Author Topic: Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens  (Read 14433 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2009, 07:52:25 AM »
another thing that can't be overlooked...

Gore's got the drug arrest when he was something like 30 years old, right?

Once a kid is an adult, they make their own decisions and are their own person.

When the child is under 18, it's a whole nother ballgame, as the parent lives wth them.  In palin's case, she was spending half her time at the state capital while all the drinking, school skipping, and unprotected intercourse was going on back at wasilla.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2009, 07:52:50 AM »
Hmmm,funny you didnt include Biden there.He is THE MOST ANTI-DRUG guy in the history of the United States senate.He is responsible for more anti-drug bullshit then any two senators ever and THE ENTIRE reason there is a drug czar and steroids being banned.Yet his kid turned out to be a coke head.

By the way,Al Gore was a HUGE anti-drug guy and often bragged how the Clinton administration spent more to stop drugs then any administration before it.So,you were wrong there.He was a strident anti drug anti tobacco advocate.

You see ,unlike you,I dont blame parents for every mistake a kid makes.Kids do what they will.Palin did her best,her kid took a wrong turn.Biden did his best his daughter took a wrong turn,Gore did his best,the kid did the wrong thing.You can only influence your kid so much.Did you do everything your parents told you to?I know I didnt.

And if Biden and Gore's kids paraded around telling the world to do as they say and not at they do then I'd mock them too.

I wonder why Bristol wasn't an "abstinence advocate" before she got knocked up.  Maybe she was too busy partying and having sex and not using condoms.  Oh well - kids will be kids

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2009, 07:54:02 AM »
another thing that can't be overlooked...

Gore's got the drug arrest when he was something like 30 years old, right?

Once a kid is an adult, they make their own decisions and are their own person.

When the child is under 18, it's a whole nother ballgame, as the parent lives wth them.  In palin's case, she was spending half her time at the state capital while all the drinking, school skipping, and unprotected intercourse was going on back at wasilla.

are you saying that shes a BAD parent?

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2009, 07:55:09 AM »
And if Biden and Gore's kids paraded around telling the world to do as they say and not at they do then I'd mock them too.

I wonder why Bristol wasn't an "abstinence advocate" before she got knocked up.  Maybe she was too busy partying and having sex and not using condoms.  Oh well - kids will be kids

guarantee you that bidens and gores kids tell people not to use drugs.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
they are an advocate of pro life and she took the responsibility of having the child and not killing it and calling it a day.   there are a lot of states that have laws in place where she could have had it "taken care of" without her parents ever knowing about it and this thread wouldn't exist.  are you going to give her credit for that?  well wait since shes associated with the GOP you're only going to bash her for what she did wrong.  and would you rather a person who never had sex preach on abstinence?  thats like having drug counselors at a rehab facility who never did drugs.  how the hell could any addict relate to that.  your point is not well thought out.  you're obviously just looking to bash a palin because shes a palin.

so you think that they shouldn't preach abstinence?  why?  do you think that they didn't use condoms?  of course they did.  but then they started having sex one day without one on.  and a whole new world opened up to them.   so thinking that you can teach your kids about safe sex and actually having them practice it is a long shot at best. 

and another thing.  no one ever brings this up but who seriously needs to be taught how to use a fuckin condom?  if you need to be taught how to use one you are mentally retarded and should't be having sex with anyone.  like the fuckin guy who reads the instructions on a box of pop tarts.  those are the kind of kids you're trusting to practice safe sex.  good luck man.

and even longer shot is thinking your kid won't have sex

condoms have a pretty high success rate when they are actually used and they have a prophylactic benefit too (hence the name) so all parents should tell their kid IF they can't abstain then be sure to use a condom. 

you know - just basic common sense

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2009, 08:09:05 AM »
and even longer shot is thinking your kid won't have sex

condoms have a pretty high success rate when they are actually used and they have a prophylactic too (hence the name) so all parents should tell their kid IF they can't abstain then be sure to use a condom. 

you know - just basic common sense

heres another shot of common sense for you.  your kid wont be responsible with condoms once he/she starts having sex.  if you deny that you're just naive.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »

I wonder why I haven't seen them on all over the morning tv shows trying to make a career out of their own personal failures?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »
heres another shot of common sense for you.  your kid wont be responsible with condoms once he/she starts having sex.  if you deny that you're just naive.

really ? so you're saying once kids have sex they won't actually have the willpower to use a condom to prevent pregnancy and disease but somehow they will have the willpower to actually not have sex

Aside from that I don't even agree with your premise.   I would guess that there are plenty of sexually active teens and adults who are smart enough to not fuck up their lives and do actually use condoms.   Maybe the reason we don't see them on TV is because they don't have kids or STD's.   The "dog that didn't bark" is not a very compelling story

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2009, 08:28:02 AM »
I wonder why I haven't seen them on all over the morning tv shows trying to make a career out of their own personal failures?

