Author Topic: Upper chest problem!  (Read 6422 times)

stilx

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Upper chest problem!
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »
Hi guys,

Ive been training on and off now for years and whenever I get back in to it I end up with the same problem. No matter what I do for my chest there never seems to be any improvement in my upper inner pecs, its like there just aren't any muscle fibers there to build?. Problem Ive got is that over the years the rest of my chest has gained quite alot of size and because of this especially with a top on it almost looks like ive got bitch tits where infact Ive got quite a big chest just without the top bit as devoloped to even it out. Is there anything I can do?.

Cheers.

mademan80

• Getbig II
Re: Upper chest problem!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:17:54 AM »
i have the same problem...just try to target that area a little more than the others...incline flies, incline smith to isolate, incline bb press, and try cables but adjust them so that they are a little above the shoulder when standing...and stand relatively straight up and bring them in and squeeze them while doing so...go kind of light so you can get a feel for the movement so you can really feel it

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 12:09:03 PM »
incline press to the neck. Just make sure you have a spotter.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »
I've heard a lot of people mention bringing the bar down to the clavicles on inclines to really hit the upper pecs hard, maybe someone else can chime in with some opinions?

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »
I can do flat work and feel more chest fiber activation – particularly in the upper region – when I lower the bar to higher up towards my clavicle.

Even tried Smith presses bringing the bar to the adam’s apple – keeping the elbows flared out wide with feet up on the end of the bench.
Unique angle, hard stretch…
Makes the pecs work in a way they’re not used to.

callmetater

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 06:40:02 AM »
if you have access to a seated cable chest machine, do flys one side at a time.  when you fly in go as far in as you can, squeeze hard and hold for a 2 count..repeat for other side.  has developed my inners alot

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:43:50 AM »
if you have access to a seated cable chest machine, do flys one side at a time.  when you fly in go as far in as you can, squeeze hard and hold for a 2 count..repeat for other side.  has developed my inners alot

Also consider crossing the arms up to the mid-forearm when doing cable flies...if greater ROM is what you’re after.

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 03:04:07 PM »
Used to have trouble with my upper pecs. What I did was take a light dumbell and lay on an incline bench. I pressed the dumbell several different ways until I found the right groove that hit my upper pecs the hardest.
S

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »
Low cable pully flies work wonders for me. Hands down by hips, elbows cracked but locked, brought in an arch up 2 about chin or nose level. The real trick is to twist your palms up and press them together as you bring them back down.
Keep pressing you palms together as long as you comfortably can, while bringing them back 2 the starting position by your hips. If you experiment with lighter to moderate wieght, your inner upper chest should be screeming after a couple sets.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
Couple i like:

Flat smith presses to the neck/throat. (not for everyone, but if you can do them comfortably they are pretty good) i prefer smith as i use a wide grip and keep the weight pretty light, and it just felt better than free weight for me.

Incline DB press flyes. The eccentric phase is done like a regular press, but the concentric phase (hard part) you bring the dumbbells together at the top like a fly. Can't use as much weight as regular db incline, though you get a really good squeeze at the top.
No doubt about it...

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 03:14:21 AM »
Stop doing benches and/or dumbell benches and try this routine out:

Smith Inclines:
5 x 12,10,8,5,12 (add wt. each set,then drop weight on last set and go for the burn)
Low Incline Flyes:
4 x 12,10,8,15 (add wt. each set,then drop weight on last set and go for the burn)
Dumbell Pullovers:
3 x 15-20 (constant weight,30 seconds rest between sets)
Dips:1 x failure (bodyweight......try to add reps weekly)

Train fast with very little rest.....rest longer on the heavier sets.

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 08:16:42 AM »
I've heard a lot of people mention bringing the bar down to the clavicles on inclines to really hit the upper pecs hard, maybe someone else can chime in with some opinions?

when learning how to lift weights back in the late 80's i had a guy tell me that incline bench down to the clavicles is the ONLY way to hit incline...i've stuck by this principle...i never really changed that range of motion for inclines...try it for variety and see how you feel..everyone can give their opinion but what works for you won't always work for someone else..and vice versa.
footloose and fancy free

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 08:49:29 AM »
I like doing unilateral Hammer machine presses that way – lower the seat so that my hands almost line up with my adam’s apple in the starting position, flare the elbows out wide, and press.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 01:52:15 PM »

i agree, and dont do any flat presses. i just do three movements for chest 2 incline presses and a fly movement. i'll do a flat machine press or flat db press once a month

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 02:15:15 PM »
Couple i like:

Flat smith presses to the neck/throat. (not for everyone, but if you can do them comfortably they are pretty good) i prefer smith as i use a wide grip and keep the weight pretty light, and it just felt better than free weight for me.

Incline DB press flyes. The eccentric phase is done like a regular press, but the concentric phase (hard part) you bring the dumbbells together at the top like a fly. Can't use as much weight as regular db incline, though you get a really good squeeze at the top.

This=genetic issue

If you just do basic chest exercises for a few years and nothing has happened, it's just genetics. All the tweaking in the world won't change anything.
I hate the State.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 03:11:15 AM »
as somone mentioned, just train the upper chest, 2 presses and a fly, personaly ive always found low incline fly best....

also, all the cable crossovers and weird movements will build nothing.....

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »
as somone mentioned, just train the upper chest, 2 presses and a fly, personaly ive always found low incline fly best....

also, all the cable crossovers and weird movements will build nothing.....
cable crossovers are basically decline fly's... they hit the same portion of the muscle, your arms are movin the same path...   as long as you go heavy and lift with intensity close to failure in the 6-12 rep range...any and every exercise will build mass

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
intense cable crossovers...... heard everything now, you must have outstanding chest development.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
The upper pec is the clavicular head.  It's function is shoulder flexion-so do a neutral press: elbows in tight to your body. 

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
stop doing direct chest and bring up your shoulders especially your front delts

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
The upper pec is the clavicular head.  It's function is shoulder flexion-so do a neutral press: elbows in tight to your body. 
yeah elbows-in on incline press, thats the proper way to do it - at least from my experience.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 04:10:25 AM »
yeah elbows-in on incline press, thats the proper way to do it - at least from my very limited experience.
Fixed :)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 08:12:49 AM »
Must agree with Wes. Maybe some people should back away from the bong before posting on GB.
Good Luck.

SideBar: some find that doing middle grip military presses helps the upper pecs. Besides building extreme shoulder mass.
F

ChAoSandPAIN

• Getbig II
  • I am my motherfucking self. Alone.
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 11:15:51 AM »
Overhead Presses with the log might help- clearly, traditional bodybuilding methods have failed to this point, so maybe try something radically different.
Unstoppable.