Author Topic: variation on pulldowns  (Read 1910 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
variation on pulldowns
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »
i was doing these today

standing up instead of sitting down, wide grip, keeping the entire back very very arched.. looking straight up at the ceiling....elbows forward...   hits the fucking shit out of the upper inner back...   they key is the back arch and looking up at the ceiling

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
Re: variation on pulldowns
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:15:26 PM »
i was doing these today

standing up instead of sitting down, wide grip, keeping the entire back very very arched.. looking straight up at the ceiling....elbows forward...   hits the fucking shit out of the upper inner back...   they key is the back arch and looking up at the ceiling

Sounds like the stimulation you get from underhand-close grip pulldown while keeping your torso erect or even leaning forward a bit.

In Dorian's seminar posted on MD he says he doesn't believe in wide grip training because your arms give out too soon.  I agree with this.

All this "experimental" bullshit is pretentious.  Stick to the basics like Dorian, Ronnie, Arnold, Haney did.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:36:23 AM »
Looks like Tbombz is describing the regular wide grip chin, which some people find  a much superior exercise than lat pulldowns.

Actually people may find that Dorian, Coleman, Arnold, Haney started out with experimental BS to find out what worked for them the best. Not pretentious but logical to discover what works, or does not, for each of us. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:05:50 AM »
Looks like Tbombz is describing the regular wide grip chin, which some people find  a much superior exercise than lat pulldowns.

I've always found that pulldowns and machineS are just as effective as chins, and prefer them personally. They all hit the lats well but slightly differently, so it's good to rotate them all in and out of the routine over time.

Part of what makes chins effective is that it's tough to compromise the intense muscle stimulation-the resistance is already very high, and it's tough to compromise form on chins enough to make them ineffective. It's alot easier to compromise on resistance and form on pulldowns, so you have to be more aware of that to make them similarly effective. You want to keep the resistance high, like bodyweight chins. On form it's easier to compromise on pulldowns-arching the back or cheating is ok i've found, but not leaning back during the movement, which seriously erodes the effect on the lats.

I get just as good lat soreness and effect from either one, both good and slightly different from one another, if the above is taken into account.

As far as hand spacing, Arthur Jones suggested using no more than a medium grip decades ago, so Yates as a HIT disciple probably knew that as well as learning on his own. I went to narrow and medium grip around 1980.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:08:02 AM »
i was doing these today

???  Maybe I am misunderstanding, but if you are standing up then it would be impossible to do this with anything but light weight? 

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 09:22:27 AM »
Your right Calfzilla, it would become a chin, sooner or later. That's what I meant. But, shhhhhhhhhhhh..don't tell Tbombz.

And yes, a middle to narrow grip calls upon more direct lat action on a machine of free style. A hammer or underhand curl grip seems to get the most bang for your buck. For most people anyway. Advantage of a wide, or extra wide grip is the stretch you may get. Which can also aid in bringing out the lats. It's all part of the whole, so may want to mix up the grip positions from time to time. Good Luck.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »
???  Maybe I am misunderstanding, but if you are standing up then it would be impossible to do this with anything but light weight? 
i guess the total poundage is light, however if you try it i think youll find out that you only need a very small amount of weight to make this difficult to do. i was only using like 4 to 5 notches down the stack, but i was failing at about rep 8

Ron Jeremy

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »
Try super-setting straight arm pulldowns with all your sets of chins and pulldowns one workout. You will feel fried to the max.

io856

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 01:11:20 AM »
been supersetting these for a while

get a nice contraction

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:26:20 AM »
Try super-setting straight arm pulldowns with all your sets of chins and pulldowns one workout. You will feel fried to the max.

Can't go worng with this combo. If i feel like doing a compound set for back, i do this.

Sometimes i do pull ups the go staright to straight arm, or sometimes do straight arm first, as a pre exhaust exercise. Good pump going.
No doubt about it...