so u think that former drug addicts who speak out on the issue and former criminals who make a point to lead kids in a different direction are all just hypocrites who are tryin to make a buck?  or again are you just palin bashing because you feel that you can?  

look.  everyone makes mistakes.  if you sit around and demonize everyone who makes mistakes in life well you're just an asshole.  are you a parent?  i bet you're not otherwise you wouldnt be so quick to pick on another parent's kids and be an armchair qb to palins parenting job.  because when you become a parent you realize how hard a job that it is.  and for the record anyone who blames al gore for his kids indiscretions is an asshole too.  its easy to sit here and call public figures hypocrites when you're personal business is not discussed on an internet board for the whole world to see.  you can sit back and let everyone assume that you've NEVER done anything wrong.

im not saying that teaching kids about safe sex is a bad idea either.  i just jumped on here when i see posters ridiculing abstinence programs.  especially posters who dont have kids.  im not sitting here tellin people not to teach their kids safe sex.  i think everyone should.  but i also think abstinence is a good route as well.  in my personal opinion, a better route.  

i'll end with this.  as long as we have 2 people having sex who dont love eachother,  we will have unwanted pregnancies and a shitload of abortions.  neither of which is good for our kids.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:25 AM »

really - maybe they should contact Palins publicist because I've never seen either of them in the news on a daily basis talking about it

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »
really ? so you're saying once kids have sex they won't actually have the willpower to use a condom to prevent pregnancy and disease but somehow they will have the willpower to actually not have sex

Aside from that I don't even agree with your premise.   I would guess that there are plenty of sexually active teens and adults who are smart enough to not fuck up their lives and do actually use condoms.   Maybe the reason we don't see them on TV is because they don't have kids or STD's.   The "dog that didn't bark" is not a very compelling story

ever had sex without a condom?  are you married?

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2009, 08:34:27 AM »

Geeze ,40% of kids born in this country are born out of wedlock,70% of African Americans.Do you think all of them are religious nuts who were taught abstinance?My bet is the VAST MAJORITY were tught about condoms in school.Didnt seem to do much good.Were all those parents bad examples?

To 240.Al Gores kid was kicked out of high school for drugs.Too imply that this problem only surfaced at 30 is untrue.He has been in trouble from drugs since he was a teen.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2009, 08:34:50 AM »
so u think that former drug addicts who speak out on the issue and former criminals who make a point to lead kids in a different direction are all just hypocrites who are tryin to make a buck?  or again are you just palin bashing because you feel that you can?  

look.  everyone makes mistakes.  if you sit around and demonize everyone who makes mistakes in life well you're just an asshole.  are you a parent?  i bet you're not otherwise you wouldnt be so quick to pick on another parent's kids and be an armchair qb to palins parenting job.  because when you become a parent you realize how hard a job that it is.  and for the record anyone who blames al gore for his kids indiscretions is an asshole too.  its easy to sit here and call public figures hypocrites when you're personal business is not discussed on an internet board for the whole world to see.  you can sit back and let everyone assume that you've NEVER done anything wrong.

im not saying that teaching kids about safe sex is a bad idea either.  i just jumped on here when i see posters ridiculing abstinence programs.  especially posters who dont have kids.  im not sitting here tellin people not to teach their kids safe sex.  i think everyone should.  but i also think abstinence is a good route as well.  in my personal opinion, a better route.  

i'll end with this.  as long as we have 2 people having sex who dont love eachother,  we will have unwanted pregnancies and a shitload of abortions.  neither of which is good for our kids.

I think former drug addict criminals, etc.. are perfect examples of what not to do but I don't thing teen sexual activity is the same thing.

Most people can overcome the urge to use drugs (assuming they are not already addicted) or commiting a crime but the urge to have sex is overwhelming and a natural and normal part of life

I might have a shred of respect for Bristol Palin if she went back to her original statement on Fox news that abstinence is not realistic and at least say that if you can't abstain then at least use a frigging condom.   This abstinence only thing is just putting your head in the sand and ignoring the reality

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »

Aside from that I don't even agree with your premise.  I would guess that there are plenty of sexually active teens and adults who are smart enough to not fuck up their lives and do actually use condoms.   Maybe the reason we don't see them on TV is because they don't have kids or STD's.   The "dog that didn't bark" is not a very compelling story

1.5 - 2 million abortions per year in this country alone.  um yeah theres a whole lot if irresponsible ones out there.  and i guarantee you they all know what a condom is.  again im not the one ridiculing safe sex practices.  i agree that it should be taught.  you're the one who is so sure that abstinence programs dont work and safe sex education does.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2009, 08:38:37 AM »
Geeze ,40% of kids born in this country are born out of wedlock,70% of African Americans.Do you think all of them are religious nuts who were taught abstinance?My bet is the VAST MAJORITY were tught about condoms in school.Didnt seem to do much good.Were all those parents bad examples?
To 240.Al Gores kid was kicked out of high school for drugs.Too imply that this problem only surfaced at 30 is untrue.He has been in trouble from drugs since he was a teen.

