Author Topic: Best for abs  (Read 7270 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
Best for abs
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »
What is the single best exercise for ab definition and strength and single best dietary rule to follow?  Wondering what everyone's opinion is on this.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
Re: Best for abs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:04:00 AM »
leg raise, situp, land mine, all with weigh added.
asstropin

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »
its more of havine low body fat. everyone has a six pak. its just a matter of getting your body fat low enough to see it.

I just keep it simple and do some kind of leg raise roman, seated lying and a crunches  on the floor or decline and sometimes a twisting or a side crunch.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »
leg raise, situp, land mine, all with weigh added.

land mine?????..whats that?

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »
i like doing abs on the bench press, holding onto the bar, doing leg raises and pushing my feet t the ceiling...

watch at one minute...imagine doing on a bench press

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:15:59 AM »
What is the single best exercise for ab definition

Diet.

Work the compound movements like it's your last day on earth.  Those will collectively work your abs as much as you want.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:49:19 AM »
Bodyweight exercises are usually enough, but if you don't have decent ab thickness try standing cable crunches so that you can see them more prominently, even when you've got some fat.

Sprinting also rips the shit out of my abs, get your knees high.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 07:51:56 PM »
I would love to be able to use a roman chair, like they used back in the 60s, 70s and 80s! Too bad you don't see that apparatus anymore!

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 07:55:15 PM »
i like doing abs on the bench press, holding onto the bar, doing leg raises and pushing my feet t the ceiling...

watch at one minute...imagine doing on a bench press

Nice

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 08:47:15 AM »
Ab Wheel...around 5 bucks at Wal-Mart, Target, Right-Aid drugstores or other high end retail stores. Hits lower and upper ab's at the same time, which  all good ab work should. If you can do reps starting from a standing position, than you, my friend , have world beating abs. Good luck.
F

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 01:00:07 AM »
Ab Wheel...around 5 bucks at Wal-Mart, Target, Right-Aid drugstores or other high end retail stores. Hits lower and upper ab's at the same time, which  all good ab work should. If you can do reps starting from a standing position, than you, my friend , have world beating abs. Good luck.

Not that I ever had any respect for you before, but whatever I had just went out the window with the remains of my Big Mac and fries meal.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 02:06:47 AM »
One thing?

Diet.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 08:08:32 AM »
Pannie: hope your next Happy Meal taste better than your last one. Might check out K-Mart for a BlueLite special on Ab Wheels. Know that 5 bucks may be a little steep for your budget. Good Luck Bro.
F

shawn_ny

• Getbig I
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 08:01:18 AM »
Chair Ab Crunches, Side Bends and Seated Ab Twist are the best exercises for abs. I have been following these exercises with my resistance bands and in just 2 months my abs looks great. These bands worked really well for me. Low fat food is important too.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 08:37:16 AM »
Other than the Ab wheel that Pandaemonium recommends,there is this. While lying down (bench or floor...knees bent...feet held firmly down), hold a BB above the head (like completing a BP) and  begin crunches that way. A few guy's will come up all the way to a sit up position, but not needed. Different leverage shift on the ab area. Can be a tough exercise when more weight is added to the bar. Or hold a BB/DB, arms stretched out like doing a straight arm pullover, and try crunches. Different leverage again.

My view only...that's all: Ab's should be treated with-in a regular BB'ing rep scheme (8-12). 20 reps or more, of endless sets, is just spinning your wheels.Twice or three times a week should be more than enough.  Ab's are a very strong muscle structure and can be trained that way. If you want thick obliques than do side bends by all means. Sports training uses a form of this oblique work (over worked term..core strength). One of the better ab (or even legs) movements is working on a true Roman Chair. Which is kind of rare these days. What people sell as RC's are not always that. Good Luck.
F

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »

The one exercise:

Knowing when to put the fork down.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »
One more thing: The forced expiration of air.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 04:33:03 AM »
Low carbs, low fat, high protein.

Good abs.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 05:00:59 AM »
Never train abs. Can't be fucked.
No doubt about it...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 08:44:24 AM »
Webcke brings up a good point. Most guy's do not train abs. Or just play around and go through the motions when doing them. Might be surprised how a few top lifters avoid ab work all together. Good Luck.

F

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »
Chair Ab Crunches, Side Bends and Seated Ab Twist are the best exercises for abs. I have been following these exercises with my resistance bands and in just 2 months my abs looks great. These bands worked really well for me. Low fat food is important too.

explain how do you do chair ab crunches????

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 08:39:44 PM »
Hanging leg raises. Keep the legs straight.
G

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 02:57:19 AM »
Hanging leg raises. Keep the legs straight.

The only problem with doing them with your legs staright is that whilst it does hit your abs, it works your hip flexors even more. Most people already have tight hip flexors and don't stretch them (anyone serious about squatting will know that stretching hip flexors is very important) and constant stimulation of the hip flexors will make them even tighter over time, and can impact on your squatting ability.

So either do them with your knees bent, or just make sure you stretch your hip flexors after doing them.
No doubt about it...

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 09:22:09 PM »
Not that I ever had any respect for you before, but whatever I had just went out the window with the remains of my Big Mac and fries meal.
I love the way you started the sentence.
G

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »
Webcke is 100% correct. Bend the knees slightly and try to curl the the lower abs/hips up and in towards the body at the top position. The idea is to get a  tight contraction, which in return activates the lower and upper ab wall strongly. Can even do hanging leg raises one leg at a time for better muscle focus/ balance on the abs. Good Luck.
F