizens and the world.

you sir are a credit to the liberal media  ::)

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 06:42:35 PM »
you sir are a credit to the liberal media  ::)

All i speak is the truth.  And it can be a bitter pill to swallow, but we cannot change by doing the same thing that destroyed us.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 06:55:39 PM »

All i speak is the truth.  And it can be a bitter pill to swallow, but we cannot change by doing the same thing that destroyed us.
I agree but you overlook the multiple reasons we are in this and just blame bush thats what i was reffering to.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »

Great Post

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 06:44:31 AM »

War-Horse, do you feel that Obama's plans for spreading the wealth is causing some division between the American people?

How did republican tax cuts destroy america? 

Do you agree w/tony that there are multiple reasons we are in this terrible economic situation?

R

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 06:48:33 AM »
Great Post

Still hung over? 

At what point do we say Obama has responsibility for the economy?

By my estimation, even many liberal writers I have seen think his budget is a complete disaster and riddled with reckless spending.

BTW - before doing this, what experience did Obama ever have with budgets? 

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »
http://www.watoday.com.au/world/obama-acts-on-climate-health-and-education-20090227-8kc2.html

America's deficit will skyrocket to $US1.75 trillion ($A2.71 trillion) in 2009, before reducing to a projected $US533 billion in 2013.

The turnaround is also premised on some highly optimistic assumptions about a rebound of the American economy and the effectiveness of the stimulus. The budget assumes the US economy will contract by just 1.2 per cent in 2009 and grow by 3.2 per cent in 2010, and by 4 per cent or more in 2011-2013.

Just a month ago the Congressional Budget Office said it expected the economy to shrink by 2.2 per cent and to grow by a sluggish 2.1 per cent in 2010. The difference, according to a footnote, was the CBO forecasts pre-dated the stimulus. The IMF, however, also projected a deeper recession and a very slow pickup in 2010 in its forecasts in January.

http://pr.thinkprogress.org/2009/02/pr20090224/
After the financial crisis emerged last fall and the ensuing bailouts, Bush's budget deficit ballooned to over $1 trillion.
Z

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 07:27:56 AM »
http://www.watoday.com.au/world/obama-acts-on-climate-health-and-education-20090227-8kc2.html

America's deficit will skyrocket to $US1.75 trillion ($A2.71 trillion) in 2009, before reducing to a projected $US533 billion in 2013.

The turnaround is also premised on some highly optimistic assumptions about a rebound of the American economy and the effectiveness of the stimulus. The budget assumes the US economy will contract by just 1.2 per cent in 2009 and grow by 3.2 per cent in 2010, and by 4 per cent or more in 2011-2013.

Just a month ago the Congressional Budget Office said it expected the economy to shrink by 2.2 per cent and to grow by a sluggish 2.1 per cent in 2010. The difference, according to a footnote, was the CBO forecasts pre-dated the stimulus. The IMF, however, also projected a deeper recession and a very slow pickup in 2010 in its forecasts in January.

http://pr.thinkprogress.org/2009/02/pr20090224/
After the financial crisis emerged last fall and the ensuing bailouts, Bush's budget deficit ballooned to over $1 trillion.

Obama was 1000% in favor of TARP so he bears responsibility for that part of the deficit as well. 

He intends to cripple us financially.  There is no other way to explain what he is doing. 

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 07:46:06 AM »
Obama was 1000% in favor of TARP so he bears responsibility for that part of the deficit as well. 

He intends to cripple us financially.  There is no other way to explain what he is doing. 

America won't be crippled.

He just wants to realign the US like FDR did.

Most Americans are in favor of this.
Z

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 07:57:24 AM »
America won't be crippled.

He just wants to realign the US like FDR did.

Most Americans are in favor of this.

Get us into a world war?

Make a depression worse?