I'd have no problem blaming the parents assuming your #'s are correct.  I suspect that a signficant portion of those out of wedlock births were to adults who probably have many/all kids out of wedlock.   No question that's a huge problem for our society

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2009, 08:42:23 AM »
1.5 - 2 million abortions per year in this country alone.  um yeah theres a whole lot if irresponsible ones out there.  and i guarantee you they all know what a condom is.  again im not the one ridiculing safe sex practices.  i agree that it should be taught.  you're the one who is so sure that abstinence programs dont work and safe sex education does.  

bear - there are plenty of recent studies that show "abstinence only" training (which we've spent hundreds of millions of dollar on) is a complete failure

those 1.5 to 2 million abortions could have been avoided if those people had just abstained.....no?

how about we all get real and teach abstinence and also a back up plan just in case the human will power actually fails.

Shit - we have an obesity problem in this country mostly due to peoples lack of will power at what they shove down their pieholes.

The human will is prone to failure - we all know that is a fact

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2009, 08:57:42 AM »
bear - there are plenty of recent studies that show "abstinence only" training (which we've spent hundreds of millions of dollar on) is a complete failure

those 1.5 to 2 million abortions could have been avoided if those people had just abstained.....no?

how about we all get real and teach abstinence and also a back up plan just in case the human will power actually fails.

Shit - we have an obesity problem in this country mostly due to peoples lack of will power at what they shove down their pieholes.

The human will is prone to failure - we all know that is a fact

do you know anyone over 12 years old who doesnt know what a condom is?  do you know anyone over 12 years old who doesnt know what the birth control pill is?  your idea isnt working either.  thats why i jump in on these threads when i see you picking on the people who preach abstinence.  like you're the enlightened and they're so naive.  its ridiculous.  especially comin from someone who has no kids.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2009, 09:03:41 AM »
do you know anyone over 12 years old who doesnt know what a condom is?  do you know anyone over 12 years old who doesnt know what the birth control pill is?  your idea isnt working either.  thats why i jump in on these threads when i see you picking on the people who preach abstinence.  like you're the enlightened and they're so naive.  its ridiculous.  especially comin from someone who has no kids.

I'm not picking on people for preaching abstinence I'm picking on people for preaching abstinence ONLY.

remember Bristol is already on the record saying abstinence is not realistic (something anyone over the age of 12 probably knows too)

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
When teaching abstinence, do you also teach about condoms and birth control pills?

If not, then yes, there are people over the age of 12 who don't know what they are.
If yes, then that is teaching abstinence with a back up plan.
Sandra

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2009, 09:11:23 AM »
When teaching abstinence, do you also teach about condoms and birth control pills?

If not, then yes, there are people over the age of 12 who don't know what they are.
If yes, then that is teaching abstinence with a back up plan.
Sandra

sounds logical - too bad we can't get the christians on board with that idea.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2009, 09:18:52 AM »
sounds logical - too bad we can't get the christians on board with that idea.

well i wish you two the best of luck when you have kids.  im not tryin to be a smartass either.  i sincerely hope that one way or the other none of us ends up with a pregnant 13 year old.  but if any of us do i hope we can show that kid that life is something to be cherished and having sex comes with a responsibility to the life that you may create.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
bottom line - whether abstinance is right or wrong - it's working a lot less, and a lot fewer people are subscribing to it.

Palin might be right, but 1) about 20% of america agrees, and 2) the plan didn't even work in her own house - but partially because the kids were allowed to quit school and drink at home all day.  Had her kid been at debate team practice or algabra class, there would have been a lot less time to have sex and drink.  Sure it still happens, but when you let a 16 or year old girl quit school and party with the boytoy all day while you're hundreds of miles away at work, well...

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »
bottom line - whether abstinance is right or wrong - it's working a lot less, and a lot fewer people are subscribing to it.

Palin might be right, but 1) about 20% of america agrees, and 2) the plan didn't even work in her own house - but partially because the kids were allowed to quit school and drink at home all day.  Had her kid been at debate team practice or algabra class, there would have been a lot less time to have sex and drink.  Sure it still happens, but when you let a 16 or year old girl quit school and party with the boytoy all day while you're hundreds of miles away at work, well...

i make it a point to not judge someone's parenting based upon what i see on tv.  i dont think im qualified to judge someone else when i dont know them or their situation.  i think its hateful and unfair.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »
i make it a point to not judge someone's parenting based upon what i see on tv.  i dont think im qualified to judge someone else when i dont know them or their situation.  i think its hateful and unfair.

yes.  but palin wants to tell others how to parent.  she wants to take options from women.  she wants to remove sex ed form schools.  and in 2006 she used her own kids as examples in the gov debate.

family has no part in politics - some politicians choose to use their kids as props as they legislate morality.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:53 AM »
and i'm in agreement with palin on most of her positions, actually.

I just think it's hypocritical.  Like larry craig voting against gay rights then having gay sex in bathroom.