Author Topic: Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution  (Read 29260 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:05:38 AM »

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Missing-Link-Scientists-In-New-York-Unveil-Fossil-Of-Lemur-Monkey-Hailed-As-Mans-Earliest-Ancestor/Article/200905315284582?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15284582_Missing_Link%3A_Scientists_In_New_York_Unveil_Fossil_Of_Lemur_Monkey_Hailed_As_Mans_Earliest_Ancestor

The search for a direct connection between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom has taken 200 years - but it was presented to the world today at a special news conference in New York.

The discovery of the 95%-complete 'lemur monkey' - dubbed Ida - is described by experts as the "eighth wonder of the world".

They say its impact on the world of palaeontology will be "somewhat like an asteroid falling down to Earth".

Researchers say proof of this transitional species finally confirms Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, and the then radical, outlandish ideas he came up with during his time aboard the Beagle.

Sir David Attenborough said Darwin "would have been thrilled" to have seen the fossil - and says it tells us who we are and where we came from.

Pictures From Atlantic Productions

"This little creature is going to show us our connection with the rest of the mammals," he said.

"This is the one that connects us directly with them.

"Now people can say 'okay we are primates, show us the link'.

"The link they would have said up to now is missing - well it's no longer missing."

A team of the world's leading fossil experts, led by Professor Jorn Hurum, of Norway's National History Museum, have been secretly researching the 1ft 9in-tall young female monkey for the past two years.

And now it has been transported to New York under high security and unveiled to the world during the bicentenary of Darwin's birth.

Charles Darwin

Darwin caused storm with his theory

Later this month, it will be exhibited for one day only at the Natural History Museum in London before being returned to Oslo.

Scientists say Ida - squashed to the thickness of a beer mat by the immense passage of time - is the most complete primate fossil ever found.

With her human-like nails instead of claws, and opposable big toes, she is placed at the very root of human evolution when early primates first developed features that would eventually develop into our own.

Another important discovery is the shape of the talus bone in her foot, which humans still have in their feet millions of lifetimes later.

Ida was unearthed by an amateur fossil-hunter some 25 years ago in Messel pit, an ancient crater lake near Frankfurt, Germany, famous for its fossils.

This fossil is really a part of our history; this is part of our evolution, deep, deep back into the aeons of time, 47 million years ago.

Fossil expert Professor Jorn Hurum

She was cleaned and set in polyester resin - and incredibly, was hung on a mystery German collector's wall for 20 years.

Sky News sources say the owner had no idea of the unique fossil's significance and simply admired it like a cherished Van Gogh or Picasso painting.

But in 2006, Ida came into the hands of private dealer Thomas Perner, who presented her to Prof Hurum at the annual Hamburg Fossil and Mineral Fair in Germany - a centre for the murky world of fossil-trading.

Prof Hurum said when he first saw the blueprint for evolution - the "most beautiful fossil worldwide" - he could not sleep for two days.

A home movie records the dramatic moment.

"This is really something that the world has never seen before, this is a unique specimen, totally unique," he says, clearly emotional.

The missing link fossil

X-ray of Ida's badly fractured left wrist

He says he knew she should be saved for science rather than end up hidden from the world in a wealthy private collector's vault.

But the dealer's asking price was more than $1 million (£660,000) - ten times the amount even the rarest of fossils fetch on the black market.

Eventually, after six months of negotiations, he managed to raise the cash in Norway and brought Ida to Oslo.

Attenborough: The Link Is No Longer Missing

Prof Hurum - who last summer dug up the fossil remains of a 50ft marine monster called Predator X from the permafrost on Svalbard, a Norwegian island close to the North Pole - then assembled a "dream team" of experts who worked in secret for two years.

They included palaeontologist Dr Jens Franzen, Dr Holly Smith, of the University of Michigan, and Philip Gingerich, president-elect of the US Paleontological Society.

Researchers could prove the fossil was genuine through X-rays, knowing it is impossible to fake the inner structure of a bone.

Through radiometric dating of Messel's volcanic rocks, they discovered Ida lived 47 million years ago in the Eocene period.

This was when tropical forests stretched right to the poles, and South America was still drifting and had yet to make contact with North America.

During that period, the first whales, horses, bats and monkeys emerged, and the early primates branched into two groups - one group lived on mainly as lemurs, and the second developed into monkeys, apes and humans.

The experts concluded Ida was not simply a lemur but a 'lemur monkey', displaying a mixture of both groups, and therefore putting her at the very branch of the human line.

This little creature is going to show us our connection with the rest of the mammals. This is the one that connects us directly with them.

Sir David Attenborough

"When Darwin published his On the Origin of Species in 1859, he said a lot about transitional species," said Prof Hurum

"...and he said that will never be found, a transitional species, and his whole theory will be wrong, so he would be really happy to live today when we publish Ida.

"This fossil is really a part of our history; this is part of our evolution, deep, deep back into the aeons of time, 47 million years ago.

"It's part of our evolution that's been hidden so far, it's been hidden because all the other specimens are so incomplete.

"They are so broken there's almost nothing to study and now this wonderful fossil appears and it makes the story so much easier to tell, so it's really a dream come true."

