Author Topic: Anyone a camper?  (Read 4227 times)

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
Anyone a camper?
« on: March 21, 2009, 01:31:06 PM »
I need to find a decent tent for under 200bucks that is good for two people.  My girlfriends friend is have a big party inwhich everyone is camping out in her backyard (yes I know kinda gay), but since I have to go I need to get a tent.  Have no fucking clue what to buy.

Anyone got any suggestions?

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Anyone a camper?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 01:54:38 PM »
I like camping at The Four Seasons  ;D
I am a big baby

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 01:56:38 PM »
only a happy one

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »
Camper here. Me and my Lady go out all the time. Dude ... honestly ... you can go just about anywhere and buy a tent under 200 bucks ... and better than just decent. We bought our last one at Wal-Mart for christ sake.

technokc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 01:59:53 PM »
Camper here. Me and my Lady go out all the time. Dude ... honestly ... you can go just about anywhere and buy a tent under 200 bucks ... and better than just decent. We bought our last one at Wal-Mart for christ sake.

Thats what I was probably going to do, but I didn't want to look like a total douche in front of my girls friends and bring something that was just going to fall apart.

Walmart it is!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 02:02:23 PM »
Thats what I was probably going to do, but I didn't want to look like a total douche in front of my girls friends and bring something that was just going to fall apart.

Walmart it is!

Buy something with a camo motif....nothing says "badass" like camo motif pup tent in the backyard.... ;D

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 02:06:03 PM »

Walmart it is!

Glad I could help. They have some very nice Sleeping Bags at Wal-Mart as well ( and, if I might add, many different varieties of camping supplies to chose from, too ). And in order to NOT " look like a total douche in from my girls friends " make sure you know what the hell your doing out there, my friend ... camping is a manly thing ... you've got to assert your dominance over those women.   ;)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 02:08:55 PM »

Glad I could help. They have some very nice Sleeping Bags at Wal-Mart as well ( and, if I might add, many different varieties of camping supplies to chose from, too ). And in order to NOT " look like a total douche in from my girls friends " make sure you know what the hell your doing out there, my friend ... camping is a manly thing ... you've got to assert your dominance over those women.   ;)

Yes, yes ID.....I suggest going around a peeing on the other tents to show them all who is the Alpha.... ;D

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 02:12:43 PM »
Yes, yes ID.....I suggest going around a peeing on the other tents to show them all who is the Alpha.... ;D

LOL ! That might be a little extreme, I think. The " alpha " thing was more of a joke than anything else. Sometimes my lady teaches me a thing or two about how to properly camp ...  :'( ;D

technokc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 02:14:05 PM »
Would inviting the hot single girl into our tent for "protection" be seen by my girl as a manly thing to do?

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »
Would inviting the hot single girl into our tent for "protection" be seen by my girl as a manly thing to do?

If she's in to that sort of thing ... FUCK YEAH ! Mine, unfortunately, is not.  :-\

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 08:02:46 PM »
S

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 08:06:26 PM »

i would hope so, try it out and see

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 08:28:48 PM »
Dude checkout ebay.  You can find some decent new and used tents for under $200.  That or REI outlet.  Kelty is a very good quality brand at an affordable price.  So is Alps Mountaineering from REI.  Other than that don't waste your money on a tent from Walmart or anything that's not brand name.  There is a lot of junk out there.  Stick with Sierra Designs, Kelty, REI, Eureka, etc. 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
I am.  You can easily get a tent for under 200.  A 200 tent would be a very good one. 

Shawdow

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 08:34:43 PM »
I need to find a decent tent for under 200bucks that is good for two people.  My girlfriends friend is have a big party inwhich everyone is camping out in her backyard (yes I know kinda gay), but since I have to go I need to get a tent.  Have no fucking clue what to buy.

Anyone got any suggestions?

The Coach

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I like camping at The Four Seasons  ;D

x2

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 08:41:53 PM »
and make your gf take the first watch & patrol the perimeter regularly.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »
don't forget 2 person sleeping bag.
A

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 09:44:56 PM »

Walmart it is!

It's not the sleeping accommodations you bring to the party but the accessories that will impress.
:

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
Costco has some nice tents under $60 , unless you're going to set up base camp at Mr.Everest I really don't think you need ther insanely overpriced high end gear, esp. for a backyard campout ffs.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 01:03:07 AM »

Oh brother you know nothing about quality camping gear if you think WalMart has very nice sleeping bags! LMAO!  No offense bro but you are clueless.  Im not saying you have to go out and buy a Western Mountaineering subkilo $500 bag.  But Walmart?  They probably carry cheap cotton or qualofil bags.  Like I said earlier You can find very nice used camping gear on ebay.  Even on craigslist.  The brand I mentioned Kelty is probably middle of the road as far as quality.  Definitely much better than Walmart/Coleman brand of camping gear but yet not as high end as say Sierra Designs/NorthFace/Mountain Hardware.  To the OPer.......if you just want some cheap ass tent for a one time use for a party type campout then yes go to Walmart.  But if you want something that is half way decent go elsewhere. 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 01:06:48 AM »
I agree with mcmannus.  Don't go to Wal-Mart.  Just go to a local camping/outdoor store like Sportsman's Warehouse, or something like that.  There are tons of options.  I know a lot about this kinda stuff so you can PM me if you have any questions.  Just a tip: If a tent is a 4 person tent that means it is actually a two person tent.  Always divide the number of people the tent says it is for in half. 

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 01:08:29 AM »
Costco has some nice tents under $60 , unless you're going to set up base camp at Mr.Everest I really don't think you need ther insanely overpriced high end gear, esp. for a backyard campout ffs.

A nice tent for $60 might do fine in the backyard.  But in any kind of downpour or inclement weather scenario I would never trust a $60 tent.  It's funny to hear all you bodybuilders dishing out camping gear advice.  When was the last time any of you even went "camping"?  I'm an avid backpacker and camper.  Been doing it for a few decades.  Not to sound arrogant or conceited but judging by some of your replies I'd say I know a lot more about the subject than most on here.  Of course if your idea of camping is going down to the local KOA campground setting up a cheap walmart tent, unloading the cooler, pulling out your lawn chairs and sipping on some brewskis.....well then by all means.......go to Walmart for your camping gear and have a blast.  But anyone that spends any amount of time in the wilderness, not hokie campgrounds, would never trust their well being to gear at "walmart" or "sears".  LMAO!

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 01:10:03 AM »
I agree with mcmannus.  Don't go to Wal-Mart.  Just go to a local camping/outdoor store like Sportsman's Warehouse, or something like that.  There are tons of options.  I know a lot about this kinda stuff so you can PM me if you have any questions.  Just a tip: If a tent is a 4 person tent that means it is actually a two person tent.  Always divide the number of people the tent says it is for in half. 

So what about an ultralight one person tent :)  Actually a sportman's warehouse is a good idea.  They carry mid level camping equipment, not as high end as an REI but probably just what the OPer is looking for.