Author Topic: In the fear of bench press...  (Read 7411 times)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: In the fear of bench press...
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2009, 02:36:07 AM »
Even by your standards, these lies are pathetic.

Video or bullshit.

Fine Jamie, it's bullshit. Like i said, i seriously could not give a flying fuck whether or not "Jamie from getbig" believes me.  :)
No doubt about it...

io856

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2009, 02:36:47 AM »
Fine Jamie, it's bullshit. Like i said, i seriously could not give a flying fuck whether or not "Jamie from getbig" believes me.  :)
BACK OFF

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2009, 02:37:16 AM »
No doubt about it...

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2009, 02:41:21 AM »
Post up a pic...

Haaauuuuuuhahahauuu
from incomplete data

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2009, 02:42:28 AM »
Haaauuuuuuhahahauuu

That man looks familiar.......
No doubt about it...

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2009, 02:48:53 AM »
Good lift web. 

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2009, 02:49:52 AM »
Good Monumental lift web. 

Fixed.
from incomplete data

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2009, 03:30:31 AM »
Why so many guys claim "I dont do flat bench anymore, i might tear my chest", "i do only inclines", "I prefer dumbells" and so on.....why avoiding the barbell bench press?

As if they are going to end their "bb career".  ::)

Anyway i did flat bench on Monday first exercise and it felt great.

For me it tends to do more lower chest than anything, and upper chest is harder to build so I start with that, it does wreck some people's shoulders though, not everyone though. Ronnie still does them.

The look for chest has changed also. Iron age guys seemed to have massive bottom heavy pecs and less massive shoulders. Like Lou Ferrigno has an awesome chest but looks relatively narrow by today's standards, as does Arnie, although he was wide for his day. Nower days everyone's got huge delts and little, evenly-developed chests, like Dexter, Jay, Wolf etc. Compare to Bertil Arnold Franco and you can see how flat bench has lost importance over the years. I would agree old school chests look better though. I personally find it hurts and inclines make my chest look better as my chest is angled slightly upward anyway, so inclines hit the whole of it better.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2009, 08:43:49 AM »
Bench is probably the exercise that causes Monst injuries by far, Fucks up shoulders, tears chest etc.

very overrrated. But nice anyway.

But if it hurts even a little then don't.

Flat bench is awesome.  It should be a part of every 2nd or 3rd chest workout.  If you're training each bodypart once per week, you'll bench only twice per month.  That's not much at all, but is certainly worth doing.

As with anything in the gym, the keys to are warm up, stretching, and good form.  If you do not stretch properly, you run the serious risk of injury.  I was in a hurry the other day and cut my stretching short and ended up paying the price (a small one, as I should be ok now, but still). 

Don't fear the bench.  I know it can be a little scary to look up and see that big, heavy weight above you, but just man up and handle your business.  You'll be glad you did.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2009, 08:50:13 AM »
Flat bench is awesome.  It should be a part of every 2nd or 3rd chest workout.  If you're training each bodypart once per week, you'll bench only twice per month.  That's not much at all, but is certainly worth doing.

As with anything in the gym, the keys to are warm up, stretching, and good form.  If you do not stretch properly, you run the serious risk of injury.  I was in a hurry the other day and cut my stretching short and ended up paying the price (a small one, as I should be ok now, but still). 

Don't fear the bench.  I know it can be a little scary to look up and see that big, heavy weight above you, but just man up and handle your business.  You'll be glad you did.

Opposite.  If bench fucks your shoulders, listen to your body.  Go lighter or do something else.  I prefer the hand position that dumbells allow.  Same for shoulder press.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
Opposite.  If bench fucks your shoulders, listen to your body.  Go lighter or do something else.  I prefer the hand position that dumbells allow.  Same for shoulder press.

Oh, you absolutely should listen to your body, but most of those tiny - or not-so-tiny - shoulder tears that people suffer are more likely the result of improper warm-up than simply lifting too heavy.  If the muscle is ready and it's strong enough, why not lift the weight?

Yes, there are exceptions and personal preference should certainly play a role in determining how people train, but it's just an urban legend that 'flat bench is bad'. 

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2009, 09:28:15 AM »
Oh, you absolutely should listen to your body, but most of those tiny - or not-so-tiny - shoulder tears that people suffer are more likely the result of improper warm-up than simply lifting too heavy.  If the muscle is ready and it's strong enough, why not lift the weight?

