Author Topic: Anyone here take high blood pressure medication?  (Read 7246 times)

paulsed1

• Getbig II
Anyone here take high blood pressure medication?
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:11:17 AM »
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but was just wondering if anyone here takes HBP meds and still can work out fine with no noticeable issues?  I have been struggling to get the BP down now for about a year, with so-so success.  I take Arginine, Co-Enzyme Q-10, Hawthorne Berry, Grape Seed Extract and EFAs among other things.  I have worked out and ate right for more than half my life, so it's not like I don't live right.  If anything, I think what might have brought this on was stuff like N.O. Explode and other stimulant type products which I used to be able to take with no problem.  It sucks because I get good pumps from those products, but I guess if it is damaging yor insides, it is obviously not worth it.  I sometmes still use maybe a 1/3 of a bottle of Endo-Rush if I think I need it, but I suppose that isn't the best thing either.

So anyone take this type of med?  I work out intensely and would hate for soemthing to lessen that, but living is more important of course.  My heart beats pretty hard at times too, I don't know if that is due to HBP or something else.  I may just have to accept the fact I need to take this stuff, i just wish it could be brought down by natural means.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: Anyone here take high blood pressure medication?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:13:10 PM »
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, but was just wondering if anyone here takes HBP meds and still can work out fine with no noticeable issues?  I have been struggling to get the BP down now for about a year, with so-so success.  I take Arginine, Co-Enzyme Q-10, Hawthorne Berry, Grape Seed Extract and EFAs among other things.  I have worked out and ate right for more than half my life, so it's not like I don't live right.  If anything, I think what might have brought this on was stuff like N.O. Explode and other stimulant type products which I used to be able to take with no problem.  It sucks because I get good pumps from those products, but I guess if it is damaging yor insides, it is obviously not worth it.  I sometmes still use maybe a 1/3 of a bottle of Endo-Rush if I think I need it, but I suppose that isn't the best thing either.

So anyone take this type of med?  I work out intensely and would hate for soemthing to lessen that, but living is more important of course.  My heart beats pretty hard at times too, I don't know if that is due to HBP or something else.  I may just have to accept the fact I need to take this stuff, i just wish it could be brought down by natural means.

I take propranolol. I used to get severe headaches very frequently and I think it was probably due to my blood pressure. It was up around 150/90 and I was only 19/20 years old. Since I've been on propranolol I haven't had a severe headache.

In terms of working out the thing I notice is that I find it tougher to lose weight and when doing cardio my heart will slow back down very fast after I finish working out. No bad side effects at all from my experience.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:47:02 PM »
Thank you so much for the feedback, that sounds good.  So in terms of getting a pump and strength, everything is  as good as normal?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:28:52 AM »
Thank you so much for the feedback, that sounds good.  So in terms of getting a pump and strength, everything is  as good as normal?

Yeh, haven't noticed anything difference. I'm a powerlifter so I don't so much get a pump, but strength is just fine  :)

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »
I'm confused as ever now.  Got the BP checked today and it was 120/80.  Not perfect but not bad.  Yet I had some weird symptoms over the weekend, heart pain and what felt like fluttering, although I'm not sure.  Yeah, I am getting all this checked out over the next few days, I just wish I could know what exactly is going on.  It would be great if it was just anxiety related, but it bothers me at times of rest, so I don't think it is.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:11:37 PM »
your bottom number is still kinda high, but so is mine. After my mom, grandfather, and dog died in less than a year mine was 155/115. I was ready to blow a main spring!! Then I got on some meds, dropped some gross tonage and got back into resonable shape and now its cool. I had flutters and sudden shortness of breath for a while but they finally went away after $$$$$$ worth of tests that come up with nothing!
X

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 08:50:42 AM »
I'm confused as ever now.  Got the BP checked today and it was 120/80.  Not perfect but not bad.  Yet I had some weird symptoms over the weekend, heart pain and what felt like fluttering, although I'm not sure.  Yeah, I am getting all this checked out over the next few days, I just wish I could know what exactly is going on.  It would be great if it was just anxiety related, but it bothers me at times of rest, so I don't think it is.

120/80 is pretty textbook. I don't think you have anything to worry about with that tbh. Did your Dr tell you that wasn't good?

