Author Topic: How bad can waterboarding really be?  (Read 8960 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
How bad can waterboarding really be?
« on: May 21, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »
I'm not advocating or defending it, but if all SEALs go through this (multiple times) as part of their survival training, then how bad can it really be? Is it just as bad (or possibly worse) as Muslim torture which consists of electrical shock, amputation, beatings and beheadings?  ???

bears

• Getbig IV
Re: How bad can waterboarding really be?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »
i can only conjecture but i'm guessing its not as bad as a beheading. 

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »
I'm not advocating or defending it, but if all SEALs go through this (multiple times) as part of their survival training, then how bad can it really be? Is it just as bad (or possibly worse) as Muslim torture which consists of electrical shock, amputation, beatings and beheadings?  ???
Besides intense fear and discomfort, there generally isn't any significant physical harm done. Hard to believe that there are those who would prefer to see 100's of thousands of people be possibly killed in an attack, rather then cause the discomfort of a maniacal, psychotic, determined to kill innocent people. You want to see harsh interrogation..check out the Israeli Mossad's methods. We don't have a problem dropping a nuke on Japan and killing tons of women and children, but god forbid we pour water on a terrorist. Absurd. Geneva convention rules should only apply to POW's in a specified conflict..not to Islamic fanatics who aren't fighting under a flag. Personally, I think these guys got off easy...lots of worse things we could have done to them. This whole issue is now about politics and has nothing to do with improving national security.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 12:56:10 PM »
i can only conjecture but i'm guessing its not as bad as a beheading. 

lol.   :)

I agree with BF's query:  can't be too bad if it's a part of some military training. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
TC, they could blow these terrorists kisses, and the leftys in this country would raise hell about it.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
I say we start waterboarding common criminals as well!
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »
It can't be any worse than all those torture chambers and documented instances of Muslim torture. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

Maybe simulated drowning is as bad as being electrocuted or having body parts amputated by swords?  ???

Those SEALs (who are subjected to it multiple times) must be some bad doooooods!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »

Torture by beheading never seems to yield tangible results.  It's too quick and leaves the person speechless.

However, since seals go through water boarding multiple times, I bet they give their trainers some really good intel about their personal lives.

BigIronPete

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »
If it is not so bad every dangerous federal level criminal should be waterboarded. I assume they are.

Dahved Mirza should have been for stealing from Veterans.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »
Torture by beheading never seems to yield tangible results.

However, since seals go through water boarding multiple times, I bet they give their trainers some really good intel about their personal lives.

If it's so dangerous, why would SEALs be subjected to it multiple times? Why risk killing someone that you've dumped years of training and fighting experience into? If there was the risk of death, why would they even bother? Would you really risk losing some of your best trained men in a time like this? SEALs are not a dimze a dozen. I'm not advocating or denouncing it but trying to figure this out.

Is it any worse than electrical shock, amputation or severe beatings (all Muslim fan favorites)?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »
I say we start waterboarding common criminals as well!
see theres the difference common criminals here in the US are protected by the US constitution these terrorist have no such rights and therefor no such rights to violate...

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 01:30:08 PM »
If it's so dangerous, why would SEALs be subjected to it multiple times? Why risk killing someone that you've dumped years of training and fighting experience into? If there was the risk of death, why would they even bother? Would you really risk losing some of your best trained men in a time like this? SEALs are not a dimze a dozen. I'm not advocating or denouncing it but trying to figure this out.

Is it any worse than electrical shock, amputation or severe beatings (all Muslim fan favorites)?

Dude, I was just kidding around.  

I realize their is no room for humor while on a crusade.  But some times you must stop and smell the Humus.  

Get back in touch with your shakras or something.   ;D

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 01:32:42 PM »
Dude, I was just kidding around.  

I realize their is no room for humor while on a crusade.  But some times you must stop and smell the Humus.  

Get back in touch with your shakras or something.   ;D

;D

I'm burning out on the Muslim crusade shit. It gets boring after so much time.

While I don't know if I would demonize it and consider it "extreme torture" like so many people are quick to claim, I do question it's effectiveness. But that's a different story.

Then again, I have a real tough time feeling bad for these people after seeing so many of their videos on the internet. An eye for an eye.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »
It doesn't matter how bad it is.  We signed a treaty saying we will not torture.  We signed that treaty because we don't want our soldiers tortured.   After previous wars were over, we tried, imprisoned and even executed others for such war crimes.  

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »
It doesn't matter how bad it is.  We signed a treaty saying we will not torture.  We signed that treaty because we don't want our soldiers tortured.   After previous wars were over, we tried, imprisoned and even executed others for such war crimes.  

I see that treaty is really working wonders on preventing the torture of our soldiers. Every body we've recovered that was kidnapped or captured has shown signs of extreme torture. And they're usually dead.  ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »

Except terrorists don’t fall within the definition of a POW under the Geneva Convention. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 01:43:31 PM »
Except terrorists don’t fall within the definition of a POW under the Geneva Convention. 

*gasp* but they have civil rights, don'tcha know?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »
;D

I'm burning out on the Muslim crusade shit. It gets boring after so much time.

While I don't know if I would demonize it and consider it "extreme torture" like so many people are quick to claim, I do question it's effectiveness. But that's a different story.

Then again, I have a real tough time feeling bad for these people after seeing so many of their videos on the internet. An eye for an eye.

I've been fairly split on the subject myself.  Does it work?  How often does it work?  How often does it not work?  What's the morality involved?  Ar we justified doing it?  I can see both sides of every answer to each of those questions.

I wouldn't classify it as extreme torture. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 01:55:32 PM »
*gasp* but they have civil rights, don'tcha know?

Which ones?  And which alleged civil right is being violated? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 02:00:51 PM »
Which ones?  And which alleged civil right is being violated? 

Not enough threads on their prayer mats?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »

I found the Bible incident in Afghanistan last week pretty interesting. We had no qualms about burning all those bibles that were sent over. But when a soldier used a Koran for target practice, well shit, millions of Muslims went insane over it.  ::)

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »

Seals KNOW they are going to get water boarded.... when someone gets waterboarded in an uncontrolled way they dont know they are being water boarded they think they are being DROWNED...

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »
I found the Bible incident in Afghanistan last week pretty interesting. We had no qualms about burning all those bibles that were sent over. But when a soldier used a Koran for target practice, well shit, millions of Muslims went insane over it.  ::)

Definitely a double standard with these people. 

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 02:06:41 PM »
Seals KNOW they are going to get water boarded.... when someone gets waterboarded in an uncontrolled way they dont know they are being water boarded they think they are being DROWNED...

Can you prove that? Maybe the first time (maybe) but I doubt they didn't catch on.

I doubt the SEALs know exactly what is going on, either. Would kind of defeat the purpose of the training.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 02:10:58 PM »

:)  Turning up the AC, taking away desert . . . .