Author Topic: If Arnold never retired (HOW MANY Mr. Olympia titles?)  (Read 5261 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: If Arnold never retired (HOW MANY Mr. Olympia titles?)
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »
Haney once stated that he had no real competition as Arnold had retired

yeah I recall that...considering both are considered all upper bodies Arnold would have gave him a run for his money

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2009, 06:43:42 PM »
Not really if you think about it and I'll explain why , Ronnie has more Sandows however Arnold started the trend of more than 3 , he retired undfeated , and he could have won even more than Ronnie if he choose to which is a fact , then you factor in what he did for the sport , how he promoted it etc and then factor in the rest of his career and he really is the greatest bodybuilder of all time

Hey ND, you probably have forgotten more history of bodybuilding than I know, but how in the hell can you say Arnold retired undefeated ?  Even if you just look at Mr Olympia contests, he wasn't undefeated. Arnold lost to Sergio in the 69 Olympia, as well as to Frank Zane in some IFBB contest. And he also lost his first try at the Pro Mr Universe to Chet Yorton.

No Mr. Olympia has ever retired undefeated !   If you only count Mr Olympia contests, than I guess Larry Scott was 2 for 2. Everyone else lost at least one of them before they won one, kinda like having to pay your dues. Obviously Larry Scott was in the first one and somebody had to win, but ever since, Sergio, Arnold, Haney and Dorian all lost their first Mr Olympia before winning. The rest of them lost at least 2 or more before winning the crown.

Lee Haney took third his first Olympia and then won 8 straight and retired.  His amateur and pro career were just as dominant if not more so than Arnold's competition history.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2009, 06:49:36 PM »
         Hey ND, you probably have forgotten more history of bodybuilding than I know, but how in the hell can you say Arnold retired undefeated ?  Even if you just look at Mr Olympia contests, he wasn't undefeated. Arnold lost to Sergio in the 69 Olympia, as well as to Frank Zane in some IFBB contest. And he also lost his first try at the Pro Mr Universe to Chet Yorton.

No Mr. Olympia has ever retired undefeated !   If you only count Mr Olympia contests, than I guess Larry Scott was 2 for 2. Everyone else lost at least one of them before they won one, kinda like having to pay your dues. Obviously Larry Scott was in the first one and somebody had to win, but ever since, Sergio, Arnold, Haney and Dorian all lost their first Mr Olympia before winning. The rest of them lost at least 2 or more before winning the crown.

Lee Haney took third his first Olympia and then won 8 straight and retired.  His amateur and pro career were just as dominant if not more so than Arnold's competition history.

I meant undefeated since he won the Olympia , Ronnie lost while a reigning champ . you're right about Scott being the only undefeated Olympia winner though .

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2009, 06:54:51 PM »
I meant undefeated since he won the Olympia , Ronnie lost while a reigning champ . you're right about Scott being the only undefeated Olympia winner though .

Ok, well than Haney and Dorian would also be included in that group, undefeated in Olympias since they won one.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2009, 06:56:03 PM »
            Ok, well than Haney and Dorian would also be included in that group, undefeated in Olympias since they won one.

Right the difference out of the lot only Haney retired in the best shape of his career , Arnold no and Yates hell no

Tigerman

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »
Larry Scott lost some contests when he made a comeback in 1979.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »
Larry Scott lost some contests when he did a comeback in 1979.

yeah he lost two contests in 1979 but he was the only Olympia winner to win on his first try and retire undefeated in that contest

Tigerman

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2009, 07:07:44 PM »
yeah he lost two contests in 1979 but he was the only Olympia winner to win on his first try and retire undefeated in that contest

Correct.
Another Mr.O. that was undefeated after winning his first Olympia was Franco.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »
Not really if you think about it and I'll explain why , Ronnie has more Sandows however Arnold started the trend of more than 3 , he retired undfeated , and he could have won even more than Ronnie if he choose to which is a fact , then you factor in what he did for the sport , how he promoted it etc and then factor in the rest of his career and he really is the greatest bodybuilder of all time

To phrase it a little better, I would call him the greatest "champion" of all time. That actually comes straight from Joe Weider's mouth.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2009, 07:40:21 AM »
He never won the Arnold Classic though,Ronnie did

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2009, 08:40:39 AM »
He never won the Arnold Classic though,Ronnie did

lmao good point