The pain you described, are you sure it was heart pain or just brief palpitations? About the pain:
What were you doing when it started?
How would you describe it?
Where did it start?
Did it move anywhere?
When did it start, how long did it last and is it intermittent or constant?
What made it better or worse?
How severe was it?
Did you notice anything else besides the fluttering when you had the pain?

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »
Thank you for your interest in my health.  The doctor did feel the BP reading was pretty good.  I can type a ton in regard to your questions, hope you won't get too bored.  I can blab pretty good.

I would say it was/is a combination of pain (not always constant but frequent) and palpatations.

This all first started I would say about a year ago.  I was taking a lot of supplements, I had been a big NO-Explode or endorush user.  I introduced a new product into the regimen, arimatest.  Taking both before my workout didn't seem to have the best effect on my body.  Both pretty potent I guess, even though I'm sure gear users would say Arimatest is crap.  If anything, it is probably just unhealthy as gear, if not more so.  I broke out in quite a sweat during the workout, even more than I normally do and my heart seemed like it was beating pretty fast.  Made it through the workout, but felt a little light headed.  Going forward, I had some pain in the heart area, enough that it concerned me. Being stubborn like I am, I still had some Endorush, another stim product later in the week, thinking maybe the feeling was nothing.  I still got more pain there and lightheadedness later on, so I eventually got checked out.  Everything it seemed came back fine, the cardiologist said high BP was the end result.  I have since been working on trying to get it down.  I was doing a good amount of cardio for a while (slacked on it recently) and laying off the stimulants and using products like the ones I mentioned above to get the BP down.  It was still high for a while, but varied here and there.  The pain has a tendency to come and go, although lately it has came and stayed.  I can still work out, but am afraid to super exert myself, which sucks because I love to train intensely.  I sometimes over the past few months used Endorush occasionally if I thought I needed a kick, just a small amount, but I think the stuff is probably doing more damage than helping, so I have to stop.  Not sure about Size On either.  Guess I am better off keeping it basic.

Kind of hard to describe, many sensations.  Sometimes it feels like a shooting pain going up the right side of my heart.  Sometimes I get a feeling almost like the heart is pumping out blood warmer than usual.  Other times it is just a general pain there, maybe like kind of a sharp pain.

I do get sensations in other areas at times, sometimes where the heart is but in my back, sometimes the neck, and sometimes the jaw.  That is what initially got me worried because I had read how jaw pain can sometimes mean heart attack.  I rushed straight to the ER when I first heard about it.  No heart attack though thank God.  I sometimes feel like blood is rushing to my head too if I am really straining. 

It is hard to say if it is intermittent or constant.  It comes and goes, I sometimes will feel okay for a number of days and then it sometimes just shows up without warning.  When I get it, it usually lasts a while.  I lately have had trouble sleeping too, i find if the heart is bothering me, it takes me a long time to fall asleep.  Strangely enough, I am not that tired the next day even if I don't sleep that much.

Up until recently, it seemed like it didn't bother me that much when working out, strangely enough.  These last few times though, it has been more troublesome, especially tonight.  I went out last night and was kind of tired, so I had about 1/4 bottle of Endorush.  I think there is a part of me that keeps hoping this wasn't brought on by products, but it probably is.  I felt like I had to be very careful during my workout, it was kind nerve wracking.  I had a couple instances where I almost thought I was going to have a heart attack or something.  I noticed the heart would have some pain or flutter and it would travel a bit up my neck.  Anyway, I poured the rest of the crap (Endorush) down the drain.  I think it is best to stay off that stuff even though it has some good effects, but the bad seems to outweigh it.  The only thing that seems to help so far is a truly restful sleep ,which I haven't been getting.

Severity varies, it was pretty bad during tonight's workout, but it is sometimes just an annoyance.

Other than pain and fluttering, it sometimes has a tendency to beat pretty hard.  The pulse doesn't seem abnormally fast though.  I feel like sometimes too when I contract my chest muscles, it almost seems like it moves the heart too, just kind of a weird feeling, maybe psychosomatic.  I lately have been noticing too it will sometimes either flutter, palpatate or just painfully contract and I have to take a second ot catch my breath.  That is what freaks me out the most.

