Author Topic: Vince Gironda-Drag Curls  (Read 2250 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Vince Gironda-Drag Curls
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
This was posted on the main boards not too long ago.  I just wanted to hear some people comment on these.

Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Vince Gironda-Drag Curls
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 12:11:20 PM »
She is dopey and never listens, keeps doing standard curls. Very rare to see any video let alone audio on him. He started training people and actors wanting to get in shape for roles way before it was in vogue, in the late 1940s, and popularized the preacher bench.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:30:57 PM »
Eh, I've tried them a couple of times.......not really interested in dragging a shitload of weight up/down my body and I found it to be weird on my elbows, discomforting.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 03:24:44 PM »
He should have just showed her by doing the movement himself.
Then have her do it the right way while providing commentary.

The gamete of expressions that run across the girl’s face is hilarious.
At first she’s confused, then determined, then frustrated, and then just laughs as if to say, "WTF is the point?"

Cap,
I’ve tried these with mixed feelings.
I never learned from a book or video – someone years ago showed me and described the movement as “pulling” the bar against your body throughout the ROM.
Initially, I focused too much on the elbows and pulling the bar in.

Now I just think of it as doing a BB curl with the bar brushing lightly against (not “into”) the body. The tips at the end of the clip also mention this. Man, I wish I’d seen this footage back then.

Done this way, your elbows and everything else will end up where they need to be and you’ll have done an honest to goodness drag curl.

As far as effectiveness, I’ve never stuck with them consistently long enough to gauge their worth.
But for something to add periodically to change up monotony, stagnation, etc. sure, why not?

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:38:33 AM »
Awesome awesome exercise, I recommend Vince's Spider curls and the perfect curl as well.  The perfect curl is especially good when training with heavier weights.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:22:20 AM »
Remembering talking to the old guy's who were around about that time and the stories about  Vince's Ventura Blvd gym, he probably nailed that girl before and after the video clip was shot. Even at his older age in the vid. And probably upstairs.

Spider curls are indeed grea, unusual stretch. The drag curl seems to give trouble to some with larger/deeper chest I have heard. But if you can master it, than great for you because it directs truer function to the biceps.

There are Gironda training booklets (very thin, few pages) sold on the internet. Good investment in training knowledge. His version of Sissy Squats and avoiding regular squats, delts, dips, etc are interesting. Stuff for pure old style BB'ing fan's. Good Luck.
F

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 04:11:34 PM »
I tried them a few times, but they always felt weird.  Might give them a go again some day though, doesn't hurt to try something different.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 05:34:28 PM »
Remembering talking to the old guy's who were around about that time and the stories about  Vince's Ventura Blvd gym, he probably nailed that girl before and after the video clip was shot. Even at his older age in the vid. And probably upstairs.

At his age, they were either partial reps, or he was a hell of a man.
 :D