Yes, there are exceptions and personal preference should certainly play a role in determining how people train, but it's just an urban legend that 'flat bench is bad'. 

Oh rly? I'd be hard pressed to find any other exercise responsible for so many injuries and tears.
from incomplete data

GreatFinn

• Getbig III
  • Havuja, perkele!?!
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2009, 02:20:11 AM »
Why so many guys claim "I dont do flat bench anymore, i might tear my chest", "i do only inclines", "I prefer dumbells" and so on.....why avoiding the barbell bench press?

As if they are going to end their "bb career".  ::)

Anyway i did flat bench on Monday first exercise and it felt great.

Because they are too simple to do it right. It isn't all about the weight you can hang on the barbell, it is all about a form and patience to do it right and give the chest time to grow. On the other hand, that is just about impossible thing to accomplish if you are average amateur male BB:er, because no one want to look sissy. So we load all the plates what we can get our hands on to the barbell and usually use the weights so heavy, that we don't have any fucking way to move with good form. 

Guy with the one of the best chest I have ever seen, ex Finnish pro Fathi Krishi, teach me the principle. He pointed out that even he was using quite moderate weights at the bench, he did have a best chest at the gym, which was crowded with the all the finnish pro's and national champions in every weight class you can think of. How is that possible? It is all about the form and using weight what you really can handle. He never do sets under the 6 reps and he always use a weight which allows him to feel the muscle all the way through the set. He was from Lebanon and a good friend with late Momo Benaziza who was also his mentor in this sport, and he was training with him in finland and scandinavia in those GP tours in that era.

What you do is stretch your chest completely before and after every workout, and do your set to the complete failure. You should warm up your chest before heavy sets with at least two sets of 20-30 reps, with the weight that allows you do just that, not 50 or 100 reps.That is called a pre- exhaustion, which is good and hardly used way of fool the muscle. You see, muscle doesn't have understanding, it is just a piece of meat, so it is quite easy to fool. It doesn't know if you are training with dumbbell's or incline bench, all it knows is exhaustion and stress. That's why, when you start with good worm up, you can beat the shit out of it without lifting so heavy. All you need is warm up, then you start with 75% of your one rep max and do set to the failure, at least 6 reps (use the spotter who really knows how to help with forced reps). Then another set with 85%, just like that one before, to the failure. If you need third set, you are complete asshole and you haven't done first two sets to the failure. With Fathi, his one rep max at the time was 280kg(617lb) which is quite a lot for a short guy(1,68m tall) You should test your one rep max every now and then, but that isn't the most important thing in your life. It is just a figure which you use to calculate your training weights. It will go up, if you do your sets in right manner, but most of all, you gain a full and thick pecks, with a lot of strength.

For the spotter, it is important to him to know how to do it: you don't grab the bar and yank it to the rack, but you use your fingertips under the bar and feel how much help you must provide to the last reps, if any, and you have to be fast if bencher reach his failure point. Then and just then you have to rack the bar, not sooner. Rule is that when bencher press upwards, the bar never moves downwards even a bit, but the spotter provides those drops of strenght through his fingers, feel if there is one more rep to come, and keep up the attitude of the bencher by asking for bencher one more rep if you feel it is coming, racking the bar if it isn't. For the bencher, you must have a trust for your spotter, and you must be willing to meet your failure point without any fear.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2009, 02:54:56 AM »
Because they are too simple to do it right. It isn't all about the weight you can hang on the barbell, it is all about a form and patience to do it right and let the chest time to grow. On the other hand, that is just about impossible thing to accomplish if you are average amateur male BB:er, because no one want to look sissy. So we load all the plates what we can get our hands on to the barbell and usually use the weights so heavy, that we don't have any fucking way to move with good form. 

Guy with the one of the best chest I have ever seen, ex Finnish pro Fathi Krishi, teach me the principle. He pointed out that even he was using quite moderate weights at the bench, he did have a best chest at the gym, which was crowded with the all the finnish pro's and national champions in every weight class you can think of. How is that possible? It is all about the form and using weight what you really can handle. He never do sets under the 6 reps and he always use a weight which allows him to feel the muscle all the way through the set. He was from Lebanon and a good friend with late Momo Benaziza who was also his mentor in this sport, and he was training with him in finland and scandinavia in those GP tours in that era.