I guess you will think I am an idiot with the whole supplement thing.  It initially kind of boosted my morale when the BP seemed to be down, but I guess that is no reason to start ingesting caffiene like crazy again.  I know it is stating the obvious that I love to workout, but I am kind of discouraged by all this.  I don't know if stopping the supps is the only thing to do, I kind of worry damage has already been done.  I will be getting some tests done the next few days, I hope some kind of a sollution can be arrived at.  I am not looking for miracles in gains, I just want my health and to be able to workout like normal.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:22:56 AM »
For what it's worth, just got an EKG last night and it came back fine.  More tests to come.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 05:12:55 AM »
120/80, as already said, is fine.

Also, if you have hypertension, it is a good idea to stop any over head work. Any exercise that involves your heart having to pump blood against gravity is going to put more strain on the heart. Just find some suitable substitutes till it's all good.
No doubt about it...

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:52:51 AM »
Yeh, I'd definitely stop those supps. They sound to be a contributing factor. Stick to the whey! Anything like this in the family?

You were right to be worried about the jaw pain.

Sounds like the heart alright. Just strange it comes on at different times. Any breathlessness?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:20:18 PM »
i take a HCTZ and Lotrel and two cholesterol pills, high blood pressure runs in my family, and so does High Cholesterol. It was discovered that I have one kidney, and  in stage 3 of 5 in kidney disease.

At one time i had stroke level BP, and i was rushed to the Hospital. You wouldn't think it, because I'm a natural hardgainer, it was hard for me to get 175, and I've always had a sixpack to some degree.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
i take a HCTZ and Lotrel and two cholesterol pills, high blood pressure runs in my family, and so does High Cholesterol. It was discovered that I have one kidney, and  in stage 3 of 5 in kidney disease.

At one time i had stroke level BP, and i was rushed to the Hospital. You wouldn't think it, because I'm a natural hardgainer, it was hard for me to get 175, and I've always had a sixpack to some degree.
drop the carbs and start eating lots of veggies and fish.

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 01:21:29 PM »
Yeh, I'd definitely stop those supps. They sound to be a contributing factor. Stick to the whey! Anything like this in the family?

You were right to be worried about the jaw pain.

Sounds like the heart alright. Just strange it comes on at different times. Any breathlessness?

Well, the jaw pain (sometimes a tingle) didn't lead to anything super serious (I think) so is it possible something can still register there without it meaning it's a heart attack or cardio arrest I wonder?  There is maybe light breathlessness once in a great while, but nothing real bad.  I sometimes just feel I need to pause and take a deep breath or catch my breath when lifting.

I had a stress test today on the treadmill, came back normal, got the pulse up to about 160 bpm.  Echo cardiogram and halter monitor still to come and got blood work done today too.  I would assume if I was in acute danger, something might have shown on the stress test?  Still need to wait to see what else comes up I guess.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 03:22:50 PM »
My heart beats pretty hard at times too, I don't know if that is due to HBP or something else.  I may just have to accept the fact I need to take this stuff, i just wish it could be brought down by natural means.

Is it a beta-blocker?  If so, you're not going to be able to go by heart rate when doing cardio.  There's a ceiling at which your heart won't beat above (usually around 130), so you'd need to go by "perceived level of exertion" if you're doing any heart rate training (which should help to bring the BP down).

120/80 is pretty textbook. I don't think you have anything to worry about with that tbh. Did your Dr tell you that wasn't good?

The medical community is now adopting 110/70 as the standard "normal".

I had a stress test today on the treadmill, came back normal, got the pulse up to about 160 bpm. 

Not a beta-blocker?  Or have you not been on the med long enough to make a difference?
:

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 03:26:52 PM »
Not on any meds at the moment.  Sorry for the confusion.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »
Well, the jaw pain (sometimes a tingle) didn't lead to anything super serious (I think) so is it possible something can still register there without it meaning it's a heart attack or cardio arrest I wonder?  There is maybe light breathlessness once in a great while, but nothing real bad.  I sometimes just feel I need to pause and take a deep breath or catch my breath when lifting.

