Author Topic: Do you have the believe the Bible is the 100% word of God to be a Christian?  (Read 21130 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
I think its a good question.    ;)

Because i seriously doubt that 100% of "christians" believe the bible is the 100% word of god.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I think its a good question.    ;)

Because i seriously doubt that 100% of "christians" believe the bible is the 100% word of god.

100% the word of god...this is a fact...get with it Oz! ;D
I hate the State.

Ganuvanx

• Getbig II
  • There's somethin out there, and it ain't no man.
Dude you seem to go out of your way to attack Christianity but are shot down each time. I’m guessing you are atheist. People have been brainwashed to think atheism is peaceful but the reality is atheists are the most blood thirsty monsters in history. Here are the present and past murderers you support when you back atheism:

North Korea currently run by atheist savages, Russia (tens of millions murdered under atheism), Cambodia, Eastern Europe countries, China suffered a blood bath at the hands of atheist fanatics in the last 100 years with over 100 million murdered conveniently ignored by the media. Even now Tibet is suffering under atheist China. This is just the surface.

Our current masters and controllers in society promote atheism in schools, science and music. Why do you suppose this is? These are the same people that hijacked Christianity and murdered under the guise of religious crusades. Albert Pike (33 degree mason like most world leaders) stated atheism is “the origins of savagery and most bloody turmoil”. We are being railroaded into something very dangerous with the shit that is occurring today. Best you figure out why. I can’t debate anyone into finding the truth, you have to find it within yourself. You're kidding yourself if the world would be better off without God.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Dude you seem to go out of your way to attack Christianity but are shot down each time. I’m guessing you are atheist. People have been brainwashed to think atheism is peaceful but the reality is atheists are the most blood thirsty monsters in history. Here are the present and past murderers you support when you back atheism:

North Korea currently run by atheist savages, Russia (tens of millions murdered under atheism), Cambodia, Eastern Europe countries, China suffered a blood bath at the hands of atheist fanatics in the last 100 years with over 100 million murdered conveniently ignored by the media. Even now Tibet is suffering under atheist China. This is just the surface.

Our current masters and controllers in society promote atheism in schools, science and music. Why do you suppose this is? These are the same people that hijacked Christianity and murdered under the guise of religious crusades. Albert Pike (33 degree mason like most world leaders) stated atheism is “the origins of savagery and most bloody turmoil”. We are being railroaded into something very dangerous with the shit that is occurring today. Best you figure out why. I can’t debate anyone into finding the truth, you have to find it within yourself. You're kidding yourself if the world would be better off without God.

This old red herring. Even if true, which it is not, as the communist and fascist regimes you cite are nothing more than political religions that happen to be secular and did not kill in the NAME OF ATHEISM, it does not add a shred of evidence to support any of the fantastical claims and propositions that most religions make.
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

This old red herring. Even if true, which it is not, as the communist and fascist regimes you cite are nothing more than political religions that happen to be secular and did not kill in the NAME OF ATHEISM, it does not add a shred of evidence to support any of the fantastical claims and propositions that most religions make.

You're both right. But, there’s one caveat to Deicide’s statement.

“Atheism”, technically, is the lack of belief in a supernatural deity. But, in practice, far too many atheists have more than a mere disbelief in God. They are deliberately and methodically ANTAGONISTIC towards religious beliefs and people of faith.

In short, a lot of “atheists” are actually (and would be more appropriately titled) “anti-theists”.

A "political religion" would basically back the statement that I've made on numerous occasions, regarding atheism, at least as practiced, is effectively man worshipping himself.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
it's a yes or no question.......No is my answer...next.
DAWG

Butterbean

• Getbig V
No is my answer.

I agree w/big L dawg.  No.
R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

I agree w/big L dawg.  No.

I’d go with “Yes”. And this is a good question indeed.

But, the reason Ozmo is asking it is the heart of the matter.

He mentioned his Christian upbringing and cites a good hunk of his values on such. He also likes the “nuggets of wisdom” (as he calls it) about Scripture.

His pickle, however, is that he can’t come to terms with the fact that the same God who sent Jesus Christ (who is the source of his Christian upbringing, and perhaps, any Christian faith he may currently have or aspire to obtain) to die for our sins is the EXACT SAME GOD who ordered the complete destruction of Amalek, for their continued attacks on Israel for over 300 years.

In short, it's the classic justice vs. mercy argument with regards to the Bible and to Christian faith.

My take is a simple one. God blesses individually; He punishes individually; He blesses corporately; He punishes corporately.

That is how He can put the sins of mankind of Jesus (who knew no sin), to have Him die and pay the penalty that belongs to us.

That's also why he can destroy an entire people (man, woman, and child) for the sins of a king or ruler.

And, it's also how he can bless an entire people (man, woman, and child) for the righteous behavior of a king or ruler.

OzmO

• Getbig V

I couldn't disagree with you more on most every count.

I'm not trying to back atheism, I'm not an atheist.  Do most christians believe the Bible is the 100% WOG?  I think not.

Has many many people died in the name of religion?  YES.  They are dying now and all through out history.  

Interesting how the crusades is explained by some.  Fact is, this was "gods" church that was hijacked.  He allowed millions to die under his name.  

But he's into that kind of thing.

OzmO

• Getbig V
McWay or Stella, is there scripture to back it up?

Or is this just personal interpretation?  ;)

PS:  I'm not in a pickle.....lol   I don't worship a child murderer. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

PS:  I'm not in a pickle.....lol   I don't worship a child murderer. 

PS:  I'm not in a pickle.....lol   I don't worship a child murderer. 

