Author Topic: Training legs  (Read 1723 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Training legs
« on: March 22, 2009, 01:48:53 AM »
Do you guys train legs with higher reps than everything else?  I always have because legs are so much stronger and durable than all other muscle groups.  I mean you could run for an hour but you could never do biceps curls for an hour, even with 5lb weights. 

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: Training legs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:05:48 AM »
For the most part, yes.

Quads i keep between 10-20 reps

I keep the reps lower for hammies though, between 6-12

Calves between 8-20
No doubt about it...

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 09:37:13 AM »
I wouldn't say there are any rules, just try different rep ranges for each muscle and see both how you respond and how it effects you in terms of injury risk, since lower reps and higher weights can lead to injury. You'll definitely gain size on any muscle on any range from moderate 6-12 to higher 12-20, as long as you add weight or increase reps/weight over a period of time.

One advantage to keeping the reps at least 10 or higher is that it reduces the risk of injury. That helps alot on leg work where the strains on the joints are higher due to higher weights used.

Also i think it's better to keep the rest between sets 1-2 minutes tops, because that will ensure that the area worked stays warm, thereby reducing injury risk. Not only that, it's more mentally involving to keep the pump and metabolism going.

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:54:10 PM »

One advantage to keeping the reps at least 10 or higher is that it reduces the risk of injury. That helps alot on leg work where the strains on the joints are higher due to higher weights used.

Pumpster i was thinking about this in the gym just the other day.

I alternate workouts bewten heavy/low rep one week, moderate weight/20 reps the next week.

On my my heavy weeks the joints are under greater stress but for less time. On the lighter weeks their under less stress but for far longer duration.

I'd be interested you hear your take on this.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »

On my my heavy weeks the joints are under greater stress but for less time. On the lighter weeks their under less stress but for far longer duration.

I've never thought that the duration has much adverse effect, it's the amount of pressure from the higher weights that the muscles can handle but the joints and tissues can't. Maybe you find differently but that's my take. Duration is thought by some to muscle development, ie TUT/time under tension during a set that the muscle's subjected to, but it's not a factor in terms of injury from my experience.

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
quads-15,12,10,8 same for hams.
I am a big baby

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 09:36:11 PM »
It all works, I've gotten good gains from sets of 4-5 on front squats, but usually train at around 20 reps for legs.  Switch it up occasionally.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 10:17:44 PM »
crazy thing for me is i get good gains form both... i think... but my back starts to hurt when i go for high reps when i go heavy my body handles the weight pretty well

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »
Squats I typically keep in the 6-8 range.  All other quad work (leg press, extensions etc) I keep in the 12-15 rep range.

gearsgears

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 06:56:48 AM »
I can never push them too hard...I always feel sick and can never really get through my leg work out... Anyone experiencing the same problem? How can I avoid that?

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 08:39:17 AM »
I can never push them too hard...I always feel sick and can never really get through my leg work out... Anyone experiencing the same problem? How can I avoid that?
Manup!
I am a big baby

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:36:50 PM »
let your balls drop.. do some cardio and get in shape...

gearsgears

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 07:49:54 AM »
Yeh yeh Whateva. I'm in pretty good shape thank you very much. Puking after leg workouts negate the need for Cardio  ;)

Oaf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 09:29:49 AM »

Alot of that can be caused by poor breathing. Focus on inhaling and exhaling at the correct parts of the rep and you should find you feel a lot better.

I used to have the same problem, I could barely finish a leg workout. I felt sick since focusing on breathing. I can train harder now.