Author Topic: Need help  (Read 6932 times)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Need help
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:36:53 AM »
Ok here is the thing.  I lost my doggie a few years ago and am thinking of getting a new one.  Now, I need to fence in my back yard.  Just trying to decide which type of puppy to get.  I used to have a miniature spitz.  I was thinking about a larger dog.  Not sure.  It would be a mostly indoor dog.  So prefer not a huge shedder.  I will say this, no poodles, shit szu or yap yap dogs.  I still think one of those shiba inu's would be cool.  I have no kids, so i don't mind a breed that would eat kids (kidding), any ideas?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »
  Great Dane!!   :D

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 05:21:41 PM »
um no.  Even though are fun and doppy.  I want something that has a longer life expectancy that 7-8 years.  I had my dog for 17.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 08:23:56 PM »
You're either going to deal with shedding or grooming (ie:regular clipping appts.), so decide which it will be.   A mini Aussie mix would be great, BUT they need a lot of exercise (mental & physical).  Sheba's are a nice size.  Do some research on their personality tendencies.  Are you open to a mixed breed?
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 08:39:22 PM »

Manchester Terrier

Breed Group:   Terrier
Weight:  12-22 lbs
Height:  15-16 inches
Color(s):  black and tan, with a black
Coat:  The Manchester Terrier has a short, dense, glossy, smooth, and tight fitting coat. The color of the coat is jet black with mahogany tan markings. This breed, depending on variety, is either an average shedder or sheds little to no hair.
Overview:  The Manchester Terrier comes in two varieties: Standard and Toy. They were developed in England during the 19th century as vermin hunters. The Toy variety became popular during Queen Victorias reign. Today, the popularity of the Manchester Terrier has diminished although this breed makes a lovely companion and has retained their working capabilities
Character:  Compact, agile, and small, the Manchester Terrier is alert and athletic. They are quite lively, vigilant, and very intelligent. This breed is elegant, graceful, and has a keen expression. They are well-mannered and more responsive than some of the other Terrier breeds.
Temperament:  The Manchester Terrier is exceedingly loyal and a devoted friend to master and family. They display the true Terrier nature, are independent, and faithful. They do best in a home with older considerate children, and are not recommended in homes with other household pets. This breed has a tendency to be combative, headstrong, protective, and snappish. Manchester Terriers thrive on human companionship and are very demanding of attention from their family. They do not do well if left alone for extended periods of time or they will become bored, hyper, destructive, and bark excessively.
Care:  This breed requires minimal grooming. Occasional brushing will minimize loose hair. It is important to check and clean the ears and teeth on a consistent basis. The Manchester Terrier is prone to cataracts, epilepsy, glaucoma, Legg-Calve-Perthes disease, patella luxation, and Von Willebrands disease. This breed prefers warm climates but should not be left in the sun for any length of time.
Training:  Early and intense socialization and obedience are absolutely crucial for the Manchester Terrier. They are eager to please and quick to learn. This breed does not respond to harsh or heavy-handed training methods or corrective discipline. They do best with thorough firmness, fairness, consistency, persistence, respect, and patience. The Manchester Terrier excels in agility and obedience trials.
Activity:  This highly energetic breed needs an inordinate amount of vigorous exercise. They enjoy frequent securely leashed walks as well as safely fenced off lead play sessions where they are able to romp and run freely. It is imperative that this breed be supervised at all times as they are expert escape artists. The Manchester Terrier will do okay in an apartment dwelling provided that their excessive barking is controlled and they are given sufficient exercise, stimulation, and attention.
Ownership: If you are looking for Manchester Terrier puppies for sale from reputable Manchester Terrier breeders or to adopt a  Manchester Terrier from a Manchester Terrier rescue then make sure you understand as much about the dog breeds you are interested in as you can. Every puppy breed is different. Begin your research by reading the breed information about the Manchester Terrier puppy above. Search our dog breeds section to find Manchester Terrier puppies, dogs and puppies that make great pets.
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 08:53:42 PM »
You're either going to deal with shedding or grooming (ie:regular clipping appts.), so decide which it will be.   A mini Aussie mix would be great, BUT they need a lot of exercise (mental & physical).  Sheba's are a nice size.  Do some research on their personality tendencies.  Are you open to a mixed breed?

i used to brush my dog every 2 days.  It felt like i was shearing a sheep in summer.  But i didn't mind it.  I'm not taking my dog to frequent clipping appointments.  I don't mind mixed breeds. 

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »
any awesome lazy ass dogs that are cool?  I guess if anything these hyper ass ones will get me into shape lol.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »
i used to brush my dog every 2 days.  It felt like i was shearing a sheep in summer.  But i didn't mind it.  I'm not taking my dog to frequent clipping appointments.  I don't mind mixed breeds. 

So that eliminates breeds that have hair like poodle, shitsu, bischon, westie, etc.  Not that you'd be interested in those anyway, but you get the idea.  What about a miniature sheltie?  Kinda like a miniature collie.
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 09:21:27 PM »
not sure.  I was thinking originally getting a german shepard, or retreiver, lab.  But i know they all have certain issues.  I was thinking about something that is on the medium + size.  yeah the ones you listed are no goes lol.  shitzu are annoing as hell.  someone i know has one.  poodles are gay, even the big ones.  australian collies are cool.  They need a ton of exercise so maybe i could get a treadmill lol. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:32:40 AM »
Well, you can't go wrong with one of these.... ;D

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »
he's a good looking pup!  Is he a mix?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »
I know a guy that swears by them wrinkly assed Chinese dogs. If that's your thing.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 07:09:53 PM »
I know a guy that swears by them wrinkly assed Chinese dogs. If that's your thing.

which ones?  doesn't sound cool, lol

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 07:13:38 PM »
Sharpei

Adorable!

This is a getbig members but I forgot which one:

R

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 07:15:33 PM »
Shar Peis

I guess they are a good medium/large dog with short hair. Guy I know is going to buy one this weekend actually. He just put his down after 13 years.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »
rofl its a fat wrinkle.  kinda cool though.  any issues?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »
rofl its a fat wrinkle.  kinda cool though.  any issues?
I dunno alot about them, my buddy had his and it seemed to obey and pay attention to him really well.

Very friendly.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 07:35:07 PM »
i'm going to google them and see what they are about.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 01:44:15 PM »
pretty good characteristics.  I'm glad they don't suffer too many skin issues with all the wrinkle.s  the only thing is they don't tolerate heat well.  Not sure how good they would be in atlanta summers.  High heat and muggy.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2009, 02:38:50 PM »
pretty good characteristics.  I'm glad they don't suffer too many skin issues with all the wrinkle.s  the only thing is they don't tolerate heat well.  Not sure how good they would be in atlanta summers.  High heat and muggy.
I'm in SoCal, not as muggy but it can be pretty hot. I think if you allow them indoors during the hottest part of the day you won't have any issues.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2009, 04:29:54 PM »
I'm in SoCal, not as muggy but it can be pretty hot. I think if you allow them indoors during the hottest part of the day you won't have any issues.

ok pretty cool.  I was curious.  neat looking dogs.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 04:31:04 PM »
he's a good looking pup!  Is he a mix?

No he's a purebred...here he is all grown up:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »
haha, great expression on his face.  great looking dog

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 07:43:12 AM »
haha, great expression on his face.  great looking dog

Thanks.  He just won a best in breed.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »
nice.  He would seem like a fun dog to wrestle around and play in the yard with.