I had a stress test today on the treadmill, came back normal, got the pulse up to about 160 bpm.  Echo cardiogram and halter monitor still to come and got blood work done today too.  I would assume if I was in acute danger, something might have shown on the stress test?  Still need to wait to see what else comes up I guess.

I don't think you've had a heart attack or anything. It seems like you're very anxious about this, so that's probably not helping too much. Sounds like you're being well looked after

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 05:32:26 PM »
Is it a beta-blocker?  If so, you're not going to be able to go by heart rate when doing cardio.  There's a ceiling at which your heart won't beat above (usually around 130), so you'd need to go by "perceived level of exertion" if you're doing any heart rate training (which should help to bring the BP down).

The medical community is now adopting 110/70 as the standard "normal".

Not a beta-blocker?  Or have you not been on the med long enough to make a difference?

110/70? Really? Where did you find this out? Is it not a range?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 06:16:06 PM »
drop the carbs and start eating lots of veggies and fish.

I don't eat that much in terms of carbs, I need to eat more veggies, but I eat more fish, I also take 2000 mg of Fish oil as well.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »
mine was 155/115. I was ready to blow a main spring!!

Mine was about the same when I finally went to the doctors. LOL I was at the safeway supermarket where I took it on there machine, some lady got on the intercom and said " Will the person who just took there BP" (and read the numbers) please come to the pharmacy"  I laughed but she was really concerned. So went to the doc and it was about the same so they put me on Hydrochlorot 25mg. This was this past summer when I turned 50 so almost been a year now.

Problem is I never remember to take it!   :-\   I'll take one, one day and forget for 3.

Like burn2live said, I'm also a powerlifter so my workouts are pretty quick compaired to a bodybuilder & I don't really shoot for any pump & has not had any impact on  strength.
Masters- 50-54
148#

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 08:04:27 PM »

Mine was about the same when I finally went to the doctors. LOL I was at the safeway supermarket where I took it on there machine, some lady got on the intercom and said " Will the person who just took there BP" (and read the numbers) please come to the pharmacy"  I laughed but she was really concerned. So went to the doc and it was about the same so they put me on Hydrochlorot 25mg. This was this past summer when I turned 50 so almost been a year now.

Problem is I never remember to take it!   :-\   I'll take one, one day and forget for 3.

Like burn2live said, I'm also a powerlifter so my workouts are pretty quick compaired to a bodybuilder & I don't really shoot for any pump & has not had any impact on  strength.

One day, in 2007, and my right foot felt like it had swelled up to a football, my dad took my blood pressure, it was 200/190 something.The blood vessels in my eyes were huge.I went straight to the ER, and they said, I was lucky i had had a stroke, and this was at the age of 30.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »
110/70? Really? Where did you find this out? Is it not a range?

They've been saying BELOW 120/80 for the last several years.  I probably heard it in CPR training which I recert every 2 years.  My husband just recently had surgery and I confirmed the new "medical standard" with the surgical staff.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »

High BP is a dangerous thing.  You really don't want to mess around with your meds. Try putting the bottle next to your tooth brush or something so you don't forget to take it.
:

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 10:00:08 AM »

High BP is a dangerous thing.  You really don't want to mess around with your meds. Try putting the bottle next to your tooth brush or something so you don't forget to take it.

True, it's the silent killer

paulsed1

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »
Had a thought tonight and am wondering about Arginine.  I have been taking it for a while now, just the straight powder in water, primarily because it is supposed to help with vasodilation, although it does have some other benefits too.  I am wondering though if that might be giving me the heart trouble?  Mostly everything I read seems to imply it is good for the heart.  I did read something though where it said NO2 might cause heart palpitations.  When I first started having trouble, I was taking Niox and NO-Explode (or Endorush), all of which have a  good dose of Arginine.  Over the course of last summer when I came off most stuff, I didn't have any noticeable heart pain I can recall (was nursing a broken arm at the time, not a good year for me).  I got to taking Arginine again because the BP was high.  I didn't notice any immediate pain or palpitations with it at first, but I am now wondering.  I use the powder three times a day usually, don't really measure, just kind of eyeball it, maybe about a tablespoon or so.  It may not be anything, but curious....  Maybe I'll stay off it for a bit, see of there is a difference.  Any thoughts?