Author Topic: how much cardio  (Read 2871 times)

mirkok1

• Getbig I
how much cardio
« on: June 13, 2009, 04:17:28 PM »
my main goal is to get stronger, but my body fat level is high. can i make strength gains while losing bodyfat. how much cardio should i do to accomplish this?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: how much cardio
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 08:52:22 PM »
Half hour 5 times a week is a good start. 

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:13:43 PM »
So...... even a half an hour after lifting?? Isnt that counter productive for gaining muscle??

Not being a smart ass here im really wondering where i myself am still trying to get a good idea of ehrn and ehrn not to hit cardio.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:47:08 PM »
Half an hour won't hurt you......that is just about perfect. Precontest, you might bump that up to half an hour, twice a day......that way you won't lose any muscle. IMHO

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:07:54 PM »
So...... even a half an hour after lifting?? Isnt that counter productive for gaining muscle??

Not being a smart ass here im really wondering where i myself am still trying to get a good idea of ehrn and ehrn not to hit cardio.
It will be fine, don't listen to those permabulkers that tell you you can't do cardio after lifting because it will make you go catabolic  ::)

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:20:01 PM »
Yeah thats pretty much what i was thinking is that you body would fall into a catabolic state and start to eat the muscle.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »
been doing 30 min five times a week... no major changes on the scale but i look and feel better which in the end is what really matters

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 02:55:01 PM »
If you are heavy...DIET should be your main concern (2000 cals, high protein / low carb, meals every 3hrs)..then cardio & lifting. DO RESEARCH!!!! Articles, Magazines, Links on GB homepage, search function ect...

I used to be heavy (290lbs, 6'tall) 6yrs ago as a result of back surgery. What you need long slow duration. Sprinting and running will kill your knees.

I used to switch it up every day...and the order i did it. I picked from these..and just made sure I totalled an hour.
Bike 20 min, treadmill (fast walk) 20 min, elliptical 20 min, Punching bag (Punch as hard and as fast as you can for 1 min, rest 30 sec..repeat for 20 min). 6 days a week..I'd also add in a fast 30 min walk in the morning as well before breakfast.

Swimming worked great for me (and fat burning). Full body workout, more lung capacity, easy on the joints. It got me into Rugby Shape again.

Research ECA Stack, creatine..both help in fat reduction, one will help recovery and soreness.

Consistency & perseverance is the name of the game. Good Luck

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »
Thanx alot samoan im just trying to lose some weight because of back issues, Im taking lots of omega 3's and hitting cardio every other day for atleast 30 min's ( Lots of lifting ontop of that ) Lots of protein low carbs.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »
No prob. Creatine, multi vitamin and protein shakes are all i supp'd with though back then.

I lost 50lbs in 14wks.

Good luck.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »
Hey bench i have to say that i love the avatar freakin HILARIOUS

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 06:05:10 PM »
No prob. Creatine, multi vitamin and protein shakes are all i supp'd with though back then.

I lost 50lbs in 14wks.

Good luck.

50 lbs in 14 wks???....awesome...can you give us more details on how you acomplished this?....I want to try it...I need to lose a good 50 myself

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 07:41:52 AM »

50 lbs in 14 wks???....awesome...can you give us more details on how you acomplished this?....I want to try it...I need to lose a good 50 myself

Honestly...it was hell. I was tired and had to force myself to do the cardio (jacked up on caffine helped) and my joints killed me. Sometimes..towards the end I felt tired just doing the simple things like walking from my house to my mailbox..lol

Basically I did no carbs for 2 weeks then added carbs but only 100g a day (oatmeal), no carbs after lunch, ate every 3hrs, stayed at 2000 cals per day...DIET MUST BE SUPER CLEAN. This was the hardest part for me...Samoan culture believes all is cured by food...carb rich food (like greeks, italians ect..), so they try to stuff you every chance they get.

1hr cardio in the morning before breakfast (with ECA Stack) then 1hr after lifting. Total 3hr of exercise a day, 5 days a week and on Saturday I tried to do something active like kayaking, hiking, swimming ect.. Sunday was my day off.

Painlayer69

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 11:59:34 AM »
If you managed to stay at 2000 cals a day with little or no carbs then how much protein/fat were you taking in??

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »
If you managed to stay at 2000 cals a day with little or no carbs then how much protein/fat were you taking in??

natural fat from my foods (ate a lot of beef / salmon / seeds ect) and I would cook everything in olive oil. 1.5g protein per pound of body weight i believe..it's been a while. Basically it meat and after two weeks, little oatmeal and as much veggies as I wanted (kept me full)

I also took fiber supps..forgot to mention that. This is a MUST with low carb/ high protein diets!

