Author Topic: Vascular achievements  (Read 9922 times)

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
Re: Vascular achievements
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 10:35:39 AM »
ya, even at 12 years my hands were huge.
That's pretty muscular for 12. Since we're throwing up these type of pics, here's me at 13 with my "Weider Power Crusher."

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 05:12:19 PM »
That's pretty muscular for 12. Since we're throwing up these type of pics, here's me at 13 with my "Weider Power Crusher."

cool. i bet you remember the ad with Rudy Hermisillo doing that in the 70's Weider ads.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 05:38:43 PM »
cool. i bet you remember the ad with Rudy Hermisillo doing that in the 70's Weider ads.
Yeah, I think he won the teen Mr. America  and the teen USA. I remember I was the only kid in my classroom that could bend that thing.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »
Yeah, I think he won the teen Mr. America  and the teen USA. I remember I was the only kid in my classroom that could bend that thing.

he was Sly Stallone's bodygaurd.  won the teen mr A. but they said after he was over 20.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 11:12:03 AM »
he was Sly Stallone's bodygaurd.  won the teen mr A. but they said after he was over 20.
That's right. I was at this show in 78 in California called the Pro World Cup, that Robbie Robinson won and Rudy won his show that night and Stallone, dressed in his white "Saturday Night Fever" suit handed out the Trophy to Rudy.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »
That's right. I was at this show in 78 in California called the Pro World Cup, that Robbie Robinson won and Rudy won his show that night and Stallone, dressed in his white "Saturday Night Fever" suit handed out the Trophy to Rudy.

didn't they give Robbi a portrait of himself at that show?

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2009, 07:47:12 PM »
didn't they give Robbi a portrait of himself at that show?
Yeah, I think you're right. I was only about 15 at the time so my memory is a little sketchy. I think it was a big framed portrait of Robbie hitting a bicep shot of some sort. That was a cool trip for me. My father knew Joe Weider and he arranged for me to stay with Mike Mentzer and his girlfriend for a few days. I took some good workouts with Mike. He was strong as hell back then.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 08:12:36 PM »
Yeah, I think you're right. I was only about 15 at the time so my memory is a little sketchy. I think it was a big framed portrait of Robbie hitting a bicep shot of some sort. That was a cool trip for me. My father knew Joe Weider and he arranged for me to stay with Mike Mentzer and his girlfriend for a few days. I took some good workouts with Mike. He was strong as hell back then.

fuck man, that would have been the highlight of my life!

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 08:44:51 PM »
fuck man, that would have been the highlight of my life!
It was awesome! I know he had problems a few years later, but he was really nice to me then.  He was very cool and was very positive at that time because he really thought he would be Mr. Olympia eventually, his mail order courses were selling great. I remember going backstage at the 79 Olympia. He was pretty sure he was going to beat Zane and he said to me, "I think I'm going to win." Zane won, of course. But then after also losing the 80' Mr. Olympia, getting into amphetamines, his dad dying, he kind of snapped. 

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 06:32:37 AM »
But then after also losing the 80' Mr. Olympia, getting into amphetamines, his dad dying, he kind of snapped. 

Someone on here once said that Mike freaked so bad that he would sometimes run out in traffic, or one time he ran into Golds Gym paranoid and hid under a desk or something.
Any stories as to these kind of activities Mike did after/during his "snapped phase?"

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »
Holy shit - those veins on Hazbin are unreal - freakier than anyone I've ever seen, pro or otherwise.  :o

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 12:05:52 PM »
Someone on here once said that Mike freaked so bad that he would sometimes run out in traffic, or one time he ran into Golds Gym paranoid and hid under a desk or something.
Any stories as to these kind of activities Mike did after/during his "snapped phase?"
I wasn't in touch with him then but I've heard some of these stories. It's well chronicled that abusing speed or stimulants like coke or freebase can derange your neurotransmitter levels to the point where one becomes totally out of touch with reality. Mike was institutionalized several times but recovered in the early 90's. The workouts he started recomending then, like doing 1 set per bodypart every 2 weeks, were way different to the one's I watched him do. He would do about 3 sets per exercise and about 3 or 4 exercises per bodypart, so somewhere along 9 to 10 sets a bodypart. But lots of forced reps and supersets..with heavy weights.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »

Veins are not all they are cracked up to be.
I'm extremely vascular, much to my own dismay. :-\

I agree with this. With vascularity, less is more-literally just a vein here and there adds a little something, but very quickly anything beyond that quickly becomes disgusting. I tried but never got much vascularity then realized that cuts and refinement are a lot more impressive; the more the better in this case, unlike vascularity.

The other thing about vascularity is that i've always believed that a combination of genetics and certain drug cocktails tend to bring out the less attractive vascularity that is closer to the surface of the skin. Very unnatural looking and again unnatractive. The really dry and healthy looking BBs from the old days didn't have this for the most part.