Up until now, the most famous fossil primate in the world has been Lucy, a 3.18-million-year-old hominid found in Ethiopia in 1974.

She was then our earliest known ancestor, and only 40% complete.

Descended from the apes! My dear, let us hope that it is not true, but if it is, let us pray that it will not become generally known.

Bishop of Worcester's wife to Charles Darwin

But at 95% complete, Ida was so well preserved in the mud at the bottom of the volcanic lake, there is even evidence of her fur shadow and remains of her last meal.

From this they concluded she was a leaf and fruit eater, and probably lived in the trees around the lake.

The absence of a bacculum (penis bone) confirmed she was female, and her milk teeth put her age at about nine-months-old - in maturity, equivalent to a six-year-old human child.

This was the same age as Prof Hurum's daughter Ida, and he named the fossil after her.

The study is being published and put online by the Public Library of Science, a leading academic journal with offices in Britain and the US.

Dr Hurum also found Predator X

Co-author of the scientific paper, Prof Gingerich, likens its importance to the discovery of the Rosetta Stone, an ancient Egyptian artefact found in 1799, which allowed us to decipher hieroglyphic writing.

One clue to Ida's fate - and her remarkable preservation as our oldest ancestor - was her badly fractured left wrist.

The team believes this stopped her from climbing and she had to emerge from the trees to drink water from the 250-metre-deep lake.

They think she was overcome by carbon dioxide gas from the crater, and sunk to the bottom where she was preserved in the mud as a time capsule - and a snapshot of evolution.

But amazingly this final piece of Darwin's jigsaw was almost lost to science when German authorities tried to turn Messel into a massive landfill rubbish dump.

Eventually, after campaigning by Dr Franzen, the plans were rejected and the fossil-rich lake was designated a World Heritage Site.

But no doubt there would have been one person happy for the missing link to have remained hidden.

When Darwin famously told the Bishop of Worcester's wife about his theory of evolution, she remarked: "Descended from the apes! My dear, let us hope that it is not true, but if it is, let us pray that it will not become generally known."

Now, it certainly is.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:36:12 PM »
BOOOM... hahaha...  "where's the missing link, where's the missing link..." The party was bound to be over someday.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:37:40 PM »
I want my baddass tail back >:(

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:39:37 PM »
BOOOM... hahaha...  "where's the missing link, where's the missing link..." The party was bound to be over someday.

Coach says it's a fake. ;)
I hate the State.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »
Coach says it's a fake. ;)
well there have been fakes before but I doubt this is.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »
well there have been fakes before but I doubt this is.

I was being sarcastic; Coach is an idiot. Of course this is legit.
I hate the State.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »
I was being sarcastic
I know.  Just worth mentioning since it'll probably be mentioned.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »
So this monkey fossil is the missing link?  Oh brother.  The "missing link" isn't just a single fossil.  It's an entire fossil record. 

Anyway, looks like a monkey to me.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:01:17 PM »
So this monkey fossil is the missing link?  Oh brother.  The "missing link" isn't just a single fossil.  It's an entire fossil record. 

lol

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Oh, this is a serious thread.  I did not even bother opening it before because I thought it was the same old joke and I was just going to find a picture of George W. Bush or Joe Biden, or somebody else once I opened the thread.   ;D

So, the missing link is a monkey.  Monkeys are not apes.

Funny how scientists for years have been trying to hammer it into the heads of the general population that monkeys are not apes and that humans DID NOT evolve from monkeys.  Now they are going to confuse them by telling them that the missing link is a monkey.    :)

Where We Came From

1. Did we evolve from monkeys?   

Humans did not evolve from monkeys. Humans are more closely related to modern apes than to monkeys, but we didn't evolve from apes, either. Humans share a common ancestor with modern African apes, like gorillas and chimpanzees. Scientists believe this common ancestor existed 5 to 8 million years ago. Shortly thereafter, the species diverged into two separate lineages. One of these lineages ultimately evolved into gorillas and chimps, and the other evolved into early human ancestors called hominids. 
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/cat02.html

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:35:33 PM »
I didn't read the whole thing thoroughly but ...................

1.  What is a beer mat?

2.  Why can't I have some fly opposable big toes?

3.  I thought I read "Lucy" was proven to be a fraud?

4.  How many "Darwinists/Evolutionists" immediately accepted these findings as true?  Do you still accept them as true a couple days later?  Why or why not?

R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:24:44 PM »

there is already an entire fossil record that show logical progression from one species to the next, if this is real it will simply fall in line.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »

1.  What is a beer mat?

4.  How many "Darwinists/Evolutionists" immediately accepted these findings as true?  Do you still accept them as true a couple days later?  Why or why not?

rofl

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 08:28:31 PM »
R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »

1.  What is a beer mat?

1. where does it say something about a beer mat? iono what it is but im curious...
2. HUH?
3. Lucy is absolutely not a fraud, she was in houston not but a yr or so ago at one of the museums here.
4. I havent read the entire thing, but its obvious that this article doesnt go into depth as to why this species is the missing link it simply gives a few reasons without going into much detail. Ill wait until i see it text books that have been peer reviewed or articles that go into more depth that are peer reviewed.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »

http://anthropology.si.edu/humanorigins/ha/a_tree.html
Just something for you to look over beach, my prof never emailed me back man, ill try and find that text book name though...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:46 PM »
Oh, this is a serious thread.  I did not even bother opening it before because I thought it was the same old joke and I was just going to find a picture of George W. Bush or Joe Biden, or somebody else once I opened the thread.   ;D

So, the missing link is a monkey.  Monkeys are not apes.

