Author Topic: Law Degree  (Read 20229 times)

body88

Re: Law Degree
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2009, 05:56:03 AM »
Personally, I led a team of dotnetnuke and xml programmers.
I taught grades 2 thru 8.
I wrote curriculum and taught microsoft networking.
i ran a 200+ node school network.
i designed and ran 40% of a university website for almost 2 years

i also bagged groceries for a long time at winn dixie, probably the most fun job of all.

It looks like you have zero experience working for major cooperation’s or working in major markets throughout the United States.  I have a communications degree and I have found that it has been a tremendous asset to me in the business world.  How much are you making per year?  With the way you speak, I was expecting to see some major achievements on your list.  I'm not trying to belittle you (as you do to others), but I think you lack credibility since you have never worked outside of your small Florida town.

I worked hard for my degree.  I started out at Bryant playing football and after the first year I transferred up to Boston University.  Where did you go to school?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2009, 06:41:39 AM »
I dont really know what to do with my life.  I love to argue, and if I could make up my mind and set a goal I  would reach it.

One of the pillars of ancient Greek education was rhetoric/ sophistry.  Maybe try a debate club?

I agree with some others that enjoying debate doesn't necessarily mean you should become a lawyer.  My $.02 is to pursue a nonspecific, liberal foundation with a view to seeing what interests you and what doesn't.  Expose yourself (heyyooo!) to a broad range of subjects and follow your nose when you find a subject you like.  Use the internet and independent study to discover the fields you enjoy, as well as the curriculum and faculty of your uni or HS.

Imo, do not pursue a field of study because you think it will help you make money.  Study something you enjoy and make money with that.

body88

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2009, 06:48:12 AM »
One of the pillars of ancient Greek education was rhetoric/ sophistry.  Maybe try a debate club?

I agree with some others that enjoying debate doesn't necessarily mean you should become a lawyer.  My $.02 is to pursue a nonspecific, liberal foundation with a view to seeing what interests you and what doesn't.  Expose yourself (heyyooo!) to a broad range of subjects and follow your nose when you find a subject you like.  Use the internet and independent study to discover the fields you enjoy, as well as the curriculum and faculty of your uni or HS.

Imo, do not pursue a field of study because you think it will help you make money.  Study something you enjoy and make money with that.

I agree.  Do what you love and love what you do. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2009, 07:01:01 AM »
I agree.  Do what you love and love what you do. 

Right on.  I'm considering a career change for that exact reason.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2009, 07:15:19 AM »

I have a biology degree.  I earn far more than if I'd gone to work in that field or pursued a career in medicine.

I did consider going to law school a few years ago. 

My business partner has a law degree from Duke. 

The value of my time at the university was that I got to network with other people who went to ACC schools. 

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2009, 08:18:41 AM »
thanks dude, i'm in school to become a lawyer.

Aero Space 2 tough for ya?

I think I can speak for JohnnyVegas, 619Rules, Paul Hupp et all when I say if he could not do it you guys don't stand a chance.

Paul Hupp faild the bar for you bitches!!!!

The Beef

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2009, 08:44:14 AM »
Not too many other professionans where you can make 80,000 right out of school. Law degree=WORTHWHILE!
I am a big baby

Finn1

• Getbig II
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »
Not that hard if you can read  ;)

Seriously it takes a lot of effort but it is intresting and there is lot of money to be made. And there will always be criminals and other assholes to defend. Plus no mather what happens you will always get paid

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 09:54:43 AM »
My job doesnt pay great but I like it
But i'll find out tommorrow if I get my dream job

body88

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 09:55:32 AM »
Not too many other professionans where you can make 80,000 right out of school. Law degree=WORTHWHILE!

Sure there are.  If you're making good money in law, you likely work so much that you have little time to enjoy life.  Its all about a happy medium between work and play.  I know guys who make 65k per year that are happy as pigs in shit, because 1.) they like their jobs, and 2.) they have time to enjoy life.

