Author Topic: Do you train alone or with a partner?  (Read 2704 times)

paulsed1

• Getbig II
Do you train alone or with a partner?
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:00:19 PM »
Just curious to see what everyone does.  I have always trained alone and kind of prefer it that way.  The only pain is when it comes to flat and incline barbell pressing, I usually have to put myself out and ask someone for a spot.  I always feel kind of sheepish doing that.  Guys will always oblige, but I will occassionally get the "I wish you wouldn't bother me vibe".  Too bad I can't hire someone to come in and spot for that short period of time.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Do you train alone or with a partner?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
train by myself, i never hesitate to ask for a spot i just wait till their in between sets or they look like they are taking a break.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:03:40 PM »
I train alone but still talk to people. I'm not scowling with my House of Pain beanie.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 06:00:59 AM »
Alone. But i always train at the same time of day and have been doing so for ages, so i always go and the same people are there. My gym is small, so it might be just 6 or so people training and everyone knows each other. Pretty cool. Everyone helps each other out if need be.
No doubt about it...

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 06:06:08 AM »
Alone but I've been going to the gym long enough to know who's cool & who I can ask for a spot & who I wouldn't bother asking for anything.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 06:14:19 AM »
Always alone.

Team Horrible Genetics approved
I hate the State.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 07:06:28 AM »
I have a regular workout partner that sometimes calls in the morning to say she "can't make it today."  Like she just did >:(

Since I think my IPOD has something of a charge I plan to go to the gym...but am in danger of driving through the parking lot w/o going in.

R

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:30:05 AM »
Alone because all my friends over train.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »
A really good training partner makes a difference, but is not easily found. You want someone on the same page, willing to do a similar workout, with good chemistry and willingness to help one another. If you have that it's a considerable advantage but it isn't easy found. Without the close connection a training partner's less and less of an advantage unless someone is hired to push you like a personal trainer.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:00:26 AM »
A really good training partner makes a difference, but is not easily found. You want someone on the same page, willing to do a similar workout, with good chemistry and willingness to help one another. If you have that it's a considerable advantage but it isn't easy found. Without the close connection a training partner's less and less of an advantage unless someone is hired to push you like a personal trainer.

MQFT

I hate the State.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 08:05:11 AM »
MQFT

I think that's a good part of what Schwarzenegger and others wax nostalgic about, the training with likeminded, good people back in the day. I last had training partners around that same time, late 70s and early 80s and there was definitely a sense of camaraderie in the workouts, going out to eat after some of the time, etc. That only works if you can find good chemistry, in which case it's an advantage.

I thought about suggesting a child board or thread here in which BBs from the same city can connect as training partners; i think some other BB sites have that. You can get great workouts by yourself but a good training partner can be a nice enhancer.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
alone... i train fast and people dont like that  >:(

elite_lifter

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »
alone
I am a big baby

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »
I usually have to put myself out and ask someone for a spot.  I always feel kind of sheepish doing that.  Guys will always oblige, but I will occassionally get the "I wish you wouldn't bother me vibe". 

Don't worry about it, you're not asking much. The only problem is that very few other than veteran lifters know how to spot properly, and if you get stuck they'll lift the weight too quickly but it's better than nothin'.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 06:06:30 PM »
Don't worry about it, you're not asking much. The only problem is that very few other than veteran lifters know how to spot properly, and if you get stuck they'll lift the weight too quickly but it's better than nothin'.

Yep, that is annoying as shit. I'm kinda picky about who i ask to spot me. Most are good and spot correctly, but others tend to be a bit "grabby", and start grabbing the bar as soon as my speed slows down a bit.
No doubt about it...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 07:42:52 PM »
very very true

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 10:14:35 PM »
I used to have a training partner.  Now I train alone and avoid talking to people at the gym at all costs. 

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »
most of my workouts are all by myself,gives more confidence,but its also good to work out with a person who is a lot stronger than you, helps to improve your lifts.

io856

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 10:45:54 PM »
never met somebody yet who wants to go heavy and hard in the basics and come into the gym frequently...

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 05:50:14 AM »
Alone

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
I've generally trained alone.  I had a training partner for a while, but it got to the point where he was making excuses to not come to the gym, so it didn't work out.  I've never been bothered about asking anyone for a spot though, if you go regularly you get to know who's happy to help you out.  In my old gym, the guy behind the desk was always spotting people.

These days I train at home, and if I'm going heavy on bench/inclines, sometimes squats, I'll get my gf to come and spot me!

;D

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 05:04:16 AM »
I used to have several training partners in high school and college.  Now it's just me and the power rack. 

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 05:45:49 AM »
I train by myself i just ask for a spot from some buddies in there.

i dont want a training partner as i feel he gets into my training in a negative way, no matter how he pushes me and stuff.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »
i train the last 20 years alone...the first 8-9 years i trained with several training partners....because i work in different shifts (day-nightshifts...) itīs not possible to find someone who can train that often on different times of the day.....

a training partner maybe is good for someone who need a bit pressure to "kick ass himself".....

a big plus for training alone itīs the fact that you donīt have to make compromisses.....and you are much more flexible with your training

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 05:01:31 PM »
Alone, I have tried many workout partners in the past and none could keep up OR didnt like how hard i trained they just wanted someone to talk to while in the gym.