Yet, you credit your morals and values (a significant portion, at least) to your “Christian upbringing” the foundation of which comes from this same “child murderer”.

But to answer your question..........

2 Tim. 3:16, All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Yet, you credit your morals and values (a significant portion, at least) to your “Christian upbringing” the foundation of which comes from this same “child murderer”.

OzmO

• Getbig V

But to answer your question..........

No not at all.  Never was this brought up when i was growing up.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet my parents, aunts, uncles, etc...   Don't even know of the instances where God ordered the murder of children.

2 Tim. 3:16,  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That doesn't answer the original question of the thread.

Butterbean

• Getbig V

The way I see the question is this:  Do you have to believe the Bible is 100% the word of God to be a Christian?

The reason I said no is because there are people that I do believe are Christians that haven't read all of the bible. 

To be a Christian:  Recognize your need for a Savior and accept Jesus Christ as such. 

Now that is a very brief definition which does encompass much more in it's meaning. 

But do I think a person that hasn't read (and thus wouldn't have made a decision on if they believe) that The sons of Pedaiah were Zerubbabel and Shimei cannot be a Christian?  No.

R

OzmO

• Getbig V
The way I see the question is this:  Do you have to believe the Bible is 100% the word of God to be a Christian?

The reason I said no is because there are people that I do believe are Christians that haven't read all of the bible. 

To be a Christian:  Recognize your need for a Savior and accept Jesus Christ as such. 

Now that is a very brief definition which does encompass much more in it's meaning. 

But do I think a person that hasn't read (and thus wouldn't have made a decision on if they believe) that The sons of Pedaiah were Zerubbabel and Shimei cannot be a Christian?  No.

If they read the whole Bible and didn't truly believe someone survived 3 days in a whale are they still a Christian?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
No not at all.  Never was this brought up when i was growing up.  In fact, I'd be willing to bet my parents, aunts, uncles, etc...   Don't even know of the instances where God ordered the murder of children.

Did they really not know about it? Or, did they simply determine that, in their day-to-day lives (dealing with the issues of the time, like feeding, clothing, and raising you), the fate of the Amalekites some 3000 or so years ago just wasn’t that important?

Furthermore, while they may not have been as aware of the Amalekites, it’s safe to say that they WERE familiar with the far-more-frequently-cited examples of judgment, such as that on Sodom and Gommorah, and the plagues on Egypt that lead to the Exodus and, of course, the Ten Commandments.

But, the point wasn’t whether your parents brought up the issue, involving the Amalekites, or not. The point was that (regardless of whether they knew about it or mentioned it, if they did), the Christian upbringing which they used to raise you is based on the same God that judged the Amalekites

That's because I answered the original question of the thread, with my initial post.

"I’d go with 'Yes'. And this is a good question indeed."

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
If they read the whole Bible and didn't truly believe someone survived 3 days in a whale are they still a Christian?

LOL. ;D
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Christians are believers in and followers of Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ believed that the Old Testament was The Word of God and quoted it constantly.  Jesus Christ's apostles believed that the Old Testament was The Word of God.  Why wouldn't a Christian believe that all of the Bible is The Word of God?

Even Richard Dawkins said that if Christians who believe all of the Bible betray reason, those Christians who do not believe all of the Bible betray both, reason and faith.  How do you pick and choose what is from God and what isn't?  Richard Dawkins asked.  He's got a good point.

By the way, OzmO, why do you exclude Jews?  Many religious Jews today believe that all of the Old Testament is 100% The World of God.  Why do you hate Christians so much?

Butterbean

• Getbig V

I do not believe accepting the story of Jonah as true is a prerequisite for becoming a Christian.

I believe being a Christian doesn't focus upon a whale story but focuses on Jesus as Savior (which includes who He is and what He has done for us), and accepting Him as that.   

Romans 3:23-24:

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus
R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Jesus Christ Himself said

"For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."
Matthew 12:40 (New International Version)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Christians are believers in and followers of Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ believed that the Old Testament was The Word of God and quoted it constantly.  Jesus Christ's apostles believed that the Old Testament was The Word of God.  Why wouldn't a Christian believe that all of the Bible is The Word of God?

Even Richard Dawkins said that if Christians who believe all of the Bible betray reason, those Christians who do not believe all of the Bible betray both, reason and faith.  How do you pick and choose what is from God and what isn't?  Richard Dawkins asked.  He's got a good point.

Good points, indeed!!! I've asked Ozmo a similar question multiple times, with regards to the fact that either the God, who sent Jesus Christ (the source of his Christian upbringing) to die for our sins, is the same One who brought judgment on the Amalekites; or He is not.

By the way, OzmO, why do you exclude Jews?  Many religious Jews today believe that all of the Old Testament is 100% The World of God.  Why do you hate Christians so much?

I didn't consider that!!!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Good points, indeed!!! I've asked Ozmo a similar question multiple times, with regards to the fact that either the God, who sent Jesus Christ (the source of his Christian upbringing) to die for our sins, is the same One who brought judgment on the Amalekites; or He is not.

I didn't consider that!!!

Correct, they are both the same One!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

I agree with you, STella!  But I believe OzmO is talking about a Christian who has read and understood the entire Bible, and after that picks and chooses what is and what isn't The Word of God within the Bible.

liberalismo

• Getbig IV

Attention...Nutjob alert!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

It may not directly answer the question, but it's certainly relevant:  2 Tim. 3:16, All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
It doesn't say "some," or "most," it says all. 

But to answer the question, I agree with Stella:  I know some people who are "Christian" who haven't really read the Bible.  I don't think reading it is a prerequisite to being a Christian.