Author Topic: Best wrist wraps?  (Read 11244 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Best wrist wraps?
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:52:41 AM »
Lately I have changed my squat technique and my wrists are taking a hammering as a result. I was wondering what are the best wrist wraps to get and what would be a good price? They must fulfill the following criteria according to my association rules:

Only wraps or bandages of a one-ply commercially woven elastic that is covered with polyester, cotton or a combination of both materials or medical crepe are permitted. Bandages of rubber or rubberized substances are strictly forbidden. Wraps may be used as follows:

(a) Wrist wraps not exceeding 1m. (3ft 3.8 inches) in length and 8cm (3.15 inches) in width may be worn. Alternatively, wrist ‘bands’ not exceeding 10cm (3.937 inches) in width may be worn. A combination of the two is forbidden.

1) If wrist bands are “wrap-around” style, they may have thumb loops and a Velcro patch for securing them. However, the thumb loop shall not be over the thumb during the actual lift. The Velcro may not totally surround the wrist.

2) A wrist wrap shall not extend beyond 10cm (3.937 inches) above and 2cm (0.8 inches) below the centre of the wrist joint, not exceeding a covered width of 12cm (4.72 inches).

Thanks in advance  :)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Best wrist wraps?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:48:38 PM »
The most stiff I have used are my Convicts from APT. Though I tend to like my old Inzers because they are less bulky and still get the job done. They cost less than $20 I think? I have had the Inzers for 3 years and they are perfectly fine. Acceptable in any fed too, I believe.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:22:40 PM »
The most stiff I have used are my Convicts from APT. Though I tend to like my old Inzers because they are less bulky and still get the job done. They cost less than $20 I think? I have had the Inzers for 3 years and they are perfectly fine. Acceptable in any fed too, I believe.

Heard anything good about the elitefts wrist wraps? They have a few different ones. Would you recommend getting longer wrist wraps or is that unnecessary?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
Heard anything good about the elitefts wrist wraps? They have a few different ones. Would you recommend getting longer wrist wraps or is that unnecessary?

I find the longer wraps to be more trouble than they're worth. Also depends on the amount of support you need. Go with something in the middle to start. I dont bench much at all but my standard Inzers do the job when needed.

I have not heard anything about the EliteFts wraps but I imagine them to be expensive. Everything there tends to be. I like to stay loyal to APT whenever possible because they sponsor strength sports all over and actually have great prices on quality products.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 04:09:29 AM »
I have tried out several pairs. 
The APT Convict Pros are my fave, I love them. 
Inzers are second best for me, pretty much just as good... they are just a little tougher to break in, and my APTs are so great that I haven't fully broken in the Inzers yet. 
I have a pair of Titans as well, but I dont like them nearly as much.  I can't seem to wrap the Titans as tight as I like them by myself, although my husband got them on there nice and tight for me once. 
:)

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 08:25:31 AM »
I've used the Inzer Z wraps, the APT Convicts, and the Metal Double Line wraps.  I like the Metal ones the most for training wraps, but I like the Convicts as competition wraps.  Stiff as a goddamn board, feels like you're wrapping a cast around your wrist.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »
Thanks a lot guys. I think I will go with the APT convicts then. What length do you recommend?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 04:15:30 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. I think I will go with the APT convicts then. What length do you recommend?

I can't remember what mine are!   :-[

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »
apt strangulators..

convict pro support with softer wrap

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:28:02 AM »
apt strangulators..

convict pro support with softer wrap

A few of the big benchers at Super Training seem to use these a good bit.  Haven't tried them yet but they look like they'd be good wraps.

I like the longer ones so I can get them thick without having to stretch the shit out of them.  I would say 20" at the least, but probably a 24-36" depending on how much wrap you want.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 11:00:46 AM »
burn you're a big boy like me if i remember right? 250ish?  I LOVE the 36" wraps....the length i recommend to anyone who's got larger wrists and forearms unless your fed doesn't allow them since you competitively lift.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »
burn you're a big boy like me if i remember right? 250ish?  I LOVE the 36" wraps....the length i recommend to anyone who's got larger wrists and forearms unless your fed doesn't allow them since you competitively lift.

Not quite 250! lol. About 235-240 I think. May be slightly heavier. It's been a while since I checked and I definitely haven't lost any weight. lol.

My wrists are 7.25 inches, forearms really not that big, 12.5 inches I think I measured them cold relaxed at largest point. I think I will go with APT 24 inch wraps. 36 seems a little excessive for me and I worry a little about getting a good tight wrap with the longer ones. Also, seeing as the convicts and strangulators were recommended to me I'll order the hybrid of the two  ;D

(http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/138182)

Ordering them now, I'll let you guys know when I get them and how they work out for me. I really appreciate the help everyone!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 10:15:43 AM »
Got my wraps yesterday. Happened to be squatting yesterday as well. They made a hell of a difference on my wrists. No pain after squatting which is great, they really helped take the strain off. My skin on the underside of my wrists is kind of burnt from friction from the wraps. That's normal I guess?  ???

Again, thanks to everyone for the advice  :)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 04:10:46 AM »
Got my wraps yesterday. Happened to be squatting yesterday as well. They made a hell of a difference on my wrists. No pain after squatting which is great, they really helped take the strain off. My skin on the underside of my wrists is kind of burnt from friction from the wraps. That's normal I guess?  ???

Again, thanks to everyone for the advice  :)

Yeah, that's normal.  The backs of my knees are usually like hamburger after wrapping them for squatting!

Mesomorph79

• Getbig I
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
I have Inzer wrist wraps.  They have great support and are comfortable for heavy bench presses and heavy bicep curls...
"Fitness for Life"