Author Topic: Afghan Law That Legalizes Rape Poses Problem for Obama and Clinton  (Read 12461 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Where exactly is the controversy?  The State Department is "reviewing" the law?  What the heck?   ???  Bunch of cavemen. 

Afghan Law That Legalizes Rape Poses Problem for Obama and Clinton

Obama administration officials are struggling to respond to the recent signing of a law in Afghanistan that critics say gives Shiite men the legal right to rape their wives.

By Kelley Beaucar Vlahos
FOXNews.com
Saturday, April 04, 2009

WASHINGTON -- As first lady, senator and then Democratic candidate for president, Hillary Clinton was vocal in her fight for the rights of women in Afghanistan.

But, as President Obama's secretary of state, Clinton now finds herself in the uncomfortable position of watching as the U.S.-backed Afghan president signs a law that critics say gives Shiite men the right to rape their wives.

International criticism pressure forced President Hamid Karzai to say Saturday that the law is under review, and he has spoken to Clinton about it.

The developments come as Obama seeks NATO support in Europe for his plan to ramp up the war against terrorists in Afghanistan. Back at home in Washington, administration officials have struggled this week with how to respond to Karzai's signing of the so-called Shia Family Law without debate in the Afghan parliament. The law's most controversial provisions address sexual intercourse in marriage.

"As long as the husband is not traveling, he has the right to have sexual intercourse with his wife every fourth night," Article 132 of the law says. "Unless the wife is ill or has any kind of illness that intercourse could aggravate, the wife is bound to give a positive response to the sexual desires of her husband."

Such a law runs contrary to the stated goals of the U.S. mission in Afghanistan -- to pursue human rights and to help liberate women from religious oppression. It is a cause that has been championed by previous administrations, and particularly by previous first ladies.

The details of the law surfaced this week, just days after one of those former first ladies, Clinton, told the International Conference on Afghanistan at The Hague, Netherlands: "Women's rights are a central part of American foreign policy in the Obama administration; they are not marginal; they are not an add-on or an afterthought."

State Department spokesman Robert Wood said Thursday that officials were "reviewing the legislation." He suggested that its legality might be in question.

"We urge President Karzai to review the law's legal status to correct provisions of the law that ... limit or restrict women's rights," Wood said. He added that "President Karzai is well aware of our views with regard to this legislation."

Karzai said Saturday that "measures will be taken," though it is unclear what changes, if any, he has in mind. He said he hadn't seen "any problems" with the law when he previously studied it.

Afghanistan's constitution, which was passed in 2004, calls for equal rights for all men and women. But the constitution also says that no law can contradict the laws of Islam. And in situations where the constitution lacks provisions, courts are allowed to use Islamic law, which critics say does not allow for equal rights.

Reports suggest Karzai pushed through the law on behalf of powerful fundamentalist Shiite leaders, whose support he needs ahead of his country's August elections. The law will affect only Shiites, estimated by various sources to be between 10 and 30 percent of the population. The law will not affect Afghanistan's Sunni majority.

In a written statement, the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), said the law "legalizes the rape of a wife by her husband.... The law violates women's rights and human rights in numerous ways."

The law also has drawn fire from women in the Afghan parliament, as well as groups inside and outside Afghanistan, who say it rolls back the gains they made after the U.S. military ousted the Taliban government in 2002.

"All the efforts that were made in the last seven years to enhance women's rights will be undermined," said Afghan lawmaker Fawzia Kufi.

"This law comes as very little surprise to me. It is literally the price we've paid for dealing with fundamentalists," said Sonali Kolhatkar, who co-directs the Afghan Women's Mission in the U.S.

"In order to build a robust civil society in Afghanistan we need to push and pull the Afghans on basic human rights," said Ann Marlowe, an American author who has reported frequently from Afghanistan. She has said Karzai is not "at heart a supporter of women's rights."

Seven years into the war in Afghanistan, the Taliban is clinging to power in swaths of the country and in neighboring Pakistan, and Obama administration officials acknowledge that women are still struggling against violence, illiteracy and poverty. But many believe the U.S. will have to negotiate with Islamist warlords -- or perhaps even the Taliban -- to achieve political or military success.

"The contradiction between political rhetoric and policy reality has often been the American way," columnist Marie Cocco wrote for RealClearPolitics.com. "But now we have Hillary Rodham Clinton as secretary of state. When she was first lady, she championed the rights of women oppressed by the Taliban long before most Americans had ever heard of that radical regime."