The really successful people do what they love, make great money and have a few days a week to enjoy their life.

body88

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2009, 09:56:22 AM »

Thats what its all about.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2009, 11:18:38 AM »
The really successful people do what they love, make great money and have a few days a week to enjoy their life.

I work my ass off, but I'm a professional schmoe and love going to work every day. 

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »
Aero Space 2 tough for ya?

I think I can speak for JohnnyVegas, 619Rules, Paul Hupp et all when I say if he could not do it you guys don't stand a chance.

Paul Hupp faild the bar for you bitches!!!!

The Beef
"faild"?

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2009, 11:29:21 AM »
I dont really know what to do with my life.  I love to argue, and if I could make up my mind and set a goal I  would reach it.

RonPaulFan,

I like to argue also, especially through my writing, but debating in general is fun. The relationship of this to what lawyers do also made me consider the possibility of a law degree. While I am still considering it, I'm currently an English major and am also considering to continue my education with a focus on political science. When you say you love to argue and since your user name has Ron Paul in it (he's the man), I assume discussing politics interests you a lot, so you may consider studying political science to help focus on this aspect more. Also, like I said I am an English major and while many look at it as a doomed degree, I feel as though it is very open, leaving paths paved to many opportunities in terms of continuing education and in terms of a career (especially when combined with the right work experience). I dont know what level of education youre currently at, but an undergrad degree in English is a better idea than most people make it seem. Good luck.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »
Not everyone who ends up as a lawyer is going to be in front of a jury battling the likes of Mark Garagos/Robert Shapiro.  Those guys are the cream of the crop.  Most lawyers never even see the inside of a courtroom trial by jury type cases anyways. 

body88

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2009, 11:47:41 AM »
I work my ass off, but I'm a professional schmoe and love going to work every day. 

Exactly. If schmoeing makes you happy and you make a great living at it then more power to you.  People who work their ass off and they enjoy what they are doing don't feel like they are wasting their life away.  They have spare time because they use downtime to work for the love of their profession.

Chances are if you love what you are doing it comes naturally and your very efficient at it.

brachilius

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2009, 01:57:23 PM »
Just like any other career, law has its ups and downs.  I have been an attorney for 7 years.  I did my 4 years of undergrad and went straight to law school for 3 more years.  You can make money in the legal profession and work 9 to 5 monday through friday.  The miserable lawyers are the ones that carry the "partners" briefcase and do all of the research.  I am in Court every day.  I like advocating on behalf of my client.  It is an adreniline rush.  I would recommend it to anyone.  But like in any other profession, it is better to be your own boss.

Per Se

• Getbig III
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »
How tuff is it to get a Law Degree?  ???

I have an LLB.

I would say that if you're a studious person, then you can easily obtain a law degree.  It's not so much the fact that the modules are hard, it's the level of depth that you have to go into.  Prior to studying a law degree, you may not be used to it.

Work hard...it becomes easy.  I just had to change my overall attitude to studying.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »

what is your dreamjob?
tank u jesus

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2009, 05:25:20 PM »
what is your dreamjob?

NPC nationals is tomorrow

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2009, 05:30:36 PM »
i'm not competing
tank u jesus

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »

okami is

but he said he was clean now because of his job, he is competing for a pro card without drugs ???
tank u jesus

acqui

• Getbig II
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2009, 06:31:10 PM »
I dont really know what to do with my life.  I love to argue.

I would say just get married  ;D

Just the love of arguing isn't a good enough reason to go into law. You should attend a few court sessions, sit in, and see if you like being in that environment and litigating in front of others. There are many other areas of law but as many have suggested, do it because you have a passion for it, not simply because you love to argue.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2009, 06:37:51 PM »
Thanks for all the extremely helpful replies.

Honestly, I'd probably enjoy being a "House Husband" most of all.  I need to focus on finding a woman who makes big bucks.  8)
S