Author Topic: Abdominal pain  (Read 4612 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Abdominal pain
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:39:13 PM »
My pain started about a month ago.  It's in the lower ab, basically in the pubic area with a slight pain also near the hip.  I can't tell if it's a hip injury and it's radiating out or vice versa.  The first set of ab work is a bit of strain and after my abs are warmed up I don't really notice it. 

My first thought was hernia but it didn't balloon up the way I heard they do.  No noticeable swelling or anything like that.
Squishy face retard

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: Abdominal pain
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
Cap you may want to check out this site....and scroll down to the table.

Check out the Osteitis Pubis (as well as the other stuff)

http://www.aafp.org/afp/991015ap/1687.html
R

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:01:03 PM »
What is osteitis pubis?

Osteitis pubis, also known as pubic symphysitis, is pain and inflammation at the pubic symphysis. The pubic symphysis is where the right and left pubic bones meet. Your pubic bones are a part of the pelvis at your lower abdomen and groin.

How does it occur?

Osteitis pubis usually occurs from activities that you do often and repeat the same movement over and over, such as running or jumping.

What are the symptoms?

The most common symptom is pain directly over the pubic symphysis. The pain may begin gradually and may sometimes move to different places along the groin and pelvis. You may have pain in the groin, at the muscles that attach to the pelvis, and at the pubic bone.

How is it diagnosed?

Your health care provider will ask about your symptoms and examine you. You may have tenderness at your pubic bone or at the muscles that attach to the pubic bone. You may have an x-ray. Sometimes scans such as a bone scan or an MRI are needed to check for irritation at the pubic symphysis.

How is it treated?

This problem requires rest until the symptoms go away. If running causes pain, you should swim or bicycle instead. You may need to rest from all activities. Participating in activities that cause pain will mean that healing will take longer. Sometimes it takes 2 to 3 months or longer for symptoms to go away. Anti-inflammatory medicines (such as ibuprofen) and putting an ice pack on the area for 20 to 30 minutes 3 to 4 times a day will help. Osteitis pubis requires more rest than rehabilitation and most of all requires patience.

How long will the effects last?

The pain from osteitis pubis may take months to completely go away.

When can I return to my normal activities?

Everyone recovers from an injury at a different rate. Return to your activities will be determined by how soon you recover, not by how many days or weeks it has been since your injury has occurred. In general, the longer you have symptoms before you start treatment, the longer it will take to get better. The goal of rehabilitation is to return you to your normal activities as soon as is safely possible. If you return too soon you may worsen your injury.

You may safely return to your activities when, starting from the top of the list and progressing to the end, each of the following is true:

You do not have any pain or tenderness over the pubic bone.

You can walk straight ahead without pain or limping.

Written by Pierre Rouzier, MD.

Cap if this doesn't sound like what you have can we get more symptoms please?  Thanks.
R

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Pretty spot on.  Sounds like RIICE is the answer.  Thanks Stella.  If it doesn't go away after awhile then I'll worry...more.   ;D
Squishy face retard

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
Pretty spot on.  Sounds like RIICE is the answer.  Thanks Stella.  If it doesn't go away after awhile then I'll worry...more.   ;D
Get well soon :)
R