David Isby, the Washington-based author of several books on Afghanistan, says it should be no surprise that Shiite fundamentalist leaders want this new law, and that Karzai, seeking re-election, would grant it. He says there was an inherent conflict in trying to impose Western values on the Muslim nation to begin with. As for negotiating with fundamentalists, he said, "If they talked with only people we approve of, you would have six Afghans to work with."

But critics like Marlowe and Kolhatkar aren't buying it. They say there are plenty of progressive Afghans who are unhappy about the shifting tide but never get a seat at the table. They say the Obama administration must be steadfast in its position that Afghanistan needs to honor human rights.

Said Kolhatkar: "Any real power deals done between the U.S. and these forces, neither option really works for women. Women are constantly being subordinated."

"Certainly it is a wonderful thing to champion women's rights," said Kolhatkar, "but put your money where your mouth is."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/04/03/obama-administration-struggles-afghan-law-legalize-rape/

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Re: Afghan Law That Legalizes Rape Poses Problem for Obama and Clinton
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
There is no such thing as RAPING YOUR WIFE....

More american games/lies to demonize other nations...
C

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »
There is no such thing as RAPING YOUR WIFE....

More american games/lies to demonize other nations...

Are you serious? 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:05:50 PM »
The timing of this is suspect in my opinion. This law comes out while more and more American troops are getting pumped into the country. This story makes people want to see the country get pummeled with no objection to  war.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 12:07:39 PM »
the timing of this is suspect in my opinion. This law comes out while more and more tropps are getting pumped into the country. This story makes people want to see the country get pummeled with no objection to  war.

You hit it perfectly on the head Bindare...sadly Beach Bum has no clue
C

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »
Are you serious? 

YES I AM SERIOUS...How the HELL can you RAPE YOUR WIFE????

You wanna see rape...ask a well off american man what happens to him when he divorces the tramp he married. THough the whore never worked a day in her life somehow she is entitled to half of what he busted his ass for all of his life???
NOW THAT IS TRULY RAPE!!!!!

C

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:21:36 PM »
The timing of this is suspect in my opinion. This law comes out while more and more American troops are getting pumped into the country. This story makes people want to see the country get pummeled with no objection to  war.

Could be.
I hate the State.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:22:58 PM »

I don't understand what you're getting at? If you have forcable sex with an unwilling person, including a wife, that is rape.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:24:06 PM »
I don't understand what you're getting at? If you have forcable sex with an unwilling person, including a wife, that is rape.

Agreed.

Hey, I always wanted to know: what does your name mean?
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »

You wanna see rape...ask a well off american man what happens to him when he divorces the tramp he married. THough the whore never worked a day in her life somehow she is entitled to half of what he busted his ass for all of his life???
NOW THAT IS TRULY RAPE!!!!!

You're an idiot.  And I don't say that often on this board.  

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
I swear there are states in America where it wasn't considered rape if people were married up until very recently.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »

It is called the DUTIES OF MARRIAGE... meaning like it or not there are times you have to perform the functions of marriage regardless of whether or not you like it. How many husbands would like to say to their boss KISS MY ASS and quit their jobs??? Plenty, but they don't becasue they realize they have a family to support...it is a part of the duties of a husband. Now in all honesty how much sex is a man getting from his wife? Is it so terrible or so long that she can not tolerate it? Women think and try to control a relationship/husband by exercising such antics...funny though...as soon as that husband goes after another woman the wife all of a sudden has a change of heart on the matter and greats him with open arms (and legs) any day he desires. IMO since she can not or does not want to perform the duties of marriage...then put her out and let her find someone else. And when she leaves she leaves with only what she brought...which in the case of Afghanistan, IS NOTHING!!!!!

Wanna see the divorce rate plummet in america...put into law that a woman can only take from the marriage what she absolutely brought into it....divorece wold go down to practically ZERO OVERNIGHT.
C

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »
I swear there are states in America where it wasn't considered rape if people were married up until very recently.

No states considered it rape until the lesbian controlled national organization of women became involved and introduced this nonsense of a husband RAPING HIS WIFE...WTF??? The goal of NOW is to break up marriages anyway and hopefully change the wife to a lesbian. Give me a break...

C

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 12:42:12 PM »
Agreed.

Hey, I always wanted to know: what does your name mean?

