Author Topic: anyone using max-ot?  (Read 3002 times)

Yev33

• Getbig III
anyone using max-ot?
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:35:36 PM »
I've been doing max-ot for the last 12 weeks and the progress has been very surprising. I got stronger in all of my lifts and put on almost 10 lbs of muscle. I was stuck at a plateou for almost a year and was able to blast right through it. I tried it before and my joints would bother me, so i came up with a different warm up technique and now i have no problems. I was wondering if anyone tried it and what they did on their first week back after a recovery week. I took a full week off three weeks ago and came back full force but I think it may have been too much. Even though I got stronger I felt tired and my body would ache. I've read that you are supposed to do a cruising week after coming back after a week lay-off but the max-ot pdf file says nothing about it. Has anyone tried it, and how heavy did you go compared to your last work week percentage wise?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: anyone using max-ot?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:11:13 AM »
I've tried max-ot, not sure of the percentages buy my strength did go up.  I don't always do it, I usually will alternate between max and a traditional workout.  Max-Ot did real good for stuff like chest.  I am probably gonna go back to it in a couple weeks.  Maybe change every six weeks or so. 

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
Personally i think that it's an awesome program. But I think that even though the PDF file is really long it really leaves out some critical details. For example the warm up sequence gives only one example for only one excercise, and the concept that you don't have to warm up and or acclimate for consecutive movements is dangerous. For example going from bench press to db press is scary when going that heavy without a warm up. I think that it would be great if people can share their expiriences and talk about some of the problems they have had and how the dealt with them.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »
its useless without a dedicated partner  :-[

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:27:55 PM »
A training partner is a big plus, but I don't have one and the only time you really need one is for bench press/incline press. The program advises against forced reps, but having someone spot you when your doing your heaviest sets on bb chest presses is always good. I've gotten pretty good about being able to tell whether or not I have another full rep in me.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:49:46 PM »
A training partner is a big plus, but I don't have one and the only time you really need one is for bench press/incline press. The program advises against forced reps, but having someone spot you when your doing your heaviest sets on bb chest presses is always good. I've gotten pretty good about being able to tell whether or not I have another full rep in me.

oops your right i confused max-ot with heavy duty

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:23:54 PM »
Max OT is great. I have used it a few times all the way through and love it every time. All I know is I get leaner and lift more weight when I use it compared to a typical BBing workout. Joints feel better and I break plateaus everytime. Doesnt work forever so I go 10-12 weeks when I can. I will use it this summer for sure (no time right now). I also noticed the best results when working out in the AM.

The first time I used it I couldnt break 300lbs on bench and by the end I could do 315 for a few. I was hitting 275 for a couple reps before it, for probably 6 months? Then I found PL form and it jumped real fast again. ;D

My DL went from ~500 to 585.

Squat from ~455 to 545.

Military went up to 225 from 185 IIRC.

I recommend it to anyone getting stagnant in their routine because its easy to follow and the online text tells them a lot of good little tips. Most people wouldnt know where to start so having it all laid out is a real help. Plus, who wants to make their own program everytime they change?

Anyway....I like it. ;D

weightroomguy

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 05:23:24 PM »
Yeah I've used max-ot too. It was the first structured training program I followed and benefited immensely from it. Good luck :).

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 10:29:35 PM »
Max OT is great. I have used it a few times all the way through and love it every time. All I know is I get leaner and lift more weight when I use it compared to a typical BBing workout. Joints feel better and I break plateaus everytime. Doesnt work forever so I go 10-12 weeks when I can. I will use it this summer for sure (no time right now). I also noticed the best results when working out in the AM.

The first time I used it I couldnt break 300lbs on bench and by the end I could do 315 for a few. I was hitting 275 for a couple reps before it, for probably 6 months? Then I found PL form and it jumped real fast again. ;D

My DL went from ~500 to 585.

Squat from ~455 to 545.

Military went up to 225 from 185 IIRC.

I recommend it to anyone getting stagnant in their routine because its easy to follow and the online text tells them a lot of good little tips. Most people wouldnt know where to start so having it all laid out is a real help. Plus, who wants to make their own program everytime they change?

Anyway....I like it. ;D

This is exactly what im talking about. It's a great program but there are some details that we have to figure out on our own. Like for example when to cycle off of it and for how long. Also what type of program to cycle off to. I've heard of people cycling off max-ot and doing dc for a little and then coming back to max-ot even stronger. There are also other exercises that can be very effective in the max-ot format that arent included in the PDF file. Like front squats, which are pretty much perfect for the max-ot rep range. I've also found that reverse grip bb rows don't really work that well for me when going that heavy due to the strain on the wrists.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 09:23:36 AM »
Just started checking out this routine.

One thing that's not clear is the amount of weight per set.

For example, the program calls for 3 sets of 4 to 6 reps.

Are you using more weight on your second and third sets than your first?

Or, are you sticking with the same weight for all three sets?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 10:23:14 AM »
You use a weight that you can get at least 4 reps with, no more than 6. If you can do more than 6, you must up the weight. If you cant get to 4 reps, lower the weight. It will take a little figuring out at first, as far as reps/weight goes. If you must change the weight to get the desired reps, between sets, do it. Good luck!

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
Thanks.

Crider

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:41:54 AM »
I went and looked this one up after you mentioned it.  Looks like it could be very beneficial so I'm going to try and incorporate it soon.  Thanks for bringing it up.