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 09:30:42 PM »
Honestly...it was hell. I was tired and had to force myself to do the cardio (jacked up on caffine helped) and my joints killed me. Sometimes..towards the end I felt tired just doing the simple things like walking from my house to my mailbox..lol

Basically I did no carbs for 2 weeks then added carbs but only 100g a day (oatmeal), no carbs after lunch, ate every 3hrs, stayed at 2000 cals per day...DIET MUST BE SUPER CLEAN. This was the hardest part for me...Samoan culture believes all is cured by food...carb rich food (like greeks, italians ect..), so they try to stuff you every chance they get.

1hr cardio in the morning before breakfast (with ECA Stack) then 1hr after lifting. Total 3hr of exercise a day, 5 days a week and on Saturday I tried to do something active like kayaking, hiking, swimming ect.. Sunday was my day off.

good stuff...I got tired just reading about all the shit you did..keep up the good work..I will make an attempt to try this and see if it works for me

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 02:14:24 AM »
Try to separate your cardio sessions from your weight training as much as possible. If you are looking to gain mass, doing to much cardio and hitting the low cal diet is gonna make you lose weight alright... including any potential muscle.

Gain a solid muscle base first (even if you don't burn much fat)

Start with light cardio (maybe 1/2 hour twice daily) but keep the calories up  a bit.

First and foremost, get a home bodyfat tester. There is nothing worse than losing weight only to find out afterwards that it was all muscle weight. Sure, you will be lighter and smaller, and look good IN clothes, but that ain't the key here.

Muscle is your ability to burn fat. This is the only place the body burns fat. Use it, keep it. Start of easy and test your bodyfat.

Unless you are juicing, you will end up looking like a fat little rail.

Either diet hard OR cardio hard. Weights must come first.

You decide.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 07:18:31 AM »
Bro, no disrespect but...This would be true if he was a builder or at a decent body fat level...he isn't. He said he is heavy which to me means over 25-30+% BF. If this is the case, his biggest concern should be losing fat not keeping the 175lb lean "mass" under it all. Being out of shape, he will get great results the first year or two in all areas (strength, muscle gain, fat loss)

If he circuit trains (weights and cardio) he will gain strength and some muscle but more importantly burn fat..which again is most important at his level of health. Then, when below 20% bf he can then start thinking about switching up to a bulking cycle or at least increasing maintenance calories to keep any lean musle gained while continuing to burn more fat.

We all know in the end you have to choose on...bulk or cut. I'd say he's got enough bulk for now. I see Samoans at the beginning of Rugby season that are 6'4, 340+ lbs..sure they look very strong but in reallity...they're fat and can't run a single mile to save their life. Hence why most die around 55. When I go to the islands, it's RARE to see a really old guy. My dad has already outlived his father at the age of 56 (Gfather died at 54) and two of his YOUNGER brothers...unfortunately I can actually see his health declining these days and fear it won't be long.

Anyways..by the end of season those same guys now are 280 while still a little chubby, their muscle mass becomes more apparent and they can actually run (healthier) for most of the game (2 - 40 min halves)

Point is muscle is great and looking sexy is great, but being healthy and living long enough for you (and S.O.) to enjoy your results, family, life should be most important.

Just my $0.02

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 07:34:47 AM »

good stuff...I got tired just reading about all the shit you did..keep up the good work..I will make an attempt to try this and see if it works for me

Oh it will work...1hr lifting, 2hrs cardio with 2000 cals will strip fat off you and let you keep muscle (if your protein % is there) but it's hell.  Ask Mike A. Kiss those naked girl dreams goodbye, you'll start dreaming of food (pizza, burgers ect...). No lie.

Don't say I didn't warn you. :-\ Give advance notice to your family and friends that for the next 2-3 months your might be more of a prick at times  ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 10:10:09 AM »
T'alofa SI: agree with some of your post. Though do not see too many 6'4 and 340+ Samoans going out for any kind of sports, either in America Samoa, Long beach, Carson, Oceanside or any where else (if bouncing or security special  event guard is a sport...OK than). Too busy with the 40's.

An 18 year old that size (fat included) and a little motivation and better than average speed, could land a partial or full (NCCA very strict of late) scholarship at USC ( trouble times there...always wondered why the west coast teams get under the spotlight  the most),, BYU or the U. Always need a guy that size just to move 2 or 3 feet on 4 or 5 line plays a game. Though hard to get special helmets to fit some of those studs.