What you do is stretch your chest completely before and after every workout, and do your set to the complete failure. You should warm up your chest before heavy sets with at least two sets of 20-30 reps, with the weight that allows you do just that, not 50 or 100 reps.That is called a pre- exhaustion, which is good and hardly used way of fool the muscle. You see, muscle doesn't have understanding, it is just a piece of meat, so it is quite easy to fool. It doesn't know if you are training with dumbbell's or incline bench, all it knows is exhaustion and stress. That's why, when you start with good worm up, you can beat the shit out of it without lifting so heavy. All you need is warm up, then you start with 75% of your one rep max and do set to the failure, at least 6 reps (use the spotter who really knows how to help with forced reps). Then another set with 85%, just like that one before, to the failure. If you need third set, you are complete asshole and you haven't done first two sets to the failure. With Fathi, his one rep max at the time was 280kg(617lb) which is quite a lot for a short guy(1,68m tall) You should test your one rep max every now and then, but that isn't the most important thing in your life. It is just a figure which you use to calculate your training weights. It will go up, if you do your sets in right manner, but most of all, you gain a full and thick pecks, with a lot of strength.

For the spotter, it is important to him to know how to do it: you don't grab the bar and yank it to the rack, but you use your fingertips under the bar and feel how much help you must provide to the last reps, if any, and you have to be fast if bencher reach his failure point. Then and just then you have to rack the bar, not sooner. Rule is that when bencher press upwards, the bar never moves downwards even a bit, but the spotter provides those drops of strenght through his fingers, feel if there is one more rep to come, and keep up the attitude of the bencher by asking for bencher one more rep if you feel it is coming, racking the bar if it isn't. For the bencher, you must have a trust for your spotter, and you must be willing to meet your failure point without any fear.

Great advices in here, thanks!  8)

I will try to warm up better this time, today i have chest.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2009, 06:29:25 AM »
Because they are too simple to do it right. It isn't all about the weight you can hang on the barbell, it is all about a form and patience to do it right and give the chest time to grow. On the other hand, that is just about impossible thing to accomplish if you are average amateur male BB:er, because no one want to look sissy. So we load all the plates what we can get our hands on to the barbell and usually use the weights so heavy, that we don't have any fucking way to move with good form. 

Excellent post!  You explained it better than I could. 

I'm just a little guy, but what you outlined has always worked for me.  The only thing I could possibly add is that guys don't have to use the bench to pre-exhaust the muscle.  Crossovers, flyes, pec deck, etc. could all be used to achieve this.  Because my tiny triceps are prone to fatigue, I'll generally use a non-pressing exercise for my pre-exhaust. 

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »
You see, muscle doesn't have understanding, it is just a piece of meat, so it is quite easy to fool. It doesn't know if you are training with dumbbell's or incline bench, all it knows is exhaustion and stress.

i agree with this

but i also agree that heavy lifting does have its place too

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2009, 10:07:26 AM »
The thought of doing a bench press makes my cock hard.

I guess that's the only way it can get hard, huh?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »
Vince Gironda suggested that when you bench you should bring the weight down to the throat area in order to build enormous size in the chest...I did that and wow, he was right....chest swole up big time...but that type of bench really tore up my shoulder blades big time...I was always sore all the time from that

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2009, 10:15:44 AM »
like other bodyparts chest is mostly genetic, a guy in my gym does only hammer flat machine press, the same for incline and peck deck. and leaves the gym. No stretching whatsoever. He does like 5 plates a side in the machines and full stack on peck deck and he does have an ENORMOUS chest, looks deformed or something, the fucker cant even see his nipple.

I always wonder what the fuck am going to do with my chest. lol.

Im like Lee, narrow chest and bif amr s and shoulders.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2009, 10:40:41 AM »
Bench is probably the exercise that causes Monst injuries by far, Fucks up shoulders, tears chest etc.

very overrrated. But nice anyway.

But if it hurts even a little then don't.

It causes the most injuries, because it's the most ABUSED exercise done in the gym.

The bench press is like any other exercise. Used properly, it can put you on the fast track to pec size and strength.

Used improperly, it can put you in the hospital.

The thought of doing a bench press makes my cock hard.

Perhaps, this phenomenon explains why so many, who use the bench press, keep trying to fornicate with the gym's roof (I believe MuscleMag once referred to them as "ceiling-sexuals").

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
if you don't have a chest, it's genetics

pros today appear to have smaller chests because their waistlines are too big

tighter waistline makes the chest look bigger

E
E