Author Topic: Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution  (Read 29847 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Scientists Unveil Missing Link In Evolution
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »
I know that you think this is silly, but as a Christian, I believe that all these are the result of sin entering this once "perfect" world.

Sin=bad genetics
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2009, 10:51:24 AM »
I don't think so, especially when I look at Jessica Alba.

lol.   :D

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »
If God can do anything, can He make a mountain which is too heavy for Him to lift?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2009, 01:04:05 PM »
I know that you think this is silly, but as a Christian, I believe that all these are the result of sin entering this once "perfect" world.
Loco the world was created by GOD who is all good and all powerful correct? if something that was created by a being that is all good and all powerful there would be no evil...free will which i know is your answer to this isnt in the equation b/c before we have free will we have a All powerful and All good God and being bound by that he cannot logically make anything with the capability of evil.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2009, 01:13:58 PM »
Loco the world was created by GOD who is all good and all powerful correct? if something that was created by a being that is all good and all powerful there would be no evil...free will which i know is your answer to this isnt in the equation b/c before we have free will we have a All powerful and All good God and being bound by that he cannot logically make anything with the capability of evil.

My son, I am glad to see the seeds of reason grow in you. ;D
I hate the State.

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »

this was copied and pasted from a source... I couldn't have said it better.

It is impossible for religious "free will" and an omniscience being to co-exist. If god knows everything, then he knows the outcome of every decision, prior to it being made. If the outcome of any decision is known or predetermined, prior to the decision of the person making it, then there was no choice or “free will” at all. “Free will” can only exist where the outcome is not known, predestined or predetermined.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »
This is why I dont take a literal view of the Bible...You wont believe how many friends ive explained that too who refuse to see my point...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
This is why I dont take a literal view of the Bible...You wont believe how many friends ive explained that too who refuse to see my point...

Thankfully I almost never have these conversations in life.
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2009, 06:15:33 PM »
That's the beauty of a forum.  You can get down and dirty and have the conversations you always wanted to have without someone getting seriously butt hurt.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2009, 11:29:02 PM »
I like how you think you know more than the actual experts on the scene. wow.

He does that in quite a few areas.  ;)
w

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2009, 05:25:09 AM »
He does that in quite a few areas.  ;)

Jag is referring to her Multi Level Marketing scam.    :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2009, 07:42:58 AM »
Jag is referring to her Multi Level Marketing scam.    :)

Está loco cuánto energía ella tiene, especialmente en vista de nadie cuida por lo que está vendiendo.
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2009, 06:32:12 AM »
Está loco cuánto energía ella tiene, especialmente en vista de nadie cuida por lo que está vendiendo.

Ja ja ja.    ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2009, 04:05:42 AM »

Yo soy el conejo Energizer Bunny!    :D

Grown men who have to look their teenage daughters in the eyes and tell them they can't go to the prom because despite being away from home for the past 3 months, ...he didn't have enough money to buy her a prom dress, ...they care! Do you know what that does to a man ... a grown man, when he has to do that? Do you know what that does to a 17 year old girl when she has to hear her father say that?
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2009, 10:02:59 AM »

If the outcome of any decision is known or predetermined, prior to the decision of the person making it, then there was no choice or “free will” at all. “Free will” can only exist where the outcome is not known, predestined or predetermined.

I don't see how the outcome of a decision being "known" is the same as being "predestined or predetermined" thus resulting in absence of free will.

I think your argument would make more sense if you took out the word "known."

R

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »
I don't see how the outcome of a decision being "known" is the same as being "predestined or predetermined" thus resulting in absence of free will.

I think your argument would make more sense if you took out the word "known."

'known,' 'predestined/predetermined' are basically the same when it comes to God. You may not know it but 'He' already knows every single move or decision(and the outcome) you will ever have to make in your life, so how is it free will? The outcome is already 'known' by God.
It is just one of the many God paradoxes.

Yes or No... If God is almighty, can he create a god that is more powerful than him?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2009, 01:03:50 PM »
'known,' 'predestined/predetermined' are basically the same when it comes to God. You may not know it but 'He' already knows every single move or decision(and the outcome) you will ever have to make in your life, so how is it free will? The outcome is already 'known' by God.

Yes or No... If God is almighty, can he create a god that is more powerful than him?

Or a boulder so heavy even he can't lift it?

Or can he kill himself?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »

Omnipotence paradoxes like the above have been around for ages.  Can the people of any nation be self-governed?  If so, can they appoint a dictator to govern them, whom they cannot govern?

Our imperfect and limited human languages cannot meaningfully address the concept of omnipotence itself.

Biblical omnipotence does not mean that there is nothing God cannot do.  It means that God will never fail at what He sets Himself to do.

Even the Bible says there are things that God cannot do:

2 Timothy 2:13
if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.

Romans 6:9
For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him.

Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

James 1:13
When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;

Titus 1:2
a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time

Joel_A

• Getbig III
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »
Omnipotence paradoxes like the above have been around for ages.  Can the people of any nation be self-governed?  If so, can they appoint a dictator to govern them, whom they cannot govern?

Our imperfect and limited human languages cannot meaningfully address the concept of omnipotence itself.

Biblical omnipotence does not mean that there is nothing God cannot do.  It means that God will never fail at what He sets Himself to do.

Even the Bible says there are things that God cannot do:

2 Timothy 2:13
if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.

Romans 6:9
For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him.

Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

James 1:13
When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;

Titus 1:2
a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time

So the bible is saying he isn't the Almighty and all powerful.
Can't you see that any one of these paradoxes (no matter how old they are) trumps any logical argument anyone can put up for an omnipotent, omniscient, almighty god?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2009, 02:49:03 AM »
Can't you see that any one of these paradoxes (no matter how old they are) trumps any logical argument anyone can put up for an omnipotent, omniscient, almighty god?

Faith=not logical=thus, not relevant
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2009, 05:03:05 AM »

No.  That's not what the Bible is saying.

God cannot do anything that is contrary to His holy character, but God can do anything that He determines to do.

No.

God is omnipotent.  Can God give up His omnipotence, after which He would no longer be omnipotent and would be unable to regain His omnipotence?  Maybe, maybe not.  I don't know.  Either way, God has not done that and will not do that.  Therefore, God remains omnipotent.

The question or the answer will not change a Christian's faith, neither will it make an atheist believe in God.  It neither proves that there is no God, nor does it prove that there is.  It's pointless and irrelevant.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2009, 08:16:39 AM »
Good posts loco!

But "knowing" the outcome does not equal causing the outcome.   

"Predestining/predetermining" fits causing better.

R

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2009, 10:12:30 AM »
Good posts loco!

But "knowing" the outcome does not equal causing the outcome.   

"Predestining/predetermining" fits causing better.

LOL. I love fundamentalists' mind wriggling... :D
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2009, 10:39:24 AM »
LOL. I love fundamentalists' mind wriggling... :D

How about atheists' mind wriggling?

"If God is almighty, can he create a god that is more powerful than him?"    ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2009, 10:40:32 AM »
Good posts loco!

Thanks STella!   ;D