Remember that before the white Gods arrived, Samoans & Hawaiians were somewhat lean and muscular (we know this through many ship records and explorers  journals). And of course, large bone, with wide frames. Heard of the Missionary position? How about the Missionary diet, with overprocessed grains, canned meats/veggies and maybe the number one causes of future obese and health problems...white sugar & flour.  This was a more Christian way to eat. Still adapted today, yes quite a few of the clan seems to be checking out early, usually a little after 60. Bad diet, to me, is the number one cause. Heart and  high blood pressure seems to lead. Most all my Samoan bloods have crap diets. Even the younger jocks who should know better. Though a few in the Pro's are making changes. Three of my cousins who were in, or are now in, the NFL are trying to do this. Two of there white wifes are dumping on them all the time about that. Kind of funny watching that.

Far as cardio goes, favoring interval training, rather that marathon style cardio workouts, can insure muscle gained will be muscle kept with any fat lost program. Again, Tabata leads in my view. And maybe two to four times a week (never two days in a row) max at that. Dropping carbs goes hand in hand with this, or any other, fat reduction. Good Luck.
F

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »
Remember that before the white Gods arrived, Samoans & Hawaiians were somewhat lean and muscular (we know this through many ship records and explorers  journals). And of course, large bone, with wide frames. Heard of the Missionary position? How about the Missionary diet, with overprocessed grains, canned meats/veggies and maybe the number one causes of future obese and health problems...white sugar & flour.  This was a more Christian way to eat. Still adapted today, yes quite a few of the clan seems to be checking out early, usually a little after 60. Bad diet, to me, is the number one cause.

Malo Uso! You samoan or afa?

Agreed, only in the last 15 years did they start getting really fat back home. Funny enough, Mc'D, KFC and Pizza joints started showing up around that time. When I was a kid, the only fat people I used to see where American tourist.

Back in the day their (polynesians in general) diet consisted of mainly island veggies, fruits and really only two carb / starch source = Taro(root similar to potato) & breadfruit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadfruit). Protein was anything they could bring out of the sea. EVERY family had a plantation of sorts with Taro, breadfruit and banana trees (remember..no grocery stores). So Farm work, no sugar, low carb, low fat diet = Lean and Muscular.

Back on topic though...

Painlayer really needs to bring down the BF% before trying to "bulk up" muscle.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 07:24:29 PM »
interesting posts...learning some good stuff here

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »
Good reply SamoanIrishman.

You are right. I probably didnt read through the whole original post, but when someone is just starting out, burning fat is gonna be key. If they wait they will get impatient. The 175 (underneath) or whatever is inconsequential.

Good post.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
SI, keeping this short:

Born Tutuila island, Fagatogo, grew up around Pago Pago village/harbor area.
Father died when I was 10. So I and my mother and 2 sisters came to mainland (more family support on her side). Lived in North Long Beach (1 and a 1/2 year)  near Willowbrook/Compton line. Settles in Oceanside/Carlsbad SD county area. Played football four years (starter) in the Pac 10. Only  been back once to AS and that was only a side trip, on a 3 month surfing safari. First impressions of the mainland was that home boy Samoans (unless they were serious about sports) here were too fat and sloppy (all day 40's and Popeye Chicken?) and how weak the Mexican and black kids my age were. Not too many white boys around to compare with in NLB. Kind of funny I thought.

When reducing carbs to the 40 to 60 gram daily range, most people find that calorie may not be the first concern. The energy still stays to a reasonable level for that period even in the 3,000 cal range. Had some athletes, who have to make a lower weight class, just pay attention to the lower carbs, get excellent results. That and the adding of  select form of interval workouts (from 8 to 20-30 minutes max). Metabolism differ for each of us, but might try the lower carb level for a week or so and notice any results. Good Luck.

F

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »
SI, keeping this short:

Born Tutuila island, Fagatogo, grew up around Pago Pago village/harbor area.

Cool..my family is from Leone, AS...I was there 2yrs ago (i go back ever 2 years or so for some funeral or wedding..you know how that is)..got my tat's there as well..old school style! 1 full day of tap tap tap tap tap...it sucked.

might try the lower carb level for a week or so and notice any results. Good Luck.

First 2 weeks will be mostly water loss, you'll need to be on it at least 6 to see real results. 12-16 is best.