Nothing really, just a joke on some guy I used to work with.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »
It is called the DUTIES OF MARRIAGE... meaning like it or not there are times you have to perform the functions of marriage regardless of whether or not you like it. How many husbands would like to say to their boss KISS MY ASS and quit their jobs??? Plenty, but they don't becasue they realize they have a family to support...it is a part of the duties of a husband. Now in all honesty how much sex is a man getting from his wife? Is it so terrible or so long that she can not tolerate it? Women think and try to control a relationship/husband by exercising such antics...funny though...as soon as that husband goes after another woman the wife all of a sudden has a change of heart on the matter and greats him with open arms (and legs) any day he desires. IMO since she can not or does not want to perform the duties of marriage...then put her out and let her find someone else. And when she leaves she leaves with only what she brought...which in the case of Afghanistan, IS NOTHING!!!!!

Wanna see the divorce rate plummet in america...put into law that a woman can only take from the marriage what she absolutely brought into it....divorece wold go down to practically ZERO OVERNIGHT.

Where do you live?

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »
Samson you have officially surpassed Matt T as the dumbest member of getbig. Rape is rape. In America husbands have been prosecuted for raping their wives on numerous occasions. If your wife doesnt want to have sex with her, you think its ok to force yourself on her?

The more you post, the more I suspect your muslim.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »

Wrong, it is mostly women filing for divorce trying to milk their husbands for all they are worth...
I hate the State.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 02:28:20 PM »
If your wife doesnt want to have sex with her, you think its ok to force yourself on her?

No woman should refuse lesbian sex for the pleasure of her man.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 02:34:50 PM »

Samson you have officially surpassed Matt T as the dumbest member of getbig. Rape is rape. In America husbands have been prosecuted for raping their wives on numerous occasions. If your wife doesnt want to have sex with her, you think its ok to force yourself on her?

The more you post, the more I suspect your muslim.

Actually, He makes a valid point about "duties of marriage".

You know that you can file for divorce based upon "unable to form spousal duties"... Ie... refusing to have sex. That is only very recent... There was a time up until VERY recently... like the late 70s / 80s where you legally could not rape your wife... It wasn't possible.

Laws have changed since then, but in reality... SAMSON is correct.

A man takes care of the family and does whatever he's supposed to do, just for some chick to say she doesn't want any and then files for divorce and takes his money.

The system in the US when it comes to divorce and women is a sham... They want equal rights, but when they underperform, they expect a man to make up for it.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »

You know that you can file for divorce based upon "unable to form spousal duties"... Ie... refusing to have sex. That is only very recent... There was a time up until VERY recently... like the late 70s / 80s where you legally could not rape your wife... It wasn't possible.

A man takes care of the family and does whatever he's supposed to do, just for some chick to say she doesn't want any and then files for divorce and takes his money.

The system in the US when it comes to divorce and women is a sham... They want equal rights, but when they underperform, they expect a man to make up for it.

totally agree and not just in marriage in general women want equal rights but still want the benefits of not being equal at the same time...However that still doesnt mean that rape cant exist in marriage  ::) forcing yourself on someone is rape whether they are married or not.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 02:47:30 PM »
totally agree and not just in marriage in general women want equal rights but still want the benefits of not being equal at the same time...However that still doesnt mean that rape cant exist in marriage  ::) forcing yourself on someone is rape whether they are married or not.

It can... TODAY.

30 years ago it couldn't... RAPE is a law... Forcing sex upon a spouse wasn't considered "rape" 30 years ago... It's just the way it was.

Remember... women were property until not that long ago so to speak... You can't commit rape on your property.

It's yours... you can do what you want with it.

I'm not talking about whether or not it's morally right or wrong... I'm simply saying that rape in and of itself is a law... nothing more.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »

It works both ways.

For every case of a gold-digging lazy woman, bilking a man of his $$$$$ via a divorce settlement, you can find far more cases of a selfish, whore-mongering man who dumps his wife and mother of his kids, to run off with his secretary or some other younger female.

Should she be left with nothing, because her husband broke the marriage vows?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 02:53:45 PM »
As for this rape law, when is Obama going to get it through his skull, that his fancy talk don't impress the Taliban (or any other terrorist group, for that matter)?

He's going to have to put some muscle behind his rhetoric if he and Clinton really want to help those women in Afghanistan.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
It works both ways.

For every case of a gold-digging lazy woman, bilking a man of his $$$$$ via a divorce settlement, you can find far more cases of a selfish, whore-mongering man who dumps his wife and mother of his kids, to run off with his secretary or some other younger female.

Really? When the hell has that happened?

You watch too much Lifetime television.

Trust me... It's not the case. 95% of all divorces are a decent guy getting fucked by the system.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 02:57:31 PM »
It works both ways.

Yeah and we hear this propaganda way too often; fact is, women have EVERY advantage when it comes to divorce and marriage; read this book.

http://www.imprint.co.uk/books/TWR.html

I hate the State.