Author Topic: Bodyfat%  (Read 1917 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Bodyfat%
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:58:09 PM »
I've noticed more people are including their bodyfat% in their stats than normal these days when laying out their stats and their proposed cycles.

...nothing wrong with that at all...after all, it is part of your stats.

Question: How many of you actually have your bodyfat tested/checked and how many of you are simply guesstimating?

Just wondering, because I've decided 99% of most people have no idea what BF% they are, and 99.9% always assume it's way lower than it is.

I will have at least one person a wk, if not more who will talk to me and tell me they are somewhere between X&Y BF% and they are 99.99999% of the time off by a mile.

I can't tell you how many supposed 8-10% guys have actually checked out at at least 15% or more, and the 15% guys, you can bet your ass it's almost always at least 20%, more often than not it's pushing 25-30%.

I checked a guy a month or so ago that had a pretty hard stomach, semi-decent abs but a butt ass load of fat on his legs...I thought he was going to cry when I told him he was 14%BF. I've had tons of guys get pissed off at me and tell me I had no idea what I was doing when I checked their BF% and it came out 20% or more.

OK, so I typed out way more than I meant to, lol! Anyway, you get the point.

Big Dave.

• Getbig II
Re: Bodyfat%
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »
Iam thinking of getting my done(as iam now), more than anything out of intrest!
I start a cutting diet and cycle soon i was thinking i should have it done again towards the end see how i did!!

Not looking forward to the result when i get around to it.

Box

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:50:55 AM »
Not trying to rob the thread, but whats the preferred/best method for testing in your (board members) opinion?  I've got a caliper but feel like its horsesht as you can skip areas you personally tend to store more.

ps ive been lurking for a while figure I'd start chiming in...great info here

Big Rock.

• Getbig II
  • Quit yer snivelin'
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 07:32:44 AM »
  I think it's all relative to the person doing the testing. Calipers, in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, are the way to go. I have calipers, and 2 different versions of the Omron tester, they all just piss me off.

1-503rd_IN

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »
I got tested on a 9pt cailiber and was 5.8% they invited me to go into the tank the next day and i had to go in the water, came out to 6.8% i believe.............they told me the lower u are the harder it is to gte a good read with cailibers so the tank is the best method
First Rock

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 09:04:19 AM »
thats funny cause i have noticed the same alot of these guys are saying they are over 200lbs at 6' and 8-15% BF if that is the case then they are close to being able to compete in a local BB show and win i weigh 275lbs at 6'2" and i know iam at least 20% but if i lose 35lbs ill be looking pretty damn good 50lbs less i would enter a piss ant show

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
At the same time, what difference does it make ?! as long as you look good, jacked and are happy, who gives a flying fuck if the caliper says 11% or 15%

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 09:40:34 AM »
agreed.  most people are way off when guessing their bf %.  When i check mine w/ a caliper i do it 5x and take the average of the 5 readings to help with consistency.

Add to the fact that taller people with longer torsos usually can hide 20% better than a shorter person

1-503rd_IN

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »
i am 5'7 172lbs so even though my BF is low I do not look like abeast at all.  I am sure if i took a mega bulking cycle I might be able to, but i doubt I could even get to over 200lbs with my frame.  I think I am at my peek right now with my current sus only cycle.  Also naturally I am like skeletor so I start around 12% BF naturally anyways.  When I was 18 I was 5'6 132lbs lol i was tiny tim dude, the dude that though he was tuff racking up 135lbs, i am 25 now, God i love juice otherwise I would be playing World of Warcraft
First Rock

Knowledge

• Getbig II
  • Don't hate me cause you ain't me
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 11:27:45 AM »
I use the hydro lab 8) so I think when I say 10% its pretty damn accurate.

1-503rd_IN

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 12:31:17 PM »
I just hate clearing all the air outa my lungs, that shit hurts sometimes.  They dude runing it told me that if you do nto clear all the air out it will throw u off by a lot.
First Rock

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »
i dont care much more bodyfat% statistics..like captainequipoise said... who cares, its how you look.... if somebody asks me = "whats your bodyfat?"  ....ill answer  "its all this soft jiggly stuff covering my abs!"  ;D

1-503rd_IN

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 02:15:57 PM »
very true, I just get it tested to see how effective my gear is at triming fat b/c u barely do any cardio and i do not eat shit food.  I could still look cut up at 20% BF i bet. 
First Rock

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 02:20:10 PM »
The only true guide in lifting/bodybuilding = the mirror.

AVBG

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 02:21:43 PM »
You are so right on with your post AJ. I have come across many people who have no idea about their BF levels.The same people without any test whatsoever can whip out percentages that are like 13% (odd numbers)- I often ask how much difference being 11% is to their current condition?

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
i have my bf% done every week by the same trainer that i work with just so i know that it is coming down. i was 23% i am now 18%. i done care if it right just as long as it comes down. and i pose everyday to make sure i can see the difference. right now i am 6ft 230, with 18%. i want to do a show in october so i am trying to bring it down slow, so i down sacrifice muscle size

abc123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »
It's true that the mirror is the only true guage.  But, I have digital calipers that I use when I start to diet. 

To be honest, I couldn't care less what the first reading is.  As long as the calipers are consistant week to week I can tell whether I am losing or not by the change in the reading and what I see in the mirror.

shrek

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »
true honestly i wouldnt know how to check bf% i have always used mirror and clothes but not the scale thats for sure ive weighed the same for 2 years but my waist is sliming down and the other parts are changing size i love BB

Stavios

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 09:46:12 AM »
if I had it checked, I say it but I am pretty poor at "estimating" my own bodyfat.

manily because all my fat is on my ass and back

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 08:23:47 AM »
You are so right on with your post AJ. I have come across many people who have no idea about their BF levels.The same people without any test whatsoever can whip out percentages that are like 13% (odd numbers)- I often ask how much difference being 11% is to their current condition?

LOL yep agree with AJ too.

This is mainly cause some people are delusional and see something else in the mirror than what is really there. They see a big, "jacked" dude with lower BF, everyone else sees an average, semi fat guy.

Pictures are a good way also to see how you truely look.