Funny how scientists for years have been trying to hammer it into the heads of the general population that monkeys are not apes and that humans DID NOT evolve from monkeys.  Now they are going to confuse them by telling them that the missing link is a monkey.    :)
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/cat02.html

uh... one of us is missing something, if it's me I apologize but with the timeline on this, is this not a common ancestor to both humans, apes and monkeys?  Kind of makes your point irrelevant.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 08:51:40 PM »

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 08:53:10 PM »
It's fun to see how people are falling right in line.   :)

I think its an interesting article.  Whether it's premise is fact or not will "evolve" in time.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »
uh... one of us is missing something, if it's me I apologize but with the timeline on this, is this not a common ancestor to both humans, apes and monkeys?  Kind of makes your point irrelevant.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/05/19/human.ancestor/index.html

CNN) -- Scientists hailed Tuesday a 47-million-year-old fossil of an ancient "small cat"-sized primate as a possible common ancestor of monkeys, humans and other primates.

The fossil is believed to be an ancestor of monkeys, humans and other primates.

Scientists say the fossil, dubbed "Ida," is a transitional species, living around the time the primate lineage split into two groups: A line that would eventually produce humans and monkeys, and another that would give rise to primates such as lemurs.

The fossil was formally named Darwinius masillae, in honor of the anniversary of Charles Darwin's 200th birthday.

"This is the most complete primate fossil before human burial," said Dr. Jorn Hurum, of the Natural History Museum at the University of Oslo, who led the study of the fossil, a young female primate.

"And it's not a few million years old; it's 47 million years old," Hurum said, speaking at a news conference at the American Museum of Natural History in New York.

The fossil was discovered in 1983 in the Messel Pit, Germany, near Frankfurt, and had been until recently in private collections, according to an article published Tuesday in the scientific journal PLoS ONE, a publication of the Public Library of Science. Read the report from PLoS ONE

However, because it was split into two parts, its significance was not immediately recognized.

Don't Miss
Famous paleontologist to plead guilty to fossil theft
Smallest known North American dinosaur found
An international team of scientists, which Hurum led, conducted a detailed forensic analysis of the fossil for the past two years, the release said.

Hurum nicknamed the fossil Ida after his young daughter, he said.

The fossil's body is nearly complete; only part of one leg is missing, according to Hurum. In addition to the bones, the softer features are also preserved, as are the remnants of its last meal: fruits, seeds and leaves, which were found in Ida's gut, according to the scientists.

"It's such a beautiful specimen," Hurum said of Ida. He said the fossil is about 2 feet long, "like a small cat in size."

The fossil has both adult and baby teeth, indicating that it was weaned and about 9 months old when it died, the PLoS article said.

She would have eventually grown to the size of a lemur, the article said.

The young primate fossil does not have two crucial anatomical features found in lemurs: a grooming claw on the second digit of its foot and a fused row of teeth in the middle of its lower jaw, known as a toothcomb, the scientists said.

X-rays revealed a broken wrist, which the team of scientists believe may have contributed to Ida's death, according to a news release from the museum at Oslo.

Ida may have been overcome by carbon dioxide gas while drinking from the Messel lake, which was often covered by a low-lying blanket of the gas, the news release said. Hampered by the broken wrist, the young primate may have fallen into unconsciousness and may have slipped into the lake. The primate sunk to the bottom and was preserved for 47 million years, the news release said.

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 09:05:10 PM »
Oppose this  >:(

bring it sloth girl!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »
It's fun to see how people are falling right in line.   :)
You knew they would

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 10:12:06 PM »
The scientists at that place in Norway = pretty darn serious people, and norwegian culture = not really supportive for making bravado claims without backing. If the findings are not legit, it is certainly not due to deliberate misinformation or bravado on the part of the researchers.

And to coach: No, they are not affiliated with american libs just to make a story or whatever you sub90IQ moron ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 04:42:51 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/05/19/human.ancestor/index.html

CNN) -- Scientists hailed Tuesday a 47-million-year-old fossil of an ancient "small cat"-sized primate as a possible common ancestor of monkeys, humans and other primates.

The fossil is believed to be an ancestor of monkeys, humans and other primates.

Scientists say the fossil, dubbed "Ida," is a transitional species, living around the time the primate lineage split into two groups: A line that would eventually produce humans and monkeys, and another that would give rise to primates such as lemurs.

I was kinda thinking that when I saw 47 million years.  Not sure what loco was thinking.  I guess he wasn't :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 05:13:44 AM »
Leave it to our resident fundy 'experts' who think a story with a talking snake and a magic apple is better evidence than real scientists working on real science. :D
I hate the State.