Author Topic: Working at UPS as a loader...GREAT WORKOUT  (Read 24868 times)

nodeal

• Getbig III
Working at UPS as a loader...GREAT WORKOUT
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:58:22 PM »
I just got this job a week ago. I bust my ass for shitty pay but I leave work with my shirt soaked in sweat every day and feeling great. This job plus weight lifting is the ultimate in physical conditioning. Love it, fucking love it.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Re: Working at UPS as a loader...GREAT WORKOUT
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 02:58:50 PM »
is it still 8.50 an hour?
Deep Tissue Massage

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »
I just got this job a week ago. I bust my ass for shitty pay but I leave work with my shirt soaked in sweat every day and feeling great. This job plus weight lifting is the ultimate in physical conditioning. Love it, fucking love it.

that is a good honest job....and, you don't have to worry about your nipple getting bit off

Bast175

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »
I did that when I was in college for a month getting paid 8.50/hr and I wanted to shoot myself in the head.  I'd rather pick cotton.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 03:01:13 PM »
no way its only  8.50 an hour?

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:01:57 PM »
I did that when I was in college for a month getting paid 8.50/hr and I wanted to shoot myself in the head.  I'd rather pick cotton.

i did it from second half of senior year in high school to the day before i left for college.

that summer, me and a buddy double shifted.  so we did 1 shift til 10 pm, then came back from 2 to 7 am.  it was overtime from 2 to 7.

went from 210 to 175 lbs that summer.
Deep Tissue Massage

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 03:03:08 PM »

I did a similar job for one year and it fockin sucked after two weeks ;D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
Yeah guys its bullshit for the first 3 months they pay 8.50...then they move you up to 9.50, then 10 when you near the year mark...the job has awesome benefits but they don't even kick in until a year. The positive news is you have a secure job, its good honest work, they have some pretty sweet part-time advancements into management which can kick in before a year is up if you're a good worker, and they assist in tuition (up to 4,000 a year).

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 03:06:16 PM »
Yeah guys its bullshit for the first 3 months they pay 8.50...then they move you up to 9.50, then 10 when you near the year mark...the job has awesome benefits but they don't even kick in until a year. The positive news is you have a secure job, its good honest work, they have some pretty sweet part-time advancements into management which can kick in before a year is up if you're a good worker, and they assist in tuition (up to 4,000 a year).

do they still give you the Terminator style scanner to put on your forearm and finger?
Deep Tissue Massage

Bast175

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
i did it from second half of senior year in high school to the day before i left for college.

that summer, me and a buddy double shifted.  so we did 1 shift til 10 pm, then came back from 2 to 7 am.  it was overtime from 2 to 7.

It would take around 8300 hours of loading those trucks to buy one of those prestigious SUVs for your wife.  ;D  :-\

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 03:08:07 PM »

They only do 4 hours a day, 5 days a week where I work. They don't give any OT. 4 hours is a perfect amount of time IMO. Anything more would be overkill.

I did a similar job for one year and it fockin sucked after two weeks ;D

HA, I am just waiting for this job to get the best of me. Hopefully I can handle it.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 03:08:24 PM »
It would take around 8300 hours of loading those trucks to buy one of those prestigious SUVs for your wife.  ;D  :-\

true dat.

it was "honest work" though as the guy said, and when you're 17, the money's great.  right now, it'd be a little hard to get by on 8.50 an hour.
Deep Tissue Massage

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 03:09:32 PM »
do they still give you the Terminator style scanner to put on your forearm and finger?

The one I use has the scanner on your finger and a mini computer that you stick in your pocket. I'm glad I don't have something big and clunky stuck on my forearm. I've seen those, they look annoying to work with.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 03:16:03 PM »
I started out as a loader and then went to unload and Slide. I loved the Slide. Great to train and then head into there and the fuckin Humidity in South Carolina after working in those trailers and on the slide.....I use to drive home in my Undies....Not kidding  ;D I use to go through Subway and get a footlong after work every night
D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 03:21:25 PM »
I started out as a loader and then went to unload and Slide. I loved the Slide. Great to train and then head into there and the fuckin Humidity in South Carolina after working in those trailers and on the slide.....I use to drive home in my Undies....Not kidding  ;D I use to go through Subway and get a footlong after work every night

I love my post-work meal. Nothing better. Subway sounds like a good idea, I have one near the warehouse I just may start going there afterwards.

I've been hitting the gym before work as well. It's been working out fairly well. But tomorrow is the real test...LEG DAY before work. Fucking squats are going to kill me. We'll see how it goes.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 03:22:36 PM »
I wouldn`t do that kind of work even if you paid me.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »

Ya, you should just stick to your TANF check...

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »

I've always strayed away from manual labor, being more enticed by jobs that typically focused on mental strengths and intelligence in order to be performed efficiently. But there's some real value in going to work and busting your ass. It's making for a great part-time job while I work my way through school.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
I've always strayed away from manual labor, being more enticed by jobs that typically focused on mental strengths and intelligence in order to be performed efficiently. But there's some real value in going to work and busting your ass. It's making for a great part-time job while I work my way through school.

That is what i did for three years. That was one of the best experiences that i have ever did besides being a Coal Miner and that is tough as shit! The money was only like $225 a week and my union dues but i miss working at UPS and Working out before you came in. I loved lifting the E-regs for fun!!
D

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 03:44:07 PM »

Ask to get put on the slide. You will have "MONSTER" size delts!! Stay away from working the smalls. You are new there but try to get to one of the tower spots.
D

CMwings

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 04:00:34 PM »
I've worked for UPS for 2 years.. Started as a Loader now I am driving.. The pay goes WAY UP! Loading is a good workout, but is trted getting all kinds of old man pains in my elbows and shoulders that affected my workouts.. Great company! i'll never leave :)

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 04:02:59 PM »

never would of thought that since your built like a sherman tank

you just seem genetically cut out for manual labor ::) ::) ::)

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 04:03:11 PM »
been there/done that....get ready for ALL of your strength lifts to decrease...you'll prob drop 10-15 lbs too...don't know your current stats, might be a good thing

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 04:03:40 PM »
I worked at a similar style job for awhile.  It does get you in pretty good shape.  I actually miss those manual labor jobs...job burnout does that to you.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »
Fedex same thing, and it's $10/hr in some places. Demanding job, if you like it it's great conditioning for sure.