Author Topic: Gloves in WSM competition?  (Read 4337 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Gloves in WSM competition?
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:09:03 AM »
I was watching WSM yesterday... and after one of the events Kaz interviewed one of the competitors and asked him to show off his hands.  The flesh in the palm of his hands was torn, cut up, and bloodied--bad!  The guy said this is what happens to you in these events and laughed it off.  Then I realized that I have never seen guys wearing gloves in these competitions.  Aren't they allowed to wear cloves?  Why don't they wear them?  I know when I train, I can always lift a little more while wearing gloves than without them, but officials can get over the unfair advantage argument by issuing the same style/brand of gloves to everyone at the same competition.

Given the punishment these guys go through with the various events, I would think gloves would be essential.  So, why don't they wear them?  Anyone know?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Gloves in WSM competition?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 09:49:21 AM »
I actually have always been able to lift more without gloves iono maybe i never gave gloves a decent chance.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 10:29:18 AM »
Gloves effectively increase the diameter of the bar. Therefore make it more difficult to grip and lift. Maybe not so much a problem in olympic bars, but when you're trying to lift an axle like in strongman every mm counts! I'd also guess there is a rule in the competition about gloves.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
Gloves effectively increase the diameter of the bar. Therefore make it more difficult to grip and lift. Maybe not so much a problem in olympic bars, but when you're trying to lift an axle like in strongman every mm counts! I'd also guess there is a rule in the competition about gloves.

More difficult than having torn up and bloody hands for the next series of events?   ???

I couldn't find any mention of rules or gloves on their website. http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/wsm/index.html

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 01:35:45 PM »
More difficult than having torn up and bloody hands for the next series of events?   ???

I couldn't find any mention of rules or gloves on their website. http://www.theworldsstrongestman.com/wsm/index.html

You have a point, personally I prefer lifting without gloves. Feels more secure or something

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
The only event I have witnessed the use of gloves in is the Finagal Fingers (Terry Hollands uses grip gloves) and pressing events back in the day.

No rules against it but it does hurt your grip. You would hate to lose a couple reps on an event just because you had to grip harder in previous reps due to thickness/lack of friction of the gloves.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 04:31:42 PM »
You have a point, personally I prefer lifting without gloves. Feels more secure or something
I feel the same way, iono maybe something like i can feel the bar moving if it starts to move iono

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:01:40 AM »

Interesting.  I have trained with and without and I can definitely go heavier and for more reps with gloves.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
Interesting.  I have trained with and without and I can definitely go heavier and for more reps with gloves.

yeah....

but the real question is......

can you make it out of the locker room without your headband ?

Dropkick

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »
Never lifted with gloves, usually don't use anything but sometimes remember to take my chalk ball.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 06:54:04 PM »
Personally, I think it depends on the individual. When I competed in Strongman comps. I remember seeing some guys with torn up hands ... and some ( like myself ) without them. Other than the vehicle pull, I've never seen any of the competitors wear gloves. On a side note, however, one of the most stupidest things I'd ever seen as one of the shows was when the competitors would do their " odd " stone lifts without their shirts on ... there must have been 2-3 of them ... all cut up and covered in blood and tacky ... LOL ! To each his own, I guess.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 08:49:07 AM »

on what exercises? i've never encountered anyone who can handle more on deadlifts or rows wearing gloves. presses? maybe, if they've got wrist support.

Dropkick

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »
on what exercises? i've never encountered anyone who can handle more on deadlifts or rows wearing gloves. presses? maybe, if they've got wrist support.

I'm interested in this too (why does